Vegetarian help for more protein?

Options

Replies

• ChrisMundie
    ChrisMundie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing: homemade seitan.

Recipie:

2 cups vital wheat gluten (I get mine from the bulk bins of the local food coop, I know whole foods has it, as does amazon if you are totally deprived of a natural food store)

1 cup broth, your choice I like it made with mushroom broth.

1/2 cup hempseeds for a little texture.

Mix all that together, makes a dough.

Put pieces of that dough in boiling vegetable broth, it expands so make sure you are using a big enough pot.

After an hour of boiling it should be done.

I like to finish mine off in different ways. Sometimes I cut iit down really small and marinate it and after a couple hours I throw it in the dehydrator for about 6 hours to make amazing vegan jerkey bits. For wheatballs I break it down in to smaller chunks before boiling it, then when it is done I brown the balls in coconut oil in a large skillet. Don't limit yourself to what the stores sell, seitan is an awesome protein and meat replacer. Once you start to play with it you will almost never buy the store stuff again.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Vegan protein powder because shakes are perfect. :)

But things like, beans, hemp/flax seeds, Quinoa/whole grains, Lentils, Legumes, Tofu, Nuts/nut butters, seitan, tempeh, seeds,
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    *giggles at "judgmental lentil"*

My go-to's are eggs, Greek yogurt, tempeh, seitan (I'm so in love with this stuff now!), cottage cheese, veggie dogs (50 cals/7 g pro for one), swiss cheese and mushrooms. I really want to try to make my own seitan someday soon!

ETA I'm not "vegetarian", but I don't like to eat a lot of meat.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    and if you are just vegetarian, you could go for lacto/ovo so you can eat things like egg whites/ cottage cheese and greek yogurt. :3
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

DUDE: What GARDEN did you get cheese, eggs and milk from? Next you will be saying fish is a veggie!

vegetarian not vegan
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    Broccoli !! Mushrooms !!
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    600g Broccoli = 16.8g Protein

4 egg whites = 16 g Protein
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

If she ate that much broccoli, she'd be a very lonely girl! *pinches nose* :wink:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

If she ate that much broccoli, she'd be a very lonely girl! *pinches nose* :wink:

lol gas x?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat meat? Bang. Protein. Plus a lot of other nutrients we humans evolved to need. Why go to all the trouble of compensating for not eating meat? It seems like a vegetarian diet is way more trouble than it's worth. Humans aren't natural herbivores. That's just biology. :drinker:
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You can check out my food diary for some ideas.

I mix my protein powder into oatmeal in the morning & eat 2 hard boiled eggs nearly everyday. Also Dannon Light n Fit Greek yogurts have 12 grams protein and only 80 cals and 7 sugars, so I have one on most days as well.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a vegetarian and trying to lose the last 10 kgs. According to MFP I don't consume enough protein. I don't like nuts. And for the last week and a half I haven't managed to lose anything although I've been eating and exercising according to my goals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there's a low cal protein shake that's not so expensive, or any foods you don't normally hear about?

Thank you in advance!
    xx

you don't like nuts or nut products? I have found an amazing product called Peanut Flour-Protein Plus. It is simply ground peanuts. lots of fiber and protein. you can add it to items or eat it with some water as a paste. check it out on amazon for reviews.
  • roote13
    roote13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I became a vegetarian (27 years ago), I was sick all the time and had terrible allergies...my doctor actually wrote down what I wasn't allergic to instead of what I was because it was easier that way. I read that some people got relief by cutting out meat. I had already been toying with the idea because of my love for animals, so I gave it a try. Worked so well, I never went back.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3
    Where did that number for protein in mushrooms come from? Or am I confused because there are no weights listed.
    USDA db states 100g white raw mushrooms is 3.09 g protein.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too!

cheese (all kinds! feta, mozzarella, etc) , beans (also all kinds! kidney, black being my favorite!) yogurts (especially Greek. One container: 100 calories, 18g+ protein! insane.) whey protein shakes are also wonderful, whole wheat breads can be loaded with protein.

just spend some time browsing the supermarket. I am a huge fan of taking my time and reading labels to ensure I am getting a really quality, nutritious and delicious food product.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was raised a vegan by my parents. Mother consumed no animal products while carrying me. Like you were raised eating meat, I was raised not eating it. When/where is the converting stage here?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat meat? Bang. Protein. Plus a lot of other nutrients we humans evolved to need. Why go to all the trouble of compensating for not eating meat? It seems like a vegetarian diet is way more trouble than it's worth. Humans aren't natural herbivores. That's just biology. :drinker:

She's vegetarian. She never disclosed her reasoning. Same as you ask her why not eat meat, why don't you stop eating meat?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

She's vegetarian. She never disclosed her reasoning. Same as you ask her why not eat meat, why don't you stop eating meat?

