"You're still fat"

Options

Replies

• naparker333
    naparker333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WOW! What a crappy experience to have, and how revealing of the ugly those girls carry inside themselves. Though not quite the same, I had a similar experience yesterday, which motivated me here today. Hang in there and celebrate yourself....you've ALREADY won by not letting them take you down :)
  • lindamartin423
    lindamartin423 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with CeleryStalker: Karma has a way of coming back and biting you in the butt. I tell my students when they come to me sad because of the mean girl syndrome (or mean boy, but it seems to be worse with girls because of body image) Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Don't give a second thought to them. You are strong and wonderful, working to get stronger!
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The same type of thing has happened to me before. It didn't stop me....however, I did decide to invest in an elliptical so I could exercise at home where I have the support system and positive reinforcement necessary for me to keep going!
  • elmanre
    elmanre Posts: 14
    Options
    Happened to me, and you know what? I decided to be stronger, faster, and lose more weight just to prove that people talking sh**** doesn't affect me. Stick to the plan and show those bit***s that you can!!
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just the fact that you did 4 miles was awesome in my book!!! Forget those girls.... they obviously have no compassion in them, and further more no manners. I bet their parents would be proud of what they've become ((snickers))
    Anyhow.. forget them.... you are doing fantastic, and I've been where you're at, and yes, it hurts but you just gotta ignore it and keep going. You reap what you sow... so those girls will get theirs one day.

Congrats again on that 4 mile walk! :drinker:
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    What horrible little *****es! Can't imagine what they gain from this kind of behavior. As for you, you must keep a laser focus on what you need to do to achieve a healthier weight and a happier life. Your dedication to exercising is commendable and nothing should dissuade you from doing what you need to reach your goals. If you follow your MFP numbers and eat a healthy diet and move your body, you will succeed. I have every confidence in you. If I can do this, you can do this... I applaud you for sharing this story. Anyone who has been overweight has suffered some kind of similar humiliations over their lives and we do empathize with you. Persevere!
  • CidaliaM73
    Options
    If I could, I'd give you a big hug.

They are jerks, plain and simple, and their comments have nothing to do with how well you are doing or what you are accomplishing. I think I would've been tempted to yell back, "at least I'm doing something about it...what are you doing about being a b****?

They are empty on the inside and have nothing to focus on besides the outside.

Like everyone else, those skinny girls who think they're "all that" will age and get wrinkled. The difference is, people who are beautiful on the inside will deal with it gracefully, because we don't place all our value and self worth on our outside appearance. Those girls will not handle aging well. It will be torture for them, and they will be miserable old women, because they will have no outside beauty to compensate for the ugliness inside.

"
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have been made fun of because I will go out of my way to say something nice to a complete stranger, figuring maybe it will counter act the mean people. Sounds stupid on paper, but it is how I have felt my entire life.

Once I was on the beach. There was a 20 something girl and her 2 kids playing on the beach. She had a great bathing suit on that really flattered her figure, but when ppl started to show up she put a shirt on and then covered up with towel.

I could take it no more......I walked over and told her the kids were adorable, and asked where she got her suit. When she told me I said "Because man, you picked the PERFECT suit for you. It flatters your figure and now I want one!!"

We talked a little longer and then I walked down the beach. When I returned she was playing with her children at the waters edge, sans the shirt. Smiling.

My day was made when I was leaving and someone stopped me to say "You have the prettiest hair" I knew it was Karma right there and then!

I am so very sorry those nasty things found a reason to spew their venom on you. Don't EVER let someone steal your joy honey! You just keep on keeping on for you!!

Good luck and much love

Arewethereyet:flowerforyou:
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been made fun of because I will go out of my way to say something nice to a complete stranger, figuring maybe it will counter act the mean people. Sounds stupid on paper, but it is how I have felt my entire life.

Once I was on the beach. There was a 20 something girl and her 2 kids playing on the beach. She had a great bathing suit on that really flattered her figure, but when ppl started to show up she put a shirt on and then covered up with towel.

I could take it no more......I walked over and told her the kids were adorable, and asked where she got her suit. When she told me I said "Because man, you picked the PERFECT suit for you. It flatters your figure and now I want one!!"

We talked a little longer and then I walked down the beach. When I returned she was playing with her children at the waters edge, sans the shirt. Smiling.

My day was made when I was leaving and someone stopped me to say "You have the prettiest hair" I knew it was Karma right there and then!

I am so very sorry those nasty things found a reason to spew their venom on you. Don't EVER let someone steal your joy honey! You just keep on keeping on for you!!

Good luck and much love

Arewethereyet:flowerforyou:

You're a wonderful person! :flowerforyou:
  • kneega
    kneega Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    useparagraphs!.png
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Don't let them get you down. You are doing fantastic. A year from now you won't be fat anymore, but they will still be stupid and rude. Hang in there.
  • Dferrynhc
    Dferrynhc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It confounds me that people can be so insensitive and cruel. I can totally empathize with you on this one. Please know that all that you are doing for yourself is just bettering you. You are getting more healthy!
    Those girls obviously don't feel good about themselves and it makes them feel better to belittle another person. In the end, it is these people who end up miserable in life.

