1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• ashliejones13
    Options
    I'm a 5'2 female. 1200 calories is just fine for me. i obviously eat more when i work out. Thanks for your two cents though.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Anything that eliminates mayo sounds dumb.

LOL! This made me smile, I totally agree. AND lowfat cheese really is the saddest thing in the world.
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not starving, by any means. Different bodies need different amounts to sustain themselves. To say that a 1200 cal diet is starving is irresponsible.
  • mkmitch3
    mkmitch3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Patbee:I have type2 also and am on 1200 calories. Usually eat 1400-1500 and treadmill off 250 to 300. At night I take 22 units of levemir. So far no trouble with blood sugar. Am losing about what I expected 1.8 lbs a week. I have checked my glucose level more often just to monitor it closely. Friend me if you want to talk about it as you go. Good luck to you.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 when you see someone claiming that MFP has them on a 1200 calorie diet, it's because they are already close to being within the healthy weight range and incorrectly put 2 lb per week weight loss as their goal. Only someone who is overweight to the point of being obese (or close to it) can safely and consistently maintain the kind of deficit needed to see that kind of loss.

I am not "claiming" that MFP put me on a 1200 calorie goal... I am stating that it did. I have a 30 pound weight loss goal and for my height and whatever factors MFP took into account, I was suggested a 1200 Calorie/day plan. I love how you just assume people are either lying or they are too stupid to enter the correct data. Well done.

This is true - it doesn't matter what 'weight loss goal' I enter, whether it be 2lbs a week or 0.5lbs a week - MFP gives me 1200 or 1250cals a day. I exercise pretty much every day and I eat back a portion of those calories and aim to hit 1200 NET a day. I don't find myself starving ever and get 3 good meals and snacks for that allowance and am losing a steady 1lb a week. When I started I had 37lbs to lose, I have lost 10.5lbs so far.

Same here! I have changed my activity level, the amount I want to lose, etc. I have 50-60 pounds to lose and MFP always sets my goal at 1200. I adjust to 1400 and eat back some of my exercise calories. It works when I am diligent!

I couldnt get through a workout on 1200.
    I drink a gallon of water a day with no problems!
    I am a suger addict so try to avoid it or I binge on sweets.
    Let's see. What did I miss?
    Oh yes! Love full fat dairy and mayo.
    Pork chops are my FAVE protein followed by steak. Love bratwurst, chicken and turkey too.
    I want to eat clean but.....
    Love my veggies and fruit whole, canned, frozen, home grown. Makes no difference to me
    Lift 3 x a week and should do cardio 2x but that rarely happens (for all the cardio vs lifting arguers :wink: )

OP - welcome to MFP. Hope you stick around to get past the drama. There are some cool people on here who offer great advice when asked (that's the key)
  • vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You meant well buddy.. you meant well.
    This!
  • csab24
    csab24 Posts: 3
    Options
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

No thanks. Glad it works for you though :-)
  • csab24
    csab24 Posts: 3
    Options
    Whoever started this post has no idea what they're talking about. I'm 5'1 and i cannot eat 1800 calories a day for example and lose weight. 1200 calories a day is good for me and i dont feel hungry. Short people can't eat as much as taller people and lose weight at the same rate. Just doesnt work. 1200 calories a day is in no world considered starving.

I think MOST people feel hungry at 1200.

I am 4ft 8, very short. 1200 was hellish for me.

