Do young adults in the UK not want to work?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you ask why those 3 were late?

Christ alive..... It's not the employer's responsibility to run after those little darlings to see if someone stubbed their toe on the way?!?!

The 5 people didn't turn up failed to even ring to say they weren't going to make it. That's the most basic expectation you could have of someone. They all have mobiles. A simple phone call saying why you're not coming.

Why the should the employer have to ASK why you're late for an interview? If you have the audacity to be late for an interview, surely the first thing you need to do is apologise for your lateness and give an explanation?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I am looking to train this person up into a better skill.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

Firstly, that is a really rude and sweeping statement. Sure there are people who don't want to work, but they range from the age of entiltement to benefits through to state pension age - it is not purely a 'young person' problem.

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you just automatically assume that person's mother was making an excuse?
    Did you wonder why those people couldn't afford to get proper interview clothes, or why they never had help in interview prepping?

Maybe the problem isn't those people, but yourself in not asking, or for outside factors not preparing them for such environments.

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.

LOL. way to go. you have just epitomized everything that is wrong with our generation. blame everyone and take no responsibility for your actions.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

Firstly, that is a really rude and sweeping statement. Sure there are people who don't want to work, but they range from the age of entiltement to benefits through to state pension age - it is not purely a 'young person' problem.

Did you wonder why those people couldn't afford to get proper interview clothes, or why they never had help in interview prepping?

Maybe the problem isn't those people, but yourself in not asking, or for outside factors not preparing them for such environments.

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.

I understand your reasoning, but to be fair, it is not my place to ask the questions you have answered with.

If a young person wants a job and to get off a life of benefits there are advisers at job centres where they go to look for jobs. They can go on courses to help with CV`s and form filling. They can get help with practice interviews.

If you see a position advertised for a job opening then you prepare.

If there is a genuine reason why you can not attend the interview then it is common courtesy that you would phone the company and explain the reason why and ask to re arrange the interview.

If you have other qualifications then come along to the interview and see if we can expand on your training.
  • CollieFit
    Options

LOL. way to go. you have just epitomized everything that is wrong with our generation. blame everyone and take no responsibility for your actions.

...and can't spell University...
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Until someone in authority has the guts to stand up to the Eurocrats and remove peoples human right to stay on benefits for life we are in trouble. A simple answer would be sign on at least three times a week for benefits and randomly on two of those days they will be allocated work, picking litter, deep cleaning hospitals, gardening for those unable. The choice of doing a few hours work to get the benefits would interfere with the black economy earnings and the easy/lazy lifestyle option removed, the choice to work would be easier for most of them.
  • twinketta
    Options
    You get people that would rather do nothing and live off benefits rather than get off their lazy bums and do something.

I am a young person who has just got my fist full time job...it sure as hell is tiring but it has taken me 5 years to be exactly where I want to be, so I'm not going to blow it by being lazy now!

I remember being interviewed once...I got told I didn't wear enough make up to the interview that's why I didn't get the job over the other girl...sure it was for a cosmetics counter...but i didn't want to go in CAKED for first impressions. I also got one that was very rude to me when I said I enjoyed watching Rugby. I hate interviews because I have had bad experiences in the past - but I wouldn't not give it my all.

Good for you x

Interviews are hell on earth for everyone trying to put yourself over as the best person for the job...glad you got the position x
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

Actually, since I turned 16 I have only been 'unemployed' for three months on maternity.
    I have never received benefits.
    I am currently working.
    I have unertaken lots of training to ensure I have widened my employment possibilities - call centre work, bar training, lifeguarding courses etc.
    I have applied for over 60 jobs since graduation in June and had 2 interviews.

It's not always as clear cut as "young people can't be bothered".
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

Christ alive..... It's not the employer's responsibility to run after those little darlings to see if someone stubbed their toe on the way?!?!

The 5 people didn't turn up failed to even ring to say they weren't going to make it. That's the most basic expectation you could have of someone. They all have mobiles. A simple phone call saying why you're not coming.

Why the should the employer have to ASK why you're late for an interview? If you have the audacity to be late for an interview, surely the first thing you need to do is apologise for your lateness and give an explanation?

If you read what he said he never actually said whether they did or didn't contact him, whether they did or didn't apologise/explain lateness just that 5 people never showed and 3 were late.

I am merely stating that it isn't always as clear cut as "young people are lazy and don't want to work" - it's rude, it's sweeping and from my own experiences it is wrong. Every single person I know aged 17/18-mid twenties either works, or is actively trying their hardest to look for work and is not on benefits.
  • Amanojaku
    Options
    First off, I think their behaviour is horrible! If you aren't going to show you should at least call, same with being late!

