WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options
3147511mysqb7be0o.gif

:flowerforyou: Welcome to a most supportive and encouraging thread. The title says women ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: Please become part of our friendly community and share your weight loss journey.

:bigsmile: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for September?

:bigsmile: What goals and resolutions do you have for October?

:flowerforyou: Together we can do what we have all struggled to do alone.

:flowerforyou: It’s easier to get to know each other if we sign our posts with a name (or alias) and a location

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

September Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard (finished digging out rocks and old dirt---Jake has finished adding rock, compost, old dirt, and potting soil---now we’re waiting for the peonies)
*strength training two days a week (three would be better)(eleven times in September)
*be agreeable---say “OK” (I’ve needed this resolution in many tricky situations)
* don’t sit at the computer for more than 30 minutes at a time (good)
* keep my calcium intake at the level suggested by the doctor (kept the levels lower and figured out some interesting meals to take the place of Isagenix shakes and almond milk that kept the calcium too high)

October Resolutions
*strength training three days a week
*change some of my strength training routine
*don’t take things personally
*practice dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week
* say “No” to candy

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

Replies

• meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Crittersue so sorry you lost your furry best friend , they are always in our hearts:heart:

Juanita in sudbury
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I have dreaded October coming up. Halloween candy :grumble: :noway: :frown: :cry: :sad: I can not go tot he store by myself. Lord give me strength

Joyce, Indiana
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yay! October; it's quickly becoming my favorite month as the summer heat subsides and I am able to get outside more often. Therefore my goal for October is to get back to doing an activity/exercise 3 times a week instead of 1 or 2...

Thanks Barbie for keeping this thread going strong.

T-gal in Plano
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Susan - good luck trying to "train" your cat. Let us know if you're successful

DeeDee - It IS supposed to be in the low 80's later in the week. Actually, what I'm going to start on (yes, I'm thinking about this) is stringing the popcorn for the Christmas tree. I like to do that on the deck so the pieces just blow away. I popped the corn about a week ago so it should be stale by now. Made that cake for the guy from the pool company who is going to show Vince about closing up the pool, something about the drain from the spa. Anyway, for some reason this cake ALWAYS stuck in the pan. I think what it is is that the directions say to let it cool, then pour on the glaze, then let it sit in the pan. I'm thinking that it has to sit in the pan too long so next time I make it I'll try taking it out of the pan sooner. Hope your wrist is better soon. Keep wearing that brace!

Did about 15 minutes of yoga today, then held my plank for 2 min 25 seconds, then off to the extremepump class. On the way home I want to stop at the food store on the way home since Vince will need more milk and I do want to get some more grapes, they have them on sale. Tomorrow I'll do a bosu DVD that I have. A friend of mine is having knee replacement surgery today so I'll go to the hospital tomorrow to see her. I made an apple bread that I'll take.

Linda - if you can do zumba, I would think your back certainly can take water aerobics. that is much less on the back. Zumba is more impact. You should be fine

Rita - how exciting. Sorry you aren't feeling well.

Sylvia - that is so sad that your dog already has arthritis. What kind of dog is it? Has the vet confirmed that it is arthritis? At such a young age, it might be something else.

Heather - I so want to go to Italy and Rome is definitely on my list. Thank you for letting me live vicariously thru you. Until I get there myself.....

Have a question for anyone: whenever I buy a spaghetti squash and roast it, when I go to put the squash on my plate, it's always so very liquidy. Sometimes it even waters down the sauce. This time what I did was I roasted it (cut side down) and then put it on its side into the warm but off oven for about 15 minutes, hoping that would dry it out some. What do others do?

Yanniejannie - not half bad? I would say "very good". So sorry about your dd's knee.

Critter Sue - so sorry about Ryder. Our four legged children sure do pull at our heartstrings, don't they?