LOL didn't you just post you were on a 1200 calorie day diet and eating chocolate? Doesn't sound hellish to me.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar-

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

I'm sure this was covered somewhere in the thread, but I just don't have the time to read all the replies.
    As a dietitian I would like to say that 1200 calories a day is not starvation. Below that yes, but 1200 calories is perfect for SOME people, not all. As for your recommendations:

>What is your reasoning behind this? There is no medical reason or weight loss reason for it other than hydration. But you can get this from drinking plain water, tea, 100% fruit juice, milk, etc. This is a personal preference.
    >3 meals a day is recommended. Sometimes 5-6 small meals throughout the day is better for people. there is no nutritional difference as long as the calorie intake is the same. Eating less than 3 meals a day is not recommended, we need at least those three to keep balanced. Portions are a huge issue in todays world. did you know what we call a child's plate today is actually a normal sized plate? What we consider normal sized plates were platters 20 years ago. Measuring out and controlling your portion sizes is key for healthy eating, but meals have no difference in 3 meals a day versus 6 meals a day.
    -Drink water, all day long
    >this is good for you. Stay hydrated. Sometimes we think we are hungry when we are thirsty so drinking fluids helps that. But Water is not the only fluid to drink throughout the day.
    >Yes lean proteins are most recommended, however loin and round cuts of beef or pork are lean too. There is lean hamburger out there, and ways to decrease fat in prep and cooking. Lunch meats are FINE to eat. Just in moderation due to sodium levels.
    > Yes eat lots of fresh FRUITS and veggies. If not fresh frozen is next best followed by canned. Canned has almost the same nutrients as frozen, but they usually add sodium. Just rinse your veggie first, then cook it. Steaming you will still lose some nutrients, so of course fresh is always best.
    >Condiments are fine, but we do recommend to go for low fat versions. Olive oil and canola oil are high in unsaturated fats (healthier fats) and good for you. Now there is also avocado oil which is the same. The problem is most people use Olive oil for cooking, however the smoke point is too low for that. You should use olive oil at the tail end of cooking a meal or more for salad dressings. Use canola or avocado oil at the start of cooking-or better yet use a wine, broth, or lemon juice.
    >I semi-agree with this. You do not need to really limit your carbs though. Carbs are our body's fuel. Without them we will not be able to function well. The only time we recommend to limit carbs is if you are Diabetic, and even then we jut give set amounts for meals to follow.
    >Dairy is very good for you. We do recommend the low fat versions always because its not always a healthier fat. Whole milk versus skim or 1%, the only nutritional difference is the fat content.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar
    > natural sugar is EXTREMELY healthy for you. Do not limit your fruit intake on the basis of natural sugars. Please eat fruits and veggies all you want as long as you stay in your caloric goal. Avoid fruit juices. Even 100% fruit juice has some added sugar. If you like juice or want to continue drinking it that's fine, we recommend no more than 4 ounces of juice a day.

Sugar does not cause Diabetes! (just had to through that out there as a type 1 diabetic and dietitian/diabetes educator)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 1200 calories a day, then I find myself in deep trouble after a six pack of Sam Adams, and a few shots of bourbon. What to do?

Pop a multi-vitamin or two and call it a day
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    bacon_zps5bcd5ee8.jpg
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am 4"8 and there is NO WAY I can go over about 1300 a day. I hardly get in 1200. I either don't have the opportunity to eat that much that often, or I just can't. I get full quickly and refuse to keep eating when I am not hungry.

I really dont mean to sound condescending but how does someone who has trouble eating 1300 calories a day end up needing to lose 87 lbs?

Because BEFORE they started needing to lose weight they were eating more. Sorry but one of the great things about eating less is the ability not to over eat anymore. How does ANYONE on here end up needing to lose even 1lb?

How do you know this is the case for her? She specifically mentioned her HEIGHT as the reason why she can't eat over 1300 kcal. Your argument would probably be true if she were further in her journey but judging by her ticker, she's just beginning. She's lost 6 lbs out of 87. So you're saying within that time frame she's gone from eating over maintenance to all of a sudden "NO WAY" being able to eat more than 1300 kcal? Damn, I wish that would happen to me :/

And hell, at least I asked politely. Did you see all the other sarcastic comments that were directed towards people who made similar statements as the one I quoted?

