40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    beeps - too bad that you don't like shopping. hope what you ordered "works"! I like shopping, but I rarely make the time for it.

This am I did my 5k run/sprint workout. I did a couple fewer sets than Tuesday as I really pushed it in spin class last night and I did not want to totally overdo so that I can't lift tomorrow. The sprint workout is tough, but I know that its going to help me in soccer and the HIIT approach should really burn some fat!

hey...just saw that our cardinal is back! now spring HAS to come...

What has everyone else got on tap for today?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    20 cm of snow coming....that's ALL that I can think about! Well, that and the fact my saturday step-cardio class is "cancelled" this week because the instructors are in training!

So, I don't think I'll lift (tomorrow), because I intend on getting a lifting session in, today. What should I do, tomorrow?? The cardio machines will be FULL (since none of the group classes are running....) and I was HOPING to do something outdoors, but not with this C-R-A-Z-Y forecast!

Maybe I should do a TRX session....hmmmmmm.....
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    on tap for me today?...rest, rest and more rest I'm exhausted! The workout was so intense last night that I was so wired I couldn't sleep, I probably got 4 hrs tops. It's raining today so I can't even walk my exhaustion off during lunch.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I intend to work out early tomorrow morning and then hit the road for a 4 hr ride to visit my baby sister.

Beeps - that was quite a shopping spree, hope everything fits.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to all!

lcu - no, eating habits have not changed. Some days I eat more than others, but certainly not enough to justify a 6lb weight gain!! I would have to be eating non stop crap.

Beeps - I LOVE shopping. Actually, I do believe it should be considered a sport. :laugh: I have to really restrain myself and lately, I have been very good. I put myself on a spending freeze. Our son is getting married, so I know extra funds are going to be needed for that, although he and his fiance are doing much on their own - but there is still lots of extra expenses we have to incur.

stiggy - :laugh: I'm sure it is time for YOU to go shopping as well. Need any help? I'm good at spending $$ :wink:

Got my P90X workout in yesterday and did really try to use heavier weights. Many of the exercisses I did go to failure, so that's good. It was my shoulder & Arms and Ab ripper session. I am still behine one workout and will try and make it up.

It is snowing and blowing here today and supposed to continue all weekend, which just sucks! I have a long run to do this weekend (my last) and certainly don't want to be running 35k in a snowstorm or on a treadmill. :noway: Although I have done it before (in a snowstorm that is).

Beeps, I don't want to hear about your 20cm of snow, because I know we will get a few days later! NOOOOOOOO! The long range forecast does call for 18cm of snow, so that's probably it. Damn!

have yet to see a Robin, so I know spring is not here yet.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the well wishes. Feeling much better today. Today was a Jake day (my grandson) so no work out this morning. I did have a bunch of cleaning to do when I came in to work today as we had to clean up from our performance night last night. I swept, vacuumed, moved and put away chairs, dusted and cleaned the glass. That was actually quite a work out! I will be at the gym tomorrow at some point though.

Beeps- good luck on all of the things that you bought!

You guys that are experiencing snow right now can keep it! It is pouring rain here today and that is bad enough!

Have a great Friday All!
  • stiggy64
    stiggy64 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There it is, first week of 5x5 done and dusted, and I have to say I feel pretty damn good about it! I know it'll get a lot harder but things felt pretty solid, no waving around all over the place trying to lift stuff.

After today's session, considering I'd spent £7.50 (c$12) on it I thought I'd do a bit of cardio just to get my money's worth.
    I chose the 18 minute pyramid programme on the treadmill. OMG, that was tough! You know you get those times when you're part way through something and you think to yourself "what on earth were you thinking of when you picked this?". That was today!
    The good news is I have this thing that if I start I have to finish, can't stand giving up on stuff. Admittedly I had to drop the speed as running on a 14 degree incline was proving a little challenging but I completed it.

Weigh in day tomorrow. So far I'm down 13.4 lbs so I'm hoping I can reach the 1 stone mark.

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    stiggy - love how you got your money's worth!

Kelly - love the workouts where you actually accomplish something!

sdereski - good luck with the weather tomorrow! I can't imagine a worse workout than 21 miles on a treadmill!!

newbeg - enjoy your rest day and your visit with your sister!

beeps - I have never done TRX. Would you do that on a day after lifting? I thought was pretty intense bodyweight exercises. Why no classes at the gym? Already calling 'em due to snow?
  • KellySue67
    Options
    :happy: I am very excited and had to share!! I did this "biggest loser" 12 week challenge at work and I won second place with a loss of 21.6 lbs. I won $200.00!! WhooHoo!! I also got on the scale today- which I only do every couple of weeks- and I lost another 6.6lbs! :happy:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    stiggy - that is fantastic!! Great job on the weight loss and WTG on getting your money's worth! Had to chuckle and your second thoughts. yes, am sure we've all had those! :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    That's AWESOME on the weight loss! Congratulations!

