40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I did my workout this morning before work (my typical time). Shaun T kicked my butt and I loved it. I had to wipe the sweat off the floor before doing cardio abs. Didn't want to fall during the tuck jumps. I'm feeling a little (a lot really) sore from the push up and pull ups from yesterday. I also went to a hot yoga class tonight to loosen up a little.

Stiggy- Great job chiseling away the inches, its way more important than the stupid scale.

sdereski- good luck with the marathon and hope you're feeling better.

lcuconley- I work out at home so heavy lifting is not an option. This time through (p90x), I'm going with heavier weights and aiming for 8-10 reps instead of 12-15. Take it easy on the knee, don't want to aggravate it.

immnamna- p90x yoga is long and tedious, but it is a great workout. I got the fountain of youth yoga and usually do that one instead (its about 45-50 minutes).

beeps- yay for getting your hair done. love those days!!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Meeeeeeeeeeee
    40+
    49 actually
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid 40's and would like to join in if that's okay. I didn't take the time to read much but I will try to keep up the best I can.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcomers!! Keep posting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I'll go lift at lunch. Wearing the SMALLEST jeans I own, and they are fitting a little big. Just a little, but it's a good sign that my hip measurement is actually reducing.

YAY!
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all new Cool Kids :)

After my Monday morning meltdown, happy to report I'm back to normal, no longer mad at the scale.

Worked out on Monday night, 100 wallball squats and 3 rounds of 15 power cleans #55, 10 bar to chest pull-ups (not quite there yet) and 150 jump rope. Took a break last night to move furniture - we're replacing the carpet in our entire upstairs- talk about heavy lifting! Going to the gym again tonight hoping the WOD doesn't work my knees too bad, they are in pretty bad shape (bruised, sore and kind of mushy feeling), yuck!

Have a great rest of the day!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Went to Bodypump class this morning...loved it. It kicks my butt in a great way and is totally different from the other weight and cardio things I do.

Everyone keep at it!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Great work-outs, 40+!!

I got in a good lifting session today....my glutes are starting to get pretty stiff, so I guess the one-legged-get-ups, the T-bends AND the hip thrusts have hit them H-A-R-D.
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    Hey all!! Great job working out today. This morning was shoulders and arms. I did okay, able to finish them all. Trying to up my weight, goal is to be able to all sets in the 8-10 range instead of 12-15. Tonight is hot yoga/power yoga, which is my favorite yoga class. Tonight we start a new series of poses; we build to some difficult pose, last month was 8 angle pose, will see what it is this session.

I updated my profile pic to a progress shot after my workout this morning. Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with where I am, but will always be a work in progress.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yay on "progress", MrsMark - THAT'S THE NAME OF THE GAME, for sure.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I missed posting yesterday, but spent the day in CPR/First Aid training. I worked out before hand and had a great work out. I also had my appointment with my doc yesterday. Things went great. My blood work was FAB!!! My Hemoglobin A1C(my husband calls is the liar's test for diabetes- it tells what your average blood sugars were for the last three months) was 6.6 (av. blood sugar-153) which went down from 11.2(av. blood sugar of 320) in January. My cholesterol dropped from 177 to 115 and triglycerides were 85. Also, I have lost 40lbs since September of last year. (My ticker says 37.something, but I had some increases that I didn't write in) Needless to say, my doctor was thrilled. I have, however, been having some trouble with numbness in my hands- right one especially. He says I have carpel tunnel syndrome. We're going to see how it is when I go back in August. I asked about the weights and he said that I could do nautilus or cybex type machines and just be careful of too much wrist movement,so, I guess that is where I will start.

No work out today- had a meeting first thing this morning and didn't have time. Maybe I'll squeeze in a walk later. Have a good day all!
  • helpers1
    helpers1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody - first timer here. I'm 47, and a few years ago challenged myself to be at the best of my life physically by age 50. After a few years of doing nothing about it, I figured I better get serious. I had 100+ lbs to lose, and started working out with a trainer 3x/week. I'm into week 10, and have lost 25 lbs. Feeling great! And this exercise stuff is getting addictive.....I would rather be there than working at my desk!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hi cool kids!

yesterday was a rest day, as I traveled for business. Tomorrow is another rest day due to travel. TODAY I ran a mile, lifted and will be going to hot power yoga tonight!! Tonight is also date night, but I am planning on being good!

