Ladies, I need your opinions on birth control!

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler

This is actually a good book. I follow this method because birth control causes me to throw up daily. The book is excellent for preventing pregnancy, getting pregnant, understanding your body and cycles and when there may be problems and when not to worry at all about the normal fluctuations. I studied this in college first, but the book is excellent.
  • P&P method works. (Pull and Pray)
  • beepermad
    beepermad Posts: 198
    If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

Not even an option for women with heavier periods. Did you know that?

False.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

Not even an option for women with heavier periods. Did you know that?

False.
    No, it's not false. Mirena has hormones, therefore she is not talking about Mirena.

The copper IUD causes heavier periods and therefore is not an option for women who already have heavy flows. I know this because I looked into it for myself and actualy researched and discussed it with my doctor.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    you know that will make you gain weight right

I'm losing quite fine on my BC... tyvm :)
    use condoms

No thanks.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    <snip>
    Well, you'll be pleased to find out that most women stop having menstrual cramps once they give birth. :)
    Really? Is the universe against me? I think I've given birth enough times to earn this prize, and naturally at that. I get debilitating cramps sometimes. Usually if I start to take ibuprofen before I really need to it will keep the misery at bay.
    I avoid all hormonal birth control (including the Mirena IUD, which I tried).
    To me, the side effects outweigh the "convenience".

I wish I had never used hormonal BC, to be honest.
    I have six kids, do you really want my opinion on birth control? :laugh:

I don't want any hormones or anything permanently (okay semi-permanently) stuck in my uterus. I use a diaphragm.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    The mini pill is progesterone only, yes? (I could be wrong, but I assume that if it has fewer hormones that that's what it is)

It works well for some people. Breakthrough bleeding is common. I am on the Nexplanon implant which is also progesterone only and I was spotting for so long. I ended up still taking a pill (w/a lot of estrogen) here and there to make it stop anyway, kind of defeating my hopes of spending less $$ on birth control. I've had it for a year and (crosses fingers) seem to be having a normal cycle, FINALLY. If I start spotting again I'll have it taken out.

Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try. I wish I'd tried progesterone pills before going for the implant to see how my body would react. I hadn't had an issue with other methods so I thought I'd be fine. The nice thing with the pill is that if it doesn't work out, you can stop taking it, be back to normal in a week or so, and then try something else.

As for those saying birth control is inherently bad, it is synthetic hormones that your body already produces, just in different proportions. Some people don't do well on it. Some people don't do well OFF of it- personally PMS makes me suicidal when I'm not on it. Going on it the first time was like a choir of angels singing that I wasn't crazy.
  • rml_16
    <snip>
    Well, you'll be pleased to find out that most women stop having menstrual cramps once they give birth. :)
    That simply isn't true.
  • Go westboro get it!
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Every woman will react differently to different birth control. I personally did very well on Depo Provera - no weight gain, no moodiness, and I loved not having a period to deal with. Ortho Tricyclin Lo however made me a bloated, crampy, mood-swinging psychopath.

I personally do not buy into the "birth control will kill you omgz!" hype. Hormonal birth control has been in use since the '60s, and women have somehow managed these past 50 years. There are enough unwanted children in the world - demonizing birth control and touting the ineffective rhythm/interruption methods is socially irresponsible.
  • rml_16
    Go westboro get it!
    The Westboro Baptists do not approve of birth control.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    <snip>
    That simply isn't true.

I didn't think so either!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    I've taken Loestrine (not sure on spelling I'm a horrible speller) for the last 10 years at least and never had a problem. I tried Nuva Ring when it first came out and did not do well. They say it won't come out on it's own but apparently the way my plumbing is shapped it would not stay in. Plus the horomone in it did not like me.
    I do struggle with whether to take birth control or not sometimes because I am so all about keeping chemicals out of my body, eating organic, etc. However I've been in a committed relationship for 15 years and we don't want a baby. I don't trust monitoring my cycles with that big of a decision. Thus...I continue to take the pill.
    If the mini pill is an overall lower dose of hormone like Loestrin it should have less side effects. Just remember that with a lower dose birth control pill you have to be extra careful not to skip a day. That being said take a pill every day...way easier than baby :drinker: Good luck!
  • Go westboro get it!
    The Westboro Baptists do not approve of birth control.

I know that is why we practice pull and pray.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    I've been on Depo for 10 years and haven't had any issues with it. Everyone reacts to it differently. I have gained and lost weight on it. My best friend, on the other hand, gained a lot of weight and had bleeding issues. You just have to find what will work for you :-)
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    I didn't mind the nuvaring at all when I was using it... It's not any more difficult than ob tampons. My husband said he could feel it, but didn't mind. I didn't have any hormonal issues and my periods were much lighter. I'm happy to say I'm almost done with it all... down to two or three times/year... YAY!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Use an alternate input :) 100% effective.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I thought the mini pill was only for moms who were breastfeeding? I don't think its as effective as regular birth control pills.
    I was on the pill, I've done depo shots (which sucked because I had my period all.the.time. but not a problem losing weight), and I now have the Mirena. No issues with it and no period! If you're leery about hormones theres the copper IUD (I think its paragard).
  • emaxtastic
    emaxtastic Posts: 41 Member
    The Pull Out has been shown to be over 99 percent effective

Lies. Pull out is approximately as effective as condom use when used correctly. 27% of women will get pregnant in one year from using the pull-out method incorrectly. Most men don't have enough self-control to do it right.

I assumed he was being sarcastic. Pretty sure we know it's lies lol
  • wufeisgirl
    wufeisgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Do you have a child?
    I have an IUD, the Mirena, only needs replaced every 5 years, never have to think about it. I love it. :)