Wearing makeup to the gym

Options

Replies

• 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym right after I drop my kids off at school. I see lots of early 20's girls there with all of the latest workout clothing and a face full of makeup. I don't get it. We are there to work and sweat our butts off, not to find a date for that night. I think some just have their priorities wrong, but maybe I am wrong because I hardly ever wear makeup. I am an all natural person when it comes to makeup.

This may come as a surprise to you, but there is a huge difference in priorities between you a mother of three kids and a 20 something at the gym who is kidless she might be trying to meet a fit good looking male at the gym while your focused on getting fit to keep up with your kids :) or whatever your reasons are.

^^Exactly! When I was in my 20s, going to the gym, where all the hot, buff guys were, No Way would I walk in there looking like I had been lying in bed with the flu for a week!
    Now, eh, who cares. I go to the store with no makeup and hair in a banana clip half the time. lol My days of impressing anyone else but my hubby are over.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THIS IS WHAT I WAS GOING FOR!! My pregnancy hormones get myself in trouble and in the worst possible manner which is NOT how I mean it.

Sorry...I'm having trouble getting from your original response of people who wear make up are fake and can't stand to look at themselves without it back to a nicely worded "to each their own" response.

As others have said though...I understand you have a free pass punchcard because of your pregnancy.

ETA: And i wear make up at the gym because darnit I like to feel pretty

I wish I got a free pass when I was pregnant. My husband refused to tolerate my hormones, and I had to learn to control them in public. The only one who got to hear any of my hormonal responses were my close girl friends. Even my mother-in-law got butt-hurt if I got hormonal in front of her because she thought I was taking personal offense to her. :grumble:
  • BurningAway
    Options
    I go to the gym right after I drop my kids off at school. I see lots of early 20's girls there with all of the latest workout clothing and a face full of makeup. I don't get it. We are there to work and sweat our butts off, not to find a date for that night. I think some just have their priorities wrong, but maybe I am wrong because I hardly ever wear makeup. I am an all natural person when it comes to makeup.

This may come as a surprise to you, but there is a huge difference in priorities between you a mother of three kids and a 20 something at the gym who is kidless she might be trying to meet a fit good looking male at the gym while your focused on getting fit to keep up with your kids :) or whatever your reasons are.

^^Exactly! When I was in my 20s, going to the gym, where all the hot, buff guys were, No Way would I walk in there looking like I had been lying in bed with the flu for a week!
    Now, eh, who cares. I go to the store with no makeup and hair in a banana clip half the time. lol My days of impressing anyone else but my hubby are over.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THIS IS WHAT I WAS GOING FOR!! My pregnancy hormones get myself in trouble and in the worst possible manner which is NOT how I mean it.

Sorry...I'm having trouble getting from your original response of people who wear make up are fake and can't stand to look at themselves without it back to a nicely worded "to each their own" response.

As others have said though...I understand you have a free pass punchcard because of your pregnancy.

ETA: And i wear make up at the gym because darnit I like to feel pretty

I wish I got a free pass when I was pregnant. My husband refused to tolerate my hormones, and I had to learn to control them in public. The only one who got to hear any of my hormonal responses were my close girl friends. Even my mother-in-law got butt-hurt if I got hormonal in front of her because she thought I was taking personal offense to her. :grumble:

There was NO controling my hormones lol i started out pregnant with twins and my mouth was ridiculous! Especially when i started nesting OHMYGOODNESS! I would scream and yell that the apartment was too small and that i needed to have more room for the baby (i lost the 2nd at 9 weeks). My doctor looked at my babys daddy and told hom straight up "listen shes going to say alot of things she doesnt mean...ALOT of things." I also had terrible morning sickness, terrible sinus headaches, nose bleeds, i couldnt even say the word spaghetti without vommiting, couldnt smell garlic without vommiting, rainy days made me sick, the smell of perfume made me sick, couldnt sleep as my baby was breech and in my ribs ALWAYS! My appendix almost burst at 15 weeks so i had an appendectomy and then had to heal from that whilst my tummy was growing for baby i could go on for days...
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Who cares, let em do what they want.
  • Kiwigirlkim
    Options
    Hi,

I use to go to fernwood and there was a lady that use to do the 9:30 class of body pump, she was about in her mid 40's she had a full face of makeup. She looked like one of those dolls.

I couldn't concentrate when she was in the room with us, I just kept staring just wonder why, what, huh, who? What's happening!

She freaked me out!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I don't mean after work, or on your lunch break.... I work out at about 9-10 am

Not everyone works 9-5 jobs.... Maybe they just left work. Or they were out running errands before they came to the gym.

Maybe if you were more focused on your workout, the things other people do wouldn't bother you so much. I don't give a damn what other people at the gym look like. I'm not there to people watch.

