Lady to give out "you're too fat for candy" letters?

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    That's mean.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    2znohsn.jpg

He/She/They would hate me when I was done.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Just imagine if I went and creeped on everyone's diaries and was all like "Did you need that snicker bar fatty?".

No Tact. Self Righteous. Judgemental. And as a former fat kid, this pillow case isn't gonna fill it self so trick or treat or GTFO

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

^^

This.
    sorry folks but the whole thing leaves me concerned.
    Sense of proportion needed.
    (Just a Brit who doesn't get the Hallowe'en hype anyway.)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

^^

This.
    sorry folks but the whole thing leaves me concerned.
    Sense of proportion needed.
    (Just a Brit who doesn't get the Hallowe'en hype anyway.)

I think an understanding of hyperbole may be needed more.
  • JennetteMac
    Options
    OT but a bit amusing:

I'm in S.E. Louisiana... it's still pretty hot here at Halloween.

Last year, hubby and I were giving out candy and we had a case of water bottles in the back of the truck. Some of those costumes are REALLY hot, and when I'd see a hot, sweaty child, I'd ask if they wanted candy or water.

Water. 100% of the time. They'd drink it right there and not one forgot to say "thank you".

Oh, BTW, we give out good candy... not the crappy "stuff still left over in February" type.

I love that idea. I think I'll include a tray of small bottles of water alongside the candy this year. Though the neighbors a few doors down may not appreciate all the requests to use the restroom :laugh:

Awww... that makes me happy to know that some thirsty kids will get water, and (oddly) that I might have indirectly inspired slight annoyance from your neighbors. Is that bad??? I think it might be!

It makes me wish there was a warm alternative. We've already had a bit of snow up here so handing out water when it's going to be near freezing by nightfall doesn't work, but I can't really give out hot spiced apple cider to anonymous kids either. drat...

Why not hot chocolate?

For the same reason I can't give apples, oranges, or the popcorn balls my grandmother made. Not many parents will let their kids eat or drink something not originally wrapped. Too much stranger danger.

Kind of makes me wonder why they let their children out to beg anything at all from strangers then.
    If you think it through to possible outcomes.
    As I said, I don't really get the Hallowe'en thing, so may not be the most sympathetic.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    So GREAT! Lot's of folks have responded with threats of violence.

Is there a lesson for the children, as they watch parents become irate and hateful over this person's stepping out of bounds (most would agree the parents should do the parenting, most).

Yep....lets lead by example. Look back at what you've written and imagine impressionable minds (young kids) learning how you handle the problem (the worst I saw was threat of a shotgun!). So.......saying something in a mean way justifies murdering that person?

Nice lesson to teach the kids!

I'm all for protecting the kids. They are the most important thing the prior generation does. I'm not for teaching kids to solve all their problems with violence!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Kind of makes me wonder why they let their children out to beg anything at all from strangers then.
    As I said, I don't really get the Hallowe'en thing, so may not be the most sympathetic.

Do you pass out candy? If you don't, try it. That may help you get it. It's so much fun and makes the kids so happy. It's not just the candy, it's the whole experience.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Is there a lesson for the children, as they watch parents become irate and hateful over this person's stepping out of bounds (most would agree the parents should do the parenting, most).

Yep....lets lead by example. Look back at what you've written and imagine impressionable minds (young kids) learning how you handle the problem (the worst I saw was threat of a shotgun!). So.......saying something in a mean way justifies murdering that person?

I'm all for protecting the kids. They are the most important thing the prior generation does. I'm not for teaching kids to solve all their problems with violence!

Again, look up hyperbole. Wait, I'll save you the trouble -

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hyperbole

People say stupid crap like this on the internet all the time. I guarantee that presented with the situation 99% of people would not follow through. 90% probably wouldn't even confront them verbally.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I'm a Brit living in the states. I didn't get Halloween either, until I moved to the States and had kids. It's fun. The kids are excited, and the adults play along and get enjoyment from the theater of it. Many adults even dress up themselves. Everyone knows everyone else where I live, and it's cool to see how the kids dress up.

