Shockingly bad foods

Replies

• You are SO right! I loved the salads at a local restaurant until I looked up the calorie count, even without all the "extras" on it, it was still over 600 calories, just for a salad! YIKES!!
  • Kale chips aren't too bad, but you have to bake them with olive oil and sea salt, so those two things might kill the nutritional value of it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I had the shrimp tacos at Chilis. Figured, its shrimp and lettuce... not much to it. Yeah... more like 1300 calories to it. I would have been better off getting the steak fajitas!

Exact same thing happened to me. I was honestly really shocked because when I go to a chain restaurant (which is not often) I'm pretty darn good about ordering low cal and knowing what to expect without having to pre-log. That one blew me away, especially since I make the same thing (better tasting!) at home for around 500 cal.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    It's already been posted but it deserves to be mentioned again. CHEESECAKE. Sure it's delicious but varieties can go for 500-1000 calories a slice. I think it's the most calorie dense food on the planet.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    My dear and beloved Doners!!!!! I had myself convinced that hey, it's just a tortilla filled with roasted meat and veggies!!! Heck, one thing in the MFP database said one was about 600 cals. I figured that was totally worth it, they are huge! Yeah, after looking around the google world, there is no hard and fast set calories, but they can range anywhere from 1000 to OVER 2000!!! Yeah, and eating just part of one, isn't an option to me ;). Soooo, they went from a once weekly splurge, to a once a month splurge!!!

Except that it's not " just a tortilla ". A standard size corn tortilla has around 50 calories and the flour version has about 100. The flat bread for Doner has at least 300 calories ( but often more ) since it's much bigger and thicker. I make Doner with corn tortillas at home and use Greek yogurt as sauce and they get quite acceptable. But the original.....no matter how delicious, uses up most of my daily calories eating just one.......sighhhhhh.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Things that have surprised me is a 6Foot Subway, 450 Calories, when most of it, is just vegetables

Microwaved Potato, 250 Calories, shocked since that should be chassified as fruit//veggs

And just 1 slice of bread!
  • 1 cup of broccoli cheddar - 480 calories, 700 mg sodium. Small burrito wrap NOT Filled - 150 calories. also could cry about plain naan. stopped going to chain restaurants years ago.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Virtually everything yummy at starbucks has a wack of sugar and hundreds and hundreds of liquid calories.

Yes!

Starbucks is just horrible. And someone, for all those calories, the food still manages to suck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Double cream, well that's just absurd even if you have almost none at all. Cereal - it's branded as 'healthy' - well I was fooled for years. Carrot cake - it's based on a VEGETABLE for goodness' sake!

Yes to all of them. And what's with cereal companies having heaping bowls of the stuff in the their ads, but microscopic portion sizes on the nutritional label? False advertising! :laugh:
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    A few...

I knew that full calorie sodas were high calorie, but the first time I started logging food, I was shocked to realize I was consuming well over 800 calories a day in soda...(I was quite the addict. 0-o)

Coffee creamer. I always made a big cup of coffee, and poured the creamer in. 1Tbsp has 30 calories. To make mine taste like I wanted, I wanted 10Tbsp....300 cals for coffee!! Yikes.

As others have said...cereal. Not high calorie, per se..but the portions are tiny for what you get.

And nuts. Reeeeeallly have to weigh those before I eat them.

And fast food salads...even without dressing, some of those have more cals than a sandwich.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    marie callenders large pot pies serving size is half the pot pie 380 calories. whole pie 760 calories. big suprise to me.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    First of all, so jealous that you went to disney, I love that place so much.
    I think you're ok for that day though, the amount of walking you do there helps so much-I spent a week there before I watched what I ate, and still didn't gain any weight.
    Foods that surprised me have been lattes, coffee creamer and salad dressing. Though I have given none of these up, I just eat them in smaller portions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I don't consider any food bad but I was surprised at the Jalapeno firecracker poppers at On the Border. Just one was 350 calories and I thought I was doing well by only eating two. Oh well, lesson learned. Research before mastication.
    Seriously? How many comes in an order?

Six. 1950 calories for all of them.

To be fair, they were awesomely delicious.
    If I ate an order that would be my days calories! (and probably a crap ton of carbs and saturated fat). WOW!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Peanut butter and bacon sandwich? Still on MY diet:

Trader Joe's low carb/cal bread toasted, PB2, two slices Kirkland Bacon = 185 happy calories
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Gotta watch that yogurt, too!!! They tout "low calorie" and/or "no fat" but most of them have a very high sugar content.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    theres no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly.

^^^THIS^^^^
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Salad dressing.

For how much I could use to make my salad taste like anything more than rabbit food, I may as well eat a couple slices of bacon or a few cookies and call it a day.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member

Well.....wait........you're right.

Both of you have obviously never seen or heard of souse...
  • people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

I'm sure I sound stupid, but I really don't understand. Is it the chicken in the salad that's bad? What is it that makes a fast food salad so terrible?

According to the database, a southwestern grilled chicken salad with dressing is 390 cals and 14 g fat. A mcdouble alone is 390 cals and 19 g fat. So, you're saying that an entire meal, which includes vegetables, is the same as a single burger?

Generally, it's the dressing.
    The chicken is not usually cooked in a healthy way either but it's the dressing that's high in sugar and fat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    That "no such thing as bad food" is a terrible cliché. Honestly I understand the sentiment but look at something like Pot Noodle. It's devoid of anything like nutrition and what about the OP's 600 calorie pizza slice. I fail to see a single situation where that would be anything but 'bad food'. It's crazy high calories and even someone that needed a lot of calories like an athlete or competition weight lifter wouldn't want the mass of saturated fat.

There is NO SUCH THING as a food that is "devoid of nutrition." If it contains no nutrients at all, then clearly it isn't food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Cashews. 320 calories in 1/4 cup. :cry:

Cashews are awesome. They are very nutrient dense!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    The thing I used to eat, years before I knew the NI, was Pizzeria Uno's cheese & tomato deep dish personal pizza. It's actually 3 servings at 580 calories each. I'd have to budget that badboy in now. This is the Numero Uno, but same size for reference.

numeroUno.jpg

ETA that I still go to Uno's, and I love that they have a computer with everything on the menu listed with the NI.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Hollandaise sauce.... with 2 poached eggs on bread .... about 1000 calorie breakfast.... I ate nothing for lunch and very little for dinner. The next time i went to the same restaurant I made sure I didn't order that again.... it was amazingly delicious so hopefully next time I can share 1 of the eggs and eat only 500 ....
  • xoeva
    Cashews. 320 calories in 1/4 cup. :cry:

Cashews are awesome. They are very nutrient dense!
    Try pistachoes instead.... 3-4 calories each...weird. I know, more work and not as yummy but still a nut!
  • xoeva
    Gotta watch that yogurt, too!!! They tout "low calorie" and/or "no fat" but most of them have a very high sugar content.
    Try Greek yogurt, lots of protein about 100 calories a serving (3/4 cup) and add real vanilla... taste great
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Wendy's salads! Almost 800 Calories!!!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member

Well.....wait........you're right.

Both of you have obviously never seen or heard of souse...

Ew.
  • woolnimals
    woolnimals Posts: 10 Member
    Peanut butter and bacon sandwich? Still on MY diet:

Trader Joe's low carb/cal bread toasted, PB2, two slices Kirkland Bacon = 185 happy calories

Okay - this sounds fabulous!!!!! Thank you...I'm going to have to do this. I just figured I was done with those for a while.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Wraps. One of these silly thin thingies is around 200kcals. Without filling.

Look for Flat Out brand wraps. 9 g protein, 9 g fiber, only 90 calories.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member

Fried Butter