PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Eh, I like McDougall and his program has been run in major hospitals for the past 20 years. Why shouldn't he make a buck? I don't work for free either.

I don't care if he makes money off it. However, the profit motive tends to undermine the claims.

When someone is trying to sell you a thing, you can't simply trust them to tell you the truth and the whole truth.

I am not so jaded. That's like saying no business owners have integrity? Making money and being honest are not mutually exclusive concepts. There just are multiple views on how to accomplish goals and that's okay. If I go on the IIFYM website, they "sell" their consulting services. Same thing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eh, I like McDougall and his program has been run in major hospitals for the past 20 years. Why shouldn't he make a buck? I don't work for free either.

I don't care if he makes money off it. However, the profit motive tends to undermine the claims.

When someone is trying to sell you a thing, you can't simply trust them to tell you the truth and the whole truth.

I am not so jaded. That's like saying no business owners have integrity? Making money and being honest are not mutually exclusive concepts. There just are multiple views on how to accomplish goals and that's okay. If I go on the IIFYM website, they "sell" their consulting services. Same thing.

Didn't say he was lying. Said you can't simply trust him.

Besides his claims are stupid. Toxic levels of protein? In dairy? Oils cause obesity? The whole thing is stupid.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Besides his claims are stupid. Toxic levels of protein? In dairy? Oils cause obesity? The whole thing is stupid.

Who CAN you trust then? Just about every single scientist, doctor, nutritionist, etc. in the world makes money from giving their advice on what to eat, what's healthy, how to live, etc. So how do YOU determine how to eat and live to be healthy and happy that doesn't rely on anyone who makes money from their work? Unless you're doing all the tests yourself you have nothing to go on.

You also really seem to enjoy saying things are stupid without any further justification; you do realize that's not an argument right? Presumably those claims have rationale behind them (haven't personally looked at it); where's your rationale? Throughout the large bulk of this thread you've been content to sit by and criticize other lifestyles as doing things for no reason or being stupid, demanding that we justify our lives to you, without providing any justification or even logical argument for your own point of view. Now personally I think we can have and share opinions without needing to back them up, but there's a limit to that and you've more than reached it.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Who CAN you trust then? Just about every single scientist, doctor, nutritionist, etc. in the world makes money from giving their advice on what to eat, what's healthy, how to live, etc. So how do YOU determine how to eat and live to be healthy and happy that doesn't rely on anyone who makes money from their work? Unless you're doing all the tests yourself you have nothing to go on.

You also really seem to enjoy saying things are stupid without any further justification; you do realize that's not an argument right? Presumably those claims have rationale behind them (haven't personally looked at it); where's your rationale? Throughout the large bulk of this thread you've been content to sit by and criticize other lifestyles as doing things for no reason or being stupid, demanding that we justify our lives to you, without providing any justification or even logical argument for your own point of view. Now personally I think we can have and share opinions without needing to back them up, but there's a limit to that and you've more than reached it.

Well it's easier to trust people who aren't trying to sell you the thing they're trying to convince you is great.

Trust science. Scientific papers. People that aren't trying to sell you books and subscriptions. Physicians who are NOT celebrities orauthors . Dietitians who don't make money selling you their special book.

Trust yourself. Read research. Draw your own conclusions.

And if you feel I have to justify saying "poultry has toxic levels of protein and fat" stupid, then....I don't know what to say to that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You know what's really funny? People who aren't Paleo/Primal/etc. trying to tell people who are how their own lifestyle works. Instead of holding yourselves up as experts who somehow know more about these plans than the people actually on them or the ones who started them, maybe realize you're not perfect and all knowing. Trying to argue a food doesn't fit on the Paleo plan when it's clearly stated as fitting is just ridiculous.

It would probably be best if it changed its name from paleo, because nothing about it is paleo.

Many paleo advocates have said as much too. The name is very unfortunate and problematic.

(Disclaimer: I was very "paleo" for all of calendar year 2012...(and yes, logged it all).)
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Well it's easier to trust people who aren't trying to sell you the thing they're trying to convince you is great.

