Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Because people like to find insult where none was intended and tackle that "issue" instead doing anything productive.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

If you want something bad enough you have to and eventually will work for it. :wink:

if you want something bad enough, you wont look for the loophole that allows you to skip the hard part. and you wont be like Sry Am Busy.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

PS-know nothing about this woman or what challenges she faces.
    I agree with this - if you get to workout for a living - then this could be you. If you are a SAHM with a gym with daycare- this could be you. If you work full-time have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a husband - THIS IS NOT YOU. I don't know anyone who looks like this under those circumstances. But I get better everyday. I don't hate her - maybe I wish I had her time though...
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Yeah... Going to the park and actually playing with your child on the playground instead of playing on your phone on a park bench (which is one of the ways she stays in shape) is totally unrealistic and unreasonable. Mmmhmmm.

going to the park and playing with your kids for half an hour isn't going to get you a body like hers. the contribution that that aspect of her day makes to her overall fitness is not even significant, unless she's doing pull ups on the monkey bars and jumping jacks while her kids play for about an hour.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Only thing I can see is if she has the ability to dedicate more time to fitness such as she works in the fitness industry or is a SAHM. That of course makes scheduling easier. If someone wants something bad enough of course he/she will make it happen, but it's difficult and unfair to compare your life to another's if you have certain advantages others may not.

I agree with this - if you get to workout for a living - then this could be you. If you are a SAHM with a gym with daycare- this could be you. If you work full-time have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a husband - THIS IS NOT YOU. I don't know anyone who looks like this under those circumstances. But I get better everyday. I don't hate her - maybe I wish I had her time though...

NO.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

this was my reaction as well. Good for her and all, and I get that it's probably an ad for her work as a personal trainer or something, but plenty of mothers just don't have the time to hit the gym as much as she does to get that body, especially not right after having a baby. Priorities are not an excuse, they are a completely valid reason for most mothers to not have that body.

maybe read what she said, first.....

ETA: I'm a working mom and am able to make time for an hour a day for 3-5 days to workout, too. Its not time consuming. But, it is, however, beneficial to teach our kids to be active and live healthy lifestyles.

^^^^^^^^THIS!! I agree it is doable to make time in the day for physical activity and beneficial to children, by leading as an example.

Playing with your children is a great form of exercise and much better than playing on your phone. Also, showing your children that it is important to take some time out of the day to workout, teaches them it is an important part of a persons day. You are not being selfish for taking sometime out of your day for yourself. Also, teaching your children healthy food choices, will go a long way. We are role models to our children and they see what we say and do. Keep making excuses and you may find your child doing the same thing. Do you really want that for your child?
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think this is only offensive to two kinds of people: those who are insecure about their appearance, and other moms who work just as hard as her, but do not have the same results.

In both cases, she cannot be faulted for their animosity. Insecurity is a personal issue that only the person him/herself can resolve.
    Who are these women who are not insecure about their appearance? On what planet do they reside - I don't imagine they are on MFP though.
    I do agree with the working as hard and not achieving the same results - age, genetics and a whole bunch of other factors play out in results...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

NO.

The woman raises her kids (no nanny) and runs 2 businesses. yeah...she definitely has so much free time *rolls eyes*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

We've identified your excuse!

This woman does not work out for a living. Her husband is disabled. She owns two (non-fitness-related) businesses. She spends about one hour working out, 5 times a week.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

if you can make time for soap operas or chatting on the phone with friends on logging into facebook or browsing even one forum on MFP - you have time to be the healthiest version of yourself possible.

truth.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I know how busy my mom was with three kids of similar ages, and she made time to go for a run for an hour every day. She is practically a vegetarian and eats 95% clean and healthy.
    She has NEVER looked like the woman in the photo.

Saying, "what's your excuse" is an absurd and confrontational choice of words. It implies far more than if it said, "If I can do it, so can you" or something else that is inspirational without being pushy or braggy.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I think this is only offensive to two kinds of people: those who are insecure about their appearance, and other moms who work just as hard as her, but do not have the same results.

In both cases, she cannot be faulted for their animosity. Insecurity is a personal issue that only the person him/herself can resolve.
    Who are these women who are not insecure about their appearance? On what planet do they reside - I don't imagine they are on MFP though.
    I do agree with the working as hard and not achieving the same results - age, genetics and a whole bunch of other factors play out in results...

for your first question:

raises hand

for your second question:

what?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Strong excuse

Btw, she does work
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

if you can make time for soap operas or chatting on the phone with friends on logging into facebook or browsing even one forum on MFP - you have time to be the healthiest version of yourself possible.

truth.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I know how busy my mom was with three kids of similar ages, and she made time to go for a run for an hour every day. She is practically a vegetarian and eats 95% clean and healthy.

That's because:

1) She spent her hour running and not doing any strength training, which is not conducive to a toned appearance with muscle definition and low body fat

2) She didn't control her diet enough.

Your mom lacked the exercise routine and dietary control to look like the woman in the OP. She clearly had the time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

truth.

Saying, "what's your excuse" is an absurd and confrontational choice of words. It implies far more than if it said, "If I can do it, so can you" or something else that is inspirational without being pushy or braggy.

To point out - Maria Kang includes strength training (not just cardio) which is great for body composition. Also, the "lean/ripped" look is more dependent on a lower body fat %.
  • yoovie
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

truth.

personal perspective. i see it as mad uplifting and totally spot on
  • whierd
    Options

no one has time.

we all MAKE it.

truth.

Not enough protein and strength training was your moms issue
  • whierd
    Options
    Maybe she should have captioned it, "You can't do this."

or

"U mad?"
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Since we keep going back and forth, what exactly does she do? There are multiple sources with scores of information.

As for time, she sets her own schedule.

Does it really matter ?
    I know several people who have a lot of free time. They say they don't, but have time to watch just about anything popular on TV...... not to mention the hours they spend on the cell phone. They are all quite overweight, because they " have no time " to exercise.
    If something is important people tend to make the time. And for many people shopping and cooking healthy and exercising just is not as important as Conan, Honey Boo Boo or the Duck Dynasty or other shows on TV. I think it is really as easy as that.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

She is not telling you to look like her. How she looks was part of her goals, in regards to fitness and a healthy lifestyle. She is pushing you to look at yourself and your excuses, to help you in achieving your goals. The inference to her child is used because many people use that as an excuse as to not finding the time to workout.

Of course I will never look like her, my body is genetically different. However, I am healthier and more fit then I was yesterday.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Totally false. The biggest problem is that people think it takes a lot of time to look like this. They want to believe this because to accept that it can be done with a few hours per week of being active and managing calories takes away their excuses.