Revving up slowed metabolism, gaining weight :(

Options

Replies

• excitedaboutfitness
    Options
    Gotcha. I don't know what to tell you then. I went through something fairly similar. I estimated that I was eating around 1700 calories per day, and I was getting in solid workouts 5 days per week. I think I gained like 2 pounds and I didn't know what was going on.

I eventually got over it by picking a calorie number, staying within a 100 calorie range every single day (1500-1600) and not eating back any exercise calories. Since then I have dropped about 13 pounds (I believe it's been 2 months)..

My best advice? Try a month only using MFP, pick like 1500-1600 calories, log EVERYTHING, stick to it every day, don't drink alcohol, and ignore the monitor. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. If you don't get results after that, go to a doctor.
  • excitedaboutfitness
    Options
    If you want to check it out, my diary is unlocked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1074127-confused-about-why-i-m-not-losing-weight-please-help

The above is the thread where I got advice that helped me :-)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Someone had mentioned the eat more to weight less group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

I really think you should head over there if you already haven't. They strongly believe in a reset period, which is maintenance (not sure if you're willing to eat that high or not) for a while, then cutting back to a more reasonable level. There are lots of people with experience, and I believe that the reset period time frame varies drastically from person to person and based on their diet history. They might be able to give better advice on how long it may last, how long the "gains" will be, and possibly how to handle dealing with that (emotionally).
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I really think you should head over there if you already haven't. They strongly believe in a reset period, which is maintenance (not sure if you're willing to eat that high or not) for a while, then cutting back to a more reasonable level. There are lots of people with experience, and I believe that the reset period time frame varies drastically from person to person and based on their diet history. They might be able to give better advice on how long it may last, how long the "gains" will be, and possibly how to handle dealing with that (emotionally).

Great idea!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I got stuck on South Beach Diet as "ridiculous". Lean meats, whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, eat til you're full, and no counting is "ridiculous"?

sorry.

That said, I would suggest spending lots of time with the "in place of a roadmap" crowd. They usually have great information.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Despite the bickering that has been going on in this conversation, I am going to take a risk.

I agree a lot with what Rainbow said, as well as what many others have said, and I think she has especially been unfairly treated. I just don't understand the hostility. Before you say it's because you asked a question that people are not answering, I'm going to say that is no reason to be rude.

Regarding your question about "revving up" metabolism, I'll share my experience: I complained to my trainer years ago about my slow metabolism. I had lost some weight because I was eating around 1,000 calories a day and running, but was still pretty overweight. He said in order to increase my metabolism, I needed to eat more, eat differently, and include weight training with my routine.He took my weight, all kinds of measurements, and used this pinchy thing to measure my BMI. Based on working out three times a week (running and weight lifting), and a goal to lose two pounds a week, he did all these calcs on his computer and came up with a meal plan of between 1,360 and 1,460 calories a day, and he told me to log food and exercise accurately. I kind of freaked out and told him I'd never lose weight eating that many calories, but I did exactly what he told me to do.

At first, after eating such low calories, I did gain a bit back. My trainer said to continue on and to ride it out. I did. Well, guess what, soon I began to lose around two pounds a week. I lost all of my weight and was healthy until about five years ago when I stopped logging and stopped paying attention and began eating foods that were not good for me and eating at a calorie surplus. Now I'm back here doing what my trainer taught me to do all those years ago, except I figured out my goals using the app here because that's what worked for me. So far, I've been successful with the loss of 23 pounds.

Today, with only ten pounds to lose, I have my goals set to lose .5 pounds a week. I work out five days a week at the gym (weights, running) and walk on the weekend. I work really hard to eat more of my exercise calories back and I eat between 1,600 and 1,700 calories a day. I'm not gaining weight, but that is because I've taken the steps to learn how to eat properly and calculate the right calories for my body.

The reason people cannot give you pat answers about how to raise your metabolism is because, outside of the basic truth that we gain weight when we eat more calories than we burn no matter what our metabolism is, everybody's body is different. What works for us may not work for you and vice versa.

I understand you are a tall person and therefore require more calories than someone short and small like me, but I really agree with people who say that your heart monitor (?) might be off in saying how many calories your burn.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Great idea!

I was just coming on here to recommend that group. Thanks!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You again? Really?

