Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I guess this was supposed to be a complement and maybe I should take it that way - but I can't!

Apparently, I appear to have lost the amount of weight of that of another person! I guess technically I have given that the average weight of a baby (a person) born is between 6 and 8 pounds so my 60 or so pounds lost could be considered that of another person. But I wonder does that person that is trying to lose 5 or 10 pounds every think of it as losing weight that could be another person?
  • mystmaker143
    Options
    Just recently I went to a department store I used to work at, and I tend to be a friendly person, so I'll go up and say hello or give hugs to some of my former coworkers. One of them looked at me and her mouth dropped opened and she exclaimed" What Happened!" I was like "what? is something on my clothes?" (I thought there was a stain or something more embarrassing like tissue on my shoe or something like that) In the middle of my nervous scan of my clothing searching for the imaginary stain, she said "No, no that's not it... you lost weight!" I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be complimented or dismayed at the comment! lol I took it as a compliment because I think she was in shock, even amidst the large amount of people watching the exchange. I said "yeh I lost some weight!" then I made a quick exit only to get confronted by another coworker on the same thing, except this was an older gentleman, a real sweetheart and he said "Wow you looking good!" The amazing thing is I'd totally gotten so comfortable in my new size that I literally had forgotten that it might be a shock to some people! What I don't like and have gotten from family is if someone sees me snacking on sweets of any kind its like a terrible thing, I'm like "dude you don't actually think I cut out sweets do you, that's not happening my sweet tooth is eternal, I just dont gorge myself on it all the time like i use to!"
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I seriously want to crack a b**** when they ask, "Are you on drugs?" Alas, I just smile and say, "Fitness is my drug!" Another one is, "I can tell you lost some weight. I hope you don't gain it all back." Like, how inconsiderate can someone be? Rude much! Haha :)

28963433.png
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this counts or not... but I moved away for a year and lost a lot of weight.. so when I came back, neither one of my parents recognized me. They thought I was one of my sisters friends and took a good while to figure out that it was me. lol

Are you kidding me?! Lol xD
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    " You lost all your curves" -my sister
    Seriously, I'm a hourglass shape with 24" waist, C cups and 37" hips. Curves are there, believe you me.
    The fact that some people think you need to be overweight to have curves is crazy and annoying. :angry:
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I get asked if I've been unwell! I've lost so much weight they think the only way I could look the way I do is to have been suffering from some kind of illness. Actually, its the opposite of illness, its wellness. Eating very well and exercising every day. In other words it's been hard work, not passive illness. Thankyou very much!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    If I had people telling me that, or asking rude questions, I'd probably say something like "Oh, totally had my stomach taken out, so I only have intestines left" just for the heck of it lol. Sort of makes me wonder if there are people that would believe that one.
  • tula1980
    Options
    I get the ridiculous cup cake comments too. Why do people get awfully offended if you say "looks delicious but not for me thanks"?

1. I don't actually even like cupcakes.
    2. Dairy and excessive amounts of egg are both triggers for my IBD, I'm not going to spend 2-3 days in agony by eating a cupcake.
    3. I'm 'spending' all my calories on major protein at the moment as I'm lifting and feel I need it to contain my appetite.

The way in which some women treat you when you are smaller than they are is something I'll never understand. I would be very sad to be in such a dark place as that.
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I used to be astounded by the things people said when I first lost weight. I lost around 70lb having struggled with my weight since I was about 10 years old. The usual, don't lose any more, you're wasting away, one person said I reminded them of a baby as my head looked so big now compared to my body. These comments usually all from people that would have commented that you needed to lose weight in the first place, but the best 2 encounters were as follows.
    Saw this girl hadn't seen for ages and she was like, "oh my goodness i can't believe how much weight you've lost. You were always FAT weren't you, even when you were at school?" Erm what? Second was my hairdresser who said, "Wow you look like you just unzipped yourself from a fatsuit!" Funny what people's idea of a compliment is!
    Anyway you can't really win, if you don't eat something they go on about you not eating it, if you do eat it they go on about how they didn't think you would be eating that!
  • Strangegirlz
    Options
    I love my grandmother, with all of my heart, but she always has picked on my weight.

