To the mean people of MFP... You can say "I told you so"

Options

Replies

• Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Why would it stop if I am in a deficit?

I think maybe what is at work in situations like these where people report suddenly losing weight after a plateau is the "whoosh." I think Lyle McD talks about this effect in one of his articles. Sometimes a "refeed" is enough to break through a plateau. I don't know if there is a whole lot studied on refeeds, but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence. For what it's worth...

Hmmm. Perhaps this is what happened in my case.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    your body needs 1200 just to function....so do i die if i go lower?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    your body needs 1200 just to function....so do i die if i go lower?

Yes. You also die if you go higher. It's kind of a lose/lose situation we're all in.

All the best! :drinker:
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the whole eating more to lose more thing isn't actually about starvation mode, I am pretty sure it is about the fact that if you do end up eating below your BMR then you just don't really have the energy. You might be working out but you aren't giving it the gusto it needs to be effective. By eating a higher amount (but still at a deficit) you have more energy which allows you to have more effective workouts, maybe even longer durations of time. I think it's basically a matter of providing enough energy to get the work done!!!

That's just what I've grasped from what I've read and experienced. I don't really think it's starvation mode per se.

Yep. Furthermore, some people are much more susceptible to this than others.

Also, some people (not necessarily the OP!) who are "failing to lose" at quite low calorie counts and then begin losing at higher calorie counts do so because they are tracking more days a week/going less overboard at "cheat meals"/sneaking fewer "just a taste, doesn't need to track"/in general demonstrating better adherence.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the whole eating more to lose more thing isn't actually about starvation mode, I am pretty sure it is about the fact that if you do end up eating below your BMR then you just don't really have the energy. You might be working out but you aren't giving it the gusto it needs to be effective. By eating a higher amount (but still at a deficit) you have more energy which allows you to have more effective workouts, maybe even longer durations of time. I think it's basically a matter of providing enough energy to get the work done!!!

That's just what I've grasped from what I've read and experienced. I don't really think it's starvation mode per se.

Yep. Furthermore, some people are much more susceptible to this than others.

Also, some people (not necessarily the OP!) who are "failing to lose" at quite low calorie counts and then begin losing at higher calorie counts do so because they are tracking more days a week/going less overboard at "cheat meals"/sneaking fewer "just a taste, doesn't need to track"/in general demonstrating better adherence.

Once again, I can not speak for the OP, but only for myself. When I was eating at 1200 cals I had perfect adherence. I was afraid to eat anything over my cal limit. When I upped calories I loosened up a bit. I eat treats again as long as they fit into my 1800 cals. I eat the foods I love again - if they fit in my day. I have never been one to indulge in cheat meals. Especially now that I am eating the foods I enjoy. I have tracked for over 17 months consistently - every day. It's the only way I know that this really works.
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    Congrats on your success!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Ugh...just hired a trainer and they are telling me to not eat back the calories...time will tell...

I can't allow myself to work my butt off and burn 1,000 calories in a day, and then eat them back. All of that hard work for nothing. The whole concept of dieting is to eat less and/or exercise more. Not exercise more annnd eat more. I'll stick with what has worked for ages and what is working for me right now.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Ugh...just hired a trainer and they are telling me to not eat back the calories...time will tell...

I can't allow myself to work my butt off and burn 1,000 calories in a day, and then eat them back. All of that hard work for nothing. The whole concept of dieting is to eat less and/or exercise more. Not exercise more annnd eat more. I'll stick with what has worked for ages and what is working for me right now.

As long as you realize that this is NOT the way MFP is set up to work.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    so you are saying starvation diets, ketones, and detoxes are not the way to go????
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

That's fine with me. According to MFP, I should only be eating 1,200 calories. I'm 5ft 8 and weighed up to 225 when it said that. I don't really look at MFP as a diet plan, anyway. People on my MFP friends list are on just about every diet and they're losing, and like me, they use MFP to track calories (and other things that they're watching since they're diets and needs are all different), use the forums for advice, and get motivation from others. Congrats on it working for you, though. :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

That's fine with me. According to MFP, I should only be eating 1,200 calories. I'm 5ft 8 and weighed up to 225 when it said that. I don't really look at MFP as a diet plan, anyway. People on my MFP friends list are on just about every diet and they're losing, and like me, they use MFP to track calories (and other things that they're watching since they're diets and needs are all different), use the forums for advice, and get motivation from others. Congrats on it working for you, though. :smile:

Good luck to you...and I mean that

I'm just going to say it...she's lost 101 lbs she must know a little something about something.

When I started I was doing only 1200 and exercising. I did lose weight for awhile. I had 70 lbs to lose. I was hungry more than I thought I should be and was a bit sluggish. The weight finally halted, because I wasn't fueling myself properly. The minute I listened to the mean ones who had lost a lot of weight over the ones who didbg have much to lose who kept saying eat less...I started losing again. So there is definitely something to this eat more move more mentality. Because diets are not sustainable. It has to be a lifestyle change not just an until I reach my goal...because lots of people don't think about what happens after they reach their goal.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Once again, I can not speak for the OP, but only for myself. When I was eating at 1200 cals I had perfect adherence. I was afraid to eat anything over my cal limit. When I upped calories I loosened up a bit. I eat treats again as long as they fit into my 1800 cals. I eat the foods I love again - if they fit in my day. I have never been one to indulge in cheat meals. Especially now that I am eating the foods I enjoy. I have tracked for over 17 months consistently - every day. It's the only way I know that this really works.

Right, this is why I gave two alternatives. The first one (which I notice you ignored to rebut the second one) is that some people are very badly affected by low energy input and their energy expenditure really does slow down quite a ways, to the point where what would normally be a losing diet turns into a maintenance diet. For them, an increase in energy input allows them to increase expenditure by a disproportionate amount (NEAT is especially important here) so that they can resume losing weight.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP! The TDEE method does work, as my ticker shows. It's also much more enjoyable to eat good food of a reasonable quantity, meet my macros/calories & have tons of energy! Stick with it!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Well I am trying to "up" my calories to be around 1450 (have some trouble the past few weeks being consistent) .

I guess I'm reluctant to fully commit because I usually only see people who claim success with this method after 3 or 4 weeks but I never see posts from people who have had long term success with this ( 30 or more lbs or more than a yr).

more than a year. still losing.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this link!! And its great that its working for you!!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options

There are such things as bad trainers that don't know what they are talking about.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Congrats, OP.

:flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I repeat...It's simple math. 1500-500 = 1000 or 1200-500 = 700. Your body needs at least 1200 calories just to function.

Your body needs 1200 calories just to function...

Where are you getting the fact that your body needs 1,200 calories just to function?