40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    mousemom - you are welcome to stay! I am 53 and no one has kicked me out yet. :wink:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    sdereski - that Stockholm trip sounds AWESOME!! Great!! Anything you have to do to "enter" (i.e. are there qualifying races you have to do??)

mousemom - is there a 50+ board?? I thought 40+ was generous enough to include "anyone over 40"....which, of course, would include those over 50, over 60, over 70....
  • Helsybels
    Helsybels Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all, get well soon all of you who are sick! Been to the gym tonight and now I feel so good! Tired but happy and positive. Got a compliment on the depth of my squat from one of the really fit blokes too! So that was nice.

Have a great Friday all. Hx
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    sdereski, Stockholm marathon sounds awesome!
    bkw, WOOHOO! on onederland!

I've been a little off track with my eating this week (a couple dinners out) but am getting myself back on \. Tomorrow I'm going to miss my usual HIIT class as I've got an appointment in the morning, so I'm thinking I may try Zumba after work if I can get there on time..... I've never done it before and I'm sure I'll feel super awkward but I usually do enjoy dance classes, just haven't done one in a LONG time as I've been focusing more on strength and core.

Our insurance open enrollment at work has started, and it turns out all plans available are now going to offer the reimbursement if you go to the gym a certain number of times in 6 months. The plan I've had until now has not offered that, so that's some nice extra incentive to keep up my gym visits.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    jonnyman - if you REALLY want to hear what I have to say, then PM me....I'd be happy to answer, privately!

Hi to luvmich and weaving!

Today I am having lunch with an old business colleague...everytime we go for lunch he tries to "sell me" something. So, I HATE THIS....ugh.

Beeps, privately????? :noway: :noway: Do you have any secrets not worth sharing??? C'mon!!!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Awww heck, I just found this thread. A lot of excellent posts here.

Hello cool people. Sorry I couldn't stay.

I'm turning 50 tomorrow.

Guess I'd better go find that thread.

Mousemom, this is for cool kids over 40!!!!! You are a 1963 baby too!!!! I will be 50 in Nov.!!! So, to answer your question, you CAN join this group!!! I am not going anywhere when I turn 50, heck, I created this group in 2009!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hi, HELP PLEASE , mfp is full of wonderful advice, often very conflicting though as there really is no one size fits all etc....One of the common themes relates to calories and eat more to lose and though I agree with the principles of this, as someone over 40 with a very sedately job (and a dislike for extensive housework plus no little kids to run around after) I am really not sure what I should be eating calorie wise and what exercise is the best for my age!!!!
    And I know I am getting this all wrong as I am simply not losing anything worthwhile and I am sure I don't have an underlying medical condition. I don't have a huge amount to lose and I do eat reasonably so it is not a case of giving up a food type (soda, pizza etc) to see a great losss lol.
    I suppose what I am asking is for advice from other women in their 40s (or older) and what changes worked for you?
    What calories do you eat when working to lose (I am 5"3 and currently 148 lb)?
    What exercise had the greatest impact while still being practical to commit too? I have access to a council gym but hate gyms so I use mainly for classes (zumba/pilates/body balance )and swimming and I also run, though only around 3k each time at the moment as I had a hip injury and have had to take it slow once I started up again. The gym does have body pump/CRworx and similar classes so I could access those too but I need to keep the pilates due to controlling my hip problem.

I do have a basic weight set at home and a bench plus a kettle bell though I have never used the weights (they are hubbys) and I had to stop the kettlebell when my hip went and I am a little wary of restarting that one.

Help please

jonnyman, welcome to the group! To be honest, yes, it is harder to lose weight as you get older but it is not impossible. I have always loved to exercise, mostly for recreation during my adolescence, then because my job required it (I was in the ARMY), then and now to stay healthy. I never really watched what I ate, exercising took care of keeping my weight in check. BUT as I started getting older and I noticed that the weight kept going up no matter how much I exercised I started to watch my diet. It is a MUST that you eat healthy most of the time, no need to deprive yourself from anything, but do eat less of the things you know are not really needed physically (example sweets, processed foods, alcohol, you feel me). Fill up more on fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts/seeds, etc. Lots of water. As far as exercise goes, I highly recommend weight training (as heavy as you can, of course, increasing gradually). I recommend it more than cardio. When you do cardio, try to go for some interval trng (high/low intensity intervals). To balance your overall physical health, flexibility exercises, yoga, etc. Relaxation and adequate sleep...Another thing that helped me the stubborn weight was to log in my foods, it is best to know your real needs first. And try not to eat too little. There is no magic trick, everyone is different, lots of trial and error. Be patient but be consistent!!!!!

Sdereski, Stockholm that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:

weaving2fast, welcome!! Hooray for eating clean now!!! :drinker:

Luvmichnata, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!! :drinker:

RM10003, did you make it to Zumba??? I am a Zumba Instructor, have been teaching for 4 yrs now. I love it!!! If you didn't like this instructor, try another one, we all have different styles.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!! I had the day off yesterday to go to an appointment with my hubby and got some other things done as well.

I skipped the workout this morning due to some low blood sugar issues and feeling very tired, but I may try to get something in later. My 5k is this weekend along with a day of shopping with my mom tomorrow. Should be fun!

Hope everyone has a good day/weekend!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday cool kids!

Beeps - no qualifer for Stockholm, just register and pay a big fat fee ...$112 euros. Acutally, for a bigger marathon that is about par now that I think about it.

