Options

Replies

• shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    argument.gif
  • DiaryofaMadFatMan
    DiaryofaMadFatMan Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I used to think so too...Its not...my skippy peanut butter and honey told me so

Mmmmm honey and peanut butter :love:
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LOL! It's like watching a tennis match!
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sugar has NO nutritional value and is NOT healthy!

strong first post.

Meh. Not enough caps lock.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Big food will do everything in their power to deny it including placing people on this site.
    Why should anyone believe a shill for Big Kettlebell who posts ridiculous 1200 calorie burns for 60 minutes of kettlebell, which at your height and weight is impossible.
  • Jenifer_Duron
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Don't be scared, sugar has health benefits too. While it is true that sugar makes you put on weight, it is also true that your body needs sugar to stay healthy. The health benefits of sugar are not implicit under normal conditions. But when your health is down, nothing works like sugar.
    Your body needs sugar for strength and energy. Despite the fact that sugar leads to weight gain and several other disorders, you cannot deny that sugar gives you instant energy.
    Your brain cannot function without sugar. Do you know why you have blackouts? It is because the sugar supply to your brain is cut off. So the health benefits of sugar include the proper functioning of your brain. However too much sugar has bad effects on your brain so always have it in moderation.
    It works as glucose and cures depression too. You just need to have balanced intake!
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    True. But apples and fruit have nutritional value, and fructose is there along for the ride. But so is fibre and nutrients. Is is true that humans can do without all carbohydrates. We can get by quite happily with fat and protein. But carbs usually come with fibre, and fibre, though no biochemically does help our gut physically. So nothing is ever quite that simple..
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your brain can fuel itself just fine on ketones, it doesn't necessarily need dietary sugar to function. You don't need very much sugar to replenish glycogen stores as well. I believe everyone would do just fine limiting their sugar intake and getting it only from fruits and veggies, keeping refined sweets to once in a while treats like they're meant to be.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your brain can fuel itself just fine on ketones, it doesn't need sugar. You don't need very much sugar to replenish glycogen stores as well. I believe everyone would do just fine limiting their sugar intake and getting it only from fruits and veggies, keeping refined sweets to once in a while treats like they're meant to be.

But what happens if we don't keep them to once in a while and instead have them daily but in moderation and make it fit into our daily numbers?

Your stomach goes from a washboard and back to a tub...j/k. If you can get away with it fitting a sugary treat ever day that's better then the average western diet eater having one with every meal on top of processed nutrient difficient carbage.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    First, fat was the enemy. Now, it is sugar. Next, it will be the proteins, then it will be water.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Your brain can fuel itself just fine on ketones, it doesn't necessarily need dietary sugar to function. You don't need very much sugar to replenish glycogen stores as well. I believe everyone would do just fine limiting their sugar intake and getting it only from fruits and veggies, keeping refined sweets to once in a while treats like they're meant to be.
    You don't need happiness to survive.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Your brain can fuel itself just fine on ketones, it doesn't need sugar. But what happens if we don't keep them to once in a while and instead have them daily but in moderation and make it fit into our daily numbers?
    The amount of free glucose in your blood is only about a teaspoon (5g). Our liver and our insulin mechanism keeps it at that low level. (Hence the reason why diabetics run the risk of dying - too much or not enough glucose). Healthy systems are pretty good. We don't actually need to have any carbohydrates. Yep. None. (No carbs - simple ones like glucose, fructose, sucrose, moderately simple like rice, wheat, etc, or complex ones such as in leafy veges). As stated, we can get by on protein (need 9 essential amino acids) and fats (only 3 or 4 essential triglycerides). We make the rest. We need some other nutrients and we can get them from veges or meats. Just ask the Inuit. Western conventional recommendation is to have about 45% to 55% of our diet as carbs or about 150gm or about 600 Calories. The Paleo diet,; the South Beach Diet; Atkins diet; the LCHF diets all say that the amount should probably be much lower - about 50gm. In fact the Atkins drops it to about 15gm during the first 2 weeks.

Why? That's an busy area for research, but fructose has no hunger feedback mechanism. And protein and fat provides more appetite suppression than carbohydrates (either simple sugars or starchs).. Hence the reason most of these diets cut the carbs, try to eliminate added sugar (both fructose and glucose) and up the protein levels. E.g. meal replacement mixes re mostly protein. Like everything, it is not black or white, but the simple guidelines should be (1) eliminate added sugar (2) don't eat anything with more than about 3% sugar (except whole fruit); don't eat anything with "lite" in its name; and substitute protein or fat for carbs. (e.g. Eat a slightly larger piece of chicken/fish/ tofu/beef, and cut out the bun. 100 calories each, the protein will allow your appetite to work normally).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm watching a documentary about the effects of sugar on the body. I never knew it was this bad. Dear lord. Fructose apparently messes with your brain so that it won't send messages to your body that you're full. So you'll keep eating because your brain thinks you're still hungry. This is terrifying. Why isn't there more public knowledge about this? ****ing sugar companies being just as secretive as the tobacco companies. Gosh.

It seems to me a documentary on sugar will either document to the extreme how good or bad it is.

I say this as sugar sensitive person who soars, crashes, and then feels sick when I eat too much processed sugar. My brain certainly never hurt, but my body did.

If I eat a serving of a treat, I am fine and have no problem with sugar. However, if I "pig out" on it, problems start.

Nothing is bad in moderation, not even sugar.

That is, unless your doctor tells you to stay away from sugar for medical reasons.

There's another similar thread about sugar too...something about it being like tobacco wars.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I just don't know what to think. :\ I mean I know sugars in fruit are good but like, the high fructose corn syrup stuff? Idk man. :c It's hard to know with all these different sources saying different things.

I don't eat high fructose syrup in anything because (1) it makes me crave sugar and (2) it makes my body feel bad.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    And for the record, eating large amounts of most things isn't going to be good for you, so why is the fact that eating large amounts of sugar isn't great for you such a focus? It doesn't need to be blown out of proportion and demonised.

Yes! Everything in moderation, unless you don't like it or it makes your body feel bad.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

So. You're saying ice cream and cookies was a bad idea for dinner?

Well nuts.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Well nuts.

Well, no....if you put nuts on the ice cream and cookies dinner, that makes it healthier. :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well nuts.

Well, no....if you put nuts on the ice cream and cookies dinner, that makes it healthier. :laugh: :bigsmile:

I didn't. I don't like nuts.