It's not as much fun in the UK because people just don't get into the spirit of it. In my neighborhood growing up we'd have kids not in costume basically knock on the door and hold out their hands for sweets. That just turns it into door to door begging, and it's no wonder people get irritated.
  • JennetteMac
    Options

Do you pass out candy? If you don't, try it. That may help you get it. It's so much fun and makes the kids so happy. It's not just the candy, it's the whole experience.

Nope, doesn't really happen round my way.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

People say stupid crap like this on the internet all the time. I guarantee that presented with the situation 99% of people would not follow through. 90% probably wouldn't even confront them verbally.
    You posted this several hours ago and many people actually said that they disagree with you and would LITERALLY punch this woman if that happened.
    Now, I agree with you that there are a lot of "Internet tough guys" out there but, the fact that there are some who would even THINK about doing this tells me that many are not fit to even be parents.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Understand all the "defend the kids" responses.

That said, It took someone telling me point blank that I was fat before I realized it. Yeah, yeah, I'd had to buy new pants that fit.....but that didn't make me aware. Yeah, yeah........my wetsuit made it hard for me to breathe (had a friend die of heart attack due to a tight wet suit), but that didn't make me aware.

It took someone telling me to my face, that I was fat, before I realized the truth ... the reality....that I had so stealthily kept from my own conscience, despite the warning signs.

I'm glad my wife told me I was fat. Nobody else had.

The difference is, you were an adult.

And it was your wife, not a stranger.
  • JennetteMac
    Options

I'm a Brit living in the states. I didn't get Halloween either, until I moved to the States and had kids. It's fun. The kids are excited, and the adults play along and get enjoyment from the theater of it. Many adults even dress up themselves. Everyone knows everyone else where I live, and it's cool to see how the kids dress up.

It's not as much fun in the UK because people just don't get into the spirit of it. In my neighborhood growing up we'd have kids not in costume basically knock on the door and hold out their hands for sweets. That just turns it into door to door begging, and it's no wonder people get irritated.

That's where I'm going! Should have read your post before my previous.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Wow! I never considered that 4-5 year old kids would understand that the irate, hateful words of the adults was just hyperbole.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

You posted this several hours ago and many people actually said that they disagree with you and would LITERALLY punch this woman if that happened.
    Now, I agree with you that there are a lot of "Internet tough guys" out there but, the fact that there are some who would even THINK about doing this tells me that many are not fit to even be parents.

Funny, I just looked through the thread, and I don't see a single person quoting me and saying "no, seriously, I'd totally do this, no exaggeration, in fact I throat punched someone just the other day for looking at my kid funny". Just because you say it, doesn't make it true. If I missed direct response, I'll be happy to retract.

Sure, plenty of people posted after me with violent sentiments, but I'm guessing they either didn't read the whole thread or just didn't give two damns about my opinion. People just love extreme responses to stuff like this.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Wow! I never considered that 4-5 year old kids would understand that the irate, hateful words of the adults was just hyperbole.

Given that at the moment we aren't in front of said 4-5 year old kids, that's not an issue, now, is it?

Let people make their ridiculous claims of bravado all they want. People enjoy it. It blows off steam and is a graphic way of expressing displeasure. If they actually do it then by all means report them for assault - I'll be right next to you with the cell phone.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Funny, I just looked through the thread, and I don't see a single person quoting me and saying "no, seriously, I'd totally do this, no exaggeration, in fact I throat punched someone just the other day for looking at my kid funny". Just because you say it, doesn't make it true. If I missed direct response, I'll be happy to retract.

Sure, plenty of people posted after me with violent sentiments, but I'm guessing they either didn't read the whole thread or just didn't give two damns about my opinion. People just love extreme responses to stuff like this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1127250-lady-to-give-out-you-re-too-fat-for-candy-letters?page=8
    fourth post down.
    No, you are not quoted but, you are referenced.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    That is mean!

I saw some really large kids yesterday at the shop getting candy & they had driven there from their high school (800mtrs) but I didn't turn around & call them names or say they shouldn't be getting candy. Did I think it, yes I did..
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Next she'll be telling them there is no Santa...:angry:

Well, um there isn't-- and they may be too fat for candy.

However-- neither is her place to tell them.

She has already gotten what she wanted through this all-- her 15 minutes of fame...and then some. I suspect things will be a little rough for her as this continues to hit the fan, and her neighbors respond.