WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Got extremely brave and stepped on the scale this am, (3 times, lol!!!)..............not at goal anymore, but not nearly as bad as I had imagined!!! So, things could be much worse; now to buckle down and lose again. Need to go get ready for a volunteer appreciation party this pm and remember to not eat my face off; it's so easy to stand and munch!!!
    BBL.........hope all are having a good Sunday.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic, clouds and sun, mid 50's, quite breezy
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Hi! Just wanted to share my blog post again, and thank you all for being here.

The Anti-Snacking Sunday Saga

Good morning, good morning, sailors take warning,
    Looks like we're in for some rain;
    The scolding begins, I don't feel so thin,
    The night time snacking is pain!

Gather thy thoughts, what plan have you got?
    I must get over this hump;
    It's causing my jeans to zip without ease,
    Making me feel all too plump!

Once I was faithful with merely a plateful,
    But now those days are quite rare;
    There's something amiss with a feat such as this,
    I eat 'til my cupboard is bare.

Pull in the reins! Stop with the gains!
    I try and I try to take heed;
    But when night time arrives, the snacking, it thrives,
    Causing an overage of feed.

Where is my power? Washed down the shower?
    I thought it was stronger than that;
    I’ve looked high and low but it just will not show,
    Now all I can find is my fat.

This day is brand new, my cravings are few,
    I’ll take it and run like the wind;
    When night time comes, I’ll tie up my thumbs
    And never go snacking again.

c2013jb

:smile: jb in Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I love the poem, JB. It would be good song lyrics for Ballad of the Dieter.:bigsmile: :wink:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member

A moment of silence please for the loss of the clip on my FitBit one. The cat got it last night and ate it. I can order another one from FitBit for $15 plus shipping but then I would have to let my husband know how much I paid for the initial thing. He thinks I just bought a fancy pedometer. So far it is working just putting the FitBit one itself in my pocket. But what happens if I am wearing something that doesn't have a pocket??? I guess I could put it in my bra but that might look a little weird to see this little bump. I'm just glad I love my cat. That's one Nook charger, one Ipad charger, one headphone, damage to my laptop charger.

Joyce, Indiana

Joyce, we can have a contest to see whose cat is the most destructive! Mine has destroyed 3 iPad covers, at least 20 pairs of shoes, an ottoman, an office chair, and a tote bag. At least mine only likes leather. He leaves my chargers alone.

When Bernie was a kitten, he pushed a computer flash drive on the floor for Brandy, the poodle, to chew on, so he got to do damage and someone else got blamed for it.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • barbiecat

This morning We got the garage cleaned out and hubby's car inside! It's the first time in three years. He gave me credit for doing it for his birthday, but honestly he did most of the work. Especially the heavy stuff. Still, it's nice to have it done. Now he won't need to scrape the windows every morning this winter. That makes me so happy! We took a load to the resale shop at the recycling center. Good to get that gone!

:bigsmile: Sylvia, I told my husband about what you did for your hubby's birthday and he said "What a class act" :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: Jb, Last night when we got ready to go to the big dinner, Jake had to change his mind three times about what to wear because of pants that wouldn’t zip up easily…………so this morning I read your poem to Jake and he declared it “outstanding”

:flowerforyou: Jake and I sat with the speaker so I was able to sit before dinner and talk to her rather than walk around talking to everyone I knew. I was moderately OK with what I ate
    one piece of cornbread, a modest helping of stuffing, one deviled egg, cherry tomatoes, and a lot of turkey.