Trust science. Scientific papers. People that aren't trying to sell you books and subscriptions. Physicians who are NOT celebrities orauthors . Dietitians who don't make money selling you their special book.

Trust yourself. Read research. Draw your own conclusions.

And if you feel I have to justify saying "poultry has toxic levels of protein and fat" stupid, then....I don't know what to say to that.

You don't think the scientists, doctors, etc. that write those scientific papers aren't making money off of them? Look at how much of that science has been skewed in order to make a profit or benefit a business, etc. I agree with your basic point of doing your research and drawing your own conclusions, but your premise of scientists and non-celebrity doctors being trustworthy while celebrities and dietitians that have written something based on what they think is true somehow aren't. I agree we need to take everything someone says with a grain of salt because most people have motives beyond just helping others altruistically, but there's a difference between that and somehow making someone's point of view stupid and not worth looking into simply because they also make money from it. Everyone you'd be reading information from in the industry of health and nutrition is making money off of it somehow.

I don't disagree with you about it likely being untrue (since that's how I interpret you saying it's stupid), I just think you apply the word stupid too broadly to too many things without any justification. You automatically assume your own point of view is correct, and so correct so as to not even require backing up - the simple fact that you say something is stupid somehow makes it so according to your arguments. That's both ridiculous and completely useless in a discussion.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yes lack of cake is going to be quite the problem i'd imagine haha :)

you don't have to totally cut out sweets, just sub stuff out, like coconut flour in place of wheat flour. the coconut is pretty high in fat, but it's REALLY low in carbs.

I just started Paleo on Monday, and yes it is expensive. but as long as you can afford, have google and/or are creative, it isn't restrictive at all. I made Paleo spaghetti by taking a julienne slicer to a sweet potato and using that as my noodles. I also used baked chicken instead of sausage, but that's just what i had on hand.

annnnnnnd between monday morning and tuesday morning i lost nearly 2lbs lol. i don't know if it'll stick, but it was just an observation
  • Twiglet2016
    Twiglet2016 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just tuned into Paleo too thanks to another member on MFP. Have a look at Mark Sisson's site - lots of free info and some feedback. Good luck.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Just because I can separate a plan from its creator and not immediately assume a personal flaw in the man equals a flaw in the plan doesn't somehow make me a blind follower. I've done my research, I take the parts of the Primal Blueprint that I like and leave the ones I don't.

Sounds like this...

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.”
    –Bruce Lee
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You know what's really funny? People who aren't Paleo/Primal/etc. trying to tell people who are how their own lifestyle works. Instead of holding yourselves up as experts who somehow know more about these plans than the people actually on them or the ones who started them, maybe realize you're not perfect and all knowing. Trying to argue a food doesn't fit on the Paleo plan when it's clearly stated as fitting is just ridiculous.

It would probably be best if it changed its name from paleo, because nothing about it is paleo.

Many paleo advocates have said as much too. The name is very unfortunate and problematic.

(Disclaimer: I was very "paleo" for all of calendar year 2012...(and yes, logged it all).)

I think the name ancestral has been floating around. Which encompasses a much broader scope...
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I keep looking at nomnompaleo.com and see all of these paleo recipes... It certainly has my interest.

My only thing is budget. I don't have a whole lot of cash flow in (I try to keep my food cost to $50 a week), and we all know how expensive any meat can be.

Good luck to whatever you decide. I'm keeping an eye on this thread however for any frugal paleo tips.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

It seems we spend a lot of time arguing names jonny doesn't like.
    I personally don't like "lift heavy". Doesn't mean I don't lift.
    Folks: eat how you think you can best lose weight and more importantly MAINTAIN or TRANSITION to a way you can maintain. Don't fret about the name.
    South Beach way of life really has nothing to do with South Beach (other than the doctor's office location) yet many folks here are eating in a way that closely mirrors the plan.
    Who cares what it's called.
    If it works for you, and you enjoy what you're eating, ignore the feckers.
  • jonnythan
    Options

It seems we spend a lot of time arguing names jonny doesn't like.
    I personally don't like "lift heavy". Doesn't mean I don't lift.
    Folks: eat how you think you can best lose weight and more importantly MAINTAIN or TRANSITION to a way you can maintain. Don't fret about the name.
    South Beach way of life really has nothing to do with South Beach (other than the doctor's office location) yet many folks here are eating in a way that closely mirrors the plan.
    Who cares what it's called.
    If it works for you, and you enjoy what you're eating, ignore the feckers.

