1800 calories in candy/ice cream - Why not?

Options

Replies

• ArtsyBunny
    ArtsyBunny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    From the way the title was worded I thought all you ate was candy and ice cream. Like dayum OP that's kinda hardcore.

I think I'm gonna have coffee ice cream for dessert later.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You ask "Why Not?" I ask "Why?"

Not everyone feels deprived by not eating ice cream or candy every day.

If someone needs that scoop of ice cream daily to keep them on track, I have no reason to tell them not to eat it. My favorites would be chocolate, wine and cheese. But I don't eat/drink that everyday and I don't feel deprived at all for making that choice. But, unfortunately, I get the impression from the IFYM's folks that I must be depriving myself if I'm not partaking in sugary sweets every day.

Nah. You're only depriving yourself if you're not eating whatever it is you love to eat.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    IIFYM!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    explanation: you CAN eat the magic that is candy and ice cream. :) enjoy.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You ask "Why Not?" I ask "Why?"

Not everyone feels deprived by not eating ice cream or candy every day.

If someone needs that scoop of ice cream daily to keep them on track, I have no reason to tell them not to eat it. My favorites would be chocolate, wine and cheese. But I don't eat/drink that everyday and I don't feel deprived at all for making that choice. But, unfortunately, I get the impression from the IFYM's folks that I must be depriving myself if I'm not partaking in sugary sweets every day.

Nah. You're only depriving yourself if you're not eating whatever it is you love to eat.

It's a good thing I love to eat steaks and bacon and cheese. :)
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Soooo .... if i'm at maintenance calories eating clean... and i want to start a "bulk", and go 500 (or 300-700) calories over maintenance, i can go the IIFYM path and just eat like two donuts a day on top of my maintenance calories of clean foods. Those 500 extra calories of crap should help me build muscle right?

If this is the case, i think i'm gonna join the IIFYM crowd ... Add daily desserts and get JACKED! I can't argue with that. Make me a believer someone.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    explanation: you CAN eat the magic that is candy and ice cream. :) enjoy.

Oh Yes..Yes..Yes!!! Maaahhgic Yumminess!! If I make it to saaaay....80, I'm eating the magic for every meal, and washing it down with something fru-fru, like a pina colada.

Oh I should probably clarify....AGE 80...not 80 lbs
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Soooo .... if i'm at maintenance calories eating clean... and i want to start a "bulk", and go 500 (or 300-700) calories over maintenance, i can go the IIFYM path and just eat like two donuts a day on top of my maintenance calories of clean foods. Those 500 extra calories of crap should help me build muscle right?

If this is the case, i think i'm gonna join the IIFYM crowd ... Add daily desserts and get JACKED! I can't argue with that. Make me a believer someone.
    Well first of all, how do you come to the conclusion that muscle milk and other heavily processed protein supplements (and sausage) qualify as eating clean?

Second, it depends on context. If you are just barely making your protein goals for your existing LBM and plan to add more LBM, then your macro target for protein would go up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If those donuts help you hit your macros (or a macro neutral), and assuming for health reasons they do not displace foods that have any nutrients that you would otherwise be missing, then there is not reason not to.

In fact, those donuts could well be pretty good for extra energy before you go to the gym, and the major component of a bulk (other than a caloric surplus) is your gym performance.

Why wouldn't those donuts help?
  • RobP1192
    Options

Well first of all, how do you come to the conclusion that muscle milk and other heavily processed protein supplements (and sausage) qualify as eating clean?

Second, it depends on context. If you are just barely making your protein goals for your existing LBM and plan to add more LBM, then your macro target for protein would go up.

It was hypothetical. I don't eat clean. I have, but i don't. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, the sausage is clean. It's TURKEY sausage. So that makes it more "bro food". Because it's turkey sausage and not pork. And it's a Muscle Milk LITE! So that makes it clean.
  • RobP1192
    Options

If those donuts help you hit your macros (or a macro neutral), and assuming for health reasons they do not displace foods that have any nutrients that you would otherwise be missing, then there is not reason not to.

