How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Replies

• skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Not sure it's possible to burn that in an hour

It is. Your weight and the activity/how hard you work out play a large role in this.

At 183 lbs I burnt 885 calories in 55 mins during a 5k race

Wow I only burn about 280 running a 5k. I've read a rough estimate is 100 cal per mile.

I just burned 2213 net during my half marathon Sunday. That's way more than 100 calories per mile.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

It is. Your weight and the activity/how hard you work out play a large role in this.

Wow I only burn about 280 running a 5k. I've read a rough estimate is 100 cal per mile.

You are much closer - 185 pounds doing 3 miles is under 400 calories.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Doing all of the above while wearing a weighted vest would up the cals a bit maybe?
    (If you don't injure yourself in the process.)

IV200comp.jpg

Dude looks like he'll be ok if someone starts taking shots at him on his morning run.....

Seriously though, why would you want to burn a specific amount of calories in a specific amount of time? Was this ever addressed by the OP?

I would suggest that the "swimmers shoulder" was the result of trying to achieve such unrealistic burns in the first place. Time to change that mentality before it leads to a second chronic injury?

We used to have to do that in the military I dont miss those runs at all and now that I am out I prefer to only run if I am being chased otherwise I will stick with other forms of cardio. However I love to swim and I started to increase the amount of days I would swim and I would gradually try to increase my intensity so I would not plateau, unfortunately my body had other plans in mind and yes thats why I got the injury. I have since been using the elyptical and the bike and I burn around 400-600 cals an hour but I feel like I am not doing anything. Im not tense the next day and my body doesnt feel like I am inproving therefore I am trying to make my workouts harder so I feel like I am accomplishing something. 1000 calories was just a target to reach for since I already burn 400-600 no reason in particular

If you just want to have it be intense and feel it, do fast all-out ballet for an hour. I don't know how many calories it burns, but you'll definitely feel it. The strength and CDV health required is amazing. You'd be using way more muscles than elliptical or a bike. Get those jumps up high! And have fun (if land full-body stuff is your thing at all)! :)
  • A hour with my trainer, my HRM will show anywhere from 1000-1200 calories burned. No way I believe this. (It does have a chest strap, but I'm still skeptical.) I usually mark anywhere from 7-800. But I am also "big" and when I'm there I get my *kitten* kicked. It's non stop for 1 hour straight and my heart rate is anywhere from 180-220 the full hour. I know I'm working big time. You're smaller. It'll take a LOT of work to get that kind of burn.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Yeah I have never burned 1,000 in an hour. I wish I could, but it's impossible for me. It might take 90 minutes or so to burn 1,000 depending on what workouts I'm doing & how much my heart-rate gets up.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member

I just burned 2213 net during my half marathon Sunday. That's way more than 100 calories per mile.

Wow, how much do you weigh? In a 10 mile run I only burn 900-1000 and I run a 9:00-10:00 pace.
  • booradleymo
    booradleymo Posts: 11 Member
    Here, here! I second the Nordic (cross-country) skiing. Also, snowshoeing will help you burn a lot of calories. I had to do some research outside of mfp to find an accurate measurement of calories burned snow-shoeing, but it was close to 1000/hour, if you have some uphill and are breaking new ground through freshly fallen snow while using poles the number goes up. Though if you don't live in a snowy place these ideas might not help much. :P
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    I normally burn over 1000 cals in an hour. I wear a HR monitor. I do 20 minutes of running 6.5 MPH 1.0 incline then increase the incline to 15.0 and reduce the speed to 4.3 for the next 40 minutes. After an hour the treadmill says I burnt 1300-1400 cals but my HR monitor says somewhere around 1100-1200. I always go with the HR monitor.
    I am 6'1 255lbs

Definetly not impossible!
  • an hour of deadlifts
    goodluck
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Used to be able to burn over 1, 000 calories in an hour - but as I lost weight and my cardiovascular system got fitter the calorie burns have been getting lower and lower!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    You don't. Even calories burned calculated by heart rate monitors are wildly inaccurate. Even most seasoned athletes don't burn more than 13 cals per minute.

