"The problem with sugar is your problem with sugar"

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because I have a compulsion to read threads w/ the word "sugar" in the title.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Although I prefer Splenda over sugar ( just a preference of mine) I get along fine with sugar. I enjoy all foods, in moderation. I am not an enemy of any one food (except Brussel sprouts ) as long as I do not go overboard. As far as Brussel Sprouts, I have no idea what to do with them...lol.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Why do I love Saturdays??? I wake up to an Apple Fritter AND a lemon filled donut, every Saturday. My husband gets them nice and early for me when they are fresh! Then, later on, I usually have skittles... taste the rainbow... I love skittles!!! My weight loss has not been hindered by my LOVE AFFAIR with sugar!

Oh GOD... and the oreo truffles I made this weekend... yeah... they are already gone...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.

I read this as, "Tagging to clean up the inevitable dumpster fire later."

:drinker:
  • futuresoonermom
    futuresoonermom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why do I love Saturdays??? I wake up to an Apple Fritter AND a lemon filled donut, every Saturday. My husband gets them nice and early for me when they are fresh! Then, later on, I usually have skittles... taste the rainbow... I love skittles!!! My weight loss has not been hindered by my LOVE AFFAIR with sugar!

Oh GOD... and the oreo truffles I made this weekend... yeah... they are already gone...

There are no skittles better than sour skittles! Oh, and I think after all this oreo talk, I'm going to get some after lunch. :-D
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

There are no skittles better than sour skittles! Oh, and I think after all this oreo talk, I'm going to get some after lunch. :-D

YEAH, ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY RUINED THE ORIGINAL BAG REPLACING THE LIME WITH GREEN APPLE!!! and yes, I am yelling!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, another article telling me how much I need added sugar. :yawn:
    It doesn't say that AT ALL...

tldr.jpg

I admit I only read about half of it. But after all the "if you give up sugar you will binge" nonsense I stopped. Sounded like more of the same old same old to me.

This was an important point in this article:
    Am I making the two sides clear? I am fine with telling someone to cut out something in particular if it’s hindering their progress. But I’ll tell them exactly why. Not that that food “is the problem,” the problem is them with that food. And that can change when their relationship with food changes. If someone has to get all ice cream out of the house because it’s attached to a binge, then do so! But it’s not the ice cream.

If you must cut it out because you have a problem with sugar, that is fine. But understand it's not because sugar is evil or poison, it's because of your relationship with it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

YEAH, ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY RUINED THE ORIGINAL BAG REPLACING THE LIME WITH GREEN APPLE!!! and yes, I am yelling!

:laugh: glad I'm not the only one irritated by that move!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of the usual 'putting the blame on the substance rather than owning their own behavior' on here.
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I thought i was the only one who felt that way about the green!
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options
    Oh Sara. Naive Sara of 25 posts. Here lies the age old MFP battle. Those who can't and those who not only insist you can, but do so in the nicest (I ate donuts everyday and went to McDonalds, drank diet soda and lost weight) way.
    Yes, there are those of us who are referred lovingly to as "special snowflakes" who for some reason psychological, biological, physiological, don't do well with processed carbs and sugar. They trigger us, they sabotage us, they make us miserable and fat (they is really us, but the way). We choose to lose weight by restricting them - not eliminating them. And, it works. Long term and short term. We don't fall off the wagon, we don't feel deprived, we are actually happy, healthy, and losing weight without them. I don't fantasize about oreos. And occasionally I eat candy (which actually reinforces my choices because I usually feel sick and sleepy). Paleo, Keto, Low Carb, on and on. There are lots of groups on this site that feel the way you do. Join a few.

Haha, thank you! I'm really of the belief that people can eat whatever crap they want to lose weight/stay healthy, may it be McDonalds, may be salad. But I'm seriously tired of being accused of "lacking self-control" just because I'm one of those who gets triggered by sugar.

