Workout safety (stranger danger)

Options

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    What, do you think there should be hand grenades? Maybe perhaps surface to air missiles? Armored tank that follows your around?

Of course I can't tell if your just laughing at the use of the word 'overkill' :) My irony detector is broken

Isn't it ironic, don't ya think? Here, c(__) cup of coffee on me. It's still morning in my brain, too. :tongue:
    To be honest, I'm actually still laughing in to myself about the image of some jogger on a trail around a lake with a giant tank following them the whole way through and a great path of destruction of broken trees.

Every time the jogger runs by someone the tank slows and the cannon 'follows' them by so it can shoot at any time :)

It could even carry your water bottle and play music.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

Concealed weapons are not legal everywhere. And where the hell do you keep it?
    Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.

Did you just compare running with water to running with a gun on your hip? Is this seriously a thing?
    Well, yes. On both accounts. I was comparing the weight though--not use, although I guess water could be a weapon if you have a strong arm and good aim. I guess I should have been more specific. :laugh: And, yes, it's a thing, but you don't carry it on your hip, that's uncomfortable.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.

Did you just compare running with water to running with a gun on your hip? Is this seriously a thing?

yes. people run with guns. there are special holsters and even lightweight guns that one can use so that they don't affect your running. it's not just for city dwellers worried about muggers, but lots of folks run in the wilderness and there are bears and mountain lions and coyotes to contend with. all of these animals will attack humans on occasion, and some female joggers have been "taken" by mountain lions while running trails in california and other western states in recent years.

i personally don't find anything strange or odd about it. if you get into trouble on a trail, calling for "help" is not the solution.

Interesting - us city dwellers aren't allowed to carry.

Edited - DC can't carry. No clue about other big cities.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

yes. people run with guns. there are special holsters and even lightweight guns that one can use so that they don't affect your running. it's not just for city dwellers worried about muggers, but lots of folks run in the wilderness and there are bears and mountain lions and coyotes to contend with. all of these animals will attack humans on occasion, and some female joggers have been "taken" by mountain lions while running trails in california and other western states in recent years.

i personally don't find anything strange or odd about it. if you get into trouble on a trail, calling for "help" is not the solution.

don't blame me... i didn't vote for your politicians. :tongue:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....it's more likely statistically that a female would be attacked than a male

It's probably quite geographically dependent, but any statistics I've seen the incidence of males being the victims of violence is about 3-4 times that of women. That is a function of working population being predominantly male, as many attacks are straightforward robbery.

Much physical violence against women is domestic battery, so resulting from the actions of a partner rather than random individual, so that has a bearing on the statistics; reducing the proportion of women even further.

The most recent I've seen related to UK and Northern Europe, commentary suggested that North American figures were pretty consistent, with a higher proportion in the US being related to organised crime and gang related violence.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Have you ever had a gun on a holster attached to your hip? I have and it's not very comfortable to walk with. I can't imagine what it's like to run with that thing let alone the bruise I'd have from it rubbing and banging. Also it's pretty heavy so there's the whole pants falling down issue to contend with as well.

I'm not sure how this is relevant.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    As someone who was recently drugged, by people who she had previously worked out with for a couple months, I'm going to go ahead and say you can't really trust anyone, anywhere, at any time, for any reason.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Well, yes. On both accounts. I was comparing the weight though--not use, although I guess water could be a weapon if you have a strong arm and good aim. I guess I should have been more specific. :laugh: And, yes, it's a thing, but you don't carry it on your hip, that's uncomfortable.

Especially if it's the roofied water the OP saw in the park. Just have your attacker drink it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

don't blame me... i didn't vote for your politicians. :tongue:

90% of people wouldn't be able to carry here anyway for the fact that you can't carry on public transportation or take in Government buildings.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    a recent incident from my neck of the woods... she was lucky somebody was around to hear her.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/306501/188/Mountain-lion-chases-jogger-I-was-going-to-get-eaten
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Stun gun.

Bzzzzzt!!!

no joke, I hope to one day own one of those. not for protection against wackos, but to live out my dream of being more like veronica mars.

I want to be more like Veronica Mars too. She's a marshmallow!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

Have you ever had a gun on a holster attached to your hip? I have and it's not very comfortable to walk with. I can't imagine what it's like to run with that thing let alone the bruise I'd have from it rubbing and banging. Also it's pretty heavy so there's the whole pants falling down issue to contend with as well.

wrong holster...also a nice compact handgun is not that heavy. Something like this works nicely...

PT-one.jpg

PT-one-alt1.jpg

I carry occasionally when I'm running out in the sticks as there are often wild and lose dogs about and they will attack you. I'm not nearly as concerned with people as I am a lose pit bull or something.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'd say take a self defense class.

You know, the kind with professionals trained for it and not random strangers on the internet.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

WTF....?? :huh:

So I had to google this as I didn't have the faintest clue what a "Ruger LCP" was....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LCP

Are you serious? You run with a gun???? :noway:

Ah, an MFP classic.

In...

...because I know where this thread goes from here.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

wrong holster...also a nice compact handgun is not that heavy. Something like this works nicely...

PT-one.jpg

PT-one-alt1.jpg

I carry occasionally when I'm running out in the sticks as there are often wild and lose dogs about and they will attack you. I'm not nearly as concerned with people as I am a lose pit bull or something.
    This looks kind of like mine. My mother-in-law gave it to me. It's very comfortable.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Something bad could happen anywhere I go. I could walk outside of work and run into something bad. I could go to the movies, a restaurant, a bar, etc...Will I live in constant fear that something could be slipped into my drink? Someone could stalk me? Etc. No. Most people looking to stalk people aren't looking for people who kickbox and run. They prey on who they think are weaker people.

I watch a LOT of SVU and Criminal Minds. I love those shows. They are fiction though, even though some SVU are based on actual events. The thing is, this **** happens all the time and can happen anywhere. You have to be smart and prepared.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how this is relevant.

agreed. from that description i'm not sure if she's talking about running with a holster or while wearing some sort of prosthetic male device.

either way, i'm not leaving my water bottle around her. because pervert
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    there are a multitude of dangers to worry about when running, other than rapists and muggers...

Hippo-running-funny.jpg

i suggest everyone lock and load before their daily run. better safe than sorry. you'll thank me later.

Agreed - I live in a very rural area and we have to worry more about the animals (wild and otherwise) than the people... Love the picture by the way!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    This is why I never leave my house, have fifty locks on every door and never use plastic cups. The outside world is a scary, scary place.

I don't even leave my beverages unattended in my own home. Who knows who could be sneaking in and dropping who knows what into my drinks.

hC8BF5189_zpse2e5a437.jpeg
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't worry about this kind of stuff because I grew up in a pretty scary neighborhood. It sounds counterintuitive, but I think it desensitized me. Nothing ever happened to me growing up, so why would I be scared now?