Revving up slowed metabolism, gaining weight :(

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You're hilarious. :drinker:

As if you'd actually have a conversation with anyone on here without telling them they're wrong. Stop wasting you're own time if you're convinced you have all the answer? I dont know, that's what i'd suggest. But it's pretty obvious everything we say is just being "cocky".

I have to agree that your responses are not helpful. She has asked you multiple times to let the topic go. She is asking specific questions, but you are determined to only voice your own opinion & drowned out and belittle all others. I'm curious what your nutritional background & training are to be so persistent in your harassment of the OP? She has spoken with her physician & her trainer, and they have given her advice. You somehow think yours is more valid, why is that?

As an aside, I have answered the OP's question & stuck to the topic. Now before you blow me off too, I'll just let you know that I am a physician with EXTENSIVE training & experience in newborn & ICU nutrition. That doesn't make me an expert in adult nutrition & weight loss, but it does prepare me to evaluate articles & research in the topic of weight loss & nutrition. I have read extensively in the topic since starting my weight loss & dare say I am a little more qualified than you. Care to take me on? If not, let the topic go!!!

Thumbs up! :flowerforyou:
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

As if you'd actually have a conversation with anyone on here without telling them they're wrong. Stop wasting you're own time if you're convinced you have all the answer? I dont know, that's what i'd suggest. But it's pretty obvious everything we say is just being "cocky".

I have to agree that your responses are not helpful. She has asked you multiple times to let the topic go. She is asking specific questions, but you are determined to only voice your own opinion & drowned out and belittle all others. I'm curious what your nutritional background & training are to be so persistent in your harassment of the OP? She has spoken with her physician & her trainer, and they have given her advice. You somehow think yours is more valid, why is that?

As an aside, I have answered the OP's question & stuck to the topic. Now before you blow me off too, I'll just let you know that I am a physician with EXTENSIVE training & experience in newborn & ICU nutrition. That doesn't make me an expert in adult nutrition & weight loss, but it does prepare me to evaluate articles & research in the topic of weight loss & nutrition. I have read extensively in the topic since starting my weight loss & dare say I am a little more qualified than you. Care to take me on? If not, let the topic go!!! Folks like you who keep advocating lower & lower caloric intake without any regard to the patient specifics or nutrition are very dangerous! I've kept my opinions in this regard to myself for months on end, and only lately began to respond & speak out, because I think your viewpoint is dangerous! Deficits of >20% SHOULD NOT be undertaken without a physician's guidance. Weight loss of >1 pound/week is also ill advised & should not be undertaken without a physician's guidance. I also agree that most physicians are not well trained in nutrition during medical school, which is why I turned to the bariatric medical research literature for my opinions not the "bro science" spouted on the majority of these boards. There is HEALTHY weight loss & UNHEALTHY weight loss, I prefer to advocate for the former!

I thought that posters original advice was very helpful. As someone whose weight loss has stalled in the past it made sense. You can't ask for advice and then be rude to people who don't give you the answer you want to hear.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The advice I was seeking was from like-minded individuals who understand that once you up your caloric intake after months and months of starving yourself that yes, you're going to see an uptick on the scale, and maybe offer some guidance as to how long I might experience said uptick before it started to go back down.

I did NOT ask for another approach, or to be told I'm over eating, under exercising, I didn't ask for any of that. I did not come here looking for unsolicited advice. I came here with a very specific question, one that a handful of people chose to disregard in favor of pushing their own agendas.

I wasn't rude until about page 3, where I had had enough of the damn assumptions about myself, my intelligence, or my ability to log wtf i put in my mouth. Logging calories is not rocket science.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So, I have been in your shoes. I know what you are talking about. I am currently pregnant and using this time to NOT diet, not count calories and cut back on my workouts.

I am wondering when was the last time you ate at maintenance? Before I got pregnant, I was eating at maintenance, trying to get my metabolism back on track. Since you are only eating 1600 calories a day right now you might want to bump that up slowly, 100-200 per week for a few weeks then add on. You will probably gain more weight. I don't know how much. But I would suggest you try this for a WHILE. A few months. Your body needs to repair and reset. I know I have read some good articles on this but I can't remember where I found them.

