Women: How much do you lift?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Keep your head down and move forward. Sometimes the growth is slower than you'd like.
    totally... head down and chin up- we like to say.

success requires a plan... and then the time to ride it out. Most people simply lack the patience to succeed to be honest.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Zerchers? They are a favourite of mine.

yeah I don't DO either of them really.. because they are awkward. but I'm aware of them and dole them out as needed... problem with a zercher is you still gotta get it UP on you arms. and with no rack that's harder. My friend does like a 200 lb zercher (or can) and there is no way she's lifting that flat off the floor. hence the jefferson recommenation- but if she can get it up there- then definitly- totally an option.

DB pistol squats- also an option ;) when you get saucy

Have you thought about doing them off cinder blocks or something similar? When I first started, I had no rack and had all the same limitations as you're having. IIRC, I was able to elevate the bar with blocks to do zerchers. At least that way if you fail, it's easier to dump than with other variations.
  • LittleAngelamj
    LittleAngelamj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do dead lifts with a bar 50 lbs on it. Bicep and Triceps 15 lbs. I don't really like to use heavy weights because I just want to tone.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I do dead lifts with a bar 50 lbs on it. Bicep and Triceps 15 lbs. I don't really like to use heavy weights because I just want to tone.

Just out of curiosity - who have you seen in this thread that you would consider more than "toned".
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I currently do dead lifts, squats, dead lift row, upright rows, hack squats (machine) and bench press 3 days a week.

I do five sets of five reps. My current weights are as follows:

DL - 155 lbs
    Squat - 185 lbs
    DLR - 115 lbs
    UR - 80 lbs
    HS - 310 lbs
    BP - 90 lbs

For reference, I am 6' and weigh 197 lbs.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read all pages
  • EMichalene
    Options
    Squat 3x10 70lbs bar
    Deadlift 3x10 95lbs bar
    Lunges 3x10 50lbs bar
    Calf raises 3x20 50lbs bar
    Seated leg press 3x10 165lbs
    Goodmornings 3x10 45lbs bar

this was yesterdays leg day.
    i only started heavy weight training 6days/week and doing insanity 3x/week along with a light workout that day just over a month ago and i'm seeing serious improvements :)
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    '

Did you know muscle "tone" is just visible muscle?

Toned=muscle... And for the record, women don't have the naturally occurring testosterone necessary to build "bulky" man muscles.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Took the words right outta my mouth!!!
    '

Toned=muscle... And for the record, women don't have the naturally occurring testosterone necessary to build "bulky" man muscles.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    Took the words right outta my mouth!!!
    '

• 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Squat 3X5 or 5X5 at 140 (low-bar, parallel)
    Bench 3X5 at 73
    Deadlift 1X3 or 5 at 165
    Overhead press 5X5 at 60
    Row 3x5 at 80

I'm glad this thread popped up - I've been feeling like I haven't been progressing in my weight loss, but I'm lifting pretty well so it made me feel better to post something positive. :)
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just started last week and I do 20lbs squat, overhead press, and deadlift, using a weighted barbell doing 5 x 5. Once I can do 40lbs safely I want to move over to the squat rack. I've tried using the squat rack and the bar is too heavy for me to lift.
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Been lifting for 5 weeks with 5x5 strong lifts
    squat 110 lb
    deadlift 88lb
    back row 77lb
    bench press 33lb
    I have really poor upper body strength......
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started lifting on September 9th 2013 and I am loving it.
    5ft 7 (169 when I started down to 167) hit my fails this past week...

5x5 squat @115lbs
    5x5 Bench @80lbs (failed last rep/las set @85lbs)
    5x5 Row @90lbs
    5x5 OHP @60lbs (failed last set/last rep @65lbs)
    1x5 DL @120lbs
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    I lifted weights all through high school, but haven't touched a barbell in 11 years. Started back this summer, and after 6 weeks of heavy lifting (oh how I've missed it!), I maxed out at:
    DL - 215
    Squat - 155 (never been good at squats, even though I have very strong legs/glutes)
    BP - 130
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

oiy

heavy weights is how you tone. technically- even though 'toned' is just kind of a made up word by the fitness industry to trick women- for god only knows what reason.

learn to do the heavy weights- the compound lifts- I'm a bellydancer. trust me... I'm plenty 'toned' and I'm pulling some quality weights. doooooo eeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttt

lift ALL the things! :D

so another thought- anyone working over head squats- I transitioned to front squats (or rather alternating between front and back) and I'm seriously considering bringing over heads in... I have good enough mobility for it. I feel like it's more of a neat lift to do rather than a fundamental one- but meh- I like doing challenging things. Anyone else tapping into those?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Bench 5x5 @ 65lbs
    Squat 5x5 @ 80lbs
    Deadlift 5x5 @ 115lbs
    Pendlay Row 5x 5 @ 80lbs
    OHPress is a shameful 45lbs... I just can't add to these yet lol
  • teaparty75
    Options
    Squat-255
    Deadlift-275
    Bench-150

No gloves, chalk only, no straps, wraps with maxes

You're profile pic is super inspiring !!

4th week into this new life style :

military press : 40lbs
    squat : 70lbs
    deadlift : 60lbs
    bench press : 50 lbs....3 sets 8 - 10 reps .....you all got me inspired to step it up !!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    Squat-255
    Deadlift-275
    Bench-150

No gloves, chalk only, no straps, wraps with maxes

You're profile pic is super inspiring !!

4th week into this new life style :

military press : 40lbs
    squat : 70lbs
    deadlift : 60lbs
    bench press : 50 lbs....3 sets 8 - 10 reps .....you all got me inspired to step it up !!

thank you sweetie :love: And thanks for the FR too!
    Keep doing EXACTLY what your doing, and you'll be hittin' triples in no time! :drinker: