ARE CARBS BAD

Options

Replies

• BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I google What are complex carbs and here's my answer: (PS: i NEVER knew carrots fell under the starchy carbs!!!

Complex carbohydrates are those carbohydrates that are made of three or more sugar molecules linked together. These carbohydrates are found vegetables, nuts, fruits, seeds and grains. They differ from simple carbohydrates, like sugar, that are made of only one or two linked sugar molecules. Complex carbohydrates take longer for your body to break down than simple ones, which helps to maintain a steady blood sugar level.

Which Foods Are Complex Carbohydrates?

Complex carbohydrates should make up a large portion of your diet. You should aim for roughly half of your daily caloric intake to be derived from complex carbohydrates, with over half of these coming from whole grains. Starchy carbohydrates include foods such as:

Bread
    Cereal
    Rice
    Pasta
    Corn
    Carrots
    Dry beans
    Potatoes
    Additionally, green vegetables contain less starch and more fiber, making them a great choice to fulfill your complex carbohydrate needs. This includes vegetables such as:

Green beans
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Include these healthy choices in your diet, and increase you energy levels and health.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs good, simple carbs bad. End of story.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I eat 200-300 grams of carbs per day and I'm more than happy with my results. However, I also make sure to average at least 100 grams of protein per day and 45 g of fat per day. Adequate protein and fat are important for health and body composition IMO.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If they were bad I would not have lost over 9kgs with them being my main source of nutrition. Being a vegetarian my supply chain is highly dependent of carbs. I also have PCOS and still have to see carbs hampering my progress. I did gain around 2 kgs back but that had nothing to do with carbs and everything to do with stress, food and lack of exercise.

That being said it is still about you. Some people do react badly to carbs if you don't then gr8. If you want to experiment stop or limit intake for some time and then reintroduce them. Almost everybody sees progress this way as your body works to achieve balance with this change.
  • hsawtelle
    hsawtelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Too bad Why We Get Fat is mostly fiction

Care to elaborate?

Protein is highly insulinogenic. And how often does he talk about ASP?

Are you saying all proteins are more insulinogenic than all carbohydrates? I would read that study with great interest, can you post a link please?

Also what would you have had him say about ASP, and how would it prove the rest of the information in the book to be fictional?

I look forward to being further educated on this topic.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I google What are complex carbs and here's my answer: (PS: i NEVER knew carrots fell under the starchy carbs!!!

Complex carbohydrates are those carbohydrates that are made of three or more sugar molecules linked together. These carbohydrates are found vegetables, nuts, fruits, seeds and grains. They differ from simple carbohydrates, like sugar, that are made of only one or two linked sugar molecules. Complex carbohydrates take longer for your body to break down than simple ones, which helps to maintain a steady blood sugar level.

Complex carbohydrates should make up a large portion of your diet. You should aim for roughly half of your daily caloric intake to be derived from complex carbohydrates, with over half of these coming from whole grains. Starchy carbohydrates include foods such as:

Bread
    Cereal
    Rice
    Pasta
    Corn
    Carrots
    Dry beans
    Potatoes
    Additionally, green vegetables contain less starch and more fiber, making them a great choice to fulfill your complex carbohydrate needs. This includes vegetables such as:

Green beans
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Include these healthy choices in your diet, and increase you energy levels and health.
    fwiw, my carbs are generally balanced the opposite: primarily leafy greens, cruciferous greens...fruit, and then the rest come from 100% whole grain bread, and some beans. (and the occasional tortilla chips, because, well, they're so darned tasty).

And yes, carrots (and beets) are considered very starchy carbs along with potatoes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Nothing is ever that simple. Looking at the glycemic load would be a better measure if you are worried about blood glucose, which is the only reason I can think of to worry about complex vs. simple.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance. Please consider talking with your PCP or a nutritionist. Best to you!
  • splashtree2
    Options
    carbs is great i need everyday is winter now so...carbs yes candies and general chocolate candies no thanks, how you keep muscles working with no carbs.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

No... the answer is always... it depends.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Too bad Why We Get Fat is mostly fiction

Care to elaborate?

Protein is highly insulinogenic. And how often does he talk about ASP?

Are you saying all proteins are more insulinogenic than all carbohydrates? I would read that study with great interest, can you post a link please?

Also what would you have had him say about ASP, and how would it prove the rest of the information in the book to be fictional?

I look forward to being further educated on this topic.

No, but the very fact protein is insulinogenic renders his hypothesis in the book moot, as does ASP. As you know from reading the book, his laughable hypothesis is carbs and only carbs cause insulin to be secreted and insulin makes you fat. So the fact that protein is insulinogenic busts a hole in that hypothesis, then ASP being able to store fat without the insulin destroys it. Nor does he ever talk about how common DNL is in humans and then makes things up like his whole thing on the Pima
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    carbs is great i need everyday is winter now so...carbs yes candies and general chocolate candies no thanks, how you keep muscles working with no carbs.

Hey, Dark Chocolate has lots of potassium.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Bread
    Cereal
    Rice
    Pasta
    Corn
    Carrots
    Dry beans
    Potatoes

Green beans
    Broccoli
    Spinach

Copying and pasting from others' blog entries and presenting it as your own is lame. Just link to the site.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7dgf7uQfv1qi21hi.png
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    does it really matter how many carbs, protein and fat do we each.

Yes, it does matter. You should have a balance of eat. If you go to iifym.com, that might help you out with the percentages you should be eating. I know others use Scooby's Workshop--just google that.
    i am especially concerned about bread.

Bread is not evil, too much of it is. If you are really concerned, just eat whole grain or 12 grain instead of the white floury bread.

and if bread/carbs are bad for me is there any medical test that can be carried out to know this!!

Usually carbs are bad for you if you have an allergy to them. But, not ALL carbs. Fruits, bread, doughnuts--they all have carbs. But, some are "worse" than others. You can eat 4 fruits a day, but not 4 doughnuts a day. Also, those with Diabetes stay away from high carb foods. Testing can be done, check out your local hospital, or if there is a free clinic in your area. The information is out there, you just need to know where to find it. Make a few phone calls, the worse they can do is say they don't have such a program/test.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Bread
    Cereal
    Rice
    Pasta
    Corn
    Carrots
    Dry beans
    Potatoes

Green beans
    Broccoli
    Spinach

Copying and pasting from others' blog entries and presenting it as your own is lame. Just link to the site.

While I agree that a link to the site is a good idea, mostly so people can decide for themselves whether the source is knowledgeable or not. This poster did not present this as their own. They clearly stated it was the internet and even mentioned that some of the information was surprising to them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    a question to all people who have lost weight succesfully
    does it really matter how many carbs, protein and fat do we eat.

For me, yes. I simply could not maintain my desired activity level on a low-carb approach. And wiping out carbs from my meals meant constant cravings and I ended up in a cycle of eating too much/eating too little.

So I eat high protein, high carb, and low fat. This keeps me active, and makes me happy, and the pounds keep coming off.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The body requires no carbs for life but you will die if you don't get sufficient protein and fat.

According to my human biology class, you are very wrong. You need carbs to live. They get broken down into glucose, which you need for cellular respiration, which you need for everything.

However you don't need bread to live. You can get enough carbs from veggies, fruit, etc if you feel so inclined to do a low carb diet, which some people do well on. I personally do better on a bit more even proportions, though I have cut down on processed carbs. It's pretty difficult to eliminate carbs completely, and if you did for any length of time you'd die.

So in a word, no. Carbs are not bad. Too much carbs are bad. But that can be said for fat, protein, vitamins, water...