What did you do with your old clothes?

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have been donating most of my "too big" clothes, though I still keep a few items that I wear around the house. Yesterday I attended a clothing swap where I was able to get rid of the last of my transition clothes. This was my first clothing swap, it was interesting and I left with less than I came with, which is good. I still have some suit separates that I'm trying to decide whether or not to donate or have them altered.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Every Spring & Fall I go through both of my closets and thin them. Not just for size, but style and wear.... Anything worth donating, I donate to a women's shelter that gives them to women interviewing and re-entering to the work force. I don't want anyone to have to pay for them... and as a survivor, it's my little way of giving back.

LOVE this idea - much better idea than the Salvation Army plan I'd worked out. Thanks!
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I donated a bunch of pants earlier in my journey and will do a full closet overhaul once I reach my goal. I have no intention of keeping my fat clothes because I swear I will never let myself get big enough to need them ever again. Definitely looking forward to donating lots more clothes soon!
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have altered some things along the way. My 12's pants are an 8, while large tops are mediums or smalls. My belts I took to a shoe repair place and had him cut 3 inches off from the buckle end and punch a hole. I have given some clothes and shoes to friends. Work clothes have gone to Suited for Success. I donated to American Red Cross. I am not going back to that size so why should it take up space in my closet.
  • Slenderizeme1
    Slenderizeme1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I sell my clothes that are too big on ebay, they sell so fast and then I use that money to buy the next size down. So far Im down from a size 24 to a 20 now. My 20 is getting big so I will be selling them on ebay so I can buy my next size down then.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I never paid a whole lot for my old ones, because I love garage sales and goodwill (clearance racks, too!!!), so I guess it was easier to just get rid of them. I donated mine to friends, or one of the thrift shops around here. It is very freeing. And, don't ever go back to that XXL size!
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My weight loss effort took two years. Along the way, I donated all of the clothing that I shrunk out of. I felt it was very important to not have the larger sizes available to me. This fueled my motivation to keep losing weight. I bought a new wardrobe three times during my weightloss effort. I did not buy a full selection of clothing, just a few pieces to get me through a couple seasons. I have been at my current size for just over a year. What helps me to maintain my weight is feeling the snuggness in my clothes when I gain a few pounds.

One regret I do have is not saving one piece of clothing from my largest size. I would have liked to have something as a reminder.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Donated every item not worn in one year and each item that was worn out or too large, I am still working on the last 10 #, but am looking forward to 2 more pairs of jeans I want to fit in well again.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am almost to maintenance, but as I shrink out of an item of clothes it goes.....I have sold some items, but I mostly just give them to the women's shelter, or some other group that can make good use of them. No need to keep them for me, I am NEVER going back to those sizes, and knowing I have no other clothes to fall back into should I get off track is a good incentive to keep it off!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I donated mine to a women's shelter. The co-ordinator said they could really make use of all my business stuff on job interviews
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have a switch and swap party where you invite several friends over making sure some are your size and some are the size your were so we can switch with each other and enjoy the company at the same time. Here is how it goes

Everyone brings what they don't want in a big bag

The hostess grabs one bag at a time and holds each item up in the bag for all to see and first person who raises their hands gets to have it.

Any unwanted items go to salvation army

We then enjoy food and company :}
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I sold my clothes at a consignment shop for in store credit towards new clothes. That way, I'm not without clothes and I'm not spending a fortune on new clothes.

Also, if you need new clothes while still losing, places like TJ Maxx and Ross Dress For Less have some very affordable options.

pretty much the same thing. :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I kept many of my favorite "fat clothes" just in case ... and sure enough, through the years the weight did creep back on. But even though I did get back to almost where I was to start (about 50 pounds over) my body was still different, and styles had changed and my tastes had changed ... so they still didn't even work.

As I've been losing again, it's nice to fit back into some of the clothes I had gotten to big for. I didn't get rid of them, I was hopeful I'd fit into them again. Still working ... still some I want to get back into. And again, I have some that are now too big.

I give to... and also shop thrift stores. I figure if everyone is donating all their clothes as they change sizes, there ought to be a lot of great finds there!
  • japarenti
    japarenti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Consignment is a great idea but whatever you do, get rid of them. Good way to keep control of your weight. Your clothes get tight, you know somethings going on and can do something about it rather than just switch to the larger sizes you have tucked away!
  • RachelFrost1
    RachelFrost1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The nice ones I sold at a consignment shop. The ok ones went to the Goodwill. I don't want them hanging around anymore!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I donated to Goodwill. It was really hard because I had an attachment to clothes that I had good memories in. (sigh!) Not going back to my old weight and that is a promise!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Kept them all because I like my clothes. :laugh:

Glad I did, too, because I am currently eating at a surplus for a slow bulk and I have begun returning to my old pants. Quite happily, too.

:flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Sold on ebay or donated to charity.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I took most of mine to a clothing consignment store where I got 40% of what they sold each item for. I made over $600 last year on my fall and winter and spring and summer stuff that was too big. What they didn't take, I donated to my local domestic violence women's shelter for the survivors staying there or for them to sell in their resale shop. Some clothes I did give to other friends loosing weight too. I only kept one pair of 3XL pants to have but the rest I got rid of. While loosing weight I bought alot of clothes at Salvation Army on Saturdays when they would have a certain price tag color on sale for 49 or 59 cents. I had never shopped at any of those type of stores before but I started when I was only in a size for a month or less. I still go there and shop even now. I have found brand new clothes there with the orginal price tags on. I don't try anything on, I just take it home and wash in hot water and high on dryer and then try on, if it fits great if it doesn't I just re donate it cause it was only 50 cents in cost to me! I also shop the $1 rack at the clothing consignment store I take things too also. I have bought new bras, undies, pjs stuff like that and I have bought new clothes now that I am maintence but after getting such good bargains I have a hard time paying the prices at the retail stores for clothes! I picked up a leather Wilson Jacket for $5 last year! It was in great shape!! Check it out if you haven't yet. You'll be surprised what you will find at thrift stores and consignment clothing stores!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Goodwill or donate to them either after reading an article about how much the "higher ups" make there. I go to Salvation Army to shop and donate also.
    When I lost 30lbs a few years ago, I gave some of my clothes to my friends who needed them. The others I anonymously donated to students I had in school who needed them. I wish I would have thought of a consignment store!

I would not donate them to Goodwill- that place is a sweatshop with a billionaire owner.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrabe/the-worst-corporation-in-_b_1876905.html

The Salvation Army is a marvelous and truly philanthropic store. Another great place is Clothes Closets, which are like food pantries. And there are programs to help professionally dress under-priveldged women and men returning to the workforce. I would check your local women's shelter or community college.

As for keeping them in-case, no way. Get rid of ALL of them. Having a "Get-out-of-jail-free-card" is never a good plan. Check out folks (like me) who are back to losing weight because they had those comfy one size bigger yoga pants. Then three years later they are 50 lbs over-weight and cranky at themselves. (By "they" I mean "me")

You did it! Congratulations! Now buy yourself clothes that fit and are gorgeous and don't look back!
    peace.