I think my favorite comment from her though was ,

" Wow mandy You look really good! Now You Only have one chin, You used to have three!!"

FML lmao

It's always the grannys, my granny is the worst. Comments like this along with remarks when I ate anything, then when I started being healthy and lost weight she would go on and on about how I wasn't eating properly and my face was scrawny. She's adorable though!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I wonder if people don't realise that some people don't want to hear this stuff. It's nice when someone says "You're looking good today" ect but the wasting away and rude comments... I just don't understand why people say them =/ I still just smile and say I have a long way to go before i'm healthy. I guess that's all we really can do.

I think it would be okay to tell your family exactly what you've said here... that you really don't want to hear that stuff, the wasting away and rude comments, that the compliments and support are nice, but to stop the rest.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I posted a photo of myself in a new outfit on Facebook the other day and was amazed at how many people (who haven't seen me for years) thought they could post opinions about my body. I felt like a minor celebrity! 'You've gone too far' 'You're wasting away' ect but there was a few nice comments too. I'm really not sure why people think they have the right to comment on such a personal thing but for the most part, I just ignored their comments. The only person who's comments affect me are my OH's as my weight loss has made him feel insecure, I guess due to my increased confidence and various items of clothing in the wardrobe that I would never have considered wearing before. He does affectionately call me his little twig now but I'm cool with that lol.
  • Strangegirlz
    Options
    she routinely gets people who ask her if she's expecting...

As a guy, I learned a long time ago: Unless you see a baby poking out from between her legs, never, ever, ever comment, assuming a woman is pregnant. :embarassed:

So true, even if it seems very obvious. I have a friend, she is so skinny in her legs and has no bum, but a lot of excess weight round her middle. She gets asked daily
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the above - it's a strange phenomenon! I think it can come from not only a place of jealousy, but also friends and family worry that if you change so dramatically on the outside, you won't be the same person on the inside.

I remember when I was a kid my mum lost a tonne of weight. Everyone was complimenting her and congratulating her...but I hated it, I felt like she wasn't the same mum I had known my whole life! She looked different, dressed differently and had a new air of confidence which meant she acted a little differently too. I was only 9 or so, so didn't really "get it", but it makes me see where that kind of behaviour comes from.

Great perspective.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    People just should not make comments about weight. At all. When I see someone who looks like they have lost weight I may tell them they look great or I love their outfit on them,etc, but I think weight related comments are just rude. Although maybe its because I grew up on a household where everyone commented on each other's weight constantly. Ugh. Not doing that to my kids.
    Anyway, my point is, loss or gain...dont comment. Maybe they are sick and dont mean to be losing, maybe they are pregnant and have gained a few but dont want to make it public yet. You just never know.

THIS. If you must comment, tell them they look nice. *Anything else is none of your business.* It might feel like your business because you can see a change, but they don't have a choice about whether or not you see that change. It's often a very private battle that they are forced to carry out in public because it impacts the way they look to other people.

There will be people who enjoy being asked about their weight loss, but these are the people who will tell you they lost weight when you tell them they look nice, which opens the door to whatever else you might want to (politely) ask about or comment on.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've reached my goal weight this week and have been really pleased with myself. Then on Thursday, at my Art Group, I was taken aside by the chairman who looked very serious and said to me "Promise me you won't lose any more weight!" This really deflated me as my BMI is just over 24 so I'm not wasting a way!
    How dare people say things like that!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I work from home so no one in the office has seen me in a few months. At Christmas this year, I hope to surprise some relatives. I'll post the reactions. You go Girl.
  • angie007az
    Options
    Lynnerack, Jealousy is such an ugly emotion. I'm proud of you.
  • angie007az
    Options
    A co-worker once said to me... "If you could just gain weight in your face"
    Hahahaha.

Now that is rude. Hope you laughed in her face.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!!! I get comments from "friends" all the time that are meant to be nice, I guess but they sound to me like they're just jealous. For example..."You're too skinny!" You should probably stop posting about your weight loss so much on Facebook. People are gonna start hating you for it! WTF!!!! And these people are my friends???? :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!