Running vs Jogging

Options
1235»

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I would probably qualify it based on heart rate. Above about 150, on average, is a run for me, between 120 and 150 is a jog and less than that is either a walk, fast walk or slow jog. The speeds usually cited tend to correspond with these values for me, so it works out.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i just ran my first half marathon and i finished in 2:53. i ran it i did not jog it. i finished 1900 out of 2384. i RAN faster than 484 people.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would probably qualify it based on heart rate. Above about 150, on average, is a run for me, between 120 and 150 is a jog and less than that is either a walk, fast walk or slow jog. The speeds usually cited tend to correspond with these values for me, so it works out.

When I run at a 9:30 pace, my HR is below 110. Is this a jog or a run? It certainly isn't a walk.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Haven't read any of the other posts so don't know what other opinions are- but basically I call myself a runner because that's my goal and I'm working towards it. Might not be there yet but I'm moving my feet with that in mind.

That being said, I did notice the other day that according to my treadmill, 4mph is jogging and 6mph is running. There are buttons on there that say it, lol. I generally run between 4 and 5.3mph, so now getting up to 6 is a speed goal I'm working on- not because I think that's what "running" is, just because it's something to move up to.

When it comes to running, I think you can call yourself a runner as long as you're progressing towards your goal... from all the people I've spoken to, I've noticed seasoned runners tend to be forgiving of this as well :)
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's just a term that we've adopted. In the 80s, it was called jogging...now it's called running. The variance is now running vs sprinting. (amateur vs elite athlete for example)

Slow or fast, you are a runner!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed this question. So much fun history behind the word jogging. My favorite answer is that the difference is intensity and purpose. For example, you may jog to warm-up for a race, but regardless of what your pace is for a race, you are "running" a race. Or, you may like doing a quick cardio workout before you do your main exercise, such as lifting, so you take a jog on the treadmill or outside to get the blood flowing.

Some people say breaking 8 min / mile is when you go from jogging to running; this is mainly because sports tech companies such as Garmin set this arbitrary number, and lots of people have picked up on

Some other thoughts are that jogging is a leisure activity in which you don't want to walk, but want to move faster and are doing it "just because." Whereas running is something that you do because you want to race or have some specific exercising goal.

Either way, I have always used "running", but I honestly didn't hear many people around me ever say "jog", so to each his own.

Remember, KEEP MOVING!!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think it's around a seven minute mile for me. Not so much a set speed as whatever speed your gait turns from jogging to running. There is a distinct difference. I call myself a runner even though I usually jog. My cruising pace is around a 10 minute mile. I jog to relax and get outside, not to get a workout, and although I've been running / jogging or whatever for over 16 years, I've only entered two races in my life.

I call my running "the old man shuffle" because it's how old men jog. Slow as a snail with the prototypical jogging form: arms bent at 90 degrees, arms move straight forward and straight back, torso and hips frozen dead center, almost painfully short stride. You want to scream: walk! just walk!

I'm going to try to bring jogging back, it's the ****. I'm also working on a new form of running. It's a combination of ultra/ultra light backpacking and trial running. You carry gear for the day: food, sunblock, water, bathing suit, water tablets, climbing shoes, map, etc., and go out for day long wilderness runs that incorporate rock climbing, swimming, or whatever else you're into. I haven't thought of a name yet.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    For me, jogging vs running is all up to the individual. when i run at my usual pace, i consider that running. Anytime that i purposely run slower than my usual speed, i consider that a jog. That's just me.

I agree. I think it's all relative to the person. I consider myself a "jogger" right now merely because my pace is WAY slower than what I ever used to run. I think you can be a runner at any speed, it's relative to you specifically.....some pro marathoner would consider a 8:00/mile pace jogging/easy whereas I consider that running.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I consider a jog an easy lope.

But most will agree that the difference between jogging and running is dependent on the size of the dog chasing us!

"Jogging presumably acquired some of its less-favorable overtones when Bill Bowerman went ‘jogging’ in New Zealand with Arthur Lydiard and subsequently wrote the book titled, yes you guessed it, “Jogging” in 1966 proposing this recreational form of running as the solution to many social ills and health problems.

It would seem that during the first running boom of the 1970’s ‘jogging’ was just a way to describe running for your health with no particular competitive inclination. I think this is where jogging starts to get painted with a negative patina. It came to be seen as a slower, lower effort, non-competitive version of running.

It seems “Jogging” was originally intended to be a subset of running; a less strenuous, less serious form of running. It was running for the non-competitive masses.

Dr. George Sheehan is famously quoted as saying that the difference between runners and joggers is a race number. The thought being that as soon as it becomes a competition – you are running. This is one of the most common responses I got when I polled my virtual running friends with this very same question."

http://www.runrunlive.com/the-difference-between-running-and-jogging
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    A jogger keeps running (or "jogging") in place when he/she reaches a red stoplight. A runner just stands there looking annoyed.

This may sound like a joke, but it's true: A runner is interested in moving forward at a particular pace; a jogger is just interested in moving for some period of time. Both are completely valid; it's all about your attitude and why you are doing it, and has little to do with speed.
  • RAmelia63
    RAmelia63 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I am a runner...all 12:00 min/mile of me is a runner. I've worked too hard and pushed for too long to be considered less.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If I would differentiate, when I "jog", it's easy. Conversational pace, and when I am done I feel like I got a good, easy workout. "Easy runs" are more like jogs IMO.

My faster effort workouts are "runs". The labored breathing, pushing harder, sore the next day, etc.

I usually just call everything a run though - it's either easy, long, tempo, interval, etc.

I agree! My jogging allows me to chat. When I can't breathe and and pushing toward a goal, I am running!
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think the word jog should be taken out of the English language.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A jogger keeps running (or "jogging") in place when he/she reaches a red stoplight. A runner just stands there looking annoyed.

This may sound like a joke, but it's true: A runner is interested in moving forward at a particular pace; a jogger is just interested in moving for some period of time. Both are completely valid; it's all about your attitude and why you are doing it, and has little to do with speed.

^this cracks me up! Validation - I really am a runner!!!! :D
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Traditionally, for the purposes of fitness evaluation, a successful run is anything better than a 5.2 (12:00 pace).

. . .

Pearl Izumi ran ad copy a few years ago during the "run like an animal":campaign
    "IF YOU RAN WITHOUT SACRIFICE, CONGRATULATIONS. YOU JUST JOGGED. Running hurts. It always has. Woolly mammoths didn’t just roll over onto a plate and serve themselves up to prehistoric man with fries and a shake. They had to be caught – and running down woolly mammoths was a *****. Guess what? Running is still a *****. But one with a purpose. It teaches us that good things do not come easy. It teaches us that hard work will be rewarded and laziness will be punished. Don’t expect to learn those life lessons from running’s shiftless stepchild; jogging. Next time you suffer on the roads or trails, suffer proudly."

Or what God has to say, "Do you not know that in a race all runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as o get he prize"