My boss (along with a few co-workers) attend my gym- I like to look presentable when I see them, which is quite often on weekends. Even if I am covered in sweat under a barbell loaded up with weight.

Also, most people go to the gym to feel good about themselves, which means it's more than likely they care about their appearance. Why should actually getting up and GOING to the gym be any different? Just because they're there to work out doesn't mean that they have to look like a sloppy troll that just climbed out of a sewer. Some people have standards when it comes to presenting themselves in public.

Simply put: People have their reasons. Stick to your workout and go home when finished.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Eh, my gym is right across the street from work so I usually go with a full face on (I work in cosmetics) and so do the other girls at my job. It doesn't stop me from sweating any less. :p
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't mean after work, or on your lunch break.... I work out at about 9-10 am

Not everyone works 9-5 jobs.... Maybe they just left work. Or they were out running errands before they came to the gym.

Maybe if you were more focused on your workout, the things other people do wouldn't bother you so much. I don't give a damn what other people at the gym look like. I'm not there to people watch.

My boss (along with a few co-workers) attend my gym- I like to look presentable when I see them, which is quite often on weekends. Even if I am covered in sweat under a barbell loaded up with weight.

Also, most people go to the gym to feel good about themselves, which means it's more than likely they care about their appearance. Why should actually getting up and GOING to the gym be any different? Just because they're there to work out doesn't mean that they have to look like a sloppy troll that just climbed out of a sewer. Some people have standards when it comes to presenting themselves in public.

Simply put: People have their reasons. Stick to your workout and go home when finished.

First of all, I was just asking a question and there is no reason to jump down my throat. I never thought about people working a different shift, which that fact has been brought to my attention, oh I don't know, 20 times in this thread so thank you for repeating what everyone has already said.

Second, just because someone doesn't wear makeup doesn't make them a sewer troll.

I'm over reading all of the overreactions and drama. I get it, everyone have their reasons for wearing makeup to the gym. POINT MADE!!!!!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I wear make-up to my marathons. Runner's world interviewed an Olympian who does the same and what she said made perfect sense to me, " If you feel great about the way you look, you will confident and perform great" Ever since then, I've worn my make-up.
  • smc864
    Options
    I wear make-up to my marathons. Runner's world interviewed an Olympian who does the same and what she said made perfect sense to me, " If you feel great about the way you look, you will confident and perform great" Ever since then, I've worn my make-up.

After all the overwhelming responses to this thread I decided to wear some makeup to the gym on days that I lift weights -- because I'm staring at myself in the mirror the whole time -- and it really did make me feel better about myself. I stayed there longer and pushed myself harder because I liked the way I looked. I totally get it now :)

And thank you for responding to my question in a polite manner :smile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

After all the overwhelming responses to this thread I decided to wear some makeup to the gym on days that I lift weights -- because I'm staring at myself in the mirror the whole time -- and it really did make me feel better about myself. I stayed there longer and pushed myself harder because I liked the way I looked. I totally get it now :)

Breaking news at ten - person's mind changed on internet in polite debate! Sensation!
  • smc864
    Options

Breaking news at ten - person's mind changed on internet in polite debate! Sensation!

Lol quite shocking isn't it!!
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I work at a gym and I have seen it ALL.

If i go to the gym after work then yeah i'll have make up on but I would never put on make up FOR the gym.

I get that some girls might be trying to impress a guy there, afterall I met my fiance at the gym, but there is no need for a cake face.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If I'm in full makeup at the gym, it's only because I just got off work.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A lot of women refuse to be seen w/o their make up, heck I know someone who is married and sleeps in it. Also they may work and are going to or coming from work. If they are going to they may not have the time to put make up on after a workout. I dunno, I do not wear any unless I am going out somewhere special.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    If I go from work to the gym there's gonna be makeup.. and I will look like Alice Cooper when I am done and IDGAF.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What if she is coming to the gym after work and doesn't want to wash it off first if she's only going to take a shower after?
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If I go from work to the gym there's gonna be makeup.. and I will look like Alice Cooper when I am done and IDGAF.

Boss
  • peachcats
    Options
    I've seen a lot of women go to the gym and do nothing but stare at guys while all dressed up.
    It's kind of creepy.
  • midgedube1
    Options
    I don't even bother to wear makeup to the gym why when I am just going there to sweat it... not to sweat it is not a pretty sight especially when you are wearing eye liner not a sexy look. Plus the make up clogs up and gets into your pore which brings on pimples. Sorry "don't have time for that"!!! LOL When I wear make up its for a special occasion to show off my new body and when want I feel sexy.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    only reason I show up with makeup on at the gym is because im coming from work...trust me its gone when i leave.