But! But! But! Doesn't your weight have something to do with it? True, the heavier you are the more cals you are going to burn but also it's not very likely that you are able to sustain the same intensity as aforementioned seasoned athlete for the same duration of time, therefore the cals burned would be lower.
  • mikej1978
    You don't. Even calories burned calculated by heart rate monitors are wildly inaccurate. Even most seasoned athletes don't burn more than 13 cals per minute.

But! But! But! Doesn't your weight have something to do with it? True, the heavier you are the more cals you are going to burn but also it's not very likely that you are able to sustain the same intensity as aforementioned seasoned athlete for the same duration of time, therefore the cals burned would be lower.

What data do you have to back this up?

You can calculate your total calorie burn per mile of walking by simply multiplying your weight by 0.53. For instance, if you weigh 200 pounds then your total burn would be 106 calories per mile, but if you weigh 175 pounds, you will burn a total of 93 calories. A 125-pound person will use even less energy, burning about 67 calories per mile of walking.

Get Running

If you run you'll burn more calories per mile than you will walking. The formula for total calories burned per mile of running is 0.75 times your weight in pounds. At this rate a 200-pound person burns about 150 calories per mile. A lighter 175-pound person will burn 131 calories per mile, while a 125-pound person will burn just 94 calories per mile.

So for a 250lb man that runs 6mph for 1 hour he will have burned 1125 calories. I dont see how you can say no matter what effort you put in you wont burn more than 13 cals/min
  • a_stronger_me13
    Running might be the only exception to my generalization. But for your average joe, I'm sorry, you're not burning 1000 cals on the elliptical in an hour. I don't use it to actually calculate calorie burns, I use the cals per minute to spot check the ridiculous estimates produced by MFP and most heart rate monitors. Unless your HRM is accounting for your individual VO2 max as well as your body stats then anything it calcs out is also just an estimate, and probably not a very accurate one especially if you aren't performing steady state cardio.

So I apologize that I have no data other than a few articles written about calorie burns of athletes and that my original post was a little cynical, but the calories people claim they burn on here and then also eat back and then wonder why they can't lose weight gets a little ridiculous.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I might be making some generalizations but I don't see how your "simple" factors times body weight are any less unsupported than my generalization that your average joe probably isn't burning more than 13 cals per min.

The formula he mentioned comes from empirical studies, it's readily google-able. The full set of equations is...

Gross calorie burn (running): 0.75 * body weight in pounds * miles run
    Net calorie burn (running): 0.63 * body weight in pounds * miles run

Gross calorie burn (walking): 0.53 * body weight in pounds * miles walked
    Net calorie burn (walking): 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked

Those are all going to be approximations for any given individual, of course, but for most people the error is much lower than from using uncalibrated HRMs.

It's that last one that really gets new dieters and exercisers in trouble, as walking for short periods of time burns virtually nothing, despite elevated heart rates, yet folks are getting bombarded with "eat it back" advice that blows away their planned deficits.

As a rule of thumb, if an individual can't run far enough, fast enough to burn 1000 calories running, then the odds are extremely low that they can burn 1000 calories doing any other activity, either. Which gives us a quick and dirty way of estimating calorie burn for other types of exercise - figure out how far you could have run in the same time frame, calculate the calorie burn for that hypothetical run, and use that (or better, a percentage of that) as an upper bound for your burn.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Edited my reply after doing some searching.
  • mikej1978
    Doing a decent pace (4.3mph) at a 15% incline is a real calorie killer! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I belive you can do that by running.

If you can run at a proper speed for one hour.

A 200lb person would have to run at approximately 8mph for 1 hr to achieve a net calorie burn of 1,000

.63 x weight in lbs x distance in miles (Source: Runners World)

Ooops, I see Damir00 beat me to it.......
  • booradleymo
    booradleymo Posts: 11 Member
    I found this slideshow in a Huffington Post article that shows what the top ten calorie-burning exercises are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/grace-nasri/top-10-exercises-that-bur_b_799074.html

If you can burn 1000 calories swimming for an hour, you obviously know how to push yourself. Look over the list, there might be something that interests you.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Hiking and swimming. But I'm a big guy, so it doesn't take that long for me to burn that much. Still they are two of the higher calorie burning exercises I can think of.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Zumba