Running a marathon in different parts of the world is just an excuse for me to get there and a way to stay in shape. If I am going to go to all that expense to run a marathon, then I am going to be prepared to do it. But, then I always make a vacation of it afterward and enjoy the sites. :wink:

Other than my Iceland Ultra, all my marathons / runs have been in NA, so this is exciting. My first official European marathon. :happy:

Alf, I am always impressed by your energy and dedication to your fitness. I know you have a busy life, and you just go, go, go.

Kelly Sue - hope you feel better.

Had a good lifting session yesterday. OMG! My abs were so sore! I could barely do a sit up they hurt so bad. I do not recall having such pain and I have done 2 sessions of P90X's ab ripper! Oh, how far I have fallen. :tongue:
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I like to say it took me 40 years to look this good!!:bigsmile: In reality I am in the best shape I have ever been since high school!:drinker: I totally lost control of myself in my 30's. Love that I finally saw this group.:heart:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski - ab-work has been out of my rotation for a bit....when it shows up, again, I think I might DIE!

KellySue - hope you're feeling better soon - have a good weekend!

michele - welcome!

Today, I lift!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Hi, HELP PLEASE , mfp is full of wonderful advice, often very conflicting though as there really is no one size fits all etc....One of the common themes relates to calories and eat more to lose and though I agree with the principles of this, as someone over 40 with a very sedately job (and a dislike for extensive housework plus no little kids to run around after) I am really not sure what I should be eating calorie wise and what exercise is the best for my age!!!!
    And I know I am getting this all wrong as I am simply not losing anything worthwhile and I am sure I don't have an underlying medical condition. I don't have a huge amount to lose and I do eat reasonably so it is not a case of giving up a food type (soda, pizza etc) to see a great losss lol.
    I suppose what I am asking is for advice from other women in their 40s (or older) and what changes worked for you?
    What calories do you eat when working to lose (I am 5"3 and currently 148 lb)?
    What exercise had the greatest impact while still being practical to commit too? I have access to a council gym but hate gyms so I use mainly for classes (zumba/pilates/body balance )and swimming and I also run, though only around 3k each time at the moment as I had a hip injury and have had to take it slow once I started up again. The gym does have body pump/CRworx and similar classes so I could access those too but I need to keep the pilates due to controlling my hip problem.

I do have a basic weight set at home and a bench plus a kettle bell though I have never used the weights (they are hubbys) and I had to stop the kettlebell when my hip went and I am a little wary of restarting that one.

Help please

First and foremost what helped me the most was LOGGING EVERYTHING!! This helped me to see where I needed to make changes in my eating habits. This is where you should focus most of your attention...weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% about how you exercise.

Cardio is good for those days you want to splurge a little more than others so you have those extra calories to consume. I learned a bit late that strength training is a BIG help. It will prevent the "skinny fat" syndrome (as well as helping keep your LBM) and muscle will help to burn those calories!!

Personally I love all Beachbody programs and a lot of Jillian Michaels' videos. After my move at the end of the month my plan is to work the Body Beast program from Beachbody to build strength!
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just found this "club" and this is where I need to be!
    SO Happy to see a bunch of successful people here.

I have a long way to go and I'm looking for some motivating people who are positive about what they're doing!
    And, very often, I'm looking for some people who aren't afraid to give me a nudge or a kick in the butt to get going!

Please friend me if you're willing.
    Thanks all!
    Donna
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hey cool kids! Welcome to all the new faces!

Abs! Super hard for me! I do my best though! My youngest was a emergency c-section and I have a hernia! doc is hoping that with continued exercise and weight loss all that should have to be done if needed is sew the muscles back together so they can finish healing. Only prob is if I should get pg again it will open right back up!

Going to get my still coughing boys out of the house for a walk today. Then we are going to make some super garlicky pizza sauce for later. Garlic always makes me feel good the next day! Must be an Italian thing! lol

My neighbors have a band, and they are jamming today! May sit outside and fold laundry to listen!

The pic is from my now 11 yr olds b-day party. Have a great video of my friend Tiina (who is from Finland) and I chasing the kids around in the jumper! At least I have felt like playing! I didn't for the longest time! Makes me feel like a good mom again!
    ; )

Take care and have a great weekend cool kids! xoxo
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 so I guess that would make me a cool kid too...:smile:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi new kids!

princess, that sounds like so much fun! Glad to hear you're getting some of your "oomph" back.

Alf, I didn't make it to Zumba this evening--couldn't make it out of the office on time. I did walk home two miles, though, which helped clear my head after a long work week (6 days) and a day that started with a funeral. All I want to do now is go to sleep, but the hubs was kind enough to do the laundry and it's all over the bed, so I gotta get some folding done first.
  • flufferella
    flufferella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wanna be a cool kid!
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!! Survived a very long work week, and I'm still under my calorie goal. Huge for me because I tend to overeat when I'm stressed or tired. I'm looking forward to having time for some long workouts this weekend.

KellySue - Feel better and have a great time with your 5k!! Fun stuff!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    HAPPY SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I went to Bikram yesterday. It puts a smile on my face when I can successfully do a certain pose I have been working on. I love it, I wish I could do it more often than once a week. :cry: I psyching myself up to lift today, very soon. It should be a good one since I have more time on my hands this morning. :drinker: My husband and I are going to a wedding tonight.

Welcome to all the newcomers!!!! Let's all support each other!!!!

Michele, I also neglected myself in my 30s! I do feel I am in the best shape now!!! I do have aches and pains here and there but I am working through them. It comes with age and physical activity but that is no excuse to stop. Great work!!! :drinker:

Take care everyone!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Good cardio class today. Tomorrow, I'm going to squeeze in a lifting session because my M lunch is being hi-jacked for a work function.