For me, not eating sugar/carbs is not an issue (as for you), for me trying to eat carbs (since you're a bad bad person if you can't eat everything in moderation) is an issue since it gives me eating disorders.

Oh well, if people want to gorge in sugar they are allowed to do so.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, another article telling me how much I need added sugar. :yawn:
    It doesn't say that AT ALL...

tldr.jpg

I admit I only read about half of it. But after all the "if you give up sugar you will binge" nonsense I stopped. Sounded like more of the same old same old to me.

This was an important point in this article:
    Am I making the two sides clear? I am fine with telling someone to cut out something in particular if it’s hindering their progress. But I’ll tell them exactly why. Not that that food “is the problem,” the problem is them with that food. And that can change when their relationship with food changes. If someone has to get all ice cream out of the house because it’s attached to a binge, then do so! But it’s not the ice cream.

If you must cut it out because you have a problem with sugar, that is fine. But understand it's not because sugar is evil or poison, it's because of your relationship with it.

^ werd.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So after reading so many posts, I think I can summarize my take on the 'moderation vs abstaining' debate

-learning moderation is difficult
    -abstaining from food is difficult

However, you only have to learn moderation once. Abstinence will be difficult forever. You (royal you, not directed at any one person) are never going to forget that oreos are awesome, despite how militant you may become, and how loud you may shout about eating clean. As hard as anyone may try to keep their home free from any trigger foods, those foods still exist. They pop up at parties, outings, work, wherever you least expect them. You cannot control your entire external environment, so you might as well learn to control yourself.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

I thought i was the only one who felt that way about the green!

YEP... Why fix what "aint" broke...
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    So after reading so many posts, I think I can summarize my take on the 'moderation vs abstaining' debate

-learning moderation is difficult
    -abstaining from food is difficult

However, you only have to learn moderation once. Abstinence will be difficult forever. You (royal you, not directed at any one person) are never going to forget that oreos are awesome, despite how militant you may become, and how loud you may shout about eating clean. As hard as anyone may try to keep their home free from any trigger foods, those foods still exist. They pop up at parties, outings, work, wherever you least expect them. You cannot control your entire external environment, so you might as well learn to control yourself.

IF I HEAR ONE MORE WORD ABOUT OREOS... IM GOING TO MAKE ANOTHER BATCH OF OREO TRUFFLES!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Oh Sara. Naive Sara of 25 posts. Here lies the age old MFP battle. Those who can't and those who not only insist you can, but do so in the nicest (I ate donuts everyday and went to McDonalds, drank diet soda and lost weight) way.
    Yes, there are those of us who are referred lovingly to as "special snowflakes" who for some reason psychological, biological, physiological, don't do well with processed carbs and sugar. They trigger us, they sabotage us, they make us miserable and fat (they is really us, but the way). We choose to lose weight by restricting them - not eliminating them. And, it works. Long term and short term. We don't fall off the wagon, we don't feel deprived, we are actually happy, healthy, and losing weight without them. I don't fantasize about oreos. And occasionally I eat candy (which actually reinforces my choices because I usually feel sick and sleepy). Paleo, Keto, Low Carb, on and on. There are lots of groups on this site that feel the way you do. Join a few.

Haha, thank you! I'm really of the belief that people can eat whatever crap they want to lose weight/stay healthy, may it be McDonalds, may be salad. But I'm seriously tired of being accused of "lacking self-control" just because I'm one of those who gets triggered by sugar.

For me, not eating sugar/carbs is not an issue (as for you), for me trying to eat carbs (since you're a bad bad person if you can't eat everything in moderation) is an issue since it gives me eating disorders.

Oh well, if people want to gorge in sugar they are allowed to do so.

We don't gorge, we eat in moderation!!! (see ticker below) :happy:

Ohhh I bought a 10 pound bag of sugar today!!! :bigsmile:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, because this promises to get entertaining, full of name-calling, and even maybe some rudeness :laugh:
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    8vtRMYP.jpg

White sugar cube
    How I adore thee
    Crystalline joy
    You sweeten my tea