Also, I think the strength training will help so keep that up.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options

As an aside, I have answered the OP's question & stuck to the topic. Now before you blow me off too, I'll just let you know that I am a physician with EXTENSIVE training & experience in newborn & ICU nutrition. That doesn't make me an expert in adult nutrition & weight loss, but it does prepare me to evaluate articles & research in the topic of weight loss & nutrition. I have read extensively in the topic since starting my weight loss & dare say I am a little more qualified than you. Care to take me on? If not, let the topic go!!!

You must have missed the other pages of her telling people off for giving valid advice. Why am i persistent on this? Would you tell a patient to take a medication for diabetes if they weren't diabetic? Would you tell a patient to take an antibiotic for a virus? Of course you wouldn't. You would give them care that is in line with their illness and/or problem.

If a patient came into your office convinced she had cancer despite numerous screenings telling her otherwise would you advise her to simply see someone else who would tell her she has cancer?

As a physician i'm sure you're familiar with peer reviewed studies on this topic. Our bodies work in a systemic way and she is not the exception.

You can't just disregard fact because you want to believe otherwise.

I edited & added to my statement before you quoted it. I ask you to go back & read my full reply, because it still applies! Your advice is overbearing & dangerous, especially when advocating without knowing all the facts. I have exchanged further messages with the OP. You need to let it go, before you embarrass yourself & lead others astray, as the OP has asked. I don't know how to be more blunt.

As for folks questioning her TDEE, I am shorter, lighter & OLDER than the OP & have a TDEE of around 2200. My sister, who is taller than me, but heavier & older than the OP has a TDEE of 2400. Her TDEE is not out of line with her measurements & age. Just as a small percentage of folks (<5 feet) can lose weight appropriately on 1200 calories/day, folks at height >5-8 are going to have much higher TDEE than the majority of women on this board without taking into account a huge calorie burn from exercise. While there are "no special snowflakes," there are likewise inherent difference between us owing to age, height, weight, physical health, etc. That is where many of these response are missing out. The OP is appropriately concerned with conserving/building muscle mass & that is weighing into her decisions. If more women worked to ensure adequate calorie intake & protein intake, they would find their weigh loss journey more success in both the short term & LONG TERM. Pay attention to all those "I'm back" post & see what their calorie & weight loss goals were. Your diet should be a long term lifestyle change, not a temporary "lose as much as possible, as fast as possible." That attitude buys you nothing but the fast track back!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The advice I was seeking was from like-minded individuals who understand that once you up your caloric intake after months and months of starving yourself that yes, you're going to see an uptick on the scale...

You are starting from a false premise. If you are eating at a consistent deficit, you will lose weight, consistently.

Put another way, you are begging the question.
  • Docpremie
    Options
    The advice I was seeking was from like-minded individuals who understand that once you up your caloric intake after months and months of starving yourself that yes, you're going to see an uptick on the scale...

You are starting from a false premise. If you are eating at a consistent deficit, you will lose weight, consistently.

Put another way, you are begging the question.

This is not always true. If so, you would lose weight eating zero calories days on end without exception & weight loss would be more linear. Yes the deficit matters, both not enough & too much. The body will eventually seek to conserve, thus you don't have the energy to carry out your daily routine. There is a too low limit, especially when it comes to losing muscle mass! The number on the scale isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss & health!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

You must have missed the other pages of her telling people off for giving valid advice. Why am i persistent on this? Would you tell a patient to take a medication for diabetes if they weren't diabetic? Would you tell a patient to take an antibiotic for a virus? Of course you wouldn't. You would give them care that is in line with their illness and/or problem.

If a patient came into your office convinced she had cancer despite numerous screenings telling her otherwise would you advise her to simply see someone else who would tell her she has cancer?

As a physician i'm sure you're familiar with peer reviewed studies on this topic. Our bodies work in a systemic way and she is not the exception.

You can't just disregard fact because you want to believe otherwise.

I edited & added to my statement before you quoted it. I ask you to go back & read my full reply, because it still applies! Your advice is overbearing & dangerous, especially when advocating without knowing all the facts. I have exchanged further messages with the OP. You need to let it go, before you embarrass yourself & lead others astray, as the OP has asked. I don't know how to be more blunt.