In fact, those donuts could well be pretty good for extra energy before you go to the gym, and the major component of a bulk (other than a caloric surplus) is your gym performance.

I don't know if the donuts would help or not. That's why i asked. To find out from experts on IIFYM. I'd like to know, if i hit all my macro and micro nutrients following a "clean" eating approach at maintenance calories. Then decide to bulk, but instead of using MORE "clean" foods to create the surplus, I use IIFYM foods, and use anything, will it help me build muscle? The idea being, at maintenance, my protein and fat macros don't change, i just up carbs for the surplus. And if i save room for fats, then eat something high in fat and carbs like a donut or some other sweet treat, will 500-600 calories from that additional surplus build muscle?

Just wondering.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I don't know if the donuts would help or not. That's why i asked. To find out from experts on IIFYM. I'd like to know, if i hit all my macro and micro nutrients following a "clean" eating approach at maintenance calories. Then decide to bulk, but instead of using MORE "clean" foods to create the surplus, I use IIFYM foods, and use anything, will it help me build muscle? The idea being, at maintenance, my protein and fat macros don't change, i just up carbs for the surplus. And if i save room for fats, then eat something high in fat and carbs like a donut or some other sweet treat, will 500-600 calories from that additional surplus build muscle?

Just wondering.

The caloric surplus will give you the building blocks for muscle. Carbs are more metabolically beneficial, to a degree, but when you are in a surplus it becomes a bit moot.

Check out the 3DMJ guys - they are competitive natty bb'ers (who also powerlift on the side) and are proponents of IIFYM (done correctly). Sometimes the donut really is a better choice as fiber can become too high with too much 'clean' food. Plus...tasty!
  • RobP1192
    Options

Just wondering.

The caloric surplus will give you the building blocks for muscle. Carbs are more metabolically beneficial, to a degree, but when you are in a surplus it becomes a bit moot.

Check out the 3DMJ guys - they are competitive natty bb'ers (who also powerlift on the side) and are proponents of IIFYM (done correctly). Sometimes the donut really is a better choice as fiber can become too high with too much 'clean' food. Plus...tasty!

Sounds like an easy way to bulk to me. Since the "ideal" bulk that i see everyone suggest around here is 500 calories above maintenance, all you have to do is eat two cupcakes and you're in business!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Just wondering.

Sounds like an easy way to bulk to me. Since the "ideal" bulk that i see everyone suggest around here is 500 calories above maintenance, all you have to do is eat two cupcakes and you're in business!

Pretty much =). Your diary looks really good - you are probably getting all the nutrients (macro and micro) that you need, and then some. I say go for those cupcakes! (actually, I would say go for the ice cream...but that's just me).
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hitting your micronutrient goals, as well as your macros, I don't see the problem ... If you like it and it fits, eat it ...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Soooooo jealous!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Frankly it pisses me off that you get to eat that much. :noway:

:flowerforyou:
  • RobP1192
    Options
    Frankly it pisses me off that you get to eat that much. :noway:

:flowerforyou:

My diary is set at my TDEE maintenance calorie requirements. So i actually go over that for my "surplus". Since i'm looking to get BIG.
  • RobP1192
    Options

Just wondering.

Pretty much =). Your diary looks really good - you are probably getting all the nutrients (macro and micro) that you need, and then some. I say go for those cupcakes! (actually, I would say go for the ice cream...but that's just me).

It's so rare that i eat dessert type foods, i forgot about ice cream. Been a long time since i had a klondike bar. What else is there ... those M&M ice cream sandwiches! Man. But really. People looking to clean bulk, act like they have to re-do their whole diet if they've been at maintenance. Looks like all you have to do is grab a big mac, or something in the 400-600 calorie range, and that's it. Simple. I'm going to try this.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    The only two reasons (besides you shouldn't steal from a three year old) that I can give you is 1) you may be rotting your teeth and 2) if I ate that much candy/ice cream in one day, then I would be sick at my stomach. Otherwise, it's your life and if it didn't you sick, more power to you.