Why are you fat?

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat. Technically, if you go by BMI calculators, I've never even been "overweight". Right now I'm in the middle of the "healthy" BMI range. But I want to be a little closer to the one-quarter mark of the healthy BMI range, the halfway mark isn't good enough. I got toward the top of the healthy range through undisciplined eating. That's what I'm trying to fix now. So far so good! :drinker:
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    about 7 years ago, I was broken up with and got into world of warcraft... I didn't notice ... Now I'm running a ton and am into rock climbing. I still love video games but physical stuff is so much more addictive to me now.

WoW and rock climbing? You sound awesome :)
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I blame my mother. She was depressed, she didn't cope well with stress. She used food to sooth all her pains and worries and taught my sister and I to do the same. After my parents divorce we all gained a huge amount of weight. Fitness was never encouraged or discussed.

As an adult I just thought losing weight was too hard and would take too long. I never really tried.

Ok, so I can't use the mom excuse forever, but the habits I learned as a kid and maintained as an adult have been hard to conquer.
  • smmoler
    smmoler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm fat....... well to be totally honest, because I was lazy, made bad habits and didn't care.

Much better now that I've been doing this since may. Forced me to become disciplined and structured; which is exactly what I needed.
  • basil1975
    basil1975 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stressful job and stressful marriage added 10-15lbs in one year, then took a new job in a new city, left my husband, moved with my two children to become a single working mom. Mcdonald's became a good friend and gave me another 15-20lbs in two years. Currently, I am as heavy as I was when I was pregnant, and am having a very hard time breaking the fast food habit.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No longer, but I became a fat fcker soon after a tendon tear and fracture in my ankle. I didn't over-eat during this time, but rather, I over-consumed. I sat around all day for months and did nothing but read and drink cans of Coke,...sadly, about 12-15 cans every day.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Because I am a stay at home mom who is bored outta her mind and food was a go too entertainment. I am ready to make a change though especially because I begin nursing school in January! I want to be healthy while representing healthcare.
  • eminenima
    Options
    Went from being a smoker with a job where I would walk never less than 5 km per day in rough terrain to being a non smoker who worked in a bank job. LOL I porked up 40 kilos in one year. I'm now losing faster than I gained it, funnily enough, but I let it stay on me way too long. Got Sleep Apnea, Adult onset Diabetes. All sorts of unexpected side effects from being a fit smoker to a ... well ... fat non smoker.

Now I am more than a third of my way back to my fit weight of 95 kg or thereabouts.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have always been a big eater, was overweight in middle school and high school. College came around and combine drinking with all you can eat dining halls that actually had delicious food and bam I gained the freshman 15x2. Just kept adding on the weight up until February when I realized what I was doing to myself. Thank goodness I finally snapped out of it!
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd who likes to eat while gaming/reading/watching movies/TV.

I blame the media. lol. Just kidding.

I found some new hobbies to accompany the old ones, like running.
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was always a thin kid, teen and young adult. But I think that most of that came from the fact that I exercised a lot: swimming, hiking, biking, sailing, etc. When I got out of school, I took a desk job but I still managed to exercise 4-5 days a week. When I married someone that is gone 6 months a year and had a baby that all changed. I still ate the same but did not have time to exercise -- the weight came on fast. Now, I have managed to eat less (yay!) and lost about 15# but the scale has stopped moving and without exercise, I doubt that it will. My mom just told me that when you are working mother, you should just accept that you will be fat ( this is from a woman who lost about 40# when she retired and finally had time to exercise). It really depressed me because I think that she might be right :-(
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. I don't. You just have to create a calorie deficit.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat. Not at my weight.

I WAS fat, very fat.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. I don't. You just have to create a calorie deficit.

But it does help to be FIT. Plus it does speed thing up if you exercise, tones stuff up & makes you just healthier all over. No point in being a flabby skinny person who can't lift a box of tissues without getting hurt.
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My excuse is because my grandma and my mom are fat! Fat is in my family blood...I love food!
  • Silent1980
    Options
    be cause I eat too much when I am stressed. Well that is why I was fat. If you control your intake when you are sad...miracles happen!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For fun!
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    lack of self discipline, became self soothing vs. hard working*
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and one that eats out of boredom. I eat because it makes me feel good. I do not like how I look, how I feel, and I feel I am unworthy....Food does not judge..it fills a void even if only temporarily. Throw being mostly inactive and bored on top of that....I see the result every day in the mirror. But...I'm working on changing that.