40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Welcome FluffyMae!!

Happy Friday!! It was a Jake day today so no work out this morning. Just love that litttle boy! I think that my daughter and I are doing an autism walk tomorrow is the weather holds out. If not, I will be hitting the gym for sure. I may go even if we do walk. Hope everyone has a great day!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I got my lifting in-and-done! lost another 0.5 lbs....and then went and 'celebrated' with fries and gravy. SO DUMB. I still haven't figured out a REALLY GOOD WAY to reward myself that doesn't include "food indulgence".

Don't worry, I'm logging my calories....I've only got, like, 5 lbs left to lose, but they're gonna be the HARDEST ones!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi cool kids!

good news: my food choices have been relatively healthy today (did not have second breakfast, ate lean meats, skipped potatoes, bran muffin instead of something worse).

bad news: travel day means no exercise, I drank a few glasses of wine, my "vitamin water" had 120 calories (?!?!)

TBD: if this plane delay does not end soon, I will be heading to the bar for fries and a beer!! keep your fingers crossed for me!

WOW>>>exciting news from BOSTON!!!

beeps - congrats on your weight loss. you are so dedicated and you deserve that success!!! non-food (and non clothes shopping) rewards: massage, manicure, facial, time away from the kids (thanks hubby), time with the kids (thanks boss), make-up, expensive tea, a spring purse, new workout clothes/shoes...

Kelly - glad you got to spend time with your grandson! have a great walk/workout tomorrow!

Mae - (Mae is my my Mom's and my daughter's middle name!) Welcome to the thread.
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Well, was up at 7:00am and off to the gym by 7:30. Great workout!! Now I'm hangin' at the house the rest of the day as Jake is staying overnight with us!! Yeah!
    We didn't end up doing the walk, too cold and windy today. Oh well, maybe next time.

Have a great weekend all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    off to games' club for a fun afternoon/evening of board-game-playing!

I haven't done this in a LONG time....but, I have a gf who came back to town, she used to go to this games' club with me, and we've decided to spend some time doing that, today!

I'm excited!

Also, I did 75 minutes of cardio this a.m....am still pretty stiff from yesterday's lifting. Brought my daughter along - she only lasted 30 minutes, but that's okay - it's a start!
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Morning Cool Kids, so after a wonderful weekend I have some venting to do...

Ok so I get on the scale this morning and behold I gained 4 lbs during the weekend, 4 FREAKING LBS!!! What gives?
    I know I've heard it all before water weight, weight fluctuations are common, yada, yada, yada. Still, it's so irritating and discouraging to say the least when you've worked out like a maniac the last week (no breaks) doing things you never thought you could do - 175# tire flipping as warm up -, having bruises and blisters everywhere possible, tired beyond measure and then you get on the stupid scale and it tells you it was ALL FOR NOTHING!

I'm pissed! :explode:
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Newbeg- Hang in there girl!! I know the frustration, but we got this and remember, muscle weighs more than fat!!! :smile:

Good weekend overall. Had loads of fun with my grandson. He's a pretty happy baby and my hubby had him belly laughing so hard! :laugh:
    I walked last night- 2 miles in just under 1/2 hour! It was a bit brisk so not sure if the cooler weather made me walk a bit faster or not!!
    Made it to the gym this morning and had an awesome workout!

Have a good day all!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Happy Monday all!!

New Beg - way to push yourself last week. It is absolutely NOT all for naught! In 25 years, I am sure that you will be able to get on a scale in the morning and have an accurate read on your body fat. All of the fluctuations of salt, TOM, consumed food, muscle inflamation, muscle growth (!), etc, will be known so that we don't get frustrated. However, for now, we are just going to have to trust that we have been eating right and exercising and that eventually it will show. I generally lose weight in big increments and can gain 2-3 pounds in a day. Hang in there!!

Kelly - great job on the walk and the workout!

Beeps - I would love to go to a game night...maybe I need to host one! I love to compete! Great job on your cardio!

What are everyone's plans for the week?
    Yesterday I tried to go out for a run, but I have developed a pain in my knee, so I quit after 10 meters. I was really bummed. could not treadmill it this am either. I did do a super yoga class, which really helped my DOMS from saturday's lifting.

This am I lifted again. good workout...went up in a lot of my lifts. Unfortunately, I ran out of time.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    My DOMs were HORRIBLE yesterday. Terrible. Funny because I lifted on Friday, and Saturday I went and did a long cardio class in the morn. Did fine.

By mid-afternoon, Saturday, I was having trouble walking and going upstairs. By Sunday, literally getting UP and DOWN from the couch was PAINFUL!

Lol....I guess my DOMs can get WORSE the 2nd day after lifting, rather than the first. Good news - it was ALL IN THE GLUTES, which is the muscles I'm really trying to chisel!

