Rude and Unsupportive Posts.

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Steve Jobs died for the same reason. he had a good prognosis because his cancer was caught very early, but he decided to try alternative cures for a few years before he came to his senses. by that time, it was too late.

I thought he tried both?

Either way, pancreatic cancer has something like a 2% survival rate after five years. I knew someone who had it, caught VERY early and was declared cured. It came back after a year and killed him within weeks. And he was very aggressive with his treatment.

Jobs probably would have died no matter what.

But breast cancer I think now has a 95% survival rate.
    What I understood was that he had a very aggressive form of pancreatic cancer with a minimal survival rate and he tried something new. I'm not sure I wouldn't have done what he did.
    My grandmother, who was a doctor, had colon cancer that spread to her liver. She put herself into every new study and treatment that would have her and probably prolonged her life doing so.

I don't see anything wrong with trying new treatments along with old. It's the people who think giving up sugar and eating vegetables is going to cure them that are doomed.
    And yes, Jobs would have died either way. In about the same time frame.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you mean it and you're not being sarcastic, I'll support you.

agree. :)

I have friends in real life that chose the juicing route and I just ignore it when they bring it up.

I had a friend in real life who had breast cancer and a good prognosis, who decided to treat it "naturally," until it didn't go away and it was too late to treat it.

OMG. That is horrible. :frown:

Steve Jobs died for the same reason. he had a good prognosis because his cancer was caught very early, but he decided to try alternative cures for a few years before he came to his senses. by that time, it was too late.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2011/10/24/steve-jobs-cancer-treatment-regrets/

For an intelligent man, he sure made some idiotic choices. smdh
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that some people are desperate and in that desperation they subscribe to nonesense ideas. Some times the ideas just waste time, some times they waste money, and sometimes they are harmful to that person's health.

If you know an idea is nonsense, and have evidence/science to back up that view, but say nothing when an OP is all "I'm starting the hot sauce and honey cleanse, anyone else done this/can has support?" then you may be an awful person. I will never, ever, believe it is better to just let people do stupid things then speak up. I will happily be a rude, mean, trolling bully any day of the week over being the person who watches people rush headlong into a brick wall.

Everyone is different. There are many ways to achieve the various goals people have around here. But that doesn't mean some of those ways aren't stupid.
    STraight up! I totally agree.
    Now, when someone's doing something safe, but not of the "iffym" mantra why do folks STILL insist on telling them it's unnecessary and wrong(or mocking them)? That's the only time I object.

Safe but stupid? Because I feel like I specified 'stupid' as the sort of thing I'd speak up against.

Hold on.

Look, I said it twice!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    mom-orange-juice.gif

I love this... I just spammed all my friends with it! LOL.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when someone posts a poorly researched idea, and then forbids anyone with a differing opinion to post in a public thread. That's the best!!
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Some people don't care about the science behind things and it stands to reason that if they get responses other than what they were looking for, they're not going to like it. It is what it is.

I speak up when someone is doing something that I know isn't safe, but I try my best not to be rude about it.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Do what works for YOU, period! No debate needed.

Then don't ask for opinions, because it negates this. Just a tip.
    So choosing a path, and asking for support on that path is always bad? Interesting.

Choosing to jump off a bridge, and asking people to support that this is healthy? Right on. Don't ask a forum to "support" that, because its asinine.

So yes.

Don't.

Wanna eat nothing but flower juice and slugs? Go for it, just don't be shocked when you tell us how lovely it is that there's eye rolling.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you mean it and you're not being sarcastic, I'll support you.

agree. :)

I have friends in real life that chose the juicing route and I just ignore it when they bring it up.

I had a friend in real life who had breast cancer and a good prognosis, who decided to treat it "naturally," until it didn't go away and it was too late to treat it.

OMG. That is horrible. :frown:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2011/10/24/steve-jobs-cancer-treatment-regrets/

For an intelligent man, he sure made some idiotic choices. smdh
    He lived a whole lot longer than most people with pancreatic cancer, though.

It's pretty common for there to be about three months between diagnosis and death.
  • thhay
    thhay Posts: 11
    Options
    So you're giving unsolicited advice to someone who not only didn't ask for it, but doesn't want it, and you wonder why they are not being supportive?
    Someone posting on a message board asking for thoughts and advice is asking for thoughts and advice.

By defnition, that is SOLICITED advice.

You might want to ask for a dictionary for Christmas this year. Or Chanukah. Or your birthday. Whatever you celebrate.

