What are the top 5 things you recomend to do to lose weight?

Replies

• 1. play the long game - focus on changing your mindset, first and foremost, rome wasn't built in a day
    2. no cheating - and if you do cheat, remember that you're only cheating yourself
    3. exercise - it does wonders for your body
    4. no starvation diets - they make absolutely no sense
    5. enjoy the process, your new body and your new life - you deserve it!
  • LivDiz
    LivDiz Posts: 8 Member
    Great!! Bump!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Whenever someone asks how I lost all the weight, I always give them my 3 point weight loss plan,

1. Eat Less
    2. Move More
    3. Lift heavy things

But I guess I can come up with 2 more:
    4. BE PATIENT (all caps cuz its just that important)
    5. Find a workout you enjoy, otherwise you won't keep it up.
  • Only a few months on MFP but I hear these work delightfully

1) raspberry ketones
    2) no fat. Or carbs. Or sugar. Or food.
    3) Dr. Oz
    4) super unsupportive friends and family
    5) < 1200 calories
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    This may be bad advice (re: working out), but it is working very well for me. I'm on step 4.

1. Fix the mental problem first. Everyone obese has one... fixing it can be difficult, but it is practically essential...

Of these, #1 is by far the most important. I think 99% of weight loss is your state of mind...

My mental block was a big one... which, in a way, made it easy to find and hard to acknowledge.

Yes, yes, upvoted to all of this. I think the only reason I'm sticking with this now is because I did (and am doing) the heavy lifting psychologically.

My tips:

1. As above- work on your head first. If you can get that worked out- through reading, talking with friends, seeing a therapist- everything else is going to be much easier.
    2. Write everything down and be honest.
    3. Start slow. Make small changes that you think you can live with. Then see if you can live with them.
    4. Drink as few of your calories as possible.
    5. Be as kind and steady and patient with yourself as you know how. You are going to fail, at some point, because we all do. Do not let that failure be the end of things- pick yourself up, put on a few band-aids, cry a little if you need to. Then do it again. The only way you lose is if you never come back.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Lazy - I just copied this from my profile.

My four pillars of weight-loss.
    1) Years of therapy. I acknowledge that not all chubbitude is sourced in depression, but mine sure was.
    2) Log EVERYTHING - I document every gram of everything I eat or drink. I've found that if I don't journal, my eating goes on autopilot. An autopilot programmed by Augustus Gloop. Documenting everything helps keep me aware.
    3) Reduce refined foods. Sugar and flour in all of their many guises are the enemy - though I still indulge on occasion.
    4) Kettlebell workouts. Most workouts leave me bored stupid. So. Lame. Kettlebells have been the one thing that has kept my interest. Been doing them since March 2012
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    comment for future reference
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    This is a life choice so dont be in such a hurry when you really have no reason to rush. Enjoy life, it goes by fast enough already.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Track it
    Make healthy choices a habit (nutrition and exercise)
    The fewer rules the better, keep it simple and sustainable
    It's not a sprint
    Enjoy the process, we are incredibly lucky to be alive
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Bump
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member

2) Log EVERYTHING - I document every gram of everything I eat or drink. I've found that if I don't journal, my eating goes on autopilot. An autopilot programmed by Augustus Gloop. Documenting everything helps keep me aware.

THIS!!!!!
    (I love the Willy Wonka reference!)
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    1. Never refer to your weight loss as a "journey".

2. Measure and account for everything that you put in your mouth.

3. Adopt a strength training routine that incorporates progressive overload training with heavy lifting to preserve muscle during weight loss.

4. Don't adopt a nutrition plan that has you eliminating foods because you've been told they're not good for you. Do your research about nutrition and understand that what really matters is the macronutrient breakdown of your total daily intake as well as your fiber, and micronutrient intake.

5. Eat the foods you love, without going over your calorie goal, make sure you reach your protein, fat, and fiber minimums every day

Why can't you call it a "journey"? I'm just curious.

I did not put the rule up, but I completely agree. This is not a journey. There is no desination. Good health is a way of life that does not end when you reach a number on a scale, or BMI chart, or body fat %. If I call it a journey I am telling myself this way of life will be over at some point and then I can go back to not moving enough and eating too much. That is not the case. I plan to live healthy for the rest of my life. I believe it is a lifestyle not a journey.
  • 1. Never refer to your weight loss as a "journey".

2. Measure and account for everything that you put in your mouth.

3. Adopt a strength training routine that incorporates progressive overload training with heavy lifting to preserve muscle during weight loss.

4. Don't adopt a nutrition plan that has you eliminating foods because you've been told they're not good for you. Do your research about nutrition and understand that what really matters is the macronutrient breakdown of your total daily intake as well as your fiber, and micronutrient intake.

5. Eat the foods you love, without going over your calorie goal, make sure you reach your protein, fat, and fiber minimums every day

Why can't you call it a "journey"? I'm just curious.

I did not put the rule up, but I completely agree. This is not a journey. There is no desination. Good health is a way of life that does not end when you reach a number on a scale, or BMI chart, or body fat %. If I call it a journey I am telling myself this way of life will be over at some point and then I can go back to not moving enough and eating too much. That is not the case. I plan to live healthy for the rest of my life. I believe it is a lifestyle not a journey.

I guess I don't see the point either. But maybe it's how people view life. I personally view life as a journey....so I view health as a journey too. It doesn't have to have an end.
  • Only a few months on MFP but I hear these work delightfully

1) raspberry ketones
    2) no fat. Or carbs. Or sugar. Or food.
    3) Dr. Oz
    4) super unsupportive friends and family
    5) < 1200 calories

Hahahah! So right!! Dr. Oz is like God!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    1. It starts with motivation. When your motivation is right, failure is not an option. Missteps may occur, but a misstep is not failure.

2. If you have an end point in mind, you are doing it wrong. The journey is the end point. Goals are nothing more than waypoints.

3. Plan for hardship. What are you going to do on days you don't feel like working out? How will you respond to difficult diet situations? Be prepared. One of my rules that I have NEVER broken, if I have a planned workout, I do something, even if nothing more than a token effort of couple minutes walking on the treadmill; staying in the pattern and cultivating habits is the most important thing you can do long term.

4. Don't overcomplicate things, always keep things as simple as possible. Losing weight is easy. It just takes time and consistency.

5. Losing weight is easy, maintaining that loss is hard. Once loss is occurring, you can pretty much turn all your attention to how you are going to maintain your loss once you have nothing left to lose. It takes a long term plan, and sticking to that plan. It takes years for new habits to become ingrained.
  • lisa0527
    lisa0527 Posts: 49 Member
    Number 1 is to record EVERYTHING you eat.
    So many of us eat a little mindlesly. Usually healthy, but without paying too much attention to portion size or total calories. It's easy to think you're on track because everything you're eating is "good for me", when the calories are actually adding up. Being mindful and aware of what you're eating is super important. That means measuring and weighing most things. You'd be surprised how small 100 grams of greek yogurt actually is! And pay attention to the nutritional break down.

2. When you're at a bit of a plateau try a few days of higher protein. OR, try a couple of days of eating at a higher calorie level. Then back to the usual. Seems to work for me. Don't freak out when you hit a plateau.

3. Stick with it even if you can't be perfect. Don't let the occasional lapse throw you off. My moto is "anything worth doing, is worth doing badly". A bad day on myfitnesspal is better than a day off it. Again, don't freak out.

4. Exercise! But remember that sore muscles retain water so you may weigh a bit more the day after an intense workout. Don't freak out if that happens.

5. Build a support group of friends on the same journey.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    eat less.

move more.

Really..thats all there is to it.

This is exactly what I tell people when they ask me how I did it!
  • Denisse210
    Denisse210 Posts: 292 Member
    bump for later:smile:
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Don't deprive yourself of food you like.

Swim

Don't let yourself get "bored"

Swim

Figure out a way to hold yourself accountable, as opposed to relying on others for accountability. (even though I have nothing against group accountability, it's always good to be able to hold yourself accountable)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    2. Never skip breakfast or you will want to eat more at lunch and dinner.
    Subjective. I skip breakfast every morning and balance the rest of my calories throughout the rest of the day including lunch and dinner.
    5. Never eat just before bed.
    Meal timing is irrelevant unless one can't sleep after a big meal. If one meets calorie limits right before be time and can sleep, then it's fine to eat before bed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition