"The problem with sugar is your problem with sugar"

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    got up to 260 without giving a crap about food. not addicted ever.

If you don't give a crap, you aren't addicted. Part of the definition of addictive behavior is behavior that you want to try to stop but cannot. If you aren't trying to stop the behavior, you aren't addicted.

Thanks but i just said that

-points to where I said I was never addicted-
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Bolded: A good definition for moderation.

In fact, your entire reply is an argument for moderation. You don't completely abstain yet you continue to lose weight. That's moderation right there.

You're practicing what you preach against.

Basically what you are saying is that failed abstinence is moderation. Well, OK, but that's not what I'm really setting out to do.

To me, moderation means eating whatever you want whenever you want in controllable portions that keep you in your daily calorie goal. I can't do that. Or rather, I very, very seldom am able to do that.

Here is a very apropos article that came out today:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/07/health/weight-loss-tory-johnson/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

You may not have always stayed in your daily calorie goals but you obviously stayed with your weekly/monthly calorie goal since you have continued to lose weigh over the six months.

That is moderation. So you ate a bunch at one time. You then made up for it at a later time. It's the first step toward real moderation. The next is spreading out that bunch into smaller, more frequent portions. I still don't understand why you say you can't do it. You are doing it. You're losing weight and still occasionally indulge in the foods you love (hungry or pleasure causes or not).

I'd read that article before since it made the rounds around the forums. I agree with this line and it's exactly what I've been going on about.

" I came to conclude that diets simply pause bad behavior, and this time merely pausing wasn't good enough."
  • brower47
    Options
    I find it very sad that this forum is a place where people come to for support in dieting to bolster their willpower but when people voice the fact that they don't have any they get ridiculed for it.

And I think it's strange that people with eating disorders like anorexia or bulemia are not belittled for their lack of willpower to force themselves to eat. All they have to do is decide to eat, right?

All I'm hearing (and contributing) is the "you can do it, too" attitude. We are trying to empower you by taking the power away from the 'addictive' food. You can do it. You just have let go of the excuse that it's the food's fault. Once you do that, you're just one step closer to having a healthy relationship with food.

The second part, not applicable at all.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Taggin in to read later. :bigsmile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    *snip*
    How much did you weigh at your heaviest?

Is this the part where you tell people they weren't fat enough/you don't believe they were fat and thus their opinions don't count?

I myself was 200+ pounds (I'm only 5'3") at point in my life. Never addicted to food. Just greedy and lazy
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

How much did you weigh at your heaviest?

I weighed 345lbs at my heaviest. Do I qualify?
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You say this yet you yourself can't even abstain. How would you know if learning moderation is harder when you haven't even shown that you can master abstinence.

I've been mostly doing it for the last 6 months. Trust me, if I kept "bad foods" around the house, I'd probably be eating them more often than not. Sometimes I still fail, so I guess you are right that at least total abstinence hasn't worked. My willpower just isn't that strong.

let's see... i have pizza and bagels in the house. cinnamon & raisin bagels are my kryptonite. i had one slice of pizza for breakfast at 8:15AM. i had a banana about 2 hours later. i'm sitting here wasting time on MFP and yet these yummy foods are in my house and i'm not eating them. why exactly am i able to resist going downstairs and eating all of the pizza and bagels and you are not?... that's a didactic question. the answer is that i don't blame the food, i understand that i can and do eat those foods, and i am able to control the amounts i do eat because i'm not constantly depriving myself of them (and thus obsessing over them). try changing your mindset. i bet it will work better for you than what you're currently doing, because "dieting" is never the answer... changing your relationship with food is.

Some of us have changed our relationship with food. We broke it off. The foods I choose not to eat are in my house, at my job, in every grocery store and restaurant I go to. I can eat them morning, noon, and night, if I CHOOSE to and do not obsess over them. I have free will. I choose to exercise it in the way the suits me best. I do not feel deprived, I feel EMPOWERED. Obviously in the same way you do. And most likely we would find our day to day behaviors were not that much different from one another. Except when it comes to wine. But that is another story.

And maybe in the same way that some who feels that they are addicted and successful in abstinence does. There is obviously more than one path to success...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I find it very sad that this forum is a place where people come to for support in dieting to bolster their willpower but when people voice the fact that they don't have any they get ridiculed for it.

And I think it's strange that people with eating disorders like anorexia or bulemia are not belittled for their lack of willpower to force themselves to eat. All they have to do is decide to eat, right?

SERIOUSLY jumped the shark on this one. :frown:
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    lol i just wanted to bump for further reading but i see this thread turned into a clusterf*** while i was away :laugh:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you must cut it out because you have a problem with sugar, that is fine. But understand it's not because sugar is evil or poison, it's because of your relationship with it.

I think I've seen maybe 3 or 4 posts like this within the 10 pages of replies that actually seem to grasp the point of the article.

Mentioning sugar is as bad as bringing up religion or politics. Jump to a conclusion, get defensive, lash out, miss the point completely.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You say this yet you yourself can't even abstain. How would you know if learning moderation is harder when you haven't even shown that you can master abstinence.

I've been mostly doing it for the last 6 months. Trust me, if I kept "bad foods" around the house, I'd probably be eating them more often than not. Sometimes I still fail, so I guess you are right that at least total abstinence hasn't worked. My willpower just isn't that strong.

let's see... i have pizza and bagels in the house. cinnamon & raisin bagels are my kryptonite. i had one slice of pizza for breakfast at 8:15AM. i had a banana about 2 hours later. i'm sitting here wasting time on MFP and yet these yummy foods are in my house and i'm not eating them. why exactly am i able to resist going downstairs and eating all of the pizza and bagels and you are not?... that's a didactic question. the answer is that i don't blame the food, i understand that i can and do eat those foods, and i am able to control the amounts i do eat because i'm not constantly depriving myself of them (and thus obsessing over them). try changing your mindset. i bet it will work better for you than what you're currently doing, because "dieting" is never the answer... changing your relationship with food is.

Some of us have changed our relationship with food. We broke it off. The foods I choose not to eat are in my house, at my job, in every grocery store and restaurant I go to. I can eat them morning, noon, and night, if I CHOOSE to and do not obsess over them. I have free will. I choose to exercise it in the way the suits me best. I do not feel deprived, I feel EMPOWERED. Obviously in the same way you do. And most likely we would find our day to day behaviors were not that much different from one another. Except when it comes to wine. But that is another story.

And maybe in the same way that some who feels that they are addicted and successful in abstinence does. There is obviously more than one path to success...

This says it beautifully.

Remember all the talk about Oreos a few pages back? I used to be able to down half a package of them in a sitting. I no longer touch them and don't really miss them. I don't obsess over them just because I've stopped eating them. I can walk by them in the grocery store and not be compelled to pick any up. I can even have them in the house and not feel compelled to eat any. The thought of them hadn't even occurred to me until it got brought up here. I have found, though, that if I do eat one, the craving for more is there. So I don't eat any. Besides, I'd rather spend my calorie allotment on good chocolate.

Also, the processed sources of sugar, such as Oreos, are actually engineered to cause a physiological addictive response (these are known as "highly palatable foods"). They're made to have just the right combinations of sugar, salt, and fat to maximize the dopamine response. It's that dopamine high that addicts of all sorts chase. And just like those who frequently take drugs, those who eat the highly palatable foods in order to get the dopamine response have to consume more to get the same response. Likewise, if you cut off the supply for a length of time, and try to consume at the amounts that you had, previously, you end up with worse effects (in the case of highly palatable foods, that's often an upset stomach at amounts that didn't used to affect you). Additionally, like drugs, the highly palatable foods (and all stimulation, really) alter the neural pathways in the brain, and consuming the item in question reinforces those pathways. Abstaining from them helps diminish them, but whether a person can reintroduce the item depends on how strong and easily re-established those pathways are.

