When is it socially acceptable for shirtless running?

Options

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Since we are going for honesty, I agree with at the beach. I live in the hot humid locale of Houston, and everyone does whatever they want. I usually cover my eyes and think "TMI, I did not need to see that." Doesn't matter if you look awesome or not. Why? I am married, I don't want to go to my marriage bed comparing anyone to the love of my life. I can't unsee what I have seen. One opinion, and it will never be voted in. I accept that.

Whoa! Your life must be hell trying to avoid advertisements, so you don't compare. And no movies above rated G.
    I don't know about those G-rated movies though. Aladdin's pretty hot.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna give it a try for my Saturday run. Thanks for the self-confidence boost MFP peeps. I'm gonna have to start threads more often now.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Since we are going for honesty, I agree with at the beach. I live in the hot humid locale of Houston, and everyone does whatever they want. I usually cover my eyes and think "TMI, I did not need to see that." Doesn't matter if you look awesome or not. Why? I am married, I don't want to go to my marriage bed comparing anyone to the love of my life. I can't unsee what I have seen. One opinion, and it will never be voted in. I accept that.

Whoa! Your life must be hell trying to avoid advertisements, so you don't compare. And no movies above rated G.

Yeah I'm blown away by it too. My husband is twice the size of me. I still never go to my marriage bed comparing him to the guys pics on here.. that is odd! It's what is inside that matters most.

If I see a guy running without a shirt, he lives in my neighborhood. Not a stranger, not someone I will never meet. I will see this neighbor, and everytime I see them I will think of it. As for movies, pics, etc? Those don't seem to affect me like actually seeing my neighbor with my own two eyes runnin around half nekkid. Context I guess? Real person vs. 2d person I will never meet or see IRL.

So, you never go to the beach with friends? Also I guess avoiding Galveston during the summer out of fear of running into a neighbor?
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna give it a try for my Saturday run. Thanks for the self-confidence boost MFP peeps. I'm gonna have to start threads more often now.

i don't think your brain has caught up to your body yet. ;) you're totally fine to run w/o shirt. totally. fine.

yep, totally fine.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Glad you are going for it now. Winter is coming!
  • _jamieb
    Options
    Shirtless ftw!!!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?

I live in the Saint Louis area. In the summer it's well over 100 degrees, with 95+% humidity. I have to say that there have been days that I wanted to run shirtless. Days when even the light weight, space age material sleeveless running shirt felt like running with an insulated jacket on.

This is the main reason but it's finally calming down around the Memphis, TN area. But yeah, for most of the spring/summer/early fall it feels more like your swimming than running in the humidity. That and it would be nice not to have to use band aids for my nips every time i get a little distance.

Wonder if I've seen you out running??? I'm in Memphis too, and yes it is HOT here, even now. I actually prefer a shirt, so I can wipe sweat off my face with it, but plenty of men around here run shirtless.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    ROADTRIP to TN; anyway when I see good looking guys running shirtless, It makes me SMILE!!!
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    [/quote]

So, you never go to the beach with friends? Also I guess avoiding Galveston during the summer out of fear of running into a neighbor?
    [/quote]

When I go to Galveston, it is usually a mini-moon with my hubby. So not such a big deal. <3 Also, with my glaring ginger skin I get to enjoy the night. If I run, it will be out of fear of zombies. Or maybe chasing my dogs because they got out *again* But generally I am not afraid of nekkid neighbors, I just don't like it.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    When it's hot outside.

TBH if someone is confident enough to do it, I don't see a problem with it. At least they are out there running.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I say avoid parks and stick to trails or like sidewalks...
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Running shirtless is always socially acceptable if you are a fairly fit male. (Not that I think fit people SHOULD have privileges that others don't, or that men SHOULD be able to run shirtless without censure when women can't, but we're talking about broad social acceptance, not fairness). You're working out, and it gets hot.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?

I live in the Saint Louis area. In the summer it's well over 100 degrees, with 95+% humidity. I have to say that there have been days that I wanted to run shirtless. Days when even the light weight, space age material sleeveless running shirt felt like running with an insulated jacket on.

This is the main reason but it's finally calming down around the Memphis, TN area. But yeah, for most of the spring/summer/early fall it feels more like your swimming than running in the humidity. That and it would be nice not to have to use band aids for my nips every time i get a little distance.

Wonder if I've seen you out running??? I'm in Memphis too, and yes it is HOT here, even now. I actually prefer a shirt, so I can wipe sweat off my face with it, but plenty of men around here run shirtless.

Possibly, I'm in the midtown area. Friend request sent.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    On one hand, it annoys me that men can do it (in some areas), but women can't. But, I do smile (in a good way) when I see an overweight man with his shirt off. I like confident people.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    @OP, you can come running shirtless in my area anytime :blushing:
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    anytime, doesn't bug me at all when I see it
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I run hundreds of miles a year topless, I mean shirtless. I did not know I had to ask permission.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    this is so funny, i had the same self conscious feel about it too before i started running outside w\out a shirt, i was like, am i fit enough to do it? i had to do a trial run and mow the back yard shirtless, then i ran in park before finally doing it in the sub division by my house
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I always run topless.....ladies love me!