I did not do my sprint workouts this week (tuesday bcse my knee hurt, today bcse i wanted to lift) and my knee does not hurt at all. The lifting and sprinting might be too much...

helpers - congrats on your progress so far! 2.5 pounds a week is amazing!! What do you do with your trainer? Do you work out away from your trainer?

kelly - congrats on the awesome bloodwork results! Getting healthier in so many ways!

mrsmark - you look great! I love hot yoga, too!

beeps - you are going to have BUNS OF STEEL! congrats on the jeans progress!

newbeg - sounds like a great workout. take care of those knees! (stretching your quads, hams and hip flexors are very important)
  • helpers1
    Options
    Thanks for the kudos! I meet with the trainers M/W/F and we do a cardio circuit (is that what it's called when you lift and do cardio inbetween sets? whatever it is, it's killer), and on T/TH I do my own thing, which at this point is 1/2 hour of major cardio. I'm 10 weeks into it, and haven't hit a plateau yet - I weigh every friday with them, at my request. I'm just kinda freaked out that I'm going to step on the scale and it's going to show the same as the week before. They tell me to quit being so hard on myself - it's going to happen, and I should look at how hard I train and how closely I watch my food and quit looking at the scale. But at this point, it's hard not to measure my progress by the numbers. I started at 250 lb, and I am 5'2". I am getting to the point where I (and they are encouraging me) feel more comfortable about working outside the gym on my "off" days. I'm excited to see all the different ideas on this forum....
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    lcuconley - thanks for the stretching tips, you're not the first one to suggest I do more of that. Aleve has helped also :)

beeps - I discovered last night my weight max for front squats is 125#, is that considered heavy lifting? I'm pretty stocked about it, did 3 reps without a problem, would have done more but my right wrist did not want to cooperate. I did complete my WOD with 5 rounds of 5 75# squat presses, 10 v-ups and 60 jump ropes in 12 min. I'd love to hear your input.

kellysue - congrats on the doc visit and your improved health, I know that is reason enough to keep on keeping on. Good job!

What ever happened to HikeThatMountain?

Have a great day!
  • helpers1
    Options
    MrsMark: awesome pic!!!! that is a great incentive for me - I'm really enjoying the workouts and being stronger - not just losing weight.

KellySue: congratz on the great health report! I'm sure your doc was quite impressed -
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...and I'm going drinking with my gf's....

(hope that tells you how MY DAY WENT!)

Tomorrow, I lift thank goodness - I'M REALLY GRUMPY TODAY!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Helpers - I agree that the fitness gains (strength, cardio, etc) are really important. Sounds like you have made a lot of progress in a short time...physically and mentally.

Newbeg - 125 is awesome for a front squat! i bet you could do a lot more for a back squat. Your work out sounds great. Is that crossfit?
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    Kelly Sue-- awesome improvement in your labs. A1c dropping that much is amazing!! You rock! No doubt you were "patient of the day."

helpers- great loss! way to take charge and make a change.

lcuconley-- glad the knee is better. Sometimes I have to take a few days off if mine starts hurting. Glucosamine and a patellar band have been a great addition, especially on higher impact days (insanity mainly). Have fun on date night.

----
    last night's yoga class was amazing, unfortunately we spent lots of time in down dog and working upper body, which wore me out (did shoulders/arms yesterday morning). I'm going to have to alter my schedule, just switch body parts or do cardio that morning instead. This morning was cardio recovery which was a great light day.

Oh the "power" poses we are working on this month are crow, side crow and bird of paradise. I was almost able to do bird of paradise, just couldn't quite straighten my leg entirely. Will work on it for the next 6 weeks.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool kids! I was able to get in a 3 mile walk last night, so I was glad for that. Today was a Jake day so no work out this am. Maybe another walk tonight. I'll be hitting the gym for sure tomorrow morning. Thanks for all of the support on the labs. Now to continue to work hard and keep them that way!!

Happy Friday everyone and hope you have a great weekend. I have a weekend full of yard work planned as my yard is in desperate need of some TLC now that the snow is gone.
  • helpers1
    Options
    KellySue - nice job on the 3-mile walk!

I had my weigh-in today with the trainers.....I gained a lb. If this was any week previous, I would be devastated. But my husband and trainers have been working diligently with me this week about being "kinder" to myself, and not married to the numbers on the scale. I know in my heart how hard I've worked this week, and what great choices I've made with my food. It's been such a mind-game, the sad thing is I'm the only player!!!!

So, before we head out on the motorcycles tomorrow for a road trip, we are heading to the gym for a quick workout in the morning.

and you know what? I'm rockin' a new pair of jeans today - 3 sizes smaller!!!! so THERE, scale!