When is it socially acceptable for shirtless running?

Options

Replies

• MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Seriously, buddy? When they look like you - Always. It could be the dead of winter and I wouldn't blink twice if you ran by my place. In fact, I'd probably have my face pressed against the window.
  • Airadet
    Airadet Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd prefer it if everyone (of both sexes) kept their shirts on, but it is perfectly "socially acceptable" for you to run on the sidewalk or somewhere like that shirtless.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Since we are going for honesty, I agree with at the beach. I live in the hot humid locale of Houston, and everyone does whatever they want. I usually cover my eyes and think "TMI, I did not need to see that." Doesn't matter if you look awesome or not. Why? I am married, I don't want to go to my marriage bed comparing anyone to the love of my life. I can't unsee what I have seen. One opinion, and it will never be voted in. I accept that.

Whoa! Your life must be hell trying to avoid advertisements, so you don't compare. And no movies above rated G.

Yeah I'm blown away by it too. My husband is twice the size of me. I still never go to my marriage bed comparing him to the guys pics on here.. that is odd! It's what is inside that matters most.

If I see a guy running without a shirt, he lives in my neighborhood. Not a stranger, not someone I will never meet. I will see this neighbor, and everytime I see them I will think of it. As for movies, pics, etc? Those don't seem to affect me like actually seeing my neighbor with my own two eyes runnin around half nekkid. Context I guess? Real person vs. 2d person I will never meet or see IRL.

Solution...

blinders.jpg
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    When it's hot out.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    OP if it makes you feel any better you will be running in nothing but a speedo. In my dreams.

But seriously your response to the guy in the other post was sincere and honest. Making you about 1000000x hotter.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Males running shirtless just look like huge douches to me.

You should only run in what would be allowed in a race. Would you show up to a fun run and strip down? probably not! (hopefully)
    Seriously if its to hot for you to keep your shirt on you need to either find better running clothing or just stay home for the day. I so sick of seeing disgusting sweaty dudes running around with their shirts off. Get a running tank top at the very least!
  • julien999
    Options
    Never. It's awkward. :/ Run shirtless on the treadmill in your room! :P

Oh please. Let's not be such uptight prudes about the human body. Especially if it looks as good as the OP's body does (and as a gay man, I am somewhat of a connoisseur of the male body). Americans are such prudes about the human body it's positively 19th century Victorian. Completely ridiculous. From people freaking out over Janet Jackson flashing 2 nanoseconds of boobage to fear of seeing guys running shirtless, when you see the same thing at EVERY beach in America. Grow up people. It's the human body. We all have one. No reason to be ashamed of it or hide it. A shirtless male isn't sexual in the least bit. Neither is a topless female (hence the brouhaha over breastfeeding which is another reversion to Victorian morality). Of course women need a bra for support. Then again, quite a few men should too, but that is a different subject.

So run shirtless all you want. Mow your yard shirtless. There is no problem whatsoever.

That may be your opinion but others are posting what their thoughts are try to be respectful of others opinions!
    I don't want to see any males or females running around all sweaty and gross. it has nothing to do with the human body and everything to do with what is acceptable behavior . As a gay man you should have better fashion sense than to condone such tacky displays. or maybe you are the type that wants your guys running around in gold thongs.
  • julien999
    Options
    Matthew McConaughey called. he wants his question back.

Thats the best!
  • julien999
    Options
    I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?

I live in the Saint Louis area. In the summer it's well over 100 degrees, with 95+% humidity. I have to say that there have been days that I wanted to run shirtless. Days when even the light weight, space age material sleeveless running shirt felt like running with an insulated jacket on.

Try it with a running bra and shirt on then complain. There is no reason at all to feel like you need to run shirtless in any weather.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?

I live in the Saint Louis area. In the summer it's well over 100 degrees, with 95+% humidity. I have to say that there have been days that I wanted to run shirtless. Days when even the light weight, space age material sleeveless running shirt felt like running with an insulated jacket on.

Try it with a running bra and shirt on then complain. There is no reason at all to feel like you need to run shirtless in any weather.

Thankfully I don't feel I need your permission.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

If it's over 60 degrees I don't see the point in wearing a shirt. I don't have a 6-pack but I haven't scared anyone yet or at least they don't act too horrified. Pretty much IDGAF what other people driving in their cars think. They'll be down the road and I'll be out of sight in about 30 seconds while I'm living with the decision to wear a shirt or not for an hour or more.
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Oh please. Let's not be such uptight prudes about the human body. Especially if it looks as good as the OP's body does (and as a gay man, I am somewhat of a connoisseur of the male body). Americans are such prudes about the human body it's positively 19th century Victorian. Completely ridiculous. From people freaking out over Janet Jackson flashing 2 nanoseconds of boobage to fear of seeing guys running shirtless, when you see the same thing at EVERY beach in America. Grow up people. It's the human body. We all have one. No reason to be ashamed of it or hide it. A shirtless male isn't sexual in the least bit. Neither is a topless female (hence the brouhaha over breastfeeding which is another reversion to Victorian morality). Of course women need a bra for support. Then again, quite a few men should too, but that is a different subject.

So run shirtless all you want. Mow your yard shirtless. There is no problem whatsoever.

i tend to agree with you. There is a very, very weird sexualization of the non-sexual in this country on the whole. otoh, "we" are generally prudes regarding actual sex and the education/open discussion of.

nursed my kids for many years...so let me tell you i know of what i speak.

also? just want to say I don't think that anyone should cover up if they don't want to, no matter their weight. you can't deal? avert your eyes, m'dears...but it's just a body (we all got one) and it's not there for your pleasure.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I run shirtless, and more then just the bottom of my stomach jiggles. Who cares, if youre comfortable with your body :)
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    When its hot outside, above 80 degrees, I run shirtless. I usually run 4-8 miles, so I get hot & my shirt would weigh a couple pounds from sweat by the end of my run.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

That may be your opinion but others are posting what their thoughts are try to be respectful of others opinions!
    I don't want to see any males or females running around all sweaty and gross. it has nothing to do with the human body and everything to do with what is acceptable behavior . As a gay man you should have better fashion sense than to condone such tacky displays. or maybe you are the type that wants your guys running around in gold thongs.

That's rich. You're demanding people respect your opinion (at someone who's only infraction was having a well articulated opinion contrary to yours) and in your next sentence you declare other people to be "sweaty and gross" and complain of the great disservice it is to you yo have to see it.

Again. Boundaries. And also, if that's the only injustice with which you must deal, you're doing alright.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

:noway:

I think respect just left the building. In a sweaty gold thong.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know in what part of the world it is socially unacceptable for a male to run shirtless, but in New England it is not an issue. (for men that is) I guess the biggest concern would be are you personally comfortable with your body to run without a shirt? at 300 pounds I wasn't ready to run shirtless! When it is hot and muggy wearing a shirt is just going to cause chaffing and it will weight about 10 pounds when it is wet. At my weight now, I would feel fine, although in a few weeks the cold will make it a non-issue.

I am just surprised to hear women have an issue with it. Wow!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

:noway:

I think respect just left the building. In a sweaty gold thong.

^This.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't run shirtless...

...ever...

...but have no problem with others who do.

But honestly, I'm just in...

...to watch another awesome display of MFP hypocrisy re others' opinions.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't want to see anyone running around shirtless. But if you choose to do it, I'll just not look. Problem solved.