How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So for a 250lb man that runs 6mph for 1 hour he will have burned 1125 calories. I dont see how you can say no matter what effort you put in you wont burn more than 13 cals/min

How many 250 lb men can sustain 6mph for an hour? I sure couldn't when I was 235....

and you're calculating gross calories expended which includes BMR (which is also what most HMRs calculate) your net calories expended (which is what really counts) would be

.63 x 250 x 6 = 945 which, granted, is very close to the 1,000 goal.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Probably not many, I can. 6 mph really isnt that hard to sustain but I guess a 5'6 250 male is alot different than a 250lb 6'2 male. LOL
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    So for a 250lb man that runs 6mph for 1 hour he will have burned 1125 calories. I dont see how you can say no matter what effort you put in you wont burn more than 13 cals/min

How many 250 lb men can sustain 6mph for an hour? I sure couldn't when I was 235....

and you're calculating gross calories expended which includes BMR (which is also what most HMRs calculate) your net calories expended (which is what really counts) would be

.63 x 250 x 6 = 945 which, granted, is very close to the 1,000 goal.
    I sustained 5.2 MPH for 2.5 hrs at 258 lbs in a half mary last year. :smile:
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I burned about 900 doing Combat 60 on Monday at fit club. Of course, I'm over 200 pounds still and working really hard. I swear I look like I've been swimming when I'm done with that one.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Zumba

No
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I had sex for an hour wearing a 40 pound weighted vest
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I burned exactly 1000 in 61.25 minutes just yesterday (according to my HRM & GPS tracker). Does that count? That was on a 10k run.

Not that I'd eat all those back! I only eat back 2/3rds of the declared burns anyway, and even then only up to a maximum of one decent meal (so, maybe 5-600 calories).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Doing a decent pace (4.3mph) at a 15% incline is a real calorie killer! :)

FYI--If you are holding on to the handrails at that workload, you are only burning about 50% of what it says on the display.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, I see alot of people hold the top. I just keep it a good pace to not have to hold on.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Here, here! I second the Nordic (cross-country) skiing. Also, snowshoeing will help you burn a lot of calories. I had to do some research outside of mfp to find an accurate measurement of calories burned snow-shoeing, but it was close to 1000/hour, if you have some uphill and are breaking new ground through freshly fallen snow while using poles the number goes up. Though if you don't live in a snowy place these ideas might not help much. :P

It's incomplete to just say "showshoeing" or "cross-country skiing" and claim a number of calories. Weight and intensity are still the most crucial factors. No activity *automatically* burns a high number of calories. For example, a lower-fit or lighter weight person cannot put on a pair of skis/snowshoes and walk out and do 1000 cals/hour--you have to sustain a high enough oxygen uptake.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Used to be able to burn over 1, 000 calories in an hour - but as I lost weight and my cardiovascular system got fitter the calorie burns have been getting lower and lower!

Calorie burn will decrease because of decreased weight, but not necessarily because you are becoming "fitter". For example, running 6 mph is the same absolute intensity no matter who is doing it. It will feel easier for a higher-fit person, but it is still the same aerobic workload.

Calorie burns appear lower on HRMs because people either do not or cannot increase the fitness level in their setup.
  • Azdak
    Options
    You don't. Even calories burned calculated by heart rate monitors are wildly inaccurate. Even most seasoned athletes don't burn more than 13 cals per minute.

But! But! But! Doesn't your weight have something to do with it? True, the heavier you are the more cals you are going to burn but also it's not very likely that you are able to sustain the same intensity as aforementioned seasoned athlete for the same duration of time, therefore the cals burned would be lower.

Not true at all. Plenty of people can burn more than 13 cals a minute. I am nowhere near a "seasoned athlete"--I am an old fart and I have been metabolically tested at 18-19 per minute running--16+ at a pace I could sustain for an hour.

The interaction between weight and fitness level can vary. When I was losing my weight, I hit a "fitness to fatness" ratio that allowed me to A: run 60 min continuously and B: burn 1000 calories in about 52:15. My weight dropped fairly quickly after that so, even though I was able to run faster, I was not able to come within a minute of that "record". When the weight stabilized and I continued increasing my fitness level, I finally reached a point where I achieved a quantum leap in fitness, so to speak, and at that point I was able to smash through that old time and lower it by several minutes.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's possible to burn that in an hour

It is. Your weight and the activity/how hard you work out play a large role in this.

At 183 lbs I burnt 885 calories in 55 mins during a 5k race

Wow I only burn about 280 running a 5k. I've read a rough estimate is 100 cal per mile.

I just burned 2213 net during my half marathon Sunday. That's way more than 100 calories per mile.

Wow, how much do you weigh? In a 10 mile run I only burn 900-1000 and I run a 9:00-10:00 pace.

165lbs, 150lbs LBM. Average HR=164 for 2:19:30
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Intensity workouts. Possibly HIIT - interval training. Maybe a cycle spin class...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I used the AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer) at one gym location (The closer one to me) and I burn about 930 cals in 65 min. That is at the highest resistance and doing the full, large circle on the stride monitor (Not the stair stepper stride). It's about 14-16 cals per min (I sometimes do intervals)

I used the newer version at another location of my gym which also has incline as well as resistance and the calories were burned even faster which makes sense. And it's about 17-19 cals per min. I'm sweating within 5 min on that thing.

Look it up. It's a much more effective workout than the elliptical (though similar). I call it the super elliptical because you practically have to jump to get it to move. And instead of the wheel motion the elliptical has....YOU are the wheel on the AMT...so it just takes a lot more effort.

I had also read that to get a more accurate "burn" number....to punch in a weight about 5 to 10 lbs LESS than you are....and deduct 10% off the final number. That is what I have always done. I did it losing the 135 lbs and I continue to do it. Though I think these newer AMTs are fairly accurate.
  • formativebadge
    Options
    dont me to post here but not sure how to make my own fm looking for advice am trying to gain weight n muscles my weight is 134 my height is 511 am thinking of trying sean t insanity r focust25 which 1 should i do they both look crazy like me n fun and how many times a week
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Quicksilver and The Flash burn even more than that in an hour. Simply become one of those two people.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Quicksilver and The Flash burn even more than that in an hour. Simply become one of those two people.

Can we be sure of the TDEE of superheroes, though?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

Can we be sure of the TDEE of superheroes, though?

Eh, those two have been pretty definitely stated to have ridiculous metabolisms.

What's more interesting is what Hank Pyms would be like. Does regular shrinking lead an extraordinarily low TDEE? Is it counteracted when he goes giant? Are pym particles the new raspberry ketones? These are the big questions.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Running up and down stairs 1000 cals I always do it when im getting ready for comp

This. I can do 100 calories in 5 minutes.

I only do it for 5 minutes though. If I somehow was willing to keep going it would be 1000+ per hour.

I also don't believe there is a need for 1000 calorie burns.