I agree.

Eat what you enjoy. That's the whole point of all this! Eat what you like, and don't avoid foods you like because they're "not paleo" or "not clean" or whatever.

Avoiding foods because some fad diet with a cute name says they're bad is a terrible idea.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat what you enjoy. That's the whole point of all this! Eat what you like, and don't avoid foods you like because they're "not paleo" or "not clean" or whatever.

Avoiding foods because some fad diet with a cute name says they're bad is a terrible idea.

It always bothers me when people say "eat whatever you like" or "eat what you want". It so subjective without knowing what one likes or wants.

While I do agree that one should enjoy their meals, there is a certain balance that is optimal for health. And there is a certain imbalance that is greatly increases risk of disease.
  • jonnythan
    Options

It always bothers me when people say "eat whatever you like" or "eat what you want". It so subjective without knowing what one likes or wants.

While I do agree that one should enjoy their meals, there is a certain balance that is optimal for health. And there is a certain imbalance that is greatly increases risk of disease.

Yes, and the balance is determined by nutrient content. Hence the phrase "if it fits your macros."

To achieve the right balance, focus on nutrients not labels.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

Yes, and the balance is determined by nutrient content. Hence the phrase "if it fits your macros."

I honestly don't know much about IIFYM, but I assume that you set a calorie goal and macro percentage goals and go from there. My question is, what about micro-nutrients? What about things like your Omega 3:6 ratio? What about nutrient absorption and bio-availability? Are all of these considered?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know much about IIFYM, but I assume that you set a calorie goal and macro percentage goals and go from there. My question is, what about micro-nutrients? What about things like your Omega 3:6 ratio? What about nutrient absorption and bio-availability? Are all of these considered?

You set macro goals, hit those first.
    Then consume more calories to meet a target caloric goal.

You get those micros from the foods you eat....
    So for Omega 3/6's, you can do fish and nuts.....or other various oils/fats.

So for example,
    I would base my IIFYM on my protein and fat and then adjust carbs for the remainder of my calories.
    I want 200 gr of protein == 800 calories
    I want 72gr of fat == 648 calories.
    Now my target caloric intake will be 2800 calories.
    So by taking out those calories from fat and protein, I am left with 1352 calories.
    Now I can make that all up in carbs == 338 gr
    Or,
    I can do some in carbs, and some in fat and some in protein.....
    Just where ever I wish to get those remaining calories.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You can track and plan any or all of those things. I personally don't think tracking most micronutrients is much to worry about. If you're hitting your macros and getting a few servings of fruits and veggies every day then I think you're doing fine. Focus on a micronutrient if you actually demonstrate a deficiency in that nutrient.

The entire point of IIFYM as an eating philosophy is that it's the nutrients that matter, so pay attention to the nutrients that matter to you (or that you believe matter to you). If you're particularly concerned about vitamin D or omega 3:6 ratio, then it makes sense to pay attention to those things directly instead of adopting some restrictive diet that, by proxy, may help manage those things.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But people may not want to eat the recommended nutrient ratio. So, it is more than just "eat what you like".

And even if you hit the desired macro ratio, you could still be deficient in many micronutrients. Eating to reduce disease risk is more than just "eat whatever you like within these macro goals".
  • rockinjennydee
    rockinjennydee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Paleo and was strict with a 21 day challenge through my crossfit bootcamp...I lost 21 lbs in 21 days and in the past I had NEVER EVER lost that much doing ANYTHING! I firmly believe in the program and still continue to do it - although I haven't been "as good" for the past few weeks...I'm gonna try to lose another 20 lbs by the end of the year though!