As for folks questioning her TDEE, I am shorter, lighter & OLDER than the OP & have a TDEE of around 2200. My sister, who is taller than me, but heavier & older than the OP has a TDEE of 2400. Her TDEE is not out of line with her measurements & age. Just as a small percentage of folks (<5 feet) can lose weight appropriately on 1200 calories/day, folks at height >5-8 are going to have much higher TDEE than the majority of women on this board without taking into account a huge calorie burn from exercise. While there are "no special snowflakes," there are likewise inherent difference between us owing to age, height, weight, physical health, etc. That is where many of these response are missing out. The OP is appropriately concerned with conserving/building muscle mass & that is weighing into her decisions. If more women worked to ensure adequate calorie intake & protein intake, they would find their weigh loss journey more success in both the short term & LONG TERM. Pay attention to all those "I'm back" post & see what their calorie & weight loss goals were. Your diet should be a long term lifestyle change, not a temporary "lose as much as possible, as fast as possible." That attitude buys you nothing but the fast track back!

Okay, please tell me where i told her to eat less or offered she needed to be on a crash diet and not lift weights? I told her that if she were truly eating 1600 calories a day (which should be a deficit) she would be losing weight. She's not. She's done this for a month consistently and GAINED 7 pounds.

I agree completely that people should eat adequate calories, protein, carbohydrates, fats and micronutrients. Nowhere did i say otherwise.

I simply told her what's she's doing isn't working. She needs to test her BMR to find out accurately what it is and if there's any other issues going on because until then she doesn't have sufficient information to claim she has a damaged metabolism. I told her to continue to lift weights to retain muscle mass but understand the crash dieting she has done has likely resulted in a large amount of muscle mass being catabolized. Each time she gained weight back she gained it back in fat. I told her that gaining and or building new muscle on a calorie deficit isn't going to happen. I told her to get a scale and weigh/measure her food just to make sure she was logging as accurately as possible. I told her to find her TDEE accurately and then create her deficit.

I'm sorry that you guys feel the need to private message back and forth about how i need to save myself future embarrassment, but please don't advocate the exact same thing i did and then tell me i'm wrong.
  • Docpremie
    Options

I'm sorry that you guys feel the need to private message back and forth about how i need to save myself future embarrassment, but please don't advocate the exact same thing i did and then tell me i'm wrong.

You'll be glad to know that we never once discussed you! We discussed her diet, dietary change & I sent her some good recipes. None of that had anything to do with YOU! Wow!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Rainbow's right.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

You'll be glad to know that we never once discussed you! We discussed her diet, dietary change & I sent her some good recipes. None of that had anything to do with YOU! Wow!!!

Not going to address anything else i said? No? Okay then.

When you say it like this " Your advice is overbearing & dangerous, especially when advocating without knowing all the facts. I have exchanged further messages with the OP. You need to let it go, before you embarrass yourself & lead others astray, as the OP has asked. I don't know how to be more blunt. " it implies you discussed me. If not, that's fine. But the advice i gave is almost exactly what you said. If anything i encouraged her to get tested and know FOR SURE what's going on instead of basing her diet off an assumption.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

Okay, please tell me where i told her to eat less or offered she needed to be on a crash diet and not lift weights? I told her that if she were truly eating 1600 calories a day (which should be a deficit) she would be losing weight. She's not. She's done this for a month consistently and GAINED 7 pounds.

Did you bother to read this:
    I could go into further detail about my 'disordered eating' (not sure if that's the same as an eating disorder), but I didn't reeeeally want to put myself out there like that, for obvious reasons. Suffice it to say, there have been times my caloric intake was 500 calories/day, however that was short lived (about a month).

So basically, if you go back maybe 6 months, I was at 500 cals/day for a month. I lost 8# that month and said said eff this, and moved back to what I felt was my 'safety net' of Medifast, which put me at 800-1000 cal/day. I did that for a couple months. I had no loss. I moved up to 1200 calories and did that for a couple months. Had my yearly physical, thyroid checked out ok, blood sugar from overnight fasting was fine. Cholesterol is up, but that will go down once I lose some weight...... Dr scorned me for eating so little still, and told me to ramp up the calories. Advised I'd see an uptick on the scale and not to get discouraged. I upped the calories to 1600, started a daily walking regimen, and have been at it for a month. I hired a trainer, started participating in his circuit training classes (heavy lifting), but that's so new it doesn't play into this- I've only been to one class so far. Now, here's some speculation.....

Last week, I walked 5.16 miles a day, with the exception of Thursday when I did a 10 mile hike with my kids. Wednesday, I did that lifting class. Certainly would expect some water retention from these two activities, so I'm *hoping* that I see as significant a drop this week as I have seen an increase since last Wednesday. And if that's the case, then I can safely assume that of the 7# I 'put on' this month, the majority of that was water retention from the hike/lifting. The rest? Perhaps water retention due to increased glycogen stores, now that I'm no longer low carbing and in ketosis.

