How are you going to avoid holiday binging?

Options

Replies

• manda79rn
    manda79rn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Such great advice... I think it's all how you handle things individually. Personally, I work out very hard up to days I know I will "splurge" I allow myself portions of things and then get right back on after.. it doesn't always work but I think admitting that you may have a hurdle and then making some type of game plan is way better then just being like "f it".. my whole thing is.. I work hard, I'm not blowing a month of hard work on a couple days of binge eating that honestly will make me feel crappy because I'm not use to eating those types of foods.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't have problems with holidays and I don't see why so many people struggle with them. But good luck to those of you who do.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Christmas I will just eat whatever I want. Depends if I'm working Christmas Day or not - last year it was cakes, chocolate, samosas, then Xmas dinner at night.

Then for NYE I'll go back to normal so I can fit in my outfit!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'll eat and drink what I want in reasonable portion sizes and continue exercising daily as usual.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Last night, I went to a friend's house. I did nothing but NUM UM UM. It was not even a holiday. But when you are having fun with friends and the food is right in your face. Everyone is snacking on something. What can I do? :drinker:

just say no....
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I invited my co-workers to set up their usual ongoing spread of holiday yumminess around the corner instead of ALL ACROSS MY DESK (I'm at the receptionist station). That way, we can all go get a treat when we want one instead of just mindlessly grabbing something as we walk by.

My guiding principle will be to celebrate the holiDAY, not a holiWEEK or a holiMONTH. I'll stick to my plant-based eating plan and 1,750 calories a day every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Year, and then I'll go right back to the plan and not worry about it. I'll be especially mindful of my alcohol consumption (big calorie trap for me!) and be sure to eat plenty of nourishing food before I munch on cake and candy. And I'll keep logging every day :D
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat really well and exercise a ton this month so on Thanksgiving I wont' have to worry.. and the same for December and Christmas.

12 pounds by Christmas! I GOT THIS!
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My plan is to not avoid the binging at all. I look forward to it and will embrace it fully. 1 horribly self destructive day in November and December wont have much of a long term impact and I am good the rest of the time and deserve a holiday treat.

3rds covered in gravy here I come!!!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is at my house this year, I will be putting out heathy things and I will weigh my turkey and stuffing. I really don't care if my family gives me weird look because of it. I'll eat all the good stuff, just gonna make sure it's portion controled. Now for Xmas at my sister's house, do I wanna bring the food scale with me?? I'll think about that one!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I just eat bad stuff on the actual holiday(s). As far as parties go, they are usually potluck and if not, the host never minds if I bring a nice fruit or veggie tray. I snack on that and drink water.
    I have a HUGE family and if I feel like I'm losing control at all of the festivities, since they are ALL year long,I will make sure I work out well the day of the party, eat something healthy right before I go, have one serving of some sort of protein, and will have 2 one half cup servings of the bad stuff. I don't actually measure it, but I'm sure its close. That way I get something I want but don't go overboard.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation and if I do decide to have ALL the foodz one day I don't let it ruin my week. If you don't think of it as a diet or something you HAVE to do, but think of it as your new healthier life it will be easier and feel less restrictive.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I guess it's simply going to have to be all about the willpower. I think on Thanksgiving and Christmas I might actually have a lot of different things, but maybe smaller portions. I guess it's also important to be mentally prepared to resist eating a lot of everything. Or have an off day, within reason.
  • momofGD
    momofGD Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I won't avoid it. I plan on most likely over indulging over the holidays but I hope to do it more sensibly than I have in the past. So instead of eating more buns with butter and cookies...I will eat more turkey....etc. And if I do gain a pound or so...that's life. I just get right back up again and keep working at it. A day or two of bad eating won't undo everything.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree - I dont call it cheating if I log it because I have admitted to it and will hopefully make up for it :-)
  • garbagedog
    Options
    I plan to work on alternate snack recipes, like the 2-ingredient cookies (2 bananas + 1 cup oatmeal for 15 minutes at 350 degrees), so that, even if I do binge, it's not quite so bad. :) I have a list of cookies and snacks I plan to try. I will share once I'm done putting them all together.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Portion control, self control, and extra time in the gym to allow myself more wiggle room to enjoy more food.
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Fill up on salad and protein. Usually there is some form of both available at most holiday events.

Sometimes I eat a snack (high on protein and/or fat) before I go to things where there will be lots of tempting things, that way I'm already kinda full and just want a bite or two of each thing.

Wine/drinking is gonna be the holiday thing I have to be conscious of and really work hard on. Alcohol does a lot more to disrupt weight loss than just provide empty calories, there's a lot of research showing it promotes fat storage.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My plan is to not avoid the binging at all. I look forward to it and will embrace it fully. 1 horribly self destructive day in November and December wont have much of a long term impact and I am good the rest of the time and deserve a holiday treat.

3rds covered in gravy here I come!!!

I like you! :smile:

OP: I've never been able to do more than 2nds, because by the end of the 2nd round I'm so stuffed I think I'm gonna puke, but hey, Thanksgiving and Christmas are 2 days out of the year, and I can moderate the other 363 days. 2 days won't undo the weight loss from the rest of the year. Don't avoid holiday gluttony, embrace it! :laugh:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm getting healthy and fit (and consequently thinner) so I can enjoy my life, holidays included. If there's no room for turkey and cookies, why would I be doing this?
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    For Thanksgiving and Christmas I allow myself to indulge a bit while minding my portion size, and paying attention as I eat. I have found that I can mindlessly eat foods without even enjoying them because my attention is elsewhere. So when it is something I really want (a rich desert) I take a small piece and then SAVOR EVERY BITE. This seems to trick my mind into thinking I ate a lot more... I end up satisfied without feeling guilty afterwards.

If I don't want to indulge (like at a Halloween Party last weekend) I made sure I was full and satisfied BEFORE I went to the party. I took a big bottle of water to sip on, and only ate things that were allowed (aka raw veggies). I packed a snack just in case I got hungry. I was able to avoid the candy, pasta, PIZZA! and all the yummy adult beverages. I didn't feel deprived because my body wasn't hungry and I focused on the interactions instead of the food I wasn't eating! :)