Do you leash your kid?

Options

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Sounds easier to give them a phone with GPS and only certain allowed numbers to keep track of them lol. (But then again, I had a cellphone for the majority of my life)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Sounds easier to give them a phone with GPS and only certain allowed numbers to keep track of them lol. (But then again, I had a cellphone for the majority of my life)

Great! - you can track your 2 year old as they are run over by a car.
  • ThePlight
    Options

Great! - you can track your 2 year old as they are run over by a car.
    Oh, you should definitely do it. Go for it, if you want to leave someone that young alone.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I love the people who say the only people who do this are fat and lazy when you can tell from the pictures that most of the people who said they have used one are not overweight, have multiple young kids, etc.

I also love how many people criticize, but don't have kids. And, the ones that do and are older (and not from this generation of "cell phone use" etc.) were you the parent who toted kids to doctors appointments and grocery stores? Just curious.

Like I said, I used one one time and felt silly, but was also grossly pregnant and in pain. Something that a lot with such strong opinions also don't get.

Yeah. I look really fat and lazy don't I?

What makes me laugh is the amount of people judging for using reins, therefore allowing their child to be active in a safe manner, yet no-one bats an eyelid when people mention keeping a 5 year old in a stroller.

In England, it is rare to see a child above 3 in a stroller, and if they are then they would get second glances, and at 4 or 5 you'd probably think they had some sort of special need or disability. No wonder the US has such obesity problems if it is normal for a 5 year old to sit in a stroller....

Reins are usually used up to about 2.5 here, not usually any older. By that age they have had enough practise walking outside to have some common sense and road sense. If they were kept restrained in a stroller they wouldn't get that practise.

I'd far rather see a child waking in reins than being kept in a pushchair. Luckily I live in England where reins are not judged like this, and people walk a lot!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I live in the uk and as the previous poster said more people seem inclined to let children walk with reins here. I don't have kids, but I think it is a good idea to keep them under control and on the same basis I walk my dog on a lead as although she would walk to heel I like to know I have control I would walk kids on leads as they may hold hands but they may also just slip away very easily.

I live in a big city and often in the city centre I am tripping over people's kids with no idea who they belong to or where they should be. How can a parent who is not in physical contact with the child stop it from getting run over? And if you are shopping or whatever surely the best most effective thing is to have reins on it. I truly can't understand why people get so horrified by it. I love my dogs and want to keep them safe so I take full responsibilty for that and put them on leads. Parents should not be relying on other people to keep their kids safe by not walking in to them, not running them over, not jostling them out of the way etc which is what you are doing if you do not have adequate restraint

Parents also should not use prams to stop traffic. How many times do you see people waiting to cross the road with a pram and the pram is shoved out in the road so the parent can stand on the pavement and look for traffic. I would hope that the pram contains the most precious thing in your world and that you would gladly give up your life for your child's so just think about what you are doing!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids and never intend to use one, it looks humiliating! Poor kids, yes it is understandable that it makes it easier so your kids don't run out in the road, BUT it is also called paying attention. That is what, eyes, ears, and hands are for, you can use all your senses to watch your kid and hold their hand. :laugh:
  • Hyperosim
    Options
    I don't have any children, though I did try using a leash for one of my pets once...didn't go over well. That's because my pet didn't like it. However, you see other pets with no problem using a leash.
    I think the same goes with children. I once saw a women at the grocery store who had her mentally handicapped child in a leash. The child appeared to have no qualm with using the leash, and neither did the mother. It all comes down to parenting, and just what works for each individual.
    So...hakuna matata, really.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I live in the uk and as the previous poster said more people seem inclined to let children walk with reins here. I don't have kids, but I think it is a good idea to keep them under control and on the same basis I walk my dog on a lead as although she would walk to heel I like to know I have control I would walk kids on leads as they may hold hands but they may also just slip away very easily.

