Sugar is scary..

Options

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Sugar has NO nutritional value and is NOT healthy!

So. You're saying ice cream and cookies was a bad idea for dinner?

Well nuts.

Well, no....if you put nuts on the ice cream and cookies dinner, that makes it healthier. :laugh: :bigsmile:

I didn't. I don't like nuts.
    What if I put Nutella on the ice cream and cookies? Does that make it healthier?:bigsmile: Or worse?:sad:
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Well nuts.

Well, no....if you put nuts on the ice cream and cookies dinner, that makes it healthier. :laugh: :bigsmile:

What if I put Nutella on the ice cream and cookies? Does that make it healthier?:bigsmile: Or worse?:sad:

Definitely healthier! :)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Big food will do everything in their power to deny it including placing people on this site.

What is "Big Food"?

I don't know, but they are out to get us!!!!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Your brain can fuel itself just fine on ketones, it doesn't need sugar. But what happens if we don't keep them to once in a while and instead have them daily but in moderation and make it fit into our daily numbers?
    The amount of free glucose in your blood is only about a teaspoon (5g). Our liver and our insulin mechanism keeps it at that low level. (Hence the reason why diabetics run the risk of dying - too much or not enough glucose). Healthy systems are pretty good. We don't actually need to have any carbohydrates. Yep. None. (No carbs - simple ones like glucose, fructose, sucrose, moderately simple like rice, wheat, etc, or complex ones such as in leafy veges). As stated, we can get by on protein (need 9 essential amino acids) and fats (only 3 or 4 essential triglycerides). We make the rest. We need some other nutrients and we can get them from veges or meats. Just ask the Inuit. Western conventional recommendation is to have about 45% to 55% of our diet as carbs or about 150gm or about 600 Calories. The Paleo diet,; the South Beach Diet; Atkins diet; the LCHF diets all say that the amount should probably be much lower - about 50gm. In fact the Atkins drops it to about 15gm during the first 2 weeks.

Why? That's an busy area for research, but fructose has no hunger feedback mechanism. And protein and fat provides more appetite suppression than carbohydrates (either simple sugars or starchs).. Hence the reason most of these diets cut the carbs, try to eliminate added sugar (both fructose and glucose) and up the protein levels. E.g. meal replacement mixes re mostly protein. Like everything, it is not black or white, but the simple guidelines should be (1) eliminate added sugar (2) don't eat anything with more than about 3% sugar (except whole fruit); don't eat anything with "lite" in its name; and substitute protein or fat for carbs. (e.g. Eat a slightly larger piece of chicken/fish/ tofu/beef, and cut out the bun. 100 calories each, the protein will allow your appetite to work normally).

If I remember correctly, the Inuit has a short lifespan, probably from all the dietary saturated fat clogging their arteries.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Your brain can fuel itself just fine on ketones, it doesn't need sugar. But what happens if we don't keep them to once in a while and instead have them daily but in moderation and make it fit into our daily numbers?
    The amount of free glucose in your blood is only about a teaspoon (5g). Our liver and our insulin mechanism keeps it at that low level. (Hence the reason why diabetics run the risk of dying - too much or not enough glucose). Healthy systems are pretty good. We don't actually need to have any carbohydrates. Yep. None. (No carbs - simple ones like glucose, fructose, sucrose, moderately simple like rice, wheat, etc, or complex ones such as in leafy veges). As stated, we can get by on protein (need 9 essential amino acids) and fats (only 3 or 4 essential triglycerides). We make the rest. We need some other nutrients and we can get them from veges or meats. Just ask the Inuit. Western conventional recommendation is to have about 45% to 55% of our diet as carbs or about 150gm or about 600 Calories. The Paleo diet,; the South Beach Diet; Atkins diet; the LCHF diets all say that the amount should probably be much lower - about 50gm. In fact the Atkins drops it to about 15gm during the first 2 weeks.

Why? That's an busy area for research, but fructose has no hunger feedback mechanism. And protein and fat provides more appetite suppression than carbohydrates (either simple sugars or starchs).. Hence the reason most of these diets cut the carbs, try to eliminate added sugar (both fructose and glucose) and up the protein levels. E.g. meal replacement mixes re mostly protein. Like everything, it is not black or white, but the simple guidelines should be (1) eliminate added sugar (2) don't eat anything with more than about 3% sugar (except whole fruit); don't eat anything with "lite" in its name; and substitute protein or fat for carbs. (e.g. Eat a slightly larger piece of chicken/fish/ tofu/beef, and cut out the bun. 100 calories each, the protein will allow your appetite to work normally).