Seriously OP, you are the biggest offender here. When you post something, you absolutely canNOT expect certain people not to answer you. If they continue to and you don't want their advice, FFS, PUT THEM ON IGNORE instead of filling your thread up with an endless cat fight. I honestly tried to help you, but given your penchant for bickering, I am going to have to put YOU on ignore. \rant.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    no reason to be rude

No, unwanted/misaligned advice is not a reason to be rude. The assumptions/insistence that I over/under estimate, don't go to the dr, and all the rest of the garbage slung (bon bons and raspberry keytones, really?) at me was my reason for being rude. If you go over the thread, you will see my initial replies were filled with friendly emoticons and polite phrases to portray no hard feelings and appreciation despite disagreeing. I didn't get ugly until provoked. I even apologized at one point, for *defending myself* and getting my hackles up, to *no acknowledgment and further provoking from certain members*. Whatever. I'm over it. If people want to be ugly, that's on them. I've said my peace and choose to ignore further inflammatory responses that don't justify my raise in blood pressure.
    Regarding your question about "revving up" metabolism, I'll share my experience: I complained to my trainer years ago about my slow metabolism. I had lost some weight because I was eating around 1,000 calories a day and running, but was still pretty overweight. He said in order to increase my metabolism, I needed to eat more, eat differently, and include weight training with my routine.He took my weight, all kinds of measurements, and used this pinchy thing to measure my BMI. Based on working out three times a week (running and weight lifting), and a goal to lose two pounds a week, he did all these calcs on his computer and came up with a meal plan of between 1,360 and 1,460 calories a day, and he told me to log food and exercise accurately. I kind of freaked out and told him I'd never lose weight eating that many calories, but I did exactly what he told me to do.

At first, after eating such low calories, I did gain a bit back. My trainer said to continue on and to ride it out. I did. Well, guess what, soon I began to lose around two pounds a week. I lost all of my weight and was healthy until about five years ago when I stopped logging and stopped paying attention and began eating foods that were not good for me and eating at a calorie surplus. Now I'm back here doing what my trainer taught me to do all those years ago, except I figured out my goals using the app here because that's what worked for me. So far, I've been successful with the loss of 23 pounds.

This is actually very helpful, and goes along with the method I'm following and have been insulted for. Like you, VLCD, slowed/'adapted' metabolism, everything checked out with standard blood panel at dr (thyroid, blood sugar). I have every intention to seek out an endocrinologist or something to perform further tests if I don't see progress by the end of this month (which will be 2 months of eating above 800-1200 calories, which I've been doing for months on end).

Like you, I've had my body fat analyzed with the calipers (the pinchy things you mentioned). My trainer recommended 3x/week heavy lifting, 2x/week high intensity cardio, and a meal plan of 40/35/25 1600-1800 calories/day, and like you, I bugged out at this concept. I've also bugged out when after 4 weeks, I continue to 'gain', however, heh....I'm down 4# from Sunday, so like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm guessing the weight 'gain' I experienced since last week (10mile hike, heavy lifting class, 5 mile walks- fast paced, not sauntering around) was likely water retention, and the initial gain at the beginning of the month was most definitely water due to replenishing my glycogen stores.

I intend to stick to my plan as developed by my trainer/nutritionist, and look forward to the results this will get me.

Congrats on your 23# loss, by the way :)
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So are these VLCD's from a long time ago or were you doing them as recently as a few months ago? I understand this is after years of low calorie, but I dont think it will take TOO long for things to even out again.

I used to starve. Honest to God never ate a thing for 10 days at a time for the majority of 2009 and 2010. Once I stopped, I ate hardly a thing and put on 3 stone in 2 months. That sucked. I never logged back then but when I started eating again I was only snacking on a few treats and had a very small lunch, no dinner. So Im guessing I was on about 900 calories. My BMR is 1000. ( im very short )

But after those 2 months things stabilised and I stayed 9 stone for nearly 3 years until I decided to lose it properly this year. I was eating at around 2500 a day or have been for 3 years since and not gained. Thats my personal experience. I was on around 200-500 most days in those 2 years. ( purely coffee ) And thank God it didnt do anything permanent.

Edit to say: Short answer from MY experience? 2 months. xx
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    So are these VLCD's from a long time ago or were you doing them as recently as a few months ago? I understand this is after years of low calorie, but I dont think it will take TOO long for things to even out again.

As recent as steadily for the last 6 months. I've only been eating above 1200 for about 4.5 weeks. Prior to that, it was at least 6 months of anywhere from 500-1200 calories a day, with the exception of days I'd go on very long bike rides (50+ miles), for which I'd obviously eat decently before and after or I'd never be able to complete the ride, LOL!
    I used to starve. Honest to God never ate a thing for 10 days at a time for the majority of 2009 and 2010. Once I stopped, I ate hardly a thing and put on 3 stone in 2 months. That sucked. I never logged back then but when I started eating again I was only snacking on a few treats and had a very small lunch, no dinner. So Im guessing I was on about 900 calories. My BMR is 1000. ( im very short )

But after those 2 months things stabilised and I stayed 9 stone for nearly 3 years until I decided to lose it properly this year. I was eating at around 2500 a day or have been for 3 years since and not gained. Thats my personal experience. I was on around 200-500 most days in those 2 years. ( purely coffee ) And thank God it didnt do anything permanent.

Edit to say: Short answer from MY experience? 2 months. xx

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad you found your path to healthier eating. Thanks again for sharing your story and perspective :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lol... I actually have a thread about this same topic a while back, titled ' not a special snowflake, maybe damaged?'.... where I'm happy to say, people were much more civil and much less ' I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE AN IDIOT'. Silly me for thinking I could find that success on more than one thread.....

