Shockingly bad foods

Options

Replies

• WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Whenever my food's bad I put it in a time out chair for awhile. I used to spank my food when it was bad, which is why I'm banned from Denny's for life.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I could cry at the calories in my favourite garlic and corriander nann bread. I still have it, but probably just a couple of times a month and not 2-3 times a week. I can get so much other food for the same amount of calories, but I won't cut it out all together.

Any time someone mentions nann bread...I have to post:

nananananana.png
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Whenever my food's bad I put it in a time out chair for awhile. I used to spank my food when it was bad, which is why I'm banned from Denny's for life.

Funny, when I first saw your name, I thought it said "spankster". Carry on. :drinker:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    bad??? theres not such thing as "bad" food, in my eyes... I EAT IT ALL
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I believe Costco pizza is about 700 calories per slice. It doesn't surprise me that much, because the cheese on it is about half an inch thick. So yummy though!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Raisin Bran destroyed my sugar level for 2 days...
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Chip Cookies.... WHO KNEW???

Oh, Wait...
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    For me it's the sodium levels that shock me. Due to high bp, I have to watch my number. I have a bad habit of sprinkling a little salt on most everything. I can easily max 5000 miligrams just putting 1/4 tsp on this veggie, that veggie, over a salad, in guacamole, on tomato wedges, etc. Just a sprinkle on that stuff adds up quickly. I can't imagine how much sodium I was eating when I ate processed foods like TV dinners that already had sodium and I added a sprinkle more.

I'm the same with sodium. I keep a pretty close eye on it as I even feel that America's Daily Recommended Allowance is too high. I try to get closer to the Canadian standards of 1500-2000 mg a day. What shocked me the most was how much sodium was in CELERY STICKS! I used to eat a ton of those things and never really paid attention. Of course, those are better than eating at some fast food places ounce-for-ounce, but I am certainly more mindful of celery.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    -Trail mix! I was surprised to find that a serving is only 3 tablespoons. Most people I see eating it consume like 5 times that amount.
    -White Rice. I once ate over 600 calories in rice for dinner. I had no idea it was so calorie dense.
    -Corned Beef Hash. I'll probably never eat it again unless I'm splurging.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    -Trail mix! I was surprised to find that a serving is only 3 tablespoons. Most people I see eating it consume like 5 times that amount.
    -White Rice. I once ate over 600 calories in rice for dinner. I had no idea it was so calorie dense.
    -Corned Beef Hash. I'll probably never eat it again unless I'm splurging.

Amen. Trail mix is high in cals. And when I go camping/backpacking (where I know I'm going to need a lot of calories to replace what I'm burning), I'll make my own, high-calorie trailmix that has all the usual stuff but includes Candy Corn, extra Cashews, Peanut Butter M&Ms, etc. :)
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

Just grilled chicken, with lite dressing isn't bad, but you're right. A cobb salad at Mcdonald's is more calories than a big mac!!!

The new crispy chicken cobb salad at ChickFilA is 430 calories w/o dressing, the avocado lime ranch dressing they suggest to go with it is 310.. that's 740 cals for a salad!!!! Yikes!! Thankfully they will let you swap out the crispy chicken for grilled, then get the light italian dressing (25 cals), then your salad is 355. So I usually get the grilled chicken nuggets, a fruit cup & water, 250 all together and its filling.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at the calorie count of most everything at Applebees. Wow, I've been there once since I started actively tracking 9 months ago and was taken by surprise at how high in calories they were.

Have you tried their under 500 cal menu? Those items are tasty and filling. I get the steak & shrimp w/steamed veggies & taters. The amount is small compared to one of their regular menu items. But you dont need more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

Discovered strawberries are way better and actually have some fiber as well.

pineapple has fibre in....

Yeah, but pineapple's percentage of sugar that is fructose is more than double that of strawberries, and it has more total sugar as well. Berries in general are much better for you than pineapples.

Pineapple is much better for you if you like the taste of it better than berries. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cashews. 320 calories in 1/4 cup. :cry:

Cashews are awesome. They are very nutrient dense!
    Try pistachoes instead.... 3-4 calories each...weird. I know, more work and not as yummy but still a nut!

Ewww Ick!

Those are nasty. I like cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, but pistachios are absolutely disgusting. (Talk about bad food. hahaha)

Stop the food shaming! Look how much fun pistachios are! So they have bad taste in music, but still. Yum!

tumblr_mhodv6MaIf1qa37hco2_250.gif

That gif is reason enough to avoid them. :laugh:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

Just grilled chicken, with lite dressing isn't bad, but you're right. A cobb salad at Mcdonald's is more calories than a big mac!!!

The new crispy chicken cobb salad at ChickFilA is 430 calories w/o dressing, the avocado lime ranch dressing they suggest to go with it is 310.. that's 740 cals for a salad!!!! Yikes!! Thankfully they will let you swap out the crispy chicken for grilled, then get the light italian dressing (25 cals), then your salad is 355. So I usually get the grilled chicken nuggets, a fruit cup & water, 250 all together and its filling.

im addicted to the chick fil a charbroiled sandwich on honey wheat bun... only 310 calories, AND ITS FREAKING HIGE, AND FREAKIN GOOD!!!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney this weekend and after a day of walking around the kids wanted pizza for dinner. Having 2 boys we eat Pizza once a week so I know a slice of pepperoni pizza is in the 300 calorie range depending on what large corporate delivery place we order from and I always work it into my calorie count. There was an UNO pizza close by and there is not one where I live so we headed off to dinner. Burning a ton of calories walking the park all day I calculated in my head that I could splurge and eat 3 slices and be fine. When I got home and fired up MFP to put in my calories I was shocked to find out that each slice was...

OVER 600 CALORIES!!!!

Well I blew my calorie count that day and learned to check foods that are close but unfamiliar to me calorie wise. Went on a nice long run the next day to try and get back on track.

What foods have surprised you with their calorie count?

600 isn't even a lot, those are big slices
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

Yeah, but pineapple's percentage of sugar that is fructose is more than double that of strawberries, and it has more total sugar as well. Berries in general are much better for you than pineapples.

Pineapple is much better for you if you like the taste of it better than berries. :wink:

So glad someone said it.
  • hpheath
    hpheath Posts: 41 Member
    Options

In many cases the salad is actually more ...

The salad is still going to be a healthier choice than the burger. At least you getting nutrition from the vegetables.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options

In addition it has potassium, vitamin a, calcium, iron, vitamin b-6 and magnesium
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

In many cases the salad is actually more ...

The salad is still going to be a healthier choice than the burger. At least you getting nutrition from the vegetables.

Um....you get plenty of nutrition from a hamburger. Add cheese and you have all 4 food groups.