EVERYONE IS NOT HAPPY FOR ME

Options

Replies

• vtotheicky
    vtotheicky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Shabrick, there's a notable difference in the after pic and you look fab! Ignore your so called friend, he/she is ill-mannered and mean spirited. I agree with wildob3- be your own best friend :)
  • chardawn187key
    chardawn187key Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! There is a difference! Some peoples kids tho!! Ur co worker needs some manners.
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ok. Honest opinion here.

You look beautiful before AND after. Like I think you're a super beautiful lady - and I commend you on a job well done!!

But honestly, one of my personal pet peeves is when people (in weight loss ads, TV, MFP, anywhere) have a before photo where they are clearly not looking their absolute best. No makeup, maybe not the cutest hairstyle or outfit they own...stuff like that...and then the after photo is of them at their best, with perfect hair/makeup and so on.

I do understand that for a lot of people it just has more impact that way. That is why advertisers tend to go that route. And I get it that sometimes if a person has gained a lot of weight they may not be at their best mentally/emotionally and therefore dress less carefully etc. Then when they lose weight and confidence builds, some people are more likely to take more pride in their style and their appearance in general.

BUT...I love it when people show before/after that has them the "same way" heavier & thinner. Whether natural and casual, or dolled up. To me personally it just has more impact that way and the change seems even more obvious.
    Thank you for your compliment. I do not understand what difference make up makes...it cant make you thinner or thicker. And my intention was not to show a horrible picture to make the other look any better....with or without make up if you thinner you do, if you dont you dont.... I didnt even purposely take these pictures to compare....i take a hell of a lot of pictures of myself even before ever trying to lose weight so this really doesnt apply to everyone
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There's an obvious difference- your face and neck look much thinner in the first picture. You look great!
    Maybe your friend is so use to seeing you that she hasn't noticed the gradual change?
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that it is fishing for compliments when it comes to asking if there is a difference seen. I know for me, if I do that, I'm simply confirming that it isn't just my own eyes! haha

And congrats on the loss and keep going and working hard, focus on how it feels and keep working towards feeling better.

Also, there is a difference, and in a few months you'll see a bigger difference.
    ;D
    A lot of people respond poorly to obvious fishing for compliments.

Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • shabrick00
    Options
    you do look prettier and healthier and such but the before picture wasn't the nicest of before pictures in the first place.

because

after:
    makeup
    better lighting
    better angle
    hair done
    (amongst being healthier and thinner looking)

Before:
    Make-upless
    Poor lighting
    The dreadful under chin angle (flatters no one)
    Hair just average
    (without the lustre of healthier skin and hair and such)

So i would say I'm happy for you and your loss but also that when comparing two pictures it's best to have them both have as close to the same circumstances as possible. If you are looking your best at the time in the before, you should in the after. If you are looking laid back and average in the before, you should do the same for the after. with the same angles of course. It just makes it easier to actually compare your differences (and successes) between the two rather than just the differences between the pictures... if you understand?

(coming from someone who took photography courses and knows that there are lighting, angles and tricks one can do (or accidentally do) to make themselves look better or worse in a picture.)
    that is understandable however I did not take these pics to compare. as i mentioned before I always take pictures of myself...now being at a specific angle i understand make up or not if you are thinner you are if you are not you are not....and thats just my opinion....my comparison pictures will not be of my face it will be of my body
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I second this totally! =)
    you do look prettier and healthier and such but the before picture wasn't the nicest of before pictures in the first place.

because

after:
    makeup
    better lighting
    better angle
    hair done

Before:
    Make-upless
    Poor lighting
    Hair just average

So i would say I'm happy for you and your loss but also that when comparing two pictures it's best to have them both have as close to the same circumstances as possible. If you are looking your best at the time in the before, you should in the after. If you are looking laid back and average in the before, you should do the same for the after. with the same angles of course. It just makes it easier to actually compare your differences (and successes) between the two rather than just the differences between the pictures... if you understand?

(coming from someone who took photography courses and knows that there are lighting, angles and tricks one can do (or accidentally do) to make themselves look better or worse in a picture.)
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I can absolutely see a difference! Your friend may not want to see it (sometimes people see what they want to see). It happens, I hate to say. But please don't dwell on her. You look so beautiful! You should be proud of yourself. Keep going! :happy:
  • shabrick00
    Options
    So this is my second encounter with a friend/co-worker trying to put a damper on my success...I shared this pic with a co worker and I asked did she notice a difference she said "yes but i think its because of the way you were positioned". I was blown away by her comment...Tell me what you think.
    [img]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab286/shabrick00/mfp pics/d9d7c8c8-2a57-4005-9204-81ed897cab4f_zpse8b4fa10.jpg[/img]

I can see a definite difference in your face! You look great! Congrats!
    thank you!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Ok. Honest opinion here.

You look beautiful before AND after. Like I think you're a super beautiful lady - and I commend you on a job well done!!

But honestly, one of my personal pet peeves is when people (in weight loss ads, TV, MFP, anywhere) have a before photo where they are clearly not looking their absolute best. No makeup, maybe not the cutest hairstyle or outfit they own...stuff like that...and then the after photo is of them at their best, with perfect hair/makeup and so on.

I do understand that for a lot of people it just has more impact that way. That is why advertisers tend to go that route. And I get it that sometimes if a person has gained a lot of weight they may not be at their best mentally/emotionally and therefore dress less carefully etc. Then when they lose weight and confidence builds, some people are more likely to take more pride in their style and their appearance in general.

BUT...I love it when people show before/after that has them the "same way" heavier & thinner. Whether natural and casual, or dolled up. To me personally it just has more impact that way and the change seems even more obvious.
    Thank you for your compliment. I do not understand what difference make up makes...it cant make you thinner or thicker. And my intention was not to show a horrible picture to make the other look any better....with or without make up if you thinner you do, if you dont you dont.... I didnt even purposely take these pictures to compare....i take a hell of a lot of pictures of myself even before ever trying to lose weight so this really doesnt apply to everyone

Makeup done a certain way can definitely make your face look thinner (contouring and shading). Having said that you definitely can tell that you've lost weight. I will agree though that when you are taking photos for the purpose of comparison it does help to keep them as similar as possible to each other. It makes it much easier to spot actual changes as opposed to changes that are just optical illusions.
  • karolinacorrea
    karolinacorrea Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You look so pretty in the first pic! Not only is the shape of your face, but your skin. Girl, you are glowing!
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you look great and there is an obvious difference! Some people just don't know how to be happy for others because they can't be happy for themselves!
  • shabrick00
    Options
    Ok. Honest opinion here.

Makeup done a certain way can definitely make your face look thinner (contouring and shading). Having said that you definitely can tell that you've lost weight. I will agree though that when you are taking photos for the purpose of comparison it does help to keep them as similar as possible to each other. It makes it much easier to spot actual changes as opposed to changes that are just optical illusions.
    Oh ok, because i dont contour or shade I have very little foundation and that is it....AND i dont have any make up on my neck...smh
  • shabrick00
    Options
    You look so pretty in the first pic! Not only is the shape of your face, but your skin. Girl, you are glowing!
    Thanks so much
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Your face is definitely thinner. Congrats and keep up the good work!
  • shabrick00
    Options
    I think you look great and there is an obvious difference! Some people just don't know how to be happy for others because they can't be happy for themselves!
    Thank you! And you are right....I think the make up thing is just insane....the is the most basic makeup application ever and i obviously dont have any on my neck where I see the biggest difference...Its crazy
  • shabrick00
    Options
    Your face is definitely thinner. Congrats and keep up the good work!
    thank you
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options

because

after:
    makeup
    better lighting
    better angle
    hair done

Before:
    Make-upless
    Poor lighting
    Hair just average

that is understandable however I did not take these pics to compare. as i mentioned before I always take pictures of myself...now being at a specific angle i understand make up or not if you are thinner you are if you are not you are not....and thats just my opinion....my comparison pictures will not be of my face it will be of my body
    No i wouldn't think that you did but you can't really be upset at your friend for reacting how she did because by technicality, those pictures are not the right ones to compare to eachother, but you did ask her to compare them in the first place knowing such. For makeup, it also does wonders. There are many many many tutorials to make a face look slimmer. It also makes you look younger and happier, that's just what makeup is for right? Like i said though, if you just picked two pictures at the same angle it would be easier to see if there was loss to your face and to see how much. Then that would be further noticeable when both pictures are on the same level (i.e. makeup or makeup-less, hair done or not, even hair up or down changes how a face looks)

Can't wait to see the body pics though! Keep going and just try not to take your friends opinion so hard, i'm sure they didn't mean it to be mean and it's just a trick of the eye kind of thing. I didn't show my weight loss until i lost 40lbs. You are doing wonderful, keep going! :)
  • Pete0725
    Pete0725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Shabrick,

i can see a difference. Don't let the negativity get to you. Stick with the plan because you are not doing this for her, you are doing this for yourself.

FYI: All successes, big or small, should be applauded.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Big difference, definitely.

I am probably one of those people who would say I saw a difference even if I didn't just so the person wouldn't feel bad, but in your case, there is definitely a difference! Nice work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!