I got my weight training session in and done. Off to book club tonight! Have a great weekend, all!
  • stiggy64
    Options
    Well, that didn't go as planned, I put on 1lb!

This is my 2nd week on 2k calories after I upped it from 1,270 which the general consensus said was too low as my BMR is 1,800. I know it takes a bit of time for the body to reset itself so will be sticking with it and see what happens. It will be interesting to see what happens as the 5x5 weight starts to increase and has more of an impact on my body.

Even so, I'm still 42lbs less that I was when I made the decision to change 3 years ago and even if I didn't lose another 1lb I can live with where I am. My goal is to get to 180-182 so being at 189 I'm not a million miles away but I will still be working hard to reach that goal.

And the really good news? It's actually sunny today so i'll be out for a nice long walk with Sparky, our English Springer Spaniel at some point today.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    stiggy - whose consensus was it that you should "eat more"?? Certainly not mine! If you aren't losing fat, then you are eating too much. (The 1 lb gain might be water, so I wouldn't worry about that....but, if you gain next week, I'd certainly dump calories back down. If your BMR is 1,800, try eating at 1,650 and make sure you are MEASURING YOUR FOOD.)

20cm of snow is falling - I'm taking a FULL pajama day, today!
  • stiggy64
    Options
    Trust me, i weigh/measure everything! I'm going to do another week at 2k and then drop it down again, i'm looking at this as a marathon rather than a sprint so happy to take my time to get where I want to be.

Enjoy the snow :)
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Stiigy - I think you are right that a general consensus would say that men (especially when active/lifting) should not be as low as 1300 calories. I agree with your decision to up your cals. That being said, when you up your cals, your body will need to adjust to eating more. What did you up to? I think its great that you have reached a point that your weight is essentially ok...congrats. Enjoy your dog walk today!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Happy Saturday Evening all! I'm sure most are out and about. I have been out all day and am now relaxing for the evening. I had a good work out today amongst all of my errands and meetings. I also went shopping to get some new pants for work. I have to say that it was quite an impressive trip. I have dropped three pant sizes when it comes to dress pants. (two sizes for jeans) I was very happy to say the least! :bigsmile: Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend. My younger daughter and her fiancé are coming for dinner tomorrow. Should be a good time.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Will lift today - have to take a kid to a doctor's appt tomorrow during my work-out time. I hope the gym isn't crowded when I go, today!
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Coming out as 40+. Will come back to this thread to share issues like creaking knees and bad backs and how they impact on exercise. Just bump in other words.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Paul - our joints may creak, but staying active is VASTLY better than the alternative!

beeps - how was lifting today? crowded? Sundays are great at my gym.

Kelly - congrats on the pants! What are you making for dinner?

I hope to get out for a run in a bit...need to deal with the taxes first. We survived the 8-year old sleepover party! one kid woke up the flu in the middle of the night...ugh! Just as the mother had stepped in the house, she threw up again. For some reason, I was the one to get her into the bathroom and hold her hair...the mom just stood there, not even coming to the bathroom door! Sheesh!

Tomorrow is a rest day, as I am headed to NC...
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Well, dinner with my daughter was nice. She requested tater tot casserole and Irish soda bread. Two of her favorites that I used to make when she still lived at home. She brought dessert, which was very fattening- Reese's peanut butter ice cream pie! Needless to say I did not stay within my calorie goal today. I haven't had a cheat day in a while, so I guess I'll survive. Tomorrow is a new day! The important thing is that we had a great visit. My other daughter dropped my grandson off for a couple of hours as well so it made it all the more fun!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    lcu - tell me that mom took the kid home???? I wouldn't want that ANYWHERE near all those other kids (particularly mine!)

Lifting went well, yesterday - lower-body mostly. I have to do a Tues work-out, too, since M/W are out this week. It's gonna be a weird week!

Glad you had a nice time with your daughter, Kelly!

I might get a cardio work-out in after work....if my daughter wants to go. She was fevered all weekend, so I'm not that sure it's a good idea. But, I want to support her as she remains pretty excited to give this a go.