Saying No to Vaccinations

Options

Replies

• percypat
    Options
    I do believe in vaccination. It has been a positive thing for society. I do not believe that the flu shot is good for anything. It is absolutely the most idiotic thing in the universe. Yeah, like they knew last month what the strain will be when it hits in a few months. So stupid I can't even believe it. Why? Why?

What a shame you aren't working for the health department, or in the pharmaceutical industry. You could save us all so much trouble with your intimate and expert knowledge of viruses and vaccines!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    SMH. History is cool.
    The most notable disease brought by Europeans was the destructive smallpox disease. Smallpox was lethal to many Native Americans, bringing sweeping epidemics and affecting the same tribes repeatedly. Within 1837 to 1870, at least four different epidemics struck the Plains tribes.

Numerous other diseases were brought to Native American tribes, including measles, scarlet fever, typhoid, typhus, influenza, pertussis (whooping cough), tuberculosis, cholera, diphtheria, chickenpox and sexually transmitted diseases ]including syphills, which was originally thought to be endemic in the Americas, but recent scientific research has now shown it originated in Europe. Each of these diseases brought destruction through sweeping epidemics, involving illness and extensive death. Many Native American tribes experienced extensive depopulation, averaging 25–50 percent of tribal life lost due to disease. Additionally, singular tribes also neared extinction after facing severely destructive spread of disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_disease_and_epidemics

I don't think anyone was saying that Europeans didn't bring diseases over with them.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    evil-mr-vaccine.gif

Omg. Bahahahahahaha
  • whierd
    Options
    I do believe in vaccination. It has been a positive thing for society. I do not believe that the flu shot is good for anything. It is absolutely the most idiotic thing in the universe. Yeah, like they knew last month what the strain will be when it hits in a few months. So stupid I can't even believe it. Why? Why?

They can predict how the virus evolves and try to head it off. It has done wonders for the elderly in particular.

Yeah, that's what they say. I don't believe it. But, I'm just some dude that pushes iron and blabs online. Doesn't really matter. I just think it's silly and more like a placebo effect situation. Just my opinion.

Why would you not believe it?
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Right, but it was alleged that natural living kept the Native Americans healthy, as opposed to a lack of circulating viruses.

SMH. History is cool.
    The most notable disease brought by Europeans was the destructive smallpox disease. Smallpox was lethal to many Native Americans, bringing sweeping epidemics and affecting the same tribes repeatedly. Within 1837 to 1870, at least four different epidemics struck the Plains tribes.

Numerous other diseases were brought to Native American tribes, including measles, scarlet fever, typhoid, typhus, influenza, pertussis (whooping cough), tuberculosis, cholera, diphtheria, chickenpox and sexually transmitted diseases ]including syphills, which was originally thought to be endemic in the Americas, but recent scientific research has now shown it originated in Europe. Each of these diseases brought destruction through sweeping epidemics, involving illness and extensive death. Many Native American tribes experienced extensive depopulation, averaging 25–50 percent of tribal life lost due to disease. Additionally, singular tribes also neared extinction after facing severely destructive spread of disease.

I don't think anyone was saying that Europeans didn't bring diseases over with them.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options

They can predict how the virus evolves and try to head it off. It has done wonders for the elderly in particular.

Yeah, that's what they say. I don't believe it. But, I'm just some dude that pushes iron and blabs online. Doesn't really matter. I just think it's silly and more like a placebo effect situation. Just my opinion.

Just curious, what medical training do you have which entitles you to know better than thousands of doctors and research scientists?
  • whierd
    Options
    Right, but it was alleged that natural living kept the Native Americans healthy, as opposed to a lack of circulating viruses.

SMH. History is cool.

Oh!!! Sorry, misunderstood your intent.
  • somerisagirlsname
    Options
    Finally, vaccines do not cause autism. There are hundreds of studies to that effect. There was ONE article published in the British Medical Journal years and years ago that claimed to prove that vaccines cause autism. Later, it was found that the person that wrote that article (Dr. Andrew Wakefield) completely fabricated his data. Not manipulated, but straight up made it up entirely. His article was retracted, he lost his medical license, and he's been literally run out of his home country (the UK) and is currently living in Texas somewhere doing god knows what. You can't make this stuff up.

^this, thank you.
    I get a little more irate every time I hear someone blaming Autism on vaccinations. If these people would focus more attention on getting their children with autism the related services that they need and less on beating the anti-vaccination drum their respective offspring would most likely be a lot better off. /endrant
  • somerisagirlsname
    Options
    Jealous that I never been fat in my life. I only have 10 lbs to lose. I never weighed over 110 in my life.
    Oh I know yup! Thank God I have and was blessed with good genes. Ba bye! Unless somebody wants me to tell fat jokes LMFAOI

I thought we were talking about vaccinations, not fat people. Were you dropped on the head as a child? I met somebody like you once, someone who just sort of went from thought to thought to thought without making any real connections between them. Makes it tough to carry on a conversation.

