How successful is a no-bread diet?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    GREAT UNTIL YOU START EATING BREAD AGAIN

For me, cutting back would be easier than going without completely.

For me, cutting it out completely was easier than cutting back... Then I discovered I have a wheat intolerance, so I guess I don't have to worry about reintroducing it to my diet since it causes problems with my body so for health reasons it's better for me to just skip it.... For the past three months I've been without any cereal grains or legumes or sugar.. I'm now slowly adding back in the legumes now. Oats will be next. It's really been helping me a lot.... but it is not a quick fix diet and then go back to your old ways.. The foods need to be reintroduced slowly until you can learn moderation with them.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I never eat bread unless I'm at a restaurant that serves it or something like that. There is almost no nutritional value in it. Try Ezekiel 4:9 Wraps - They are super nutritional and a great alternative to bread!
    Flat breads (wraps, tortillas, etc.) are still bread.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am lucky if I eat bread once a month.. Mostly just whole wheat wraps.. I could care less for bread.. I have switched from white rice to brown and put veggies in it.. As for pasta I had it for the first time in months the other day..
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't have it often, but if I do, I order in sprouted bread. It is so totally different to the usual shop bought bread, and higher in protein.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't have it often, but if I do, I order in sprouted bread. It is so totally different to the usual shop bought bread, and higher in protein.

I was going to buy some sprouted bread.....Then I saw it was $5 a bag. I don't like white bread anymore either, so when choosing between expensive bread or no bread, I'll just skip the bread. I still eat bread sometimes, it's just not as important to me as it used to be.
  • mongoloriver
    Options
    I can give up my fats, I can forgo red meat, hell i can even skip on the sweetened hot beverages on a winter's morning
    but i would sooner give up my soul than the taste of fresh sourdough ciabatta ;_;
    that said i would probably prefer no bread over gluten free alternatives... sorry not a fan : (! they are a tad brick like
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    IMHO, any "give this or that up fad diet" will give you short term results but is a silly thing to do. The best way to keep your weight off is to do exactly what you did to take the weight off. If you plan no bread forever then go for it but you should be following the same eating pattern to maintain your weight as you do to lose the weight.
  • KittyCathy
    KittyCathy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I cut out almost all bread for 3 days and lost 5 pounds. I'm so happy and feel so much better that I don't care If I ever eat bread again if I can lose my weight. I hate being fat lol
  • Soblip
    Soblip Posts: 1
    Options
    I was on a 90 day challenge with Visalus, and i lost 32 lbs by eating healthy and cut out all refined sugars, bread, potatoes, rice and bead. Its been so long since i have consumed any of these that if i do, i feel awful. I do miss some of my fav foods tho.
    On the other hand, i feel ALOT healthier now and so much more active.
  • mkulz
    Options
    I stopped eating bread entirely.. and after about three months I lost 10 pounds. I used to weight 130 before I stopped eating bread, but now I'm at 115.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump-bump
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread, rice, potatoes and pasta years ago (except for special occasions, like once every 2 or 3 months). I still got fat. It's those darn calories! If you eat too many of them IN ANY FORM, you gain weight.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

Very successful...for me anyway :laugh:
    I've been sugar & starch free for the past 6 months and still going strong. I don't know if I'd do it for something like weight loss though. :blushing:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    IMHO, any "give this or that up fad diet" will give you short term results but is a silly thing to do. The best way to keep your weight off is to do exactly what you did to take the weight off. If you plan no bread forever then go for it but you should be following the same eating pattern to maintain your weight as you do to lose the weight.

Why is this touted as an absolute? Not just picking on you, I see it a lot here. What is the harm of using an elimination diet of something as nutritionally weak as bread even if the ultimate intention is to resume eating bread at a later point? (Or if the intention is not to, but ultimately does?) Yes, total calories is the key to weight loss, but why does it matter how those total calories are achieved, especially if it's by giving up something so unessential as bread.

Full disclosure: I eat "ALL TEH BREADZ" now, but cut them out entirely in calendar year 2012...with no obvious negative consequences.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up white bread, pasta, or rice. I just eat a lot less of them. Tonight I had stir fry chicken and veggies over white rice. It was delicious!!!!!!!