It just so happens that I have a dictionary close by, and while I haven't looked up "unsupportive" just yet, I did look up "rude" and what do you know, there was your picture taking up a whole page. Speaking of unsolicited advice, keep yours to yourself. See what I just did there, I avoided being rude.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I thought he tried both?

Either way, pancreatic cancer has something like a 2% survival rate after five years. I knew someone who had it, caught VERY early and was declared cured. It came back after a year and killed him within weeks. And he was very aggressive with his treatment.

the article i linked said he had one of the rare forms that was likely to be curable, especially since they discovered it so early.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So you're giving unsolicited advice to someone who not only didn't ask for it, but doesn't want it, and you wonder why they are not being supportive?
    Someone posting on a message board asking for thoughts and advice is asking for thoughts and advice.

You might want to ask for a dictionary for Christmas this year. Or Chanukah. Or your birthday. Whatever you celebrate.

It just so happens that I have a dictionary close by, and while I haven't looked up "unsupportive" just yet, I did look up "rude" and what do you know, there was your picture taking up a whole page. Speaking of unsolicited advice, keep yours to yourself. See what I just did there, I avoided being rude.

You don't think the bolded was rude?

Interesting.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I thought he tried both?

What I understood was that he had a very aggressive form of pancreatic cancer with a minimal survival rate and he tried something new. I'm not sure I wouldn't have done what he did.
    My grandmother, who was a doctor, had colon cancer that spread to her liver. She put herself into every new study and treatment that would have her and probably prolonged her life doing so.

I don't see anything wrong with trying new treatments along with old. It's the people who think giving up sugar and eating vegetables is going to cure them that are doomed.

Actually he had neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer. It is HIGHLY treatable. Not at all the type that Patrick Swayze died of (for instance).
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options

I thought he tried both?

Heck, I didn't know you were an oncologist. Not sure you should post online about someone's private medical records though...because you've clearly seen them to make this diagnosis right?
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

:huh:
  • rml_16
    Options

Don't ask for my advice and I won't give it to you.

That would be unsolicited advice.

Your first post in this thread was pretty rude. I only responded in kind. :flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    as the OP of this thread, i still don't feel i'm getting the appropriate amount of support from this community. :cry:

SUPPORT ME!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    as the OP of this thread, i still don't feel i'm getting the appropriate amount of support from this community. :cry:

SUPPORT ME!

I do! Don't get your moist panties in a wad.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    When I want a cosigner on something I would like to do that is not that harmful yet probably not the best idea (something minor like buying an overpriced pair of shoes or something), I text my best friend and say, "I am going to toss out a bad idea, and I need you to agree with me." lol. But I admit that I just want a cosigner on something I have already decided to do. I am fully aware of the possible consequences and willing to accept them. However, if I tossed out an extremely stupid and harmful idea, he would definitely tell me that I was being an idiot instead of blindly agreeing with me. This is why I always ask him and not someone who will just kiss my butt regardless of what I say. I consider this support.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that some people are desperate and in that desperation they subscribe to nonesense ideas. Some times the ideas just waste time, some times they waste money, and sometimes they are harmful to that person's health.

If you know an idea is nonsense, and have evidence/science to back up that view, but say nothing when an OP is all "I'm starting the hot sauce and honey cleanse, anyone else done this/can has support?" then you may be an awful person. I will never, ever, believe it is better to just let people do stupid things then speak up. I will happily be a rude, mean, trolling bully any day of the week over being the person who watches people rush headlong into a brick wall.

Everyone is different. There are many ways to achieve the various goals people have around here. But that doesn't mean some of those ways aren't stupid.
    STraight up! I totally agree.
    Now, when someone's doing something safe, but not of the "iffym" mantra why do folks STILL insist on telling them it's unnecessary and wrong(or mocking them)? That's the only time I object.

Safe but stupid? Because I feel like I specified 'stupid' as the sort of thing I'd speak up against.

Hold on.

Look, I said it twice!
    my comment was general. I didn't say YOU did that. More that I see it happen day in and day out on here. the anti cleansing crap would probably get quashed more quickly here if everyone backed off of the other folks, the "cleans" the "paleos" the "low carbs". But most of those are bashed as well. Again, not saying you do that, frankly, I've never noticed your posts. I'm saying I agree with your post, and added my own caveat.
  • rml_16
    Options

I thought he tried both?

the article i linked said he had one of the rare forms that was likely to be curable, especially since they discovered it so early.
    Here's a bit more detailed info about it. The five-year survival rate is still quite low: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/isletcell/healthprofessional
This discussion has been closed.