I live in a big city and often in the city centre I am tripping over people's kids with no idea who they belong to or where they should be. How can a parent who is not in physical contact with the child stop it from getting run over? And if you are shopping or whatever surely the best most effective thing is to have reins on it. I truly can't understand why people get so horrified by it. I love my dogs and want to keep them safe so I take full responsibilty for that and put them on leads. Parents should not be relying on other people to keep their kids safe by not walking in to them, not running them over, not jostling them out of the way etc which is what you are doing if you do not have adequate restraint

Parents also should not use prams to stop traffic. How many times do you see people waiting to cross the road with a pram and the pram is shoved out in the road so the parent can stand on the pavement and look for traffic. I would hope that the pram contains the most precious thing in your world and that you would gladly give up your life for your child's so just think about what you are doing!

ALL of this! I had one kid I had to leash, the other I did not. The one would pinch and bite our hands trying to get away (she hated having her hand held!) and the second we freed our hands from her mouth, she was off like a shot. Everyone was happier when she was on a leash.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I don't have kids and never intend to use one, it looks humiliating! Poor kids, yes it is understandable that it makes it easier so your kids don't run out in the road, BUT it is also called paying attention. That is what, eyes, ears, and hands are for, you can use all your senses to watch your kid and hold their hand. :laugh:

Key words here - 'I don't have kids'. Wait until you do and then pass judgement thanks.

Tell you what, you can look after my 2 year old daughter for a day and then come back to me with your opinion.
  • paperpudding
    Options

Key words here - 'I don't have kids'. Wait until you do and then pass judgement thanks.

Tell you what, you can look after my 2 year old daughter for a day and then come back to me with your opinion.

Actually have several children at the same time or several different children, you know, not all of them are placid happy hand holders.
    I love the way you have no kids yourself but you know how easy it is to just pay attention. :laugh:

If using leash/reins works for some people, good for them.

I've seen many happy children here with those cute back packs with the long tails - they don't look humiliating at all.
    You have no kids but you know what humiliates a toddler,.
    What rot.
  • pennelope515
    Options
    My mom had to leash me when I was a toddler because anytime we were in public, I would run into the men's bathroom. :blushing:
  • roxylola
    Options
    I had reins actually, didn't find it humiliating I thought it was pretty cool to be like the dog actually!
  • ThePlight
    Options
    I had reins actually, didn't find it humiliating I thought it was pretty cool to be like the dog actually!
    Haha, that is the cutest thing I've ever read :)
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When you have two hands to hold onto at the same time, you damn well bet I leashed them (twins).

I have two children.. and two hands. I've never leashed my children and we have spent plenty of times in airports, zoos and even foreign countries.

Rather than leashing them I taught them when they needed to stay close, and disciplined them when they didn't.

Why do you care how other people raise their kids?

totally this. Well done you for being SOOOO amazing, we all bow down. Or we don't, we just think you're a self satisfied bore.

The bottom line is, mind your own business. In my very humble opinion.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I do find the people that say they "don't" leash their kids, but have a backpack with a tail on it, and they hang on to that crack me up. You use these backpacks, and see it as a thethering device, I am not referring to you.

"You can put lipstick on it, and call it Monique, but a pig is still a pig." - Ann Richards ( I love this quote)
  • roxylola
    Options
    And whoever had 2 children and 2 hands clearly never needed to push a supermarket trolley, carry luggage or anything like that.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    And whoever had 2 children and 2 hands clearly never needed to push a supermarket trolley, carry luggage or anything like that.

Maybe they are like an octopus and have 8 arms?!

I have 2 kids. There is no way I can get them both out safely, across busy roads, with 2 scooters, a changing bag etc, without the youngest one restrained in some way! The 4 year old I can trust.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to use a backpack leash on my kid because he just so happened to not be a runner but I absolutely would have if he was. I don't see a big issue with it, most kids on leashes are 2ish I don't think they'll be too scarred for life from the experience lol. My cousin, however, is scarred for life after being hit by a car and having 7 surgeries before the age of 3.
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love when people leash their kids, especially at amusement parks....I immediately snap a pic and mock them on FB.

I have 2 young ones, never used a leash, everyone still alive. :flowerforyou:
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I love when people leash their kids, especially at amusement parks....I immediately snap a pic and mock them on FB.

I have 2 young ones, never used a leash, everyone still alive. :flowerforyou:

I had 3 kids, all still alive and I didn't use leashes either but I don't award myself a medal for that or have any objections to those who do use them.
    Any more than any other item or technique which I happened not to use but which worked for others.

I hope your first sentence isn't serious - that really would be quite pathetic.