You keep going! You are doing GREAT!
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have to share something that I have kept secret for a few days.
    For the first time last friday, I actually got to the 4 mile mark during my walk. This was a huge, huge, huge accomplishment for me. All of my MFP friends know that I am about 100 pounds over- weight, but I have been working very hard and I am dedicated to being a better me. I am down 15 pounds and will probably hit 16 this week. With that said, I was at the end of my walk last Friday and I turned around to head back home. I came to a stop light. While at the stop light, I didn’t want my heart rate to drop, so I did a slow jog. I am not the most graceful person and I know that I am a sight to see when trying to run. But I was doing my best and I was proud of myself. While I was waiting at the light, a car full of cute “skinny” girls pulled up to the stop light. They rolled the windows down and made an effort to make sure I knew they were laughing at me. When the light turned green and they began to drive off, the person closest to me yelled, “You’re still fat”. I immediately stopped in my tracks and slumped over in sadness. How could people that I don’t even know steal my joy? How could people that I don’t even know be so cruel? Why did they even care? Why make the effort to go out of their way to be hurtful? I just don’t understand. This incident didn’t deter me. I am still just as focused on my goals as ever. But I can’t deny that it had an effect on me. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I said to myself, “you ARE still fat”. Sometimes the truth hurts. I obviously have a weight problem. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing this. But it is amazing how words either positive or negative can change your outlook. I don’t know what my point is here. I just want everyone to know that when you say “good job” or “you can do it”, it means more to me than you will ever know. Words are powerful. I won’t drop a bunch of cliché’s and antidotes in this situation because you probably have heard them all. I wasn’t even going to mention this to my MFP community, but I decided that getting it out would allow me to move on. I found a great quote. See below and be nice to each other. =0)

“Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” ~Shirley MacLaine

You should be very, very proud of yourself! The fact that you're able to do that is a major accomplishment, and don't let a couple of ditzes ruin it for you! *supermegabearhugz*
  • rebeccal01
    rebeccal01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My father used to say this cliché to me all the time and it wasn't until I was an adult did I understand what he was trying to tell me. "beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone." those girls might have been thin and pretty but their behavior defines them as the ugliest people on the planet. It is hard for someone with body issues to keep their head up but do it in spite of their ugliness.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    This story makes me so sad and so angry. I haven't read through the comments so I hope you are feeling better now. When I see overweight people walking, hiking, or running outside, I have always totally admired them. They inspire me. Good for you for working to turn your life around.

Those creepy girls have pack mentality, like a pack of dogs. Their behavior reminds me of the way Nazis would laugh at and torment people. If strangers did that to me, it would definitely not crush my heart, but I would be afraid of them for other reasons. People who hurt others for kicks can physically hurt you, too. A group of students in my town set a man on fire who was walking alone after midnight. People like that are sadistic and crazy. They have NOTHING to do with your worth as a human being.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Congratulations for so many things:

For the 4 miles,
    For the positive attitude
    For staying strong
    For choosing a better lifestyle.
    For sharing your story
    And for being a great inspiration.

You are 110% better than them.

Karma is a beautiful thing.

THIS!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • jleedw
    jleedw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    At least you are doing something about "being fat"....they aren't doing anything to be a decent human being.
    You hang in there...use their negativity as motivation to be better than them!
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This amazes me. I cant even begin to understand. When I see someone running, jogging, walking for fitness, I am ALWAYS overcome with joy and envy! I look at them and smile and think to myself "You go girl! You look awesome!". I have always felt this way and still do today. I think about 90% of people feel this same way. I love to see runners. When I see a runner who is overweight, my feelings are multiplied. It is such and inspiration for me. I think to myself how awesome they are for running and how great they look! Keep up the amazing work, I bet you look fantastic while walking/jogging!!! You go girl!
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is a close to home story. Stuff like that is what has always lost my motivation and caused me to give up. However this time around is different. I work in a maximum security prison, I was doing a "security check" in a wing and one of the older (fat) male inmates said "Hey Snyder, you are putting on a lot of weight, your getting fat" I turned to him and gave him a "really look". Pretty much that was the ok time to get at it again.(and the 50+ people asking me if im pregnant) But hey I know that seems weird cause i could care less how the inmates think i look but it opened my eyes to the fact that i am....i hate saying this.....70 pounds overweight at 22 years old. I HATE THAT I AM OVERWEIGHT I WILL CHANGE THIS AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!! That being said, One big problem i have is due to stuff like your stories happening to me. I do stuff to try and lose weight and someone brings me down saying "youre still fat". which makes me embarassed to work out with people. Even with my husband i get embarassed. I know i shouldnt but it happens :(

ps Bumping this great storie for newbies
  • runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm pretty sure they were some young, immature girls who have their own identity issues to deal with!! Keep your head up and keep moving!! You'll probably never see them again...and even if you do, keep doing you!! You're making strides to make yourself healthier!!! When I see anybody walking/jogging, I always say to myself 'You go, girl/boy!" cause they're not sitting at home on the couch!! Cheers to you!! :-)