And if all that pans out like I hope, then this would be 'my week', to start seeing it all turn around. It's just that after a month, I'm feeling a little antsy and decided to post for guidance from folks who understand THIS method of weight loss. I apologize for coming across as close-minded (I am, to be honest, because I've picked a methodology and I'm going to see it through to success). I appreciate the different opinions and options out there, but the way some folks were making assumptions and insinuations about me, it got my hackles up and I went all defense. Sorry 'bout that.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Or is water retention a myth as well?

Again, I didn't come here asking for caloric advice. I asked how long I can expect the scale to be screwing with my after upping my calories after repeatedly doing damage to myself on VLCD.

How that turned into, please, tell me I'm inaccurately logging is beyond me.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I mean we're all arguing semantics now. No one can help you and you clearly cant help yourself until you get your RMR tested. Period.

You claim you have a damaged metabolism? Go get it tested.
    You claim you are eating "x" amount of calories but aren't losing weight? Test that the number is correct.
    You claim you are burning "x" amount of calories causing this huge deficit? Test the number is correct with a VO2 max in conjunction with your RMR testing.
    You claim you are gaining weight? Test to make sure you are gaining fat. If so, one of the above is not accurate. ^ This isn't my opinion, this is fact.

I cannot even believe that i have been made out to be the "bad guy" in this situation when in fact OP disregards everything she is told.
  • Docpremie
    Options
    Rainbow's right.

Oh goody! Next time I won't waste my time going to medical school, doing a residency & fellowship, or having 23 years of ICU experience. I just apply for my doctorate from the MFP "Cracker Jack" box! :huh:
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Rainbow's right.

Oh goody! Next time I won't waste my time going to medical school, doing a residency & fellowship, or having 23 years of ICU experience. I just apply for my doctorate from the MFP "Cracker Jack" box! :huh:

I'm sorry, but don't use your prestigious degree to argue that everyone is subservient to you and clearly wrong. Nothing i stated has anything to do with your medical school or ICU experience. I stated facts. Albeit i probably could have added more fluff and *cheering the op on* crap to not get attacked.

OP hasn't even mentioned how she measured body fat, simply that it's 40%. She hasn't added that she has gained 7 pounds of FAT. She hasn't mentioned an increase/decrease in measurements.

As i stated above, we're all arguing semantics. But don't take it personally Doc! I never said anything that disagrees with your views personally.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Rainbow's right.

What did Rainbow say that was incorrect?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Rainbow's right.

What did Rainbow say that was incorrect?

I dont know who you are Penfoldsplace, but thank you for not immediately attacking me. Thanks for actually reading my original post. Thanks for at least seeing the malicious intent behind the OP of this thread. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Rainbow's right.

You know Doc...I was with you until this... kind of beneath you don't you think? Clearly you haven't always had all the answers... or you wouldn't be here.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

OP hasn't even mentioned how she measured body fat, simply that it's 40%. She hasn't added that she has gained 7 pounds of FAT. She hasn't mentioned an increase/decrease in measurements.

Where did I say it was 7# of 'fat'. Again, I need to ask if you even read the post I quoted last time I addressed you, as it's pretty damn clear I was muddling the idea that this is temporary weight gain via water retention. As far as body fat %, had it checked with calipers, as well as bio-impedance.

I believe I did mention an increase in measurements, either explicitly or in round-about fashion when I stated that my clothes are tighter than they were a month ago.

After it was suggested and explained how to go about it, I looked into having my RMR tested and there is apparently a place that does testing via a BodPod about 45 minutes from here. I'll be going that route if things that I'm currently doing dont turn around in the next few weeks.
    malicious intent behind the OP of this thread

So now, asking for people who are on the same page as me for guidance, and asking people who want to ram their opinions down my throat to please take their unsolicited advice elsewhere so that I may continue my conversation with people who will converse with me on the topic I've asked about, rather than debate assumptions you people are making about me, I have 'malicious intent'? For wanting to talk about people who can relate to the topic at hand? Can you please just go away already? I mean, seriously.... I don't go into threads that clearly don't jive with my line of thinking, only to force feed my viewpoints and cause a ruckus. You think you could maybe do the same?