So ya, I'm aware I'm not a special snowflake. It'd be cool if people could realize that their answer isn't always the right one, but whatevs...

Aha!

I knew this sounded familiar to me.

Okay, now everyone slow down so I can catch up...

I'm most interested to read how a 2900 daily calorie burn happens with a "slowed metabolism". I manage that amount on days where I run 3+ miles, but only ~2500 on my "normal activity" days...and I'm a 6' 170ish pound fairly lean guy.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad you found your path to healthier eating. Thanks again for sharing your story and perspective :)
    [/quote]

Not a problem. We are all different so you may take one month, you may take 3 months. Your body WILL reward you in time as people tell you here, once you give it sufficient nutrition.

Please just hide the scales. I had to when I went from 1200 - 1600 gradually. It was hellish, but I started dropping again within a week. Different story completely as my metabolism wasn't damaged so my bounce-back was quick.

But hey, your using Fit Bit, your exercising, your logging. Trust the stats and hide the scales. I know how hard it will be, and scary too. But just accept its all about time. Time will heal this. And try not to stress.

Easy to say, but not to do, I know!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    As recent as steadily for the last 6 months. I've only been eating above 1200 for about 4.5 weeks. Prior to that, it was at least 6 months of anywhere from 500-1200 calories a day, with the exception of days I'd go on very long bike rides (50+ miles), for which I'd obviously eat decently before and after or I'd never be able to complete the ride, LOL!

*sigh*

And now all of the dots are connected...with clarification on PAGE SIX.

However, after what I've read in those six pages, I'm personally not willing to spell it out for you. (No worries...I'm sure someone else will. It's what MFP does...answers questions...even the ones that weren't explicitly asked...but are important questions to be answered nonetheless.)

Best of luck to you, OP...

...in figuring out what seems fairly obvious to me...

...and in your future discussions in open internet forums.

:flowerforyou:
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    I'm most interested to read how a 2900 daily calorie burn happens with a "slowed metabolism". I manage that amount on days where I run 3+ miles, but only ~2500 on my "normal activity" days...and I'm a 6' 170ish pound fairly lean guy.

2900 would be on days I'm hitting the road for 5 miles. 2700 would be for days I'm only out there for 3, and all of this includes running around after 2 kids and keeping the house in working order between meetings, regular daily minutia that adds up by the end of the day. So maybe I don't have a 'slowed metabolism' per se, but I've definitely been putting on weight since upping my calories above 1200, which was a cause for concern and my reason for starting this thread.

And the thing is...through conversation, I've learned that perhaps the output from my BodyMedia is a little high, based on 'normal people' with 'normal lean body mass'. How high, I have no idea, what I do know is what I can control. I eat at home and weigh/measure every morsel that goes in my mouth. I consistently (for the last month) eat 1600-1800 calories of lean meats, fresh veggies and fruit, low fat yogurt, you get the idea. You'd think that even if the BodyMedia is overestimating, I'm surely at a decent enough deficit in this calorie range to be losing weight but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Well, my perspective as of yesterday. Today, I'm down 4# from Sunday, so I'm assuming the weight lifting and hike I did last week probably contributed to the big spike on the scale. This gives me a net gain of 3# since I started eating higher calories, which I expect is due to replenished glycogen stores after a lengthy period of eating well below my BMR.

So, long story short, things are turning around and my freak out on the scale as I've seen it climb each day since last week appears to have been for naught. So, yay for that :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm an overweight, 5'11 woman with a desk job that walks 3-5 miles a day. When I don't walk, I only burn around 2300 calories :)
    That's about what I burn on run days.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    How tall are you, Sabine?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    5'6"

I am a bit older than you, probably. But my average day according to fitbit is between 2200 and 2400. I walk or ride to work (about 5miles round trip), and I run 3-5 miles every other day, and walk 45 minutes before work every other day. I do pilates every other day. And I lift a couple of times a week.

My point: If you're burning that much I don't think you have a slow metabolism at all.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    5'6"

I am a bit older than you, probably. But my average day according to fitbit is between 2200 and 2400. I walk or ride to work, and I run every other day, and walk 45 minutes every other day. I do pilates every other day. And lift.

My point: If you're burning that much I don't think you have a slow metabolism at all.

You know, I'm starting to think that might be the case..... I knew there would be an initial gain after increasing calories, especially coming out of a low carb lifestyle.. A lot of my freak out was due to the continued upward trend, especially last week. You'd think as a seasoned cyclist, I'd know that it's entirely possible to retain ungodly amounts of water. Why I saw the spike last week as anything other than that is beyond me. Like I said, today I'm 4# down from Sunday, so....LOL Obviously I didn't burn 4# of fat since then. SMH....always easier to discount water weight loss, but freak out over water weight gain.....

Now, if I can just start seeing a steady downward trend, or at least some looser clothing, I'll be happy. The whole process of losing slowly and properly rather than trying to crash it all off with low carb and eating below BMR is new to me, and not nearly as exciting as dumping off pounds upon pounds quickly.