:flowerforyou: I walked the dogs one at a time this morning and will walk them again one at a time later. It rained a lot yesterday and while we were at dinner there was a huge windstorm that blew down branches and needles from the evergreen trees. Today it is clear and cold.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: When I brought the turkey to the dinner last night I brought two giant bags and asked the carvers to save my a fair share of the turkey carcasses………this morning I started making soup and discovered that I had three carcasses and a packet of small bits of meat for the soup…..we will eat well for a long time.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where the sun is shining and the ground is covered with tree parts after last night's storm

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    I am back again. I have been battling to get rid of DCIS early stage breast cancer (or non-invasive cancer/pre-cancer) since January

I have had 3 lumpectomy surgeries and they cannot get clear margins. I am scheduled for the 4th last attempt to get it all on November 26 which will entail a large amount of tissue being removed on the left and a reduction and breast lift on the right. I am currently a generous double d and they hope to leave me with a C or large b cup. If this time does not work then I will have a 5th surgery to remove the whole breast. So I am hoping this it?mother I will need 5 weeks of radiation for 5'days per week.

So. I have to lose the weight and stop drinking so much alcohol. the type. I have is estrogen sensitive and being overweight and drinking too much makes it grow faster. I have nuclear grade 3 comedo with necrosis cells so it is already the most aggressive of pre-cancers. I have to stick to the program this time. I started at 157 and I was 153 today. So that is 4 lbs in one week, I did 25 minutes on the elliptical and walked the dog for 30 minutes and tracked my food.

I have always found this particular thread to be very supportive. I will be 60 in May so I need to lose the weight and get fit by then for sure.

Susan
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Day 3: thankful for a beautiful day and that the scale is finally moving in the right direction again. I am now officially 1/2 lb. lighter than I was on Jan 1, but still 6 lbs above the low I hit on April 19.

Prayers for those facing medical procedures, family drama, and other situations that life throws at you. Congrats to those with scale and non-scale victories.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Happy November to all - bumping for later
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Hi ladies. I'm JB from PA. I'm 60 yrs old. I'm retired and disabled. I'm busting out with joy. I stepped on the scale this morning and it started with a "2". It was 296.5lbs. I haven't seen that number for a very long time. I started out heaviest at 369 and when I started on MFP in late June I was 349. Now this is so awesome. I just had to share with someone.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I try to do either Leslie Sansone or Tai Chi DVD's every day and light dumb bells every other day when I can. I have severe arthritis which limits movements but I try to push those limits as much as I can.

November Goals:

1. Log everything
    2. Move every day (even on days I don't think I can)
    3. Keep water intake up
    4. Go for a walk
    5. Help my sister more (she has Multiple Sclerosis and is at her home)

Hope ya'll have a great day.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Nov 3rd. I am thankful for my husband. We have been married for 41 years. have they been blissful, picture perfect??? No. But yet he is not perfect and neither am I. We both come from completely different backgrounds and there have been clashes. But we love each other. He is sitting his in his robe, thin grey hair and varicrose veins all over his legs and I love him. Far cry from what he was whne we first met but that's OK. I'm not either. Once I asked him if my MS would ever make him divorce me. his response was that he married me in sickness and in health and that meant MS also. Marriage takes commitment and comprimise and it has been that. He was a rock during my parents illness and my MS and even his own heart attack. God found some one for me that even though we have different backgrounds and values we still have the same values in so many things. Money, child rearing, investments, our home, caring for our elderly family members. He has some quirks that a lot of people like to laugh about but I know that I will always have a supply of toilet paper and paper towels in the house!!! I will always know that the oil levels in the cars are perfect and the tires have just the right amount of air pressure. So on this day, Charlie, I am thankful for your love and devotion to our marriage and family and each other.

I have decided that I don't like this sample that my doctor gave me for my bowels. It isn't even on my insurance policies formulary so I'm sure it's expensive. He told me to take 2 pills a day and all I have is diarrhea so I went down to 1 pill and I have so much cramping until I can finally have a loose stool. Today I went through my pill keeper that I had just done last night for the week and took out all the medicine I can't take for 7 days before my colonoscopy. So there goes my fiber pills, multivitamin and aspirin. What with my fiber tablets gone and me having to be on a low fiber diet for the whole week I don't know how constipated I'll be. Maybe I should take these sample pills I hate during that 7 day period. I'll need to call the office and ask if it is OK to take these pills.

