Government shutdown

Options

Replies

• Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Smell that?! Nice, clean Canadian Air!

American w/o a government is still way better. :)

I did not saying Canada was better. I am born and was raised in America but am not going to say America is better also. But seriously "U Mad Bro?" :-P

i did not say you said canada was better. you mad bro? :)

Why would I be mad. I live in a great country. *Sniff**sigh**Sips on Beer* "Man...this Canadian air is so Beautiful"
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed at how many people can continually vote against their own self interests.
  • LynzeNichole
    Options
    I work hard for the very little money I make that is then taxed to hell to support the people I serve in my profession. So it reallllllly makes me mad to see my hard-earned money going to help the 70% of people(that's my own opinionated, biased statistic that is not meant to be taken as completely accurate) who abuse the system.

But what REALLY ****** me off, is that Congress is still getting paid while they decide on something causing hundreds of thousands of other hard workers to not get paid.

Ohh but that's okay "I'll donate whatever earnings I get to charity." Great, so you can just claim that as a tax write-off at the end of the year? **** you congress! WHY are we putting up with this America?!?!?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

I did not saying Canada was better. I am born and was raised in America but am not going to say America is better also. But seriously "U Mad Bro?" :-P

Why would I be mad. I live in a great country. *Sniff**sigh**Sips on Beer* "Man...this Canadian air is so Beautiful"

hopefully you are drinking a nice american micro brew and not that stuff you make up there. :)
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately those cheering the madness on fail to realize that now EITHER side can use that tactic, not just the people they agree with. Sound like a good thing now?

Dictator Obama and Dictator Harry Reid are finding out they are not really Dictators. Hmmmmm..... sound like a good thing? Yes.

WHOOSH
  • YogaLegs87
    Options
    I read a very entertaining article today about how the Australians dealt with the government shutdown they experienced.

God I love Reddit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/01/australia-had-a-government-shutdown-once-it-ended-with-the-queen-firing-everyone-in-parliament/

That was a good article

I thought so too.. :drinker:
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would anyone think that the Congress and Senate could get anything done with health care if they can't even pass a budget. No budget since 2009... I'd sure like to run my life without a budget, just look around and say... "oh, I like that... I think I'll get it" and not worry about how to pay for it. When the bill comes I just do a little creative accounting and forward the bill to my neighbor. Sounds like a winning plan to me.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I work hard for the very little money I make that is then taxed to hell to support the people I serve in my profession. So it reallllllly makes me mad to see my hard-earned money going to help the 70% of people(that's my own opinionated, biased statistic that is not meant to be taken as completely accurate) who abuse the system.

But what REALLY ****** me off, is that Congress is still getting paid while they decide on something causing hundreds of thousands of other hard workers to not get paid.

Ohh but that's okay "I'll donate whatever earnings I get to charity." Great, so you can just claim that as a tax write-off at the end of the year? **** you congress! WHY are we putting up with this America?!?!?

lol @ made up statistics. How stupid
  • zevodactyl
    Options
    Google's doodle for today says it's the 123rd anniversary of Yosemite National Park. Too bad all the national parks are closed because of this crap.

The real question is, did Google select that doodle today just to be cheeky?
    I choose to believe they did.
  • Trueray
    Options

hopefully you are drinking a nice american micro brew and not that stuff you make up there. :)

Nope definitely not American. Anyone who knows their beers knows that Hacker-Pschorr(German Beer) is one of the best. I am a unbiased person who is open to anything. You should give it a try champ. It will open your mind to endless possibilities ;-)
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If the government shutdown meant no Grand Theft Auto 5 or Honey BooBoo until the issues were sorted out, our nation would be up in arms and a compromise would be worked out in no time.

Our morals are a reflection of our budgets. We should take care of the weakest when they need it. Our country is becoming corrupted and rotting from the inside. Get to know your neighbor. Tolerate you neighbor. Now make everyone possible your neighbor.
  • LynzeNichole
    Options
    Google's doodle for today says it's the 123rd anniversary of Yosemite National Park. Too bad all the national parks are closed because of this crap.

The real question is, did Google select that doodle today just to be cheeky?
    I choose to believe they did.

I saw that too. Sad =/
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Nope definitely not American. Anyone who knows their beers knows that Hacker-Pschorr(German Beer) is one of the best. I am a unbiased person who is open to anything. You should give it a try champ. It will open your mind to endless possibilities ;-)

of course European countries know how to make beer. i lean towards Belgium in that case. im just glad you arent drinking that canadian stuff.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Most people qualify for subsidies when they buy health care on the exchange. Have you checked?

Yup and no...its an unaffordable act for those who have worked very hard to make a decent wage above the 400% cut off.

I would also argue that if you really look at it anyone making about 300% to 200% would also find it expensive.

Well I browsed plans and, while I didn't qualify for assistance, I could easily afford full coverage zero deductible for my entire family if my work did not provide health care. Was less than $10k/year, and the price didn't rise with income (past assistance level). The more I make, the easier it is to afford. Maybe this differs by state.
  • LynzeNichole
    Options

lol @ made up statistics. How stupid

It may be stupid, but of the 64 clients I have, I know of 6 that actually have jobs and aren't relying solely on the goverment to survive, which is why I also said that number is biased. And a rough guesstimation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Most people qualify for subsidies when they buy health care on the exchange. Have you checked?

Yup and no...its an unaffordable act for those who have worked very hard to make a decent wage above the 400% cut off.

I would also argue that if you really look at it anyone making about 300% to 200% would also find it expensive.

Well I browsed plans and, while I didn't qualify for assistance, I could easily afford full coverage zero deductible for my entire family if my work did not provide health care. Was less than $10k/year, and the price didn't rise with income (past assistance level). The more I make, the easier it is to afford. Maybe this differs by state.

It is definitely by state I can expect to pay $10K a year...not affordable. Remember this is also looking at the low tiered bronze plan with a $5000 deductible and a 40% share of cost.
  • Trueray
    Options

of course European countries know how to make beer. i lean towards Belgium in that case. im just glad you arent drinking that canadian stuff.

So you do know your beers....Impressive! Your not that bad after all.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I'm a bit confused which plan were you looking at that has no deductible and is not affected by income level? As far as I understood it there were 4 tiers to the program but each one progressively cost more?

From Covered California

Eligibility for premium assistance is based on a standard, called the federal poverty level, that looks at family income and the number of people in the family. The size of the premium assistance is based on a sliding scale, with those who make less money getting more financial assistance to reduce the cost of their insurance coverage. Individuals and families who make between 138 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty level may be eligible for premium assistance. This means that an individual making up to $45,960 and a family of four earning up to $94,200 may be eligible for premium assistance.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

It is definitely by state I can expect to pay $10K a year...not affordable. Remember this is also looking at the low tiered bronze plan with a $5000 deductible and a 40% share of cost.

For one person? That's laughably bad. I'm seeing a platinum plan for 3, at ~800/month. Sorry to hear your options suck. :/

Edit: I didn't test income levels above $500k/year. Prices didn't change up to that, and I assume this isn't a particularly relevant issue for over $500k families.
  • HSMyTwins
    HSMyTwins Posts: 47 Member
    Options

We currently pay $4,400/year for our health insurance (family of 4). Under the "affordable" care, we will pay $14,000 for similar coverage. I fail to see how this is a good thing. It will mean that we spend less in other areas, so I assume that will impact retail, restaurants, vacations, etc.

Many businesses will also downsize their staff to reduce their expense. Watch for all of the full time people to suddenly be reduced to 29 hours.
This discussion has been closed.