Actually, going thought to thought to thought like that with no correlation is a symptom I have witnessed in my students with Autism. Maybe that's why she is so intently against vaccinations!
  • somerisagirlsname
    Options
    if processed meat caused autism I'm pretty sure my cat would be autistic by now

Bahahahhahaha I almost choked.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think my son either became autistic after the MMR vaccine, or during pregnancy when I worked as a correctional officer. While working the overnight shift and sometimes having to work doubles, I would only bring enough food from home for one shift and was not expecting to have to pull a double. Often times, I would get so hungry while working the overnight shift that I had to eat a sack lunch sometimes, that they would prepare for the inmates leaving for work. The sack lunch contained the worst kinds of foods that the average person would not eat. There was an apple and a packet of peanut butter, and some bologna with two slices of bread. I remember rinsing the bologna off real good and putting it in the microwave till it popped and eating the non-organic, highly pesticide-filled red apple that came with it, along with peanut butter on the top. My other theory for my son coming up autistic is that during my pregnancy, I had a threatened miscarriage with him and I had to be rushed to the emergency room because I was bleeding. He turned out to be okay, but maybe it caused brain damage that caused his autism. Maybe, I am secretly half-autistic myself, since I am extremely shy in person, and socially awkward and I passed on a gene to him. I don't know. However, I was vaccinated as a child, and although I consider myself kind of weird, I turned out fine. I have gotten the flu vaccine for him and myself and we have never gotten the flu. But a lot of my neighbors told me to stop vaccinating, since my son was autistic. I was like, "What difference does it make, he already has autism, so what is not vaccinating him going to prevent or prove?"

I'm so sorry that your son is autistic, but don't blame yourself! There is absolutely zero indication that it's linked to vaccines, food, or pesticides. The vaccine link has been THOROUGHLY disproven, and the scientist who claimed the link has been discredited over and over. I'm in med school so I've learned a lot about this. There is some recent suggestion that it may be linked to the mother getting an infection or having some kind of immune response while carrying the baby, although it's just an observed trend at this point, definitely no proof of causation. Don't worry about what you could have done differently, keep getting him vaccinated to protect him from further harm, and print out a scientific article or two to silence your crazy neighbors :)

The claims of the first study have been disproven...BUT there have been multiple studies done since then that suggest that their is such a thing as vaccine injury. Vaccine injury is one of the many possible causes of autism. there are children that may have been harmed by the vaccines. Consider that I have 4 kids. 1 of the 4 is severely allergic to an antibiotic that her siblings have all taken without incident. Genetically my kids are similar but one kid would be significantly harmed if I gave her that antibiotic. There are some people on the anti-vax side of the aisle that are not against vaccines as a whole but they want cleaner, safer vaccines and they want for there to be screenings to identify kids who belong to a subset of the population that are more likely to be harmed by the vaccines...there are actually intelligent people on both sides of the aisle that are intelligent, not bashing others or calling them names.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't get flu shots,but because my allergies are weirdly sensitive and the last two times I did, I ended up with severe allergic reactions. That's me, I'm not the rule by far. My medically disabled child gets his the first week they're available. PERIOD. He is always kept up on his immunizations and I pretty much get him every one offered.

Why?

Because if there's a chance they will keep him from getting a horrible disease in the future, then as his mother and medical caretaker it is MY JOB to make sure he has every chance in the world. He did not fight through prematurity, lung damage, compromised immune system, and five bouts of pneumonia to be taken out by a disease that he could have been protected from.

This debate shouldn't even exist, especially when it's our children's lives on the line.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Do you know when you get the flu shot they are actually injecting the virus into you, and you get sick.
    Everybody in my family got it, except me. Once you get it you always have to. They all get the flu, I
    only get the flu like once every 5 years. People should let their bodies fight viruses off naturally, not
    depend on shots.

The "flu shot," is an inactivated vaccine (not containing live virus). It is given by injection, it wont give you the flu it may make you feel flu like. Go Google vaccine for definition and educate yourself. So I guess you are in favor of letting kids get polio, whooping cough, etc and see it they can "survive"....
  • captain_reckless
    Options
    Do you know when you get the flu shot they are actually injecting the virus into you, and you get sick.
    Everybody in my family got it, except me. Once you get it you always have to. They all get the flu, I
    only get the flu like once every 5 years. People should let their bodies fight viruses off naturally, not
    depend on shots.

The "flu shot," is an inactivated vaccine (not containing live virus). It is given by injection, it wont give you the flu it may make you feel flu like. Go Google vaccine for definition and educate yourself. So I guess you are in favor of letting kids get polio, whooping cough, etc and see it they can "survive"....

Pft why would anyone want to educate them selfs? It's so much easier to belive propaganda and photo shopped images

I'm a firm beleiver that the best way to build an imune system is through diet and exercize and geting out side in the world, exposing your self to the enviroment (that doesnt mean walking around flashing your wang, I mean getting out side) Our lifes styles however often expose us to all sorts of virus's I think we are silly to simply ignore the advances in modern science,
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options

I still remember being in school, or even when my 20 year old was in elementary, being required to provide an immunization record. Without it you could not start school. When did that change?

All 50 states of the U.S. allow medical, religious, and/or philosophical exemptions to vaccines. School entry is not a problem if the parent signs and submits the proper forms to the school district.

I looked up the state-by-state exemptions and it's interesting that while nearly every state allows an exemption for religious reasons, less than half of states allow for philosophical reasons. So it's more acceptable for parents to refuse vaccinations because of their personal faith than to refuse because of what they've researched about the vaccine? I know religious reigns supreme in the U.S., but I would have thought it'd be the other way around because it's for public school attendance.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well despite the fact that I am a strong advocate for vaccines, I do see a bit of a problem with this logic. Vaccines nowadays target relatively rare diseases (rare BECAUSE of the vaccines and the crowd immunity they imparted). So the risk to catch them is rather minimal, especially in developed countries.

There have been outbreaks of several of these diseases in recent years in the United States.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ya ok Bud!
    And you are the scientist.
    She told you, Tim!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole thread...

I vaccinate my child for the reason that I would rather deal with the rather small risks of the side effects than the increasing risks of the preventable diseases that are popping back into existence...

What I find funny, is after a non-vaxxing church in my area who preached on non-vaxxing was the epicenter for measles (and it spread fairly quickly) they quickly changed their tune.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    They need to make a vaccination for stupid.

LOL! Then it's waaaaaay too late for my MIL!
This discussion has been closed.