Why defy eons of evolution? Why micromanage nutrition to compensate for the lack of meat? When you eat meat as part of a varied diet, you don't really have to overthink nutrition. You certainly don't have to worry about B12 deficiencies and such.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    OP, you might find this useful.

1. Quinoa and other whole grains

Whole grains are a great source of protein, but the queen of whole grains when it comes to protein content is quinoa. Unlike many sources of vegetarian protein, quinoa contains all of the essential amino acids, making it a "complete protein". Just one cup of cooked quinoa contains 18 grams of protein, as well as nine grams of fiber. Other whole grains, including whole grain bread, brown rice, barley are all healthy protein-rich foods for vegetarians and vegans as well.
    Protein content: One cup of cooked quinoa provides about 18 grams of protein.
    Why you should eat it: Whole grains are a bargain! Shop in bulk and you can stock up on whole grains for about $1.50 a pound.

2. Beans, Lentils and Legumes

All beans, lentils, and peas are an excellent vegetarian and vegan source of protein, so eat whichever one you like! Black beans, kidney beans, Indian dhal, vegetarian chili, split pea soup and chickpea hummus - pick one and watch the protein grams add up. Soy is a bean as well, but because soy and its derivatives are such a popular source of protein for vegetarians, it merits it's own entry below.
    Protein content: One cup of canned kidney beans contains about 13.4 grams of protein.
    Why you should eat it: Beans are one of the most common protein-rich foods for vegetarians. You can find beans in the grocery store or on the menu just about everywhere you may be.
    3. Tofu and other soy products

Soy is such a flavor chameleon that you'll never get bored! You may have tried tofu and soy milk before, but what about edamame, soy ice cream, soy yogurt, soy nuts or soy cheese? TVP and tempeh are also protein-rich soy foods. As an added bonus, many brands of tofu and soymilk are fortified with other nutrients that vegetarians and vegans need, such as calcium, iron and vitamin B12. And yes, I did just give you permission to eat soy ice cream to get your protein.
    Protein content: A half-cup of tofu contains 10 grams, and soy milk contains 7 grams of protein per cup.
    Why you should eat it: You can add a bit of tofu to just about anything you cook, including stir-fries, pasta sauces, soups and salads.

4. Nuts, Seeds and Nut Butters

Nuts, including peanuts, cashews, almonds and walnuts all contain protein, as do seeds such as sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. Because most nuts and seeds are high in fat, you don't want to make them your primary source of protein. But they're great as a post-workout or occasional snack. Nut butters are delicious as well, and kids of course love peanut butter. Try soy nut butter or cashew nut butter for a little variety if you're bored of peanut butter.
    Protein content: Two tablespoons of peanut butter contains about 8 grams of protein.
    Why you should eat it: Convenience! Stop into any 7-11 and pick up a snack of nuts to get a protein boost. And of course, kids love peanut butter too.

5. Seitan, Veggie Burgers and Meat Substitutes

Read the label of your store-bought meat substitute products and veggie burgers and you'll find they are quite high in protein! Most commercial meat substitutes are made from either soy protein, wheat protein (wheat gluten) or a combination of the two. So toss a few veggie burgers on the grill or in the microwave, and watch those daily protein grams add right up. Homemade seitan is quite high in protein as well.
    Protein content: One veggie patty contains about 10 grams of protein, and 100 grams of seitan provides 21 grams of protein.
    Why you should eat it: Seitan and mock meats are great for barbecues or anytime you just want something hearty and filling.
    Pictured: Seitan meat substitute

6. Tempeh

Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans and formed into a patty, but don't let that stop you. It's actually similar to a very firm veggie burger, and, like tofu and seitan, it's quite high in protein and can be prepared in a myriad of ways, making if perfect for vegetarians, vegans, or just folks wishing to reduce meat consumption while exploring alternative protein sources.
    Protein content: Varies by brand, but as a guideline, one serving of tempeh (100 grams) provides about 18 grams of protein (that's even more protein per gram than tofu!)
    Why you should eat it: Tempeh is a great alternative for folks who don't like tofu.

7. Protein Supplements

So what if you are an Olympic body builder or are trying to gain some serious muscle? In this case, your protein needs will be higher than us average vegetarians and you may be considering supplementing with protein powders or protein shakes. My personal trainer says to read the label and watch out for cheap fillers in whey and soy protein powders. She says it's best to shell out and invest in a good quality. I personally recommend hemp protein powder and green proteins as well.
    Protein content: Varies by brand, so read the label.
    Why you should eat it: Well, you shouldn't really unless you have special protein needs, as real food is always best.

OP, add me if you need some recipe ideas, I am always on target for protein :flowerforyou: