Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love walking too...it's a great form of exercise! Just thought I'd share that in a forum where others like walking!:love:
  • mouseyhoney
    Options
    we had legs before we had bikes or cars...or treadmills....
    it's how we get around naturally

get yourself a dog and walk....walk.....walk......walk

love it !
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel my brother doesn't think walking is exercise. In the last 13.5 months I have lost over 64 lbs. I used to be the biggest in my house and now I'm the smallest.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that those who thumb their noses at walking probably don't have the patience for it - to them it's a waste of time for a puny couple-hundred-calories burn. They'd rather go hard to lose weight/get fit faster...but how many can sustain that pace long-term?

Speaking from experience (having had jobs for 25 yrs on my feet, walking, all day everyday).....they may also walk a lot anyway and see walking as normal as washing dishes....and not realize that there are people who don't do a lot of walking.

(Also...I'm going to have to google that walking plan that the OP is talking about. I may have to check out a walking plan that raises the HR to 150 or higher. Wow!)

Definitely doable. There is a big difference between "walking, all day everyday" and walking fast, with good form, and purpose.

The speed and distance that I walk gets my HR up to similar levels that high impact aerobics do, except I can sustain it much longer. It's awesome. I am drenched in sweat by the end of all my walks.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I walk roughly 6 miles every night. I still run on my treadmill in the morning every day, but i still love that cold brisk walk at night.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I'm a walker and LOVE IT! I was a runner when I lived in Kansas a couple of years ago but since moving to Colorado (6500ft elevation) the air is so thin and I just haven't managed to become that runner that I once was but I'm not sad about it. Walking doesn't bug my knees as much as running does. I used to be a back catcher for my high school softball team and my knees have never been the same. According to my bodymedia armband I burn a good amount of calories on my hour long walks (350-400 calories).
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I go for nice long brisk walks pretty much every day and love it. according to MFP, I burned 694 calories during my 2hr walks. I walk at a pretty fast pace and along the way I do 3 sets of push ups, sit ups and pull ups. On my days off from work I'll do it again in the evening..
  • LuvLosing
    Options
    My mom and her cousin took a walking vacation in England and just loved it, I think they were in their late 50s when they went. I try to walk each day for 2-3 short stretches (10 min.) --- since I sit at my desk most of the day.

recently I discovered Jillian's Body Revolution program ---- which is definitely NOT a walking program! You will feel muscles you never knew you had...:smile:

To find out more about this program --- go to transformmybody.org
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am a walker, I use my Fifbit Flex wristband to make sure I get in 10,000 steps a day.
  • teresa77447
    Options
    The way I look at is if you love and its what keeps you moving then do it! Why try to run if you hate it and know you won't keep at it.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Walking is great! :smile:
  • candrusiak
    candrusiak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm down 90 lbs since January through tracking what I eat and walking 5 km 4-5 times a week.

If you find something you enjoy and that works for you, who cares what other people say or think?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I do a 10K every single day to pick up my daughter at school. Her school is 3.1 miles away from home by my GPS pedometer, so there and back is 10K. Usually, I walk there and walk/run back while pushing a jogging stroller. I just picked it back up in the past 3 weeks.

I lost most of my 60 pound weight loss by walking at least 15,000 steps a day. I think right now, I'm sitting around 17,000 steps a day, sometimes more.

I just really like to walk.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This bum was made for walking, by walking.

37322274_8051.jpg
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Walking IS good exercise. But folks want to excuse the condition of their body, if all you have to do is walk to get in shape that is one BIG excuse down the drain. Then there are some that say to TRULY get in shape you need to work all the muscle groups, but for many of us walking is the best option.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm down 90 lbs since January through tracking what I eat and walking 5 km 4-5 times a week.

Now that's more like it! Well done.

Walking 15 minutes a day isn't going to accomplish anything at all for weight loss, unless it's a stepping stone to much greater distances. But if you control your intake, and walk long distances everyday, you will burn the fat off, because the great thing about walking is the per-minute burn is low enough that you can supply most of the needs from fat stores.

But it takes a time commitment...it can't be done in "15 minutes a day".
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I walk because it is free. There were no treadmills, Gyms, racetracks or theme parks in prehistoric times

SO WALKING WAS THE THING.

Running was the thing you did to avoid getting eaten.

not strictly true. Humans (and bipedal ancestors like australopithecines) can't run fast enough to outrun the kind of predators that ate them. Early prehistoric humans, australopithecines, etc would more likely have relied on group co-operation and crude weapons (e.g. stones and pointy sticks) to chase off predators, rather than trying to outrun them.

it's thought that early humans used both walking and running to hunt, using the persistence hunting method, where you track and chase an animal for hours, tracking it down repeatedly and never letting it rest, until it drops dead from exhaustion or it's exhausted enough that you can kill it with sticks and stones (later palaeolithic humans would have used more sophisticated weapons). Humans are much slower at running than other mammals, but humans also have way more endurance and better heat control (sparse body hair, sweating over the whole body) than other mammals, so can run for hours, while other mammals sprint fast but get exhausted and overheated quickly. We're built for long distance running and walking, with occasional sprinting here and there.

Regarding which is the best exercise, running and walking are both good and people should do the one they enjoy the most so they'll stick with it long term. Personally I hate running but really enjoy walking and don't care if the calorie burns and intensity are lower. I'm not into self-torture so I'm going to stick to exercise that I enjoy. And I can see why if someone doesn't like walking much, it's going to feel totally pointless *for them* to choose walking as an exercise as they can get the same benefit in a shorter time with a more intense exercise. It's a matter of what works for the individual.

Yep they were not outrunning predators.
    http://youtu.be/826HMLoiE_o
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Walking and stationary biking are my main exercises since I need low-impact exercises. I've gradually increased the inline on the treadmill to increase resistance, works great.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're doing awesome! You're getting out there and at least walking, let alone doing so at a level which makes for a pretty intense level (going by your heart rate). I have no idea/experience with Sansone, so I can't comment on that part. I will say you're putting in the effort and enjoying it is something in which you should be applauded for, not lauded.

So............. Keep up the awesome efforts!