TOO CHUBBY FOR MY TWENTIES (OCTOBER CHALLENGE!)!

Options

Replies

• stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Small request - If your name isn't clear from your handle, could you post it here? I like to know people's names - helps me remember their specific stories and makes things a little more personal.

I definitely meant to introduce myself on this challenge, but I never got around to it. I'll try now.

I'm Meredith, I'm a college senior living in Delaware. Just moved off campus into an apartment over the summer, and loving it! It's great to be able to buy food and cook for myself - which is making it a lot easier to log my meals on this site (you just never know what they put in the dining hall food). I lost a lot of weight right before I started high school - but have been at a size 10/12 plateau ever since. And I am more determined than ever to finish off those last few pounds (especially since my jeans are wearing out and I really need new ones, and would LOVE to buy them in a smaller size :bigsmile: ).

My goal weight is 150 (I'm 5' 5 1/2") and I'm not really sure what I'll look like once I reach it, so it may be just a mile maker for me( I picked it because it's comfortably within my the average BMI range for my height). I'm mainly using this site to keep me accountable to my own body during the semester. I'm super active on campus, and a perfectionist student, so I tend to make my health my last priority. I've been doing well this semester in keeping with that goal - not as well as I'd like to, but I'm definitely starting to see a change in my habits already (less likely to blow of the gym or order a pizza for dinner). I'm pretty open - so feel free to ask me anything if you have the mind to!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Aly - You have been working SO hard, don't let this pesky pound get you down! I don't doubt you'll bounce back and surprise yourself on the scale next week. Just stay on track and most of all, give yourself a break :) You should be super proud of your accomplishments!

Nice to meet you ladies (Liz, Aly, and Meredith)! And as Aly said, Go Team October! :happy:
  • 0cassandra0
    Options
    my goal is from now until november 21... i want to weigh 125 on that day!!!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Aly - You have been working SO hard, don't let this pesky pound get you down! I don't doubt you'll bounce back and surprise yourself on the scale next week. Just stay on track and most of all, give yourself a break :) You should be super proud of your accomplishments!

Nice to meet you ladies (Liz, Aly, and Meredith)! And as Aly said, Go Team October! :happy:

Thank you so much. I don't have the will power that you do for food. I am also trying to give myself a break because I do workout hard and I do look better than I have in a very long time. It is hard being so close but so far away. I think this is a good chance to tell my story.

*~*~Story Time*~*
    I have always been over weight since I was a kid. I was chubby for most of my adolescence; right when I got interested in sports I broke my knee cap (at age 11). I actually lost weight a bit during that time because it was hard to move around and get food, so my mom brought most of it to me. When my knee healed I tried to get back into sports but it was to painful. I then proceeded to lead a very gluttonous life of drinking and eating lots of food. (bad family life) I started taking diet pills around age 15 or 16 and got down to about 155lbs, I thought I was happy but I was pretty much on legal speed. I didn't eat much at all. I then gained weight throughout high school and of course it went from bad to worse when college hit. I have always had a weakness for sweets and greasy food mix that with alcohol and it is a cocktail from hell. When I graduated from college I decided I was going to do something about my weight, I started doing calorie counting and working out more. I started running and did my first 5K! I also lost close to 30lbs. I then got into a triathlon with Team in Training this summer. It was great with the team, but also lots of food parties. Working out for 3 hours straight made me feel like I could eat anything. I tried to track and count during training but gave up and felt it was too hard. I have gained about 7lbs since training for the triathlon. I am not getting huge or anything and I know most of it is muscle but I still want to lose the fat around it. I want to feel super confident in a Bikini when I go to Hawaii in April for the Lavaman Triathlon. So here I am, training for a half marathon (for fun?) and fighting this weight loss battle. I am happy to have a support system and Please add me as a friend if you want support too!
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    hey aly...it's good that you realize you've put on some weight & don't want to go back to where you were...i've lost & gained back everything 2-3 times but never been able to maintain...am determined to maintain the weight that i'm in the process of losing this time...hope i can do that :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Heh... I certainly never in my life thought anyone would applaud me for my willpower with food! I've been overweight forever and a total foodie my whole life - Now I just obsess over the healthy stuff, I guess. I'm still completely obsessed with it though! Can't get enough :P Thanks, Aly!

Today was alright. Was under my calorie goal because of exercise (2 mile jog + 30 mins circuit train) - Worked 10pm-3am at the night club. Fun fun. Brought healthy snacks to have while everyone else gorged on street vendor food. It always makes me feel a sense of pride and responsibility when I do that :) I know that I am doing something good for my body and every day that I do, I feel better about where I'm at physically and mentally/emotionally with food, exercise and general health. One of my coworkers said he was impressed with my running and dedication and that he could never run as far as I do - it's still amazing to hear these things because 1 year ago I was in the same position. I couldn't run at all, let alone 5 or 10k. I'd also never think to bring fruit + dry cereal to a bar :happy: How things change. It makes me really happy about my progress. I know these are changes that will stick with me for years and years.

I'm always so inspired to read all of your posts. This 20-somethings challenge is such a wonderful network for me. It's so motivating to see everyone else "doing it" and knowing that you'll all succeed on your own terms :bigsmile: I'm so proud of all of you! It's leaving me with a smile before I head off to bed, that's for sure. Not every day is going to be a raging success, but in the end the good days will outnumber the bad and we'll all look and feel fabulous!

Go Team October! :heart:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I've decided to give myself two week challenges, hoping that these challenges manifest into habits. I started by doing the Wii Fit every morning for two weeks. Though I couldn't do it this morning (so much studying this weekend) it definitely is a part of my routine now!

My next challenge is to increase the amount of healthy fats I eat and decrease the sodium. Hopefully this two week challenge will change my routines with food for the better!
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing sooooo well! I am really happy that I found such a great network of people who all support each other no matter what! And I don't even have to go through the embarrassment of standing on a scales in front of a room full of people=]

My weekly Friday update brings good news=] I lost another pesky 4 pounds! Although I didn't mention it on here, in my head I have been thinking that my goal of being under 200lbs was slightly ambitious so I set myself the less impressive goal of making sure I lose a stone (14 lbs) by Halloween! and I am so happy that I only have one pound to go before that little goal is achieved!

I have 2 Friday weigh ins left this October and only 9 lbs left until I hit that 200 mark! Maybe if I workout extra hard it could be done!!

Even if it can't I am just glad that my first stone is nearly gone and I won't ever be lugging those 14lbs around again!

And even if I don't reach my goal for this October challenge this thread has not been a waste of time! I've met some incredible people who are doing incredible things that are inspiring me to work hard so that I can jump on the success story bandwagon=]

I realise that I haven't actually properly introduce myself yet!
    I'm Emily and I am losing the weight so that I can be healthy, sexy, and so that the skinny girl who has always been inside can finally come out and take her place in the spotlight!
    I've been overweight since I was about 10 and although in school I had loads of friends and everyone liked me, I wanted to be more than just the fat, funny one! I still have loads of friends but this has become more than just losing weight so that I fit in! This has become the scary reality that if I kept eating like I was I would probably end up with all sorts of health problems which would leave me housebound which would make it even harder to lose the weight!
    I knew how fat I was getting but sometimes it takes a kick in the butt to do something about it! I went home about 5 weeks ago to visit my grandparents and my Nan sat me down and told me how worried she was about my weight! That made me get my *kitten* into gear! If someone else had noticed how bad I was getting and actually showed concern then I had to do something about my weight! The next week I joined MFP and the rest, as they say, is history=]

I have an amazing boyfriend who loves me exactly the way I am, but he understands that me losing this weight doesn't change who I am. It just changes the way I feel about myself!

I love you guys for giving me the motivation to carry on even in those tough patches were all you want is a big slice of chocolate cake! When those cravings take over I log in here and start reading how great you are all doing and I know I can't let you, or myself, down!

Have a healthy, happy weekend my lovelies!
  • kattungen
    Options
    Hey, can anyone just join here? :)
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey, can anyone just join here? :)

Never too late kattungen!! We still have 2 weeks left of October so just post your goal and keep checking in with updates=]

Welcome=]
  • kattungen
    Options
    Thanks!

My goal is to loose 1,5 kg (3,3 lbs) by November 1st :D
  • meagalayne
    Options
    My weekly Friday update brings good news=] I lost another pesky 4 pounds! Although I didn't mention it on here, in my head I have been thinking that my goal of being under 200lbs was slightly ambitious so I set myself the less impressive goal of making sure I lose a stone (14 lbs) by Halloween! and I am so happy that I only have one pound to go before that little goal is achieved!

I have 2 Friday weigh ins left this October and only 9 lbs left until I hit that 200 mark! Maybe if I workout extra hard it could be done!!

Even if it can't I am just glad that my first stone is nearly gone and I won't ever be lugging those 14lbs around again!

WOW!!! :noway: 4 more lbs! You're a freaking machine Emmy!!! That's incredible. 1 stone in less than a month already. You should be so proud of yourself :drinker: You are just as much motivation as anyone else in this thread - so keep up the good work and keep posting :bigsmile:
  • ME02134
    ME02134 Posts: 26
    Options
    I just joined this website and I am loving all of the positive motivation! I have never thought of myself as overweight. I weigh about 148 and i'm 5'6 but I definitely have some extra lbs I need to get rid of and I'm finally committing to getting rid of them. My ideal weight is 130 (the last time I weighed that was when I was a freshman in college 5 years ago) but if I reach 135 I will be happy with that as well. I am a workout fanatic so I think my main focus needs to be on food choices. Mon-Fri I choose between running 4 miles, ab workouts, and bicep/tricep exercises with 10 lb weights or hot yogalates which is quats, lunges, push ups, abs, butt work with combined yoga poses in a 90 degree work out room-- I probably need to work on changing up my workouts. The yogalates routine changes weekly but my running routine has been consistent since I was about 16 with different ab workouts. Everytime I try something else I don't feel as good as I do when I run so I just can't give it up. I have started keeping track of my calories this week so by the end of October I am hoping to be down to 144. I have 15 more days so it will be about 2 lbs/week which a big commitment for me but I now have motivation!!

Good luck to everyone! It has been so motivating to read all of the struggles and success stories we can all relate too!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Ok all-

My weigh in isn't until tomorrow but I just need to let go of some stress before then.

#1) I have been doing SO well this week. I sometimes do a mid week weigh in just to make sure I'm not getting off track (and also to keep my expectations for Sat. realistic) and I was down between 165-166 (from 167-168). It was a great motivation for me this week to keep up with my workouts and even come in under my calorie goals when we went to Chipotle this week.

2) TOM is setting in and I'm a little anxious about weigh in tomorrow. I know in my head thats just one, temporary factor but I just have felt so ON lately that I really really don't want to feel bad tomorrow.

OK in writing this out, the entire fear seems a little silly, but I'm gonna put it out into the ether, cuz I think just having it be out of my head is making me feel better.

Talk to you all tomorrow.
    ~Meggon
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    meggon-you have been doing great with your calorie goals and exercise this week!! you will do fab tomorrow!! good luck:)
  • tjradd73
    Options
    k i don't see my name on the list ever so i thought i would recopy and repaste it and add my original goal to the bottom again :)

miss_amy: To reach a 25lb total loss. - 7.4lbs away from goal! :)
    meagalayne: To reach 135lbs (maybe a bit ambitious), complete my 10k race, and be able to do 10 (!!) push-ups -- 2lbs down, 3lbs to go!
    H_82: To lose at least 10 lbs
    KristyF08: 12lbs away from goal weight!!!
    meggonkgonk: Reach 165lbs, run in 1st 5K race
    cshaffer213: Reach a total of 20 lbs weight loss (@ 8lbs today)
    aprildauer: To lose 10lbs.
    MTDork87: To complete the 30 Day Shred and get to 130 (7 lbs away)
    inskydiamonds: start going to the gym at least once a week
    sophieg77: to lose 3ks! (7lbs i think)
    Luckie712: To lose at least 10 pounds and stick with Slim in 6
    BioQueen: To be down to 165 by the end of October
    Allie7383: To begin and stick with the TurboFire schedule for Oct (and beyond), and get into the 160's (about 5lbs to go!)
    TheNewStacie: Get all 5 cardio days in every week, Lose at least 5 lbs
    Leela30: Lose those stubborn 10 lbs
    Tabika05: To fit into my sexy jeans by Christmas!
    Jmmtaylor- To lose at least 8 pounds!! (will be 15 total so far)
    TheKitsune6- To lose at least 15 pounds
    Lauratx22- To lose 10 pounds..-2lbs...-2lbs ...-1.5 lbs gone 4.5 more to go now!
    efmalcolm- Lose 10 pounds this first month!
    runner915- To be down to 163 by Halloween and to run the Halloween 5k in 26:00
    AshleyLEldred: To lose an additional 10 lbs. Be down below the 270 range. I also want to hit the gym a minimum of 4 times per week.
    clothes_of_sand- lose 7 pounds (to put me down at 140 even) and be ready to move to level 3 of the 30 day shred.
    ashleighk2010- To lose 10lbs (a total of 20 in two months) and be around 155. And CLIMB A MOUNTAIN. =]
    orange_avocado- Lose 5lbs and burn 1350 calories each week.
    lblocker23- to reach my goal weight of 128 lbs by December 25th
    emmyworthy- By the end of October I want to be under 200lbs!!!! -Oct 8-another 2lbs gone,13 to go!
    ameliafellenz- my goal is to lose 8 pounds this month
    coatadaycarrie- To get down to 145 by Halloween
    muzikenergy - 10lbs by Halloween, gym at least 4 days a week!
    spellbinder25 - Lose 8 lbs by end of October, exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy (= avoid desserts)!
    iwannaheartlife - Lose 10lbs by Halloween and exercise 5 days a week!!! Good Luck!!!
    kgprncss01- 10lbs by halloween sounds awesome! I would love to get one of those cute costumes!
    Steph_135 - Reach 180 lbs by Halloween!
    happy_jax - To lose the 0.8kg I put on while on holiday and once more reach my goal weight. Develop a 'New lifestyle!'
    foxygrl441- to get under 200
    abbracadabra - to lose 10lbs by the end of October and be under 200lbs
    Uconncoed- to lose 10 pounds - making my weight 162
    Lostalykat- To lose 5lbs- And make it to the AM gym class
    CoryIda - 30-45 minutes of cardio 5x/week
    lulu_beans - 10 pounds :)
    stuartme123 - To lose 5lbs - and to work out at least 3 times a week
    tjradd73-to lose 10lbs :)

so I have 6lbs to go on we have 16 days left!!!! keep going everyone and good luck!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    sounds like everyone is having a great month so far! yesterday i went to my allergist and actually looked forward to being weighed lol, even though i had jeans on. I'm def down from where I started at the beginning of the month, though not as much as i'd like to be. i left there feeling so great b/c i talked about losing weight with my doc and she said i looked great, and the nurse who gives me my allergy shots said the same thing. i was almost blushing lol...i went to a hockey game that night and we had the awesome seats where you get free buffet, and yeahhhh, i ate more than i'd like to admit.. i'm just glad i got a long workout in earlier that day so i don't feel too too terrible about it. weigh-in is monday, and shortly after that it will be the dreaded TOM. hope everyone has a good weekend!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    miss_amy: To reach a 25lb total loss. - 7.4lbs away from goal! :)
    meagalayne: To reach 135lbs (maybe a bit ambitious), complete my 10k race, and be able to do 10 (!!) push-ups -- 2lbs down, 3lbs to go!
    H_82: To lose at least 10 lbs
    KristyF08: 12lbs away from goal weight!!!
    meggonkgonk: Reach 165lbs, run in 1st 5K race
    UPDATEDas of 10/16: 165 reached !! And 3.2 miles away from Weekly Mileage goal (Run planned for tonight)

Allie7383: To begin and stick with the TurboFire schedule for Oct (and beyond), and get into the 160's (about 5lbs to go!)
    Lauratx22- To lose 10 pounds..-2lbs...-2lbs ...-1.5 lbs gone 4.5 more to go now!
    AshleyLEldred: To lose an additional 10 lbs. Be down below the 270 range. I also want to hit the gym a minimum of 4 times per week.
    clothes_of_sand- lose 7 pounds (to put me down at 140 even) and be ready to move to level 3 of the 30 day shred.
    ashleighk2010- To lose 10lbs (a total of 20 in two months) and be around 155. And CLIMB A MOUNTAIN. =]
    emmyworthy- By the end of October I want to be under 200lbs!!!! -Oct 8-another 2lbs gone,13 to go!
    spellbinder25 - Lose 8 lbs by end of October, exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy (= avoid desserts)!
    iwannaheartlife - Lose 10lbs by Halloween and exercise 5 days a week!!! Good Luck!!!
    kgprncss01- 10lbs by halloween sounds awesome! I would love to get one of those cute costumes!
    happy_jax - To lose the 0.8kg I put on while on holiday and once more reach my goal weight. Develop a 'New lifestyle!'
    tjradd73-to lose 10lbs :)
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    well done meggon!! must be such a nice feeling when you reach your goal before time...so happy for you :)
  • tjradd73
    Options
    first off... GREAT JOB to everyone!!!

tjradd73-to lose 10lbs :) 6lbs down!

everyone keep it up!!! 15 days to go!!