Saying No to Vaccinations

Options
dylanafghjkl
dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
I just saw in the newest groups tab that someone has started a group for "saying no to the flu shot".
I clicked on a link that they had posted for reasons not to get vaccinated and it was "IF YOU GET VACCINATED YOU MIGHT DIE!!!" re-written 10 times.
Why?
WHY?
WHYYYYYY?
I just can't fathom the type of people that are against vaccinations??????

There can be complications during much more mundane things like walking down the street.
Ugh. Whatever. There's probably a society for "Americans Against Walking".

Replies

• captain_reckless
    Options
    I don't know

But I've had the flu vaccination every year for the past 5, generally as soon as the flu season hits I hit the floor, since getting the flu shot I've come out unscathed every season except this one, but I would argue it was a strain that wasn't covered in this vaccination.

I work in a high risk job as well as in a high risk family for these types of things (I'm an emergency service worker and my wife is a primary school teacher, I think the best breeding places for disease ? Primary school) and if I don't get vaccinated I think I would be home sick more often than I'm at work.

But then again to my hippy friends I'm a bad parent as my kids are all up to date for all their vaccinations, I know there is a lot of talk about kids becoming Autistic after their vaccinations and I read up quite a bit before I took my eldest for all his, and I honustly dont think these claims are sustanicated
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    evil-mr-vaccine.gif
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is the most retarded thing ever. I saw it a few minutes ago and was shocked as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

But then again to my hippy friends I'm a bad parent as my kids are all up to date for all their vaccinations, I know there is a lot of talk about kids becoming Autistic after their vaccinations and I read up quite a bit before I took my eldest for all his, and I honustly dont think these claims are sustanicated

They disproved that ridiculous claim already, by the way!
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I totally read this topic as "Saying no to Vacations" :O

But yeah, I think Jenny McCarthy has enough egg on her face for any other parents wanting to say no to vaccinations.
  • HealthyNurseK
    HealthyNurseK Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    evil-mr-vaccine.gif

Love this!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    They need to make a vaccination for stupid.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have nursed children with whooping cough - horrible disease; I am a family genealogist and so many children in my family history died of preventable diseases whilst just little - measles, etc - before vaccinations became available. Vaccination works to stop these diseases. If someone really doesn't want to do it, then OK, but don't push it onto others. I worked at a school and we had a list of all the kids who weren't immunised - if anyone got measles they had to be excluded from school, day care, etc.

Autism is a worry, but I haven't read enough to know if it is linked to / proven to be linked to getting your kids immunised.

I get the flu shot every year.
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    They need to make a vaccination for stupid.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are sad that small pox was eradicated or children are no longer crippled by polio?
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    And as for "IF YOU GET VACCINATED YOU MIGHT DIE!!!"

well if you wake up in the morning you might die - in fact we all will one day - so do we "blame" our death on whatever was happening at the time??
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think my son either became autistic after the MMR vaccine, or during pregnancy when I worked as a correctional officer. While working the overnight shift and sometimes having to work doubles, I would only bring enough food from home for one shift and was not expecting to have to pull a double. Often times, I would get so hungry while working the overnight shift that I had to eat a sack lunch sometimes, that they would prepare for the inmates leaving for work. The sack lunch contained the worst kinds of foods that the average person would not eat. There was an apple and a packet of peanut butter, and some bologna with two slices of bread. I remember rinsing the bologna off real good and putting it in the microwave till it popped and eating the non-organic, highly pesticide-filled red apple that came with it, along with peanut butter on the top. My other theory for my son coming up autistic is that during my pregnancy, I had a threatened miscarriage with him and I had to be rushed to the emergency room because I was bleeding. He turned out to be okay, but maybe it caused brain damage that caused his autism. Maybe, I am secretly half-autistic myself, since I am extremely shy in person, and socially awkward and I passed on a gene to him. I don't know. However, I was vaccinated as a child, and although I consider myself kind of weird, I turned out fine. I have gotten the flu vaccine for him and myself and we have never gotten the flu. But a lot of my neighbors told me to stop vaccinating, since my son was autistic. I was like, "What difference does it make, he already has autism, so what is not vaccinating him going to prevent or prove?"
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think my son either became autistic after the MMR vaccine, or during pregnancy when I worked as a correctional officer. While working the overnight shift and sometimes having to work doubles, I would only bring enough food from home for one shift and was not expecting to have to pull a double. Often times, I would get so hungry while working the overnight shift that I had to eat a sack lunch sometimes, that they would prepare for the inmates leaving for work. The sack lunch contained the worst kinds of foods that the average person would not eat. There was an apple and a packet of peanut butter, and some bologna with two slices of bread. I remember rinsing the bologna off real good and putting it in the microwave till it popped and eating the non-organic, highly pesticide-filled red apple that came with it, along with peanut butter on the top. My other theory for my son coming up autistic is that during my pregnancy, I had a threatened miscarriage with him and I had to be rushed to the emergency room because I was bleeding. He turned out to be okay, but maybe it caused brain damage that caused his autism. Maybe, I am secretly half-autistic myself, since I am extremely shy in person, and socially awkward and I passed on a gene to him. I don't know. However, I was vaccinated as a child, and although I consider myself kind of weird, I turned out fine. I have gotten the flu vaccine for him and myself and we have never gotten the flu. But a lot of my neighbors told me to stop vaccinating, since my son was autistic. I was like, "What difference does it make, he already has autism, so what is not vaccinating him going to prevent or prove?"

cool story bro
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I have nursed children with whooping cough - horrible disease; I am a family genealogist and so many children in my family history died of preventable diseases whilst just little - measles, etc - before vaccinations became available. Vaccination works to stop these diseases. If someone really doesn't want to do it, then OK, but don't push it onto others. I worked at a school and we had a list of all the kids who weren't immunised - if anyone got measles they had to be excluded from school, day care, etc.

Autism is a worry, but I haven't read enough to know if it is linked to / proven to be linked to getting your kids immunised.

I get the flu shot every year.

Autism has never been linked to any vaccine. That whole claim was made up by Andrew Wakefield when he did bogus research that had ties to a lawsuit against the MMR vaccine (the lawyers on that case had paid him off, basically).
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree, the fear mongering on both sides is ridiculous.

Whether you get the shot or not, your decision should be based on science, not just what you read on the internet.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Your sons autism isn't the result of vaccinations, bologna, or the apple. I am sorry, but it was another reason.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anti-vaxxers need a quick kick in the pants. All that misinformation being spread around is actually causing harm. There have been an alarming number of outbreaks of these "eradicated" diseases that should not be occurring in a vaccinated population! Those that truly can not have a vaccine for medical reasons are at an increased risk because of the decreasing herd immunity. Innocent people are getting sick and risking death because some high and mighty parents think they know better than the medical community. It makes me sick!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Andrew Wakefield who started touting MMR as cause of autism, has been completely discredited. The latest research in relation to autism indicates that genetics and events during pregnacy are factors.

I say yes to vacciniations and herd immunity.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry that your son is autistic, but don't blame yourself! There is absolutely zero indication that it's linked to vaccines, food, or pesticides. The vaccine link has been THOROUGHLY disproven, and the scientist who claimed the link has been discredited over and over. I'm in med school so I've learned a lot about this. There is some recent suggestion that it may be linked to the mother getting an infection or having some kind of immune response while carrying the baby, although it's just an observed trend at this point, definitely no proof of causation. Don't worry about what you could have done differently, keep getting him vaccinated to protect him from further harm, and print out a scientific article or two to silence your crazy neighbors :)
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I say yes to vacciniations and herd immunity.

YES, YES, YES!
This discussion has been closed.