But... I will say that I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for a job that pays just over minimum wage. I am not familiar with the UK, but here in the US I have experienced that working for "just over" minimum wage is significantly more difficult than asking the government for assistance. Also, is this a part time or full time position? When I worked for the "just over" wage it was part time. I had to work every weekend, normally in the evening and honestly? After taxes my check just was not worth it. It felt like I worked hard (because I have a work ethic and I wasn't lazy) and I still couldn't pay my bills or put food on the table or invest in my future.

I was lucky enough to secure a spot in a better paying position within the company, but honestly, if I was still in that position (I very well could be, I have only been there for a year) I would have quit by now. I think people underestimate sometimes, how tough it is mentally to do a simple job. I know, it sounds ridiculous. But in the back of your head you are saying "I am standing here putting things on a shelf to get a paycheck that wont put a dent in my bills when I could be at home doing the laundry or I could be spending time with my family or I could be doing something actually worth my time". Its exhausting!

You are pretty close to what is happening. It doesn't matter what job you are working, what you are paying for is a person's time. Everything in human nature is risk vs reward. It is easier to work the system almost needed to in order to maintain some happiness in peoples lives. We don't want jobs we need security (food, water, ariable land, shelter, health, retirement, entertainment).

The current society structure has increasingly widened the diversity gap of money between rich and poor. This means our minimum wage is not enough to provide for the securities we need, when min is raised it is just spyhoned from the poor to the rich again making it useless since it is not enforced properly. Just another form of slavery in my opinion. If you take away the programs that provide food, and money for unemployment then you have a depression, millions of people on the streets homeless, crime essentialy do you want to live in a nation like india?

The government never seems to adress and fix the actual problems humans need, they have been long since been bought and corrupted by money, corporations it is a small club and we are not apart of it. This is why as people I ask that everyone look into the venus project. Go on youtube and watch any/all talks by Jacque Fresco and his venus project to have a better understanding of what life can be and it is achievable only if we work together.

thevenusproject.com
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter why someone wasn't able to go or was late, the issue is that they didn't bother notifying the company! Seriously, if you want the job, how bloody hard is it to pick up the phone and say you have an emergency situation?? After all, you do that and the company may well reschedule the interview....but not notifying them is bloody ignorant. As for being late, the onus is on the person who's tardy to explain why they weren't there on time and not on the employer to question them!

Seriously?? No help in prepping for interviews and don't have the initiative to sort out some smart clothes? Sorry, but to my ear you're currently being the voice of the spoon-fed few..."Wahh wahh wahh there's nobody to do it all for me and it's all so difficult...wahh wahh"
    Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy.

Some young people come clutching their degree in Media Studies or something equally dumb from McDuff University and expect to walk straight into a well-paid job simply because they have a degree. The last 2 graduates I interviewed were horrendous; the first had the levels of spelling and grammar I'd expect from a 12yr old and peppered every sentence with "Umm" and "Like" and the second left when I said there'd be a short test on written English skills, saying the whole thing was "too stressful."
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    [/quote]
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Actually, since I turned 16 I have only been 'unemployed' for three months on maternity.
    I am currently working.
    I have unertaken lots of training to ensure I have widened my employment possibilities - call centre work, bar training, lifeguarding courses etc.

[/quote]
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No its not always clear cut but unfortunately a good number do not want to work, a good number also breed for housing and benefits. I commend you for your efforts and can see your problem at feeling all youngsters are getting tarred with the same brush but facts are facts and whatever the reason a lot of people do choose to believe the world owes them a living not just the young.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am currently working.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No its not always clear cut but unfortunately a good number do not want to work, a good number also breed for housing and benefits. I commend you for your efforts and can see your problem at feeling all youngsters are getting tarred with the same brush but facts are facts and whatever the reason a lot of people do choose to believe the world owes them a living not just the young.

"A lot of people do choose to believe the world owes them a living not just the young".

That is my point.

This man has came on and stated that because a handful of people done x, y or z that it means "young adults don't want to work".
    No, it isn't just young adults - it is all people, from all walks of life, of all ages.
    To make such a sweeping statement is rude.

And yes, those people probably should have had the common sense to call if they weren't showing or were late, but they didn't - that doesn't mean they don't 'want' to work, that means they lack common sense.

Also, the OP never stated what the job was only it was something paying just above national wage. Depending on the line of work, the hours offered, and the position of those attending for interview, they may not felt it necessary to wear suits/dressy trousers, to phone if not attending etc (I am talking about casual shop work or something similar).

You cannot make such sweeping statements like that based on such bias. I wouldn't want to work for an employer like that.
  • CollieFit
    Options

Some young people come clutching their degree in Media Studies or something equally dumb from McDuff University and expect to walk straight into a well-paid job simply because they have a degree. The last 2 graduates I interviewed were horrendous; the first had the levels of spelling and grammar I'd expect from a 12yr old and peppered every sentence with "Umm" and "Like" and the second left when I said there'd be a short test on written English skills, saying the whole thing was "too stressful."

The utter shodd I get to interview who are supposed to be "graduates". It's ridiculous. Makes me think degrees are no longer worth the paper they're written on. Spelling and grammar is horrendous. These are people who have to be capable of writing case records and reports which may be read out in court. It's embarrassing. And don't start me on communication skills.... social skills.... how to dress... Similarly to the lady who was looking to employ a dental nurse who had people turning up in shorts and crop tops, I have folk turning up in flip flops with seriously deep cleavages for social work positions. :noway:
  • TheSlorax
    Options

I am currently working.

yes and I am 21, work full time, and live on my own. I lease a 2013 model year car. I have several credit cards with moderate credit limits and am actively working towards being able to own my first home in the next 5-7 years. I receive no help from anyone, financial or otherwise.

this is not a pissing contest. your post epitomized the young person's attitude that nothing is their fault and that everyone exists solely to help them. which, amusingly, completely coincides with the OP.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

yes and I am 21, work full time, and live on my own. I lease a 2013 model year car. I have several credit cards with moderate credit limits and am actively working towards being able to own my first home in the next 5-7 years. I receive no help from anyone, financial or otherwise.

this is not a pissing contest. your post epitomized the young person's attitude that nothing is their fault and that everyone exists solely to help them. which, amusingly, completely coincides with the OP.

I'm glad everyone over the age of 25 is in employment and, if not, actively seeks work.
    Oh wait ...

The OP made a rude, sweeping statement when it isn't only young adults who don't want to work. The OP made such a statement based on an interview for one position, hardly above the minimum wage which is completely biased and based on no solid evidence.
  • TheSlorax
    Options

I'm glad everyone over the age of 25 is in employment and, if not, actively seeks work.
    Oh wait ...

OP was not about that. she specifically mentioned young adults. lazy adults over 25 is an entirely different subject.
  • twinketta
    Options

I am currently working.

"A lot of people do choose to believe the world owes them a living not just the young".

That is my point.

This man has came on and stated that because a handful of people done x, y or z that it means "young adults don't want to work".
    No, it isn't just young adults - it is all people, from all walks of life, of all ages.

And yes, those people probably should have had the common sense to call if they weren't showing or were late, but they didn't - that doesn't mean they don't 'want' to work, that means they lack common sense.

Also, the OP never stated what the job was only it was something paying just above national wage. Depending on the line of work, the hours offered, and the position of those attending for interview, they may not felt it necessary to wear suits/dressy trousers, to phone if not attending etc (I am talking about casual shop work or something similar).

You cannot make such sweeping statements like that based on such bias. I wouldn't want to work for an employer like that.

If you consistently make excuses then you do not have good work ethic. In an interview you will most likely be asked a question such as ` what would you do?`

The interviewer is going to look for a direct answer not an excuse.

The position I am offering is 40 hours a week. So full time. I am a `SHE` not a `HE` and I would expect the employee to work and make an effort to dress accordingly for an interview. If they can not make the time appointed then I would ask that they let me know. Not waste my time or some other candidates time.

It really is not hard, IMO
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

I am currently working.

That is my point.

If you consistently make excuses then you do not have good work ethic. In an interview you will most likely be asked a question such as ` what would you do?`

The interviewer is going to look for a direct answer not an excuse.

The position I am offering is 40 hours a week. So full time. I am a `SHE` not a `HE` and I would expect the employee to work and make an effort to dress accordingly for an interview. If they can not make the time appointed then I would ask that they let me know. Not waste my time or some other candidates time.

It really is not hard, IMO

So did you ask them directly why they were late, or thought it appropriate to dress a certain way?
    If not, then they may not have felt like it was something that should be mentioned.

There are two sides to every story, and IMO if an interviewer does not ask all the questions that are necessary and later ***** about it, then they do not have a good work ethic either.
  • Denisse210
    Denisse210 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ive been working since i was 15, my parents cut me off :grumble: lol i still lived at home but if i wanted anything other than the bare minimum i had to work for. Needless to say i have now been in banking 6 yrs and working in general for 9 yrs.:smile:
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think many unemployed persons want to find a job that they "like" and that is "fun". They are kind of missing the point that this isn't the primary purpose of working.
    My sister is 45 and had this attitude. She's still looking. I get very cross about it you have such a circular argument with people with this sense of entitlement.

I would take it from the OP comments, if people didn't bother to show up, they also didn't bother to have the manners to contact her to reschedule. If they had a decent excuse they would have done that. So not bothering is, well , not bothering. There are not many things (well maybe a death in the family) that are good enough excuses to not go to a job interview.