Push gift

Replies

• MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    I got my "push gift." My beautiful, healthy, perfect little girl :)

My husband did not buy one for me either. I laughed when I heard about it though.... I think it's silly...
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    I didn't get anything for pushing out my son except an episiotomy.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I didn't get anything for pushing out my son except an episiotomy.

I did get the episiotomy too, and that was not a nice gift to get....

My husband gave me a very nice and sexy gown and robe after my first one was born. The nurse said that it was not a good idea and she was right. Eleven months later I was back in the maternity ward to deliver my second and last baby. The same nurse was there and the first thing that she said was : "I told you so"
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Just give your wife SLEEP! Trust me...that is worth its weight in gold!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Just give your wife SLEEP! Trust me...that is worth its weight in gold!

agreed!!!!!!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    The best push gift you can give your wife is a little help after the baby is born...
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    I work in the birth field and only started hearing about push gifts or presents in the last year, I've been to about 200 births and only heard 1 mom say she was getting a gift, and only a few others mentioned it, but it was as more of a funny thing they heard. I think it really depends on the mom as to if she would appreciate it or not, but I do know that for most moms a supportive partner during labor is the best gift they can get. But like I said it depends on the woman. I think it's the whole idea of giving her flowers of chocolates blown way out of proportion.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I personally think it is ridiculous but to each their own. IF you do a push present something like cleaning the house, doing the cooking etc would be the best IMO.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    First I've ever heard of it and I've had three.
    Now a man that'll get up with the baby in the middle of the night? THAT is a gift!
  • Never heard of it......but it's a nice thought
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    A “push gift”? Da *kitten*?!?!…all I got both times were: an incredibly painful vagina (and a special thank you on that the 2nd time around to my 9lb 6.5oz son with his 13” cranium and broad shoulder that got stuck and required 2 nurses pushing on my abdomen to get it out), a pair of mesh underwear, a maxi pad that went from my nose to the back of my head and was approximately a foot thick, and Tucks medicated pads. Ok…so the medicated pads did become my new best friend for a week or so.

Oh wait, does McDonald’s count?

Omg, I just died!!! :laugh: :drinker:

ETA: I asked my husband what he was going to give me for a push present, knowing that he wouldn't know what it was. He asked me what I wanted, and I told him to buy me a nice pair of running shoes to help me get back in shape post partum. Still using those shoes today! If you're really unsure, just ask her if she'd like anything specific. You can never go wrong with flowers, too. That is, unless she's allergic, I guess.
  • What??!! A gift. Fu^k I got gypped.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    I personally think it is ridiculous but to each their own. IF you do a push present something like cleaning the house, doing the cooking etc would be the best IMO.

That's an interesting thought. The homemade coupon gift would be pretty awesome.
  • A “push gift”? Da *kitten*?!?!…all I got both times were: an incredibly painful vagina (and a special thank you on that the 2nd time around to my 9lb 6.5oz son with his 13” cranium and broad shoulder that got stuck and required 2 nurses pushing on my abdomen to get it out), a pair of mesh underwear, a maxi pad that went from my nose to the back of my head and was approximately a foot thick, and Tucks medicated pads. Ok…so the medicated pads did become my new best friend for a week or so.

Oh wait, does McDonald’s count?

Oh sweet, so I guess I did get a gift, after all. Except I don't recall there being any McDonalds. :grumble:
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    on a similar note, I had a friend who actually put his hand in there and touched the crown. I told him "pfft...yeh, right...you were trying to push it back in, weren't you?"
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    I've had five children, never received a push gift and never expected or wanted one. I think it's ridiculous.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I think it's some weird competitive Pinterest phenomenon, myself... another way to show everyone what an absolutely perfect life and perfect husband you have... I can just imagine the tweets and facebook updates now.

Oh, and don't forget to arrange to have a friend with an almost-professional-photography business come to the birth so they can stage a family photo shoot immediately after the baby emerges and right before the cord is cut. You should probably wear an outfit that coordinates with your wife's hospital gown and the nurses' scrubs so the photos will come out perfect.

I hope your wife has been saving mason jars, toilet paper tubes, corks and burlap sacks since she found out that she's pregnant. I'm sure that she'll want to use her time in between contractions to whip up some wonderful crafts and baby announcements during the downtime.

After the baby arrives, all your friends can rush into the delivery room with a pot-luck array of semi-homemade treats and cocktails and you can present the push present while everyone oohs and ahhs over your fabulous taste in jewelry. You should probably call ahead to let the nurses know your color-scheme so they can decorate the delivery suite accordingly.

I'm pretty sure that the doctor will even okay some labor-inducing drugs so you can send out invitations with the correct date and time of your fabulous birth day.

But, seriously, if you feel in your heart that you should get your wife a gift, by all means do so. But I do think it plays into the whole mama-drama competitive thing. The whole social media pregnancy is just as bad as the modern bridezilla phenomenon.

Bringing a beautiful baby into this world together is the greatest gift you could give to each other. Maybe you should focus on that for a day or so.

Save your money for diapers. LOL
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Wat? I didn't get a gift. What I did get was my husband making sure I was drinking enough water, preparing or picking up high protein meals, reminding me some more about drinking enough water, doing dishes, doing laundry, being my cheerleader when my nips were raw and I was crying through feedings (I can't tell you how much it helps to hear "I'm proud of you. You're doing great"), running to the store to get more lanolin, nursing pads, diaper rash cream, nursing bras and tanks, pads, etc. Then he'd bring me MORE water. He'd peel my soaking shirt off of me (little had reflux and would projectile spew all over after feedings) and try not to get any in my hair, and clean up little while I rinsed off and got dressed.

All of that was the best gift my husband could have given me and I appreciate it so much. If you want to get her something tangible, go ahead, but I don't think it's expected or necessary.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    I've had five children, never received a push gift and never expected or wanted one. I think it's ridiculous.

5 kids? You deserve a medal!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    My husband says he is getting me one.
    He dosen't have to but it seems nice of him :)