Why not? I know when I started it was hard for me to eat 1000kcal & this was after 20+ years of eating way way more than that. I actually had to force myself to try to eat more...could not do it without feeling sick. On some days I still cant manage it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

>Yes lean proteins are most recommended, however loin and round cuts of beef or pork are lean too. There is lean hamburger out there, and ways to decrease fat in prep and cooking. Lunch meats are FINE to eat. Just in moderation due to sodium levels.

Why would you try to avoid eating fat? I thought we moved past that whole 90s low-fat = good mentality.

And yet lunch meats are fine?

I stopped reading there. I'm sure the rest of it was awesome though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Why would you try to avoid eating fat? I thought we moved past that whole 90s low-fat = good mentality.

And yet lunch meats are fine?

I stopped reading there. I'm sure the rest of it was awesome though.
    That was a tough one for me too.
  • ArticaG
    Options
    Sorry I did not read the whole long thread but wanted to give my opinion anyway.

For me 1200 is not sustainable, I can do it for a bit (and no I am not starving even if it is not easy) but in the long run I now that would not work for me.

If you eat right 1200 calories can offer you a good amount of food but you have to make the right choice all the time and this is the difficult part for me. I want to lose weight and I am but I am not ready to sacrifice everything all the time.

I am currently doing a personal 1200 calories 10 days personal challenge. I had a bad month and put on a few lbs back, I needed to get back on track and therefore I think that a bit of an effort at 1200 is doable.

I admire people who can do 1200 calories for months and lose a lot of weight but I know that for me it just would not work however it is a good weight to kick start things when needed. I normally eat around 1500 and I really feel a huge difference in these 300 extra calories.

Everyone is different and it depends on your current weight I guess, your exercice, your daily activities and like if you are a bit too greedy :)
  • Candyxdrops
    Candyxdrops Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie healthy eating regime but its the doctor that has said i don't need to eat much.Im going against everything i know n learnt when i lost 12stone but I'm doing it because my lifestyle has taken a complete turn.I had a major spinal op that has left me unable to exercise and have put weight back on (not as much as i lost tho) so the doctor told me i only need 1 slice of wholemeal toast for brekkie n fruit for lunch n a smaller dinner :0( at the minute I'm always hungry my tummy grumbles like mad i have no energy headache n tired :0( but I'm only on day 5.Hoping the Doctor is right n things will change tho :0( but at the minute sceptical :0/ problem is because i cant exercise or even move about without pain its extremly frustrating as i wS used to 22hrs a week of gym n classes :0/
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    bacon_zps5bcd5ee8.jpg

I want what he's having ;)
  • hotdamazon
    hotdamazon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a "clean eater" who pays more attention to macronutrient ratios than total calories. I have my own plan which works for me, you have your own plan that works for you. The beauty of lifestyle choices is that they are CHOICES. Everyone here has the right to choose what they think is best for them and what works. You try something and you don't get the results you need, you tweak it. I am a nurse and I have my own opinions of what healthy choices are that are based on science, and I keep up with research that is more current than the conventional plans I disagree with. But I also understand that no one is going to be receptive to what I have to say if I come at them with a bullhorn and tell them they are wrong. I lead by example, not standing at the pulpit.

I just lost 10 lbs in a month, got rid of my brain fog, and doubled my energy levels by following Dave Asprey's "Bulletproof" lifestyle. It works for me because I find it sustainable. I believe in this lifestyle so much that yes, I feel like conventional medicine and the standard food pyramid has it wrong in so many ways. But it's also not my place to shove it down everyone's throats that isn't ready to make that kind of change. Just sayin'.
  • hippichickiniki
    Options
    Exactly! We are not all the same size and weight and all of our bodies have different caloric needs to start. Someone who isn't very big is going to have much smaller caloric needs even before they start trying to lose. Don't compare yourself and your needs. Some people might start out eating only 1400 even before they start to try to lose or get fit because that's all they need. Don't judge based on what your body uses. Someone a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier will obviously need a vastly different amount of calories than someone 5' 1" and 100 pounds. Instead of judging their calorie goal compared to yours, focus on your own body's needs and what is healthy for your body.