It may be also worth noting that people who go from a high carb intake to a low carb intake almost invariably experience some level of "carb flu," which has symptoms not unlike what's seen in other withdrawal situations, and that these symptoms are often worse when going from a diet heavy in highly processed carbs (ie - lots of the "junk food" and not much in the way of vegetable and fruit based carbs) to one that is primarily naturally-sourced carbs (which don't provide the same dopamine response, even at the same levels of carbs).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=0
    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/drugs/
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this because I do have a sweet tooth and my day is not complete without some sweet stuff. I stay within my macros and still try to keep my proteins a little higher and my carbs a little on the low side, but I refuse to completely restrict myself when it comes to eating. Everyone knows that it's so much harder to stick to a calorie restricted diet without a treat or two. I've hung in there a long time and I have a little something everyday and gee...I have done pretty good at it!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Yep, I'll take that. Although HFCS /the highly processed sugars we have today are a completely different creature to the naturally occurring sugars found in fruit.

If I could cheaply buy pot, coke & Ecstasy pretty much EVERYWHERE I would have a problem with them too.

Well, not so much a problem as just a minimal relationship with sobriety.
  • brower47
    Options

Yep, I'll take that. Although HFCS /the highly processed sugars we have today are a completely different creature to the naturally occurring sugars found in fruit.

If I could cheaply buy pot, coke & Ecstasy pretty much EVERYWHERE I would have a problem with them too.

:noway: SMH

Sugar in no way is equal to psychotropic drugs. STAHP now, please.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Where do you live that pot isn't cheap and readily available?

And aside from that, the only thing keeping you from smoking pot or doing coke and X is that it costs too much/is too hard to get? Sheesh.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I smoke it in moderation, it works the same way.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

This says it beautifully.

Remember all the talk about Oreos a few pages back? I used to be able to down half a package of them in a sitting. I no longer touch them and don't really miss them. I don't obsess over them just because I've stopped eating them. I can walk by them in the grocery store and not be compelled to pick any up. I can even have them in the house and not feel compelled to eat any. The thought of them hadn't even occurred to me until it got brought up here. I have found, though, that if I do eat one, the craving for more is there. So I don't eat any. Besides, I'd rather spend my calorie allotment on good chocolate.

Also, the processed sources of sugar, such as Oreos, are actually engineered to cause a physiological addictive response (these are known as "highly palatable foods"). They're made to have just the right combinations of sugar, salt, and fat to maximize the dopamine response. It's that dopamine high that addicts of all sorts chase. And just like those who frequently take drugs, those who eat the highly palatable foods in order to get the dopamine response have to consume more to get the same response. Likewise, if you cut off the supply for a length of time, and try to consume at the amounts that you had, previously, you end up with worse effects (in the case of highly palatable foods, that's often an upset stomach at amounts that didn't used to affect you). Additionally, like drugs, the highly palatable foods (and all stimulation, really) alter the neural pathways in the brain, and consuming the item in question reinforces those pathways. Abstaining from them helps diminish them, but whether a person can reintroduce the item depends on how strong and easily re-established those pathways are.

It may be also worth noting that people who go from a high carb intake to a low carb intake almost invariably experience some level of "carb flu," which has symptoms not unlike what's seen in other withdrawal situations, and that these symptoms are often worse when going from a diet heavy in highly processed carbs (ie - lots of the "junk food" and not much in the way of vegetable and fruit based carbs) to one that is primarily naturally-sourced carbs (which don't provide the same dopamine response, even at the same levels of carbs).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=0
    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/drugs/

the oreo was invented in 1912. i highly doubt anyone was "engineering foods to cause a physiological addictive response" more than 100 years ago.
  • Hotinadvance
    Options
    I don't have a problem with sugar. I'd bang sugar.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    This should be required reading (the article, not this thread).