Anyway, today I'm going to lift, pain or no pain....gotta keep my schedule!! (And, it isn't "injury pain" - it's just stiffness!)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Sorry I have been MIA, but was away for work - so there were traveling days and then long work days in there. Got home last evening and I have a terrible sore throat and cold! Ugh! Not what I need right now. My marathon is this coming Saturday and I have so much I need to do before I go. Food and exercise has been crap - I managed to run once while away.

Today I stared my clean eating again. These extra pounds and inches have to go! A lot of my clothes are not fitting very well and summer is coming.

The weather has been absolutely depressing, which does not make anyone want to get out and do anything, let alone run. It is dark and dreary here today. At least it is not snowing!!

Yes Beeps, the Boston bombings were horrible! I have been watching or listening whenever I had the chance and continue to watch/listen to the updates. In all this, I have not heard anything about the one brother's wife and child, other than he had both. There are so many unanswered questions. More questions than answers at this point.

Alf, I am so, so sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I know you were taking him back to PR and you were a little concerned that he would not receive the care there, like he was receiving here with you taking care of him. ((hugs)) to you.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yes, sdereski, you HAVE been missing in action! I noticed! I really hope you do well in your marathon - are they taking "a minute of silence" in memory of Boston?? (I know some races did that this past weekend.)

Don't worry about "clean eating".....just watch your calories - all that "bloat" will come right off - I PROMISE!!

I got my lifting in-and-done....it ended up being a MAJOR shoulder day, today! YAY - my favourite!
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    Hey guys, I turned 40 last month. Can I join the cool kids gang? A little about me, I just finished 20 weeks of turbofire, and took a couple weeks of recovery time and today started a p90x/insanity hybrid. I'm in maintenance mode for now, looking to shed a little fat and get some more muscles.

Thanks!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Of course you can join the 40+ club!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    good morning cool kids! I am having issues with knee pain, so I could not do my sprint workout this am. I did spin instead. Glad my sprint workout partner cancelled on me last night so I did not have to cancel on her this am!

welcome mrsmark! sounds like you are in amazing shape! have you ever considered lifting heavy to build muscle and shed fat? I know it works for me!

beeps - good job on the lifting! I think its awesome that you lift as much as you do and you still are working it hard enough/switching up your program enough to get sore.

sdereski - sorry to hear that you have a cold this week...at least its time for tapering before your race. which marathon are you doing? Best of luck with your clean eating. I do so much better when i focus on the veggies!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Welcome MrsMark!!

Good morning all!! Walked 2 miles today before Jake got to the house and used some light weights when walking. It was good! I haven't been doing too much with weights, but am feeling that I am ready to start. I have to have a couple of things checked out when I see the doc tomorrow, so as long as he says I'm good to go, that will be my next step.

Icuconley- hope that knee pain improves soon!

sdereski- hope you are feeling better and rested for this weekend. Good luck!

Have a good day all! Oh, and I just saw that I hit my 100 days of consecutive logging in on MFP!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Be careful on the knee PAIN, lcuconley!! Remember, always, "NO INJURIES"!!

KellySue - I totally hope to see you posting about weight-training VERY soon....in my humble opinion (the opinion of one among many), weight-training is THE most important exercising to be doing if FAT LOSS and CHANGE SHAPE are your goals!!

Today is a full rest day - I have a lunch scheduled with an old business acquaintance and after work I'm getting my roots done. CANNOT WAIT - GO AWAY GREY!
  • stiggy64
    stiggy64 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Not been around for a bit so been a bit lapse in posting.
    I'm into week 3 of SL5x5 and it's going well. Having started with the empty bar the weights are starting to increase now and it feels like i'm actually starting to lift. Been fitting in some cardio too so feeling quite good about myself at the moment.

The only downside is I put on another 3lb last week. I wasn't too surprised as I lifted on Friday and had been out on both Thursday and Friday evenings, both of which involved meals that I had no control over.
    I've also dropped my daily calorie count down from 2,000 to 1,700 to see how I get on as i'd put on 4lbs in 2 weeks. Having said that I don't feel like I've put any weight on, if fact clothes feel looser, which is a good thing :)
  • immnamna
    immnamna Posts: 5
    Options
    That P90x yoga workout would be much more palatable if they would have mixed the activities vs splitting the workout into 2 halves I think.

I am finding it hard to want to do it a second time....
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    OK, so I won't actually be 40 for another four months or so...but I found this group and thought I would get a jump start. I like the topics and find them helpful and informative. Seems like a supportive place to hang out once in a while.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    stiggy-chiseling away at the inches is ALSO important (it's not JUST about scale weight) - so good for you that your clothes feel "looser"!

welcome, karllundy.

I'm going to guess that immnamna won't stop by more than just the one time....

I kept my calories to 400 over lunch. But, overall, have upped my calories to 1,400 per day (= 9,800 per week) in an effort to get a little bit closer to "maintenance".