^This. Thank you. Reasoning with fact is sooooo much better. Bravo. Did I say thank you?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well nuts.

Makes it taste better, at the very least.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar is ****, so as the high fructose corn syrup. The good sugars are the one that are in fruits, whole grain products, starchy food like sweet potatoes etc, there are also good sugars like maple syrup and agave nectar. Your body runs in sugar, glucose, without it you would die so don't be afraid. Eat as much natural and unprocessed stuff that you can, and indulge from time to time if you want to, and you'll be fine.

Yeah... hate to break this to you, but maple syrup and agave nectar are BOTH processed and refined. If you're going to say sugar is bad, you need to clarify to mean all added sugar -- not naturally occurring sugar. Because even with whole grain products, they are once again, 'refined' and processed. The only real way to avoid sugar is to eat only meat and non-carby/starchy veg. And I say pfffft! Who wants to live that way? Not me! I may live to be 100, but why would I want to if I'm miserable each day? I'd rather live life in moderation. And for the record, my Granny lived to be the ripe old age of 100. And her favorite thing was coffee and dessert! She didn't have diabetes, heart disease, or an even remotely fatty liver. She ate lots of home-grown food and not so home-grown stuff in the mix. It's BALANCE. So to the OP, you're doing more damage stressing and worrying than just living and eating in moderation. If you want to go whole hog and ditch it, then do it because you want to and it's sustainable for you. If not, do what the vast majority of healthy people do and do all things in moderation and be HAPPY!
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    And next week it will be something else that's supposed to be " bad" for us. a while back it was eggs then cheese the list goes on.
    Everything in moderation is a good thing!
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the Inuit has a short lifespan, probably from all the dietary saturated fat clogging their arteries.

The Inuit traditionally had very low incidence of cardiovascular disease.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Food availability of glucose and fat, but not fructose, increased in the US between 1970 and 2009: analysis of the USDA food availability data system

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12/1/130
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just another food. Stop being scared of food. Moderation in everything including water.. because too much of it will kill you too.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    EXCESS REFINED sugar is bad. The apple I mix with my cottage cheese in the morning has sugar, but the apple is NOT bad.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just another food. Stop being scared of food. Moderation in everything including water.. because too much of it will kill you too.

^This^
  • VetGirl13
    Options

:noway: uhh, I trust you have heard of ketoacidosis?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

true.
    If I remember correctly, the lifespan was shortened from unbalanced omega fats.They typically had a high amount of Omega3 and low amount of Omega 6, causing people to stoke and bleed out. Quick we now need to cause mass hysteria about the dangers of Omega 3!
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Create a post about it, quick.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Big food will do everything in their power to deny it including placing people on this site.

< still waiting for my kick back from big sugar...

you conspiracy type people are hilarious..

OP - if you are eating in a deficit, and working out then you can consume sugar and will be fine. obviously, if you are eating 500 calories a day over maintenance in cookies, ice cream, etc etc then you will gain weight..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    "Terrifying"? Oh please. Sugar is just sugar, nothing scary about it. Cancer and Alzheimer's are scary. A-hole Rebublicans shutting down the government because they didn't get their way is scary. Diabetes is scary ( ask my husband...)

I find this interesting (and am not being snide) that you just said "sugar is sugar, nothing scary about it" and then "Diabetes is scary." Assuming we're talking about Type 2 diabetes, the two are at least somewhat linked. If you were referring to Type 1 diabetes, then I misunderstood, and apologize for even bringing it up.

Water and drowning are linked

driving a car can lead to death too....
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

true.
    If I remember correctly, the lifespan was shortened from unbalanced omega fats.They typically had a high amount of Omega3 and low amount of Omega 6, causing people to stoke and bleed out. Quick we now need to cause mass hysteria about the dangers of Omega 3!

Big Food is purposely keeping canned tuna off the grocery store shelves in order to kill us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

true.

Big Food is purposely keeping canned tuna off the grocery store shelves in order to kill us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahah!