No sugar

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    What if I told you sugar is a carb?

You would be absolutely right, but also not answering the question of the OP:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    no white breads or white rice, white pasta,

Did you know that the only different in white and brown rice is fiber? The extra nutrients contained in brown rice are not bioreadily available, meaning your body can't break down the part that stores the extra nutrients. That's it.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to lose weight from not eating sugar, just trying to cut out the sugar that isn't coming from my natural foods.

What worked for me is what I call "bridge foods." For example, raisins gave me the sugar rush I enjoyed from chocolate but were still calorie-dense. They were my bridge for switching to grapes, which are now plenty sweet for me. I have no craving for chocolate (or raisins) at all.

130219-substitutions.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to lose weight from not eating sugar, just trying to cut out the sugar that isn't coming from my natural foods.

What worked for me is what I call "bridge foods." For example, raisins gave me the sugar rush I enjoyed from chocolate but were still calorie-dense. They were my bridge for switching to grapes, which are now plenty sweet for me. I have no craving for chocolate (or raisins) at all.

130219-substitutions.jpg

Now I want some chocolate chips.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

130219-substitutions.jpg

I'm upset I went grocery shopping already today because it looks fab to add to my morning Greek yogurt. D:

Now I want some chocolate chips.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    and cue 'what is clean eating' debate

fruits have sugars --- are they not clean?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

130219-substitutions.jpg

Just to note: The raisins and grapes both contain approximately 5x more sugar than the chocolate chips, in the serving sizes shown.

Of COURSE they curb your sugar craving.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    "And there is no reason to fear it and lowering sugar will not improve weight loss. " <
    I bet lowering sugar intake would indeed aid in weight loss. Just sayin'

How so? It takes 3500 calories to lose a lb of fat. That is the proven science. It doesn't suggest which macro nutrient it needs to come from. So if you maintain the same caloric deficit, how is lowering sugar going to improve fat loss? I would love to see science. If you want to see my science, read the below.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

Here in Mexico the average person ingests 68 spoons of sugar daily mostly thought soft drinks ( that are unfortunately cheaper than water ). If those people cut out, or at least cut down on sugary soft drinks you bet they will lose weight, if they don't replace those calories with other ones like filet Mignon or paté.
    People seem to forget that most people who want to cut out sugar will also cut down on things like soft drinks and bakery goods. If they cut down calories in regard to that you bet they will lose weight, because as we all know it's the calorie deficit that does it. If a person eats 3000 calories a day and 1500 are from sugar filled foods, they will lose if they cut those sugary foods out. Or are you saying that people don't get overweight from a dozen of doughnuts a day or a a six pack of soft drinks, cookies and candy? if they cut that out, they should lose weight, because no one I know actually eats plain sugar by the spoon full, usually it comes in a food/drink.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't crave sugar, your brain does. It remembers that yummy sweetness and tells you that you need more of it. Studies have shown it takes approximately 3 weeks to change a habit which is also just about as long as it will take for you to convince yourself that you feel great because you aren't eating the evil refined sugars and white flour.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

130219-substitutions.jpg
    Taco_zps8524e400.gif
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Why does everything on here turn into a debate? It gets so old. The OP wants to cut out sugar....so what? She doesn't need a reason that anyone else approves of.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    YES!! Another sugar thread............where's my popcorn? Wait..........does that turn to sugar? And how will that sugar interfere with the sugar I had in my white mocha this morn????

::exiting sarcastic font::
  • bmoliv66
    bmoliv66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Why does everything on here turn into a debate? It gets so old. The OP wants to cut out sugar....so what? She doesn't need a reason that anyone else approves of.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    "And there is no reason to fear it and lowering sugar will not improve weight loss. " <

How so? It takes 3500 calories to lose a lb of fat. That is the proven science. It doesn't suggest which macro nutrient it needs to come from. So if you maintain the same caloric deficit, how is lowering sugar going to improve fat loss? I would love to see science. If you want to see my science, read the below.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

Here in Mexico the average person ingests 68 spoons of sugar daily mostly thought soft drinks ( that are unfortunately cheaper than water ). If those people cut out, or at least cut down on sugary soft drinks you bet they will lose weight, if they don't replace those calories with other ones like filet Mignon or paté.
    People seem to forget that most people who want to cut out sugar will also cut down on things like soft drinks and bakery goods. If they cut down calories in regard to that you bet they will lose weight, because as we all know it's the calorie deficit that does it. If a person eats 3000 calories a day and 1500 are from sugar filled foods, they will lose if they cut those sugary foods out. Or are you saying that people don't get overweight from a dozen of doughnuts a day or a a six pack of soft drinks, cookies and candy? if they cut that out, they should lose weight, because no one I know actually eats plain sugar by the spoon full, usually it comes in a food/drink.

No the person consuming the 3000 calories will lose weight (even if 1500 of those 3000 calories come from sugary foods) as long as that 3000 calories has them in a calorie deficit period...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

If they cut down calories in regard to that you bet they will lose weight, because as we all know it's the calorie deficit that does it.

By your logic, lowering fat intake will improve weight loss. Lowering fiber intake will improve weight loss. Lowering protein intake will improve weight loss.

No kidding. Lowering CALORIE intake improves weight loss. If you eat 1400 calories with 100g of sugar or 1400 calories with 10g of sugar, weight loss will be the same.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Forever .
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Because she isn't the only one on MFP reading these threads and regardless to whether she wants to listen to those of us advocating that eating a well balanced diet can also include some discretionary items that contain the horrid SUGAR monster!! that there are others (Newbies) that are easily influenced and we just want to make sure both sides are represented..... Plus the whole thing that this is a public forum and we have just as much right to post what we see fit thing kinda applies..........
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    for me it is about 3 or 4 days
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

People don't get overweight from eating a dozen donuts a day or a six pack of soft drinks. They get overweight from eating a calorie surplus. I could eat a dozen donuts and not gain weight if I worked out enough.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Because she isn't the only one on MFP reading these threads and regardless to whether she wants to listen to those of us advocating that eating a well balanced diet can also include some discretionary items that contain the horrid SUGAR monster!! that there are others (Newbies) that are easily influenced and we just want to make sure both sides are represented..... Plus the whole thing that this is a public forum and we have just as much right to post what we see fit thing kinda applies..........

I would agree with you wholeheartedly if the OP had asked a different question. Her question was "How long till the cravings for sugar are gone once she begins clean eating?". That doesn't open up the topic to whatever anyone thinks about sugar and turning it into another sugar debate.