You all have a good day, Joyce, indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    :flowerforyou: Happy Sunday to all my Vit F ladies. The broad leaf maple in our front yard has shed almost all its leaves.

:flowerforyou: Welcome JB from PA. And welcome to all the newcomers.

My goal for October was to become more active. Goal for November is to follow through with that :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    - Jazzercise - 1 hr each Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday
    - Yoga - 1 hr Saturday
    - Walk - 1/2 hr at lunch 2-3 x work week

I also want to continue with self-care; i.e. chiropractor and massage once a month.

Have a great day!
    :heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    :smile: Hi Ladies Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend, Ours was busy getting yard put in order for winter seems its coming too soon!

:flowerforyou: Katla in answer to your question, Sudbury is 5 hours north of Toronto we had flurries but they didn't stay but its
    -2 celcius today

:flowerforyou: JB love your poem

well wishes to all Juanita in sudbury
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Praying for you Susan.
    hugs
    jane
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi, it's been a busy exhausting day. It certainly is chilly here today but beautiful and sunny.

I didn't sleep well at all last night so it will be an early night. Went to aquafit again this morning and then grocery shopping. DD bbq'd for what will most likely be the last time of the season. Most of our meals have been made now for the week. Fruit has been cut up and in containers for snacks at work.

Have a great night everyone

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Tonight my son and grandkids came over for supper. I made breakfast foods instead, and it was lots of fun. I made pancakes, french toast, bacon and cheesy hash browns. For me I made a no-salt Swiss cheese omelet. I did not even TOUCH that bacon, except for cooking it. Not even a taste! The kids were fun to watch playing with Bruno, playing with the electronic piano and dancing around the living room. Gosh I wish I had that energy. Bruno was sitting and shaking hands for bits of bacon from the kids.
    He was having a blast.

Sylvia
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    tstiing down, and my foot hurts, will ice it for a bit, just finished doing the lawn riding mower and push, think that will be the last time for the push mower but my DH is anal about the leaves, we have 2 tree's in the back yard, one dumps all its leaves and then the other one waits and does all its leaves, why cant they be in sync and do it together.. but DH likes to have a pristine lawn, so every weekend, if its not raining,we do leaves...
    thats the one thing about Florida, no raking and no lawn mowing!!!!
    i am having a whole wheat bagel with cranberries with the greek yogurt cream cheese and a cup of tea- let me just say it is heavenly:bigsmile:
    going to take a shower and then over to my FIL , then to Lowe's, Sam's, and out for pizza

Sorry about your foot. Hope it gets better soon. :flowerforyou: As far as the leaves, that's the beauty of nature, it does what it wants to do. We labor for its sake.:smile:
  • christschild2
    I'm 49 and a half. Can I play? I'm thankful to have found this thread!
    Deb from Indiana

:flowerforyou: WELCOME DEB!!!
  • christschild2
    Tonight my son and grandkids came over for supper. I made breakfast foods instead, and it was lots of fun. I made pancakes, french toast, bacon and cheesy hash browns. For me I made a no-salt Swiss cheese omelet. I did not even TOUCH that bacon, except for cooking it. Not even a taste! The kids were fun to watch playing with Bruno, playing with the electronic piano and dancing around the living room. Gosh I wish I had that energy. Bruno was sitting and shaking hands for bits of bacon from the kids.
    He was having a blast.

Sylvia

There is something to be said about breakfast for supper. Especially with special family. Glad you had a blast.
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: all the turkey bones turned into soup with matzo balls, carrots, celery, onions, parsnips, and bits of turkey. A good friend came over to cheer on our football team to a win in overtime and we enjoyed bowls of soup at halftime. Jake did most of the dog walking and the dogs spent a lot of time begging for pieces of turkey.......yes, they got some :bigsmile: