diet sadness

Options
Does it ever make you SAD that you can't eat whatever you want??? Like tonight - I made banana bread and had one slice - and I'm SO SAD because I just want to eat the entire thing!!! I won't because I'm working on changing those bad habits...but it makes me sad. It makes me sad that I can't wolf down a handful of Reeses PB cups like I used to every Halloween. I miss being able to eat some of these things! Don't get me wrong - I don't miss the pounds and I am feeling better (physically and mentally) but I do really miss eating crap and it makes me sad sometimes. Maybe it's just me. lol

Replies

• Ilovehersheys
    Ilovehersheys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way! haha I always see Starbucks or In N Out and i'm like why :( haha but I guess it'll be worth it in the end when we're happier with our bodies!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. When I started losing weight, I was so ecstatic that what I was doing was working that I didn't miss the junk food at all. Fitting into small clothes is so much more satisfying than that extra piece of pizza.

If you have a piece of banana bread and are still truly hungry, have an apple or a piece of fruit.

Put the remainder of the banana bread away. Five minutes later, you may not even remember it.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Erm...no. I know exactly what you mean. I don't make things like banana bread anymore because of that. It would just make me sad. It's really almost funny, but not.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It makes me happy that I CAN eat what I want. And when I do the right thing by sticking to a reasonable sized portion, it makes me happy AND proud.

We went out for breakfast yesterday, and I ordered an omelette, as it listed how many eggs were used, and all the ingredients, so I could track what I was eating. It showed up on a thick piece of beautifully buttered white toast. I ate half the toast, and left the other half with no regrets.

I do get what you're saying, but after so many failed diet attempts which restricted everything fun, I'm happy to be doing things the better way.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I think of it this way - I have something to look forward to tomorrow (another slice of banana bread) whereas if I ate the whole thing, there wouldn't be anymore. (:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, in the quantities that fit in my macros and overall goals. It doesn't make me sad to only have a reasonably portion of something - if I want more, there is always tomorrow and a new chance to make it fit. It's never the last whatever in the world.
  • roflskates
    roflskates Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how you feel since I've cut out a lot of junk foods in my diet too.
    All snacks now have to be planned to fit into my daily calorie allowance which eliminates them most days. :(
  • vlland
    vlland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes - I feel that way often and sometimes give in and feel worse afterwards. Its hard if u have family members around that can eat anything. I don't want anything tempting in the house but that's not exactly fair to my teenage son. I went grocery shopping today and felt depressed. I used to feel good to have a full fridge and cupboard of food choices. Now I stick to the same low calorie foods since im picky and there aren't a lot of healthy foods I really like. So 200$ later and I have the same salad I always eat and lots of yummy food for my son and boyfriend. :( It's true tho - "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" so I just keep trying and recommitting each day.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I eat just about anything I want but I'm very careful about portion control. Have you ever heard of the principle of Diminishing Returns? It's an concept used in Economics and it applies to eating, too. The first bite of anything gooey and caloric is the best. Savor it. Enjoy it. The second bite is good, too. Is the taste of the last candy bar in the bag that good? No, you've gotten a bit numb to it because you've had so many and have gone through them so quickly you didn't have time to enjoy them.

So, enjoy the small portions of what you like- REALLY enjoy them- and then back away from the rest of it.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am not sad :), I can eat whatever I want still. I may have to make it myself, but I still enjoy my own pizza, desserts and whatever I feel like. As long as its in my macros. I honestly eat like a horse still and never feel hungry which is a FIRST in life lol

Added: Also when you have other things around you that is tempting, what I do is look at the ingredients and nutrition information and it stops me in my tracks. I mean for a 3 small little chocolate doughnuts its 260 calories! I mean that is ridiculous. That's what has made my own journey so easy. Also I can't have Lactose and Gluten so that would stop me as well lol
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    But if we did eat the entire loaf, that would make us even more sad!

I think with time I've learned to enjoy the quality of food, but without needing to consume large quantities to do so. And that is tremendously empowering.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. It seems like the people saying they can eat whatever they want aren't understanding that you WANT more banana bread, so you aren't able to eat all you want. It's one thing to eat whatever you want and another to get to eat it in the portion that you want. If I my husband is eating a lot of something while I enjoy my little portion that fits in my calories, it can be pretty sad to eat mine sooooo sloooowly to "savor" it, so I don't finish a ton sooner than him and feel completely jealous!
  • ashcooks88
    Options
    I can completely relate. Like others said though, being about to enjoy "treats" in limited portions makes it that much more special and I've learned I'd rather be comfortable with where I'm at then eat the entire banana bread and feel physically and emotionally terrible later.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You just miss the sweet memories that these foods make you remember.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    But if we did eat the entire loaf, that would make us even more sad!

I think with time I've learned to enjoy the quality of food, but without needing to consume large quantities to do so. And that is tremendously empowering.
    ^^This^^
    I don't want to focus on what I don't have; I focus on what I do have now -- a trim, normal-size body that works better, feels better and looks better.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. It seems like the people saying they can eat whatever they want aren't understanding that you WANT more banana bread, so you aren't able to eat all you want. It's one thing to eat whatever you want and another to get to eat it in the portion that you want. If I my husband is eating a lot of something while I enjoy my little portion that fits in my calories, it can be pretty sad to eat mine sooooo sloooowly to "savor" it, so I don't finish a ton sooner than him and feel completely jealous!

Oh, I totally get the WANTING to eat more of whatever yummy thing you are having, but I also know that hitting my macros makes me feel so much better than any amount of whatever food does. I know that when I hit my macros, I perform better. So I'd rather have a smaller amount of chocolate/cupcakes/etc that I can fit in everyday, than one huge amount in one day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It makes me more sad to think that eating a whole loaf of banana bread would make someone happy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Does it ever make you SAD that you can't eat whatever you want??? Like tonight - I made banana bread and had one slice - and I'm SO SAD because I just want to eat the entire thing!!! I won't because I'm working on changing those bad habits...but it makes me sad. It makes me sad that I can't wolf down a handful of Reeses PB cups like I used to every Halloween. I miss being able to eat some of these things! Don't get me wrong - I don't miss the pounds and I am feeling better (physically and mentally) but I do really miss eating crap and it makes me sad sometimes. Maybe it's just me. lol
    No, because I CAN eat whatever I want. However, if I choose to not eat in moderation, I pay the consequences.

Then again, we might be talking about the same thing because you had one slide of that wonderful delicious banana bread. :smile:
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Oh boy does it ever! That's the main reason I kept screwing up over and over again ever since march. Because although I can eat what I want in moderation, sometimes I just want to eat until I'm stuffed. I really miss that. That thanksgiving feeling of "I can't eat another bite" and undoing your pants because you're just about to explode. Ahhhh man...those were the days.

Especially with unhealthy food. I can go to Costco and eat a hot dog and drink a diet coke, but I'm not gonna be full. That's the frustrating part. Have what I want and be hungry or eat healthier and be full. That's the big question right there.

That's why cheat days can be good for some people. Eat whatever the hell you want til you're stuffed and get back to calorie counting. I personally can't do cheat days anymore because it would throw me so far off track I would have a hard time finding my way back on the wagon.

Basically...yes I feel sad! Although I can eat what I want, I miss eating til I'm stuffed! I just have to remind myself how good it'll feel to finally be thin
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't know why u would feel sad, you had a slice n that's enough. I don't get sad because a serving size is all I need I don't need the whole cake. My mom bought me a juniors cheesecake after her trip to NewYork. I love cheesecake but I still didn't get the urge to eat the whole cake in one day I had 4 slices during the week and gave the rest away. A taste is all I need because I want to lose this weight more than anything.