Jessica called to say that she took the other job. Actually, a friend of hers was the one who really talked her into it. It's working with chimps, and one of her concerns was that chimps can get viscious. Her friend said to her "why not take the job that pays more money? This way you can save up for vet school. You aren't happy where you are right now anyway". Makes a lot of sense. Went to Bi-Lo and got a spaghetti squash on sale, the sale ends Tuesday, also got oatmeal that I needed and the butter. Then we went to buy gas. Got the gas for $1.97/gallon. Wish we needed more than a little over 13 gallons. Now home, we can have dinner late tonight. Usually on Mon nights I go to this one gal's home for mahjongg but she just called. Her mom is having a mini-stroke and since she's an only child, she really needs to go to her mom.

Tomorrow I have an appointment then I'm planning to go to the hospital to see a friend of mine who had knee replacement surgery today, then I need to get my oil changed in the car, then since I'm up that way I'm thinking I'll go to Aldi. Actually, before I get the oil changed I'll stop at AC Moore and get some of their Mardi Gras beads, that'll probably work for the necklace I need. And I won't even have to sew them together!

I can't believe it's already October, either. Time is just going by too too fast

Meg - after we sold our home in PA, evidentally the people who bought it threw out the freezer we left there (they could have donated it and taken a tax deduction), do you know that the garbage company billed US for it? We didn't even own the home! Vince finally cleared it up with them, but that was something

Joyce - the other day I bought some Halloween candy. It was on sale and I had a coupon. Well, Ithe other day I had one of my "feeling down about Bryan" moods and went into the stash. Now I feel terrible about it.

Michele in NC
    -
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OC-TO-BER!!!:smile::smile: This is the month when the trees begin to prepare themselves for winter as their leaves begin the amazing metemorphosis of beauty. :heart: There is nothing like watching the leaves turn from green and yellow to the most beautiful orange, reds and browns as they fall to the ground creating a luscious outdoor carpet that is pleasing and annoying at the same time. :love: It is then that I am reminded of how great it is to live in Michigan. :happy:

Although September has been a month of certain difficulty, it has also been a month of bountiful blessings. I look forward to October and what it has to offer.

But for now, I will have to bump this for later.

Hello Ladies!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    morning beautiful ladies,
    October~ yes it is a beautiful month, Fall is my favorite time of year...slept a little later this morning so will skip the gym,but take myself for a walk.. just iced my foot because it was bothering me a bit..
    The darn scale has not been my friend lately...im up a lb and 2 oz, could be sodium, could be im not drinking enough. I read in fitness magazine that you are supposed to drink more than 1/2 your body weight in water daily,holy cow that would be like 75 oz of water, talk about floating...
    one of the girls in the front office is fighting something and when she left I sat at her desk to answer the phones,believe you me I wiped everything down, I dont need to get sick before vacation:noway:
    I really do think the warm lemon water helps.. I have been feeling well for quite awhile now:wink:
    October goals-get more water
    ,eat less -lose more
    stress less on the number more on the physical activity
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning my lovelies - Happy October.

I hope everyone is looking ahead to a wonderful autumn. We actually have blue skies in London right now.

We went to Brighton on Sunday to meet my husband's new niece. She was born the same day as the future king, so is now ten weeks old. She is a gorgeous and tiny little thing with a shock - and I really do mean a shock - of bright red hair. She is still on oxygen and they are struggling to get her weight up, which is quite common with Downs syndrome babies apparently but she is a bright and beautiful blessing.

I'm slowly getting back to normal, although still tender and a little slow (it always takes me an age to get over anaesthetic). I'm back at the hospital next week.

Anyway, I'm working my way through a hefty stack of Latin translation - must get a move on!

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    glad your on the mend Amanda, and hope you recover quickly....
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    CritterSue- I am so sorry for your loss. We have lost several german shepherds over the years and each loss was incredibly painful. We think of them often and laugh at their antics. Each added so much to our lives in different ways. We now have a golden retriever who is getting old and slowing down. Take care of yourself.

Sandy- Hugs to you.

I will try to get back later to reply to more. Life has been too busy!! Must get ready for work.

Deb in CNY
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Cittersue:smile: Sending you hugs!!! It`s so hard when our fur babies leave us:sad: !

My goal for Oct. is not to gain anything:ohwell: !

Have a great day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful NC
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. My goals for October is to lose 8 more pounds. This is my favorite time of year (Pumpkin everything) :). It will be a struggle to stay away from the sweets. I travel 500 miles a week for work so eating while driving has always been a past time. I am working on just singing with the radio (thank goodness the windows are up) and chewing gum. Hope everyone has a blessed day.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,084 Member
    Options
    Me too---bumping for later.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread, Barbie!

Bumping to mark my spot for October.

I love the fall, too. I particularly like the cool mornings.....

Off to work early today - two more days at work this week, then off for a few days with my sisters. Don't quite know if I'll get all the invoicing done before I leave, but if not, pfffft... I keep saying we need at least a PT person to help with phones, take care of back logs or assist in these situations, but it falls on deaf ears, so too bad. I know there are others of you out there that are in similar situations -- it feels like we are treading water most times, not making forward progress.

Gail, metro ATL
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michelle, yes the vet says it is arthritis. She is a whippet and her poor body takes a beating. She runs herself into the ground, and often takes a tumble at high speeds while chasing a bunny or ball. It's a miracle she hasn't broken something. I told hubby that the vet says no more chasing the basketball, so last night he went out and bought her a soccer ball. I think he missed the point. Anyway, the vet prescribed antiinflamitories.

Susan, I started weight training in September, so I think maybe that helped with the weight loss. But I really thought I was stuck most of the month. I knew I lost a few ounces here and there but I didn't realize till yesterday how much it added up to. It was a pleasant surprise.

It's foggy here this morning but should be a nice day. Happy October everybody!

Sylvia
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think we are going thru Indian summer here in New Brunswick. The temps are nice for this week, and no rain showing in the forecast. Our weekends at the trailer are over, so now it's time to get back into the swing of things... I made an effort to pull my socks up thru the month of September, but that didn't go as well as I had hoped. I did manage to pull one sock up, but the other one is stuck on my heel. Anyway, my hopes for October are to settle down, keep a closer eye on my diet, and TRY, TRY,TRY to get back into the art of exercising. Happy October... Kat :)
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy October dear ladies,

October_zps2374184e.jpg

I am hanging in there anxiously awaiting the time I can get my hands on my new granddaughter. All is well. Have an awesome day.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
    PNW
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies,

Michele.......Good luck to your daughter with the new job; chimps sound interesting, are they adults, young, or mixed? Is it a refuge? You are right about the me using the term "not half bad"............helping at the finish line I see people doing under 5min. miles all the time and forget about the mere mortals!!!

Amanda.......Wonderful to see you feeling better.

Lifting my mug of tea in a toast to the new month!
    yanniejannie
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    There going to try and keep up I know only the first day and I do plan on spending some time at cottage. But I do journal in my book when at cottage.

Meyllisa
    Sorry you had to lose your best friend. I thought I was losing mine on Sunday. Hubby built a rack on front of four wheeler for the dogs and he jumped of the rack and hubby thinks he ran over him. He was hurting bad on Sunday sat on my lap for four hours then I put him down and he walked a little with a limp. Still limping today but getting better. Hope to have the silly little fart a few more years.

Joyce
    Just leave the treats at the store until last min. I won't have them around me neither.

T gal
    You can do it.

Michele
    Bake it in oven or microwave then drain it like you would your spaghetti.
    Sure hope that son of yours comes to his senses soon.

Christchild
    October my favorite time of year. Love the fall colours.

Granmaille
    Love your October goals.

Amanda
    Congrats on being a Nana. And fast recovery to you.

Deedee
    Like your October goals you can do it.

Gail
    Let's forget forward and move downward might work lol.

Sylvie
    You have a clown for a hubby
    Trade the football for a soccer ball lol

Kathy
    Never mind pulling the socks up just leave them in the shoes and walk walk walk.

Well caught up for now. Now need to get myself dressed leaving for the city at 11 am. Bringing my sister to hospital to meet the surgeon. Going to look for a girdle for myself might help the back. A little sore today so exercise today will be mall walking.
    Wii gave me a little loss this morning only .2 left to get the weekend gain off. So should show a loss for tops tomorrow night. I will post my tops weight in here tomorrow but I think it will show a loss since